Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:26:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AOL Poll that includes Axl.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AOL Poll that includes Axl.  (Read 5134 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 09:16:25 AM »

Shit to some he never existed in the 90's..

What a contrast in pics
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 09:41:49 AM »

The album that defined the band was released in 87, so they will forever and always be thought of as an 80's band even if they had their most commercial success in the 90's. If you think about it, of their 6 year existance, half were in the 80's, so it is not out of line to think of them as an 80's band.

Not to be a nit picker but since AFD and Lies outsold the Illusion albums worldwide, wouldn't that mean they had greater commercial success.....

They had a much bigger world tour in the early 90s but alot of the success and hype in the early 90s was due to the success of AFD and Lies
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 09:43:55 AM »

GNR and Axl were much more popular in the... 90's. I don't understand this "GNR = 80's" thing.

actually, they were more poular during the very late 80s;

after the Illusions tour they weren't really heard from again heh?

exceptht SI and OMG Embarrassed
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 09:45:22 AM »

many times gnr has been seen as a one album band, afd ins the only album that really gets any praise in the usa

it's like gnr was afd wwtj scom pc then nr then over..
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 01:27:05 PM »

The album that defined the band was released in 87, so they will forever and always be thought of as an 80's band even if they had their most commercial success in the 90's. If you think about it, of their 6 year existance, half were in the 80's, so it is not out of line to think of them as an 80's band.

Not to be a nit picker but since AFD and Lies outsold the Illusion albums worldwide, wouldn't that mean they had greater commercial success.....

They had a much bigger world tour in the early 90s but alot of the success and hype in the early 90s was due to the success of AFD and Lies
They sold more records in the 90s....period. You know, it's not like Appetite and Lies stopped selling after 1989. The Illusion tour and records is what further propelled GN'R into a massive international band. Appetite may have given GN'R the title of 'biggest band in America', but it was the Illusion records that gave them the title of 'biggest band in the world'.

They didn't really become a worldwide phenomenon until the release of the Illusions, which further pushed sales of their previous records (Appetite & Lies). In most European countries, the Illusions' singles and videos were far more popular than those of Appetite. Now in 2006, 2 years after the release of the extremely succesful 'Greatest Hits' a more open approach has been taken to further re-open Guns' past catalogue.

Although, yes, the hype of the Illusion records was created by the previous success Appetite & Lies, but it was the success of the Illusions, which pushed Appetite and Lies unto other major demographics. It was a mutual, commercial relationship that these records pertained...

neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 01:32:08 PM »

Titled: Better Off in the 80s. Should these 80s icons keep rockin? or should they have quit while they were ahead?

74% said Have quit after the 80s
26% Keep Rockin

Don't know if the direct link will work but here it is:
http://music.aol.com/photo-galleries/better-off-80s-guns-n-roses

Didn't see this posted..

73% to 27% now...

"This Melody Inside Of Me Still Searches For Solution"
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 02:10:05 PM »

They sold more records in the 90s....period. You know, it's not like Appetite and Lies stopped selling after 1989. The Illusion tour and records is what further propelled GN'R into a massive international band. Appetite may have given GN'R the title of 'biggest band in America', but it was the Illusion records that gave them the title of 'biggest band in the world'.

They didn't really become a worldwide phenomenon until the release of the Illusions, which further pushed sales of their previous records (Appetite & Lies). In most European countries, the Illusions' singles and videos were far more popular than those of Appetite. Now in 2006, 2 years after the release of the extremely succesful 'Greatest Hits' a more open approach has been taken to further re-open Guns' past catalogue.

Although, yes, the hype of the Illusion records was created by the previous success Appetite & Lies, but it was the success of the Illusions, which pushed Appetite and Lies unto other major demographics. It was a mutual, commercial relationship that these records pertained...

I guess you had to be a teenager when AFD and Lies came out to really understand just how much bigger they were when they first came out as opposed to the UYI era.......

By the time the Illusion albums came out GnR were starting to wear out there welcome
IndiannaRose
VIP

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 02:13:39 PM »

I guess you had to be a teenager when AFD and Lies came out to really understand just how much bigger they were when they first came out as opposed to the UYI era.......

By the time the Illusion albums came out GnR were starting to wear out there welcome
Yes, in the United States definately. Although, the situation was nothing like this in continents like Europe & S.America. For these regions the Illusion albums were more of a 'welcome' to the new & old catalogue of the band (at that point in time).
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »

I would have to say that they were alot bigger in the 80's in the LIES/APPETITE Era.. They were gigantic and everyone liked them.. The illsusions is when they started getting cartoonish and people started losing respect for Axl...

IndiannaRose
VIP

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 02:30:22 PM »

I would have to say that they were alot bigger in the 80's in the LIES/APPETITE Era.. They were gigantic and everyone liked them.. The illsusions is when they started getting cartoonish and people started losing respect for Axl...
Ok, thanx for deciding to not read up on anything posted in this thread. Roll Eyes For fuck's sake, they were a mainstream rock band in the 80s for barely 1.5 years. Much of their material from the 80s began to ultimately become more successful in the 90s alongside their 90s material.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 02:32:25 PM by IndiannaRose » Logged
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 02:32:58 PM »

Between 88 and 92 it was all about GNR, like I said in a previous post, I don't think the poll is meant to be taken literally and you can only focus on the exact moments between 1980 and 1989.  Whether they should or not, GNR often gets lumped in with the "hair metal" bands like poison, the crue etc... even though we all know they were really in a category all of their own.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2006, 05:43:13 PM »

doesn't it look like they are two completly different people?

Wow, how time changes everything

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2006, 07:02:41 PM »

"...or should they have quit while they were ahead?"

Going by that philosophy while remembering that there hasn't been an actual studio release of original material since 1991, Axl did quit while he was ahead.  Way ahead.  He got up and walked out on rock n' roll while he was a household name and GN'R were the biggest band in the world. 

"Guns N' Roses were rock gods in the '80s, with 'Appetite for Destruction' selling over 30 million copies worldwide. Even without a new CD in 14 years, Axl Rose is still selling out stadiums worldwide with an entirely new GN'R."

There's the answer to their little poll question.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 08:46:23 PM »

Ok, thanx for deciding to not read up on anything posted in this thread. Roll Eyes For fuck's sake, they were a mainstream rock band in the 80s for barely 1.5 years. Much of their material from the 80s began to ultimately become more successful in the 90s alongside their 90s material.

It really would help if you were alive during the period of time you are trying to base an argument on.....in the states (USA), as I and others have stated, Guns were losing the respect of the casual fan, media, etc for their eradic and unpredictable behavior........but being born in 1990, it would be difficult to be aware of it Wink
IndiannaRose
VIP

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 11:56:23 PM »

It really would help if you were alive during the period of time you are trying to base an argument on.....in the states (USA), as I and others have stated, Guns were losing the respect of the casual fan, media, etc for their eradic and unpredictable behavior........but being born in 1990, it would be difficult to be aware of it Wink
I was born in 1989 dude (heh, like it makes a difference hihi), and I already have stated the whole 'GN'R losing American respect in the 90s thing':

Yes, in the United States definately. Although, the situation was nothing like this in continents like Europe & S.America. For these regions the Illusion albums were more of a 'welcome' to the new & old catalogue of the band (at that point in time).

^This is my response to a post made a few posts above concerning the same issue.^ I've already addressed the topic...
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2006, 08:10:10 AM »

Ok, fair point Grin
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: