Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:42:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Opeth
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opeth  (Read 2669 times)
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« on: June 28, 2006, 03:08:28 PM »

Any fans of this incredible band?  ok

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 05:57:32 PM »

Of course, been a fan since Still Life came out! Smiley I'm actually going to see them live next Saturday, going to miss the WC quarterfinals but what the hell... Opeth is one of my all-time favorites, for sure.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 08:03:21 AM »

Nice band to kick back to and relax. I like their Damnation album at times. Most of their "rocker" songs are abyssmal, so I avoid those. Hell, I think just about every melodic death band should avoid fast songs, since they'll never reach the intensity of pure death metal. Just stick to slower songs with lots of instrumental work, some acoustics and clean singing, and the occasional growl. That's how good melodic death is supposed to sound.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 03:23:58 PM »

Yes.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:06:10 PM »

Bump.

Watershed is a stellar album.  Anyone want to agree with me?

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:31:29 AM »

I'm not entirely sold on Watershed, yet, but Blackwater Park is a masterpiece and I've never even heard what I'd call a mediocre Opeth album.  Damnation served as my crossover to more extreme metal (though it, obviously, was not an extreme metal album).

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 04:36:40 AM »

Watershed is one of the years best album. only out done by CD ok

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 05:52:39 AM »

I'm not entirely sold on Watershed, yet, but Blackwater Park is a masterpiece and I've never even heard what I'd call a mediocre Opeth album.  Damnation served as my crossover to more extreme metal (though it, obviously, was not an extreme metal album).
Watershed has plenty of the lighter side of Opeth's music, so if you like Damnation I'm pretty sure Watershed will grow on you.  You're right that you can't call any of their music mediocre.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »

Watershed has plenty of the lighter side of Opeth's music, so if you like Damnation I'm pretty sure Watershed will grow on you.  You're right that you can't call any of their music mediocre.

It's probably got more to do with the fact that I haven't really given it a serious listen.  Casual, while focusing on other things...sure.  But I've not really paid attention to the music, and need to in the near future.  I've been feeling more "Opethy" lately, so it's a matter of time.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »

Well, I"m listening to Watershed again, at the urging of y'all and my metal conscience, and it honestly just doesn't do it for me the way other Opeth albums have.  I know Ghost Reveries took some flack, too, but I thought it was pretty strong (and LOVED the organ...or more likely synth programmed to organ sounds).  Not sure why this one doesn't hit me the same way. 

Not that it's bad.  It just doesn't offer anything that I feel I can't get in better form on another Opeth album.  Like I said, my Opeth days began when I contrasted what I heard on Damnation with Blackwater Park, wondering how the same band produced those two pieces (without severe multiple personality disorder, that is).  I'm still exploring them, somewhat.  I'm very familiar with Damnation, BP, and GR, and I also own Deliverance and Still Life.  I haven't explored as much in their oldest three albums, but have had that on my "musical to do" list for quite some time.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: