Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 03:51:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228111 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  VR solos v New GnR solos
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR solos v New GnR solos  (Read 5825 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« on: June 25, 2006, 03:07:08 AM »

A lot of the bashing that goes on regarding the New GnR is the guitar work.  But let me ask you this, whose guitar solos are better?  To me Buckethead's solos on IRS and TWAT, and Robin's solo on Better are arguably better than the solos on Contraband.  Robin's solo on The Blues and Brian May's solo on CITR are about even with the better solos on Contraband.  So even though Slash's solos in old GnR might be better, his solos post GnR to me haven't been better than what new GnR is doing.  To me Buckethead's solo on TWAT is as good as any of Slash's old GnR dramatic solos, and his IRS solo is short but great
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 01:07:02 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
GNVR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 07:20:49 AM »

I think VR solos are better than the New GNR stuff.? Just listen to 'You Got No Right'.? Slash's work on that is amazing.? His solo in 'Slither' is also good and his work on 'Loving the Aliens' is beautiful.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 07:28:20 AM by GNVR » Logged
velvetrevolver2005
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 07:34:08 AM »

I think VR solos are better than the New GNR stuff.? Just listen to 'You Got No Right'.? Slash's work on that is amazing.? His solo in 'Slither' is also good and his work on 'Loving the Aliens' is beautiful.

Agree 100%, you cannot beat Slash. The man is a rock god.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 09:56:05 AM »

If Slash was recording a Gn'R album you can best he would go all out and peoples jaws would be dropping.... He took a different approach on Contraband and that has been stated.  They didn't want it to sound like Gn'R and didn't solos to be overboard.. That's why some of them are so short which isn't a bad thing.. That being said there still  are some classic Slash solos on Contraband...

Dirty Little Thing, You Got No Right, Sucker Train Blues and Loving The Alien are all awesome and classic.  Plus there are plenty other rockin ones like Slither, Headspace.....

More Slash on the next album will be better but peopel exagerate when they say Slash doesn't have any memorable solos in VR..

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »

The YGNR solo from Contraband is excellent and so is 'The Blues' solo by Finck. Hard to pick but i'd still go with the time tested and proven Slash.  Wink

Fuck 'Em All.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 10:11:06 AM »

More Slash on the next album will be better but peopel exagerate when they say Slash doesn't have any memorable solos in VR..

People must be deaf or they just jump on the bandwagon when they say that.. Same people that gave irs twat better citr 10,000 listens didn't do the sme for CB..
ygnr slither dlt ftp lta all have really good solos, so ...

I am not even going to compare, it's what your taste is..
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 10:16:59 AM »

A lot of the bashing that goes on regarding the New GnR is the guitar work.  But let me ask you this, whose guitar solos are better?  To me Buckethead's solos on IRS and TWAT, and Robin's solo on Better are all "better" than the solos on Contraband.  Robin's solo on The Blues and Brian May's solo on CITR are about even with the better solos on Contraband.  So even though Slash's solos in old GnR might be better, his solos post GnR to me haven't been better than what new GnR is doing.  And Buckethead's solo on TWAT is as good as any of Slash's old GnR dramatic solos, while Bucket's solo on IRS is just as good as any of the heavier solos, at least to me
completely agree!!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 10:18:14 AM »

no new gnr song can top coma, to me that song is untouchable.. Guitar on estranged and november rain are second to none..
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 10:31:56 AM »

no new gnr song can top coma, to me that song is untouchable.. Guitar on estranged and november rain are second to none..

You got no right and Slither have 2 quintessential Slash solos and they make the album for me. That being said, I love the guitar work on TWAT. When I put that song on, I'm really just waiting for the Soloing to begin, more than anything else. Tough to compare, but I'd have to go with the VR solos.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 10:37:34 AM »

You got no right and Slither have 2 quintessential Slash solos and they make the album for me. That being said, I love the guitar work on TWAT. When I put that song on, I'm really just waiting for the Soloing to begin, more than anything else. Tough to compare, but I'd have to go with the VR solos.

twat is great work, second fav song without a doubt..
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 11:17:29 AM »

twat is great work, second fav song without a doubt..

I tell ya, I like IRS from the beginning, but I think I like that one more now than I did before.  I hear a lot of Zeppelin in that song.
makane
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 03:43:57 PM »

Bucketheads solos were great, but since hes not in the band anymore, well... the new-gn'r really doesn't havy any great solos recorded/published atleast yet. Yeah, we have Robin's "Better" solo, but it isn't anything mind blowing.
So if you don't count Buckethead as new-gn'r, I would say Velvet Revolver has overall much better solos.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
greendog
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 05:34:05 PM »

aside from slashs most known 'post gnr work' (contraband)... saying that his playing isnt as good as what the new guns n roses is etc, is all rubbish... i suggest you go and listen to 'Street Child' the guitar work in that is nothing short of amazing, the solo is absolutly gorgeous!

on contraband the solo in spectacle reminds me of Bad Apples, to me, its the most Guns n Roses sounding solo on the album.

snakepit v1 and v2 have very memerable and typical slash solos.

'nuff said.
Rock the jungle
Rocker

Here Today... GONE TO BARCELONA JODER!!

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 06:40:09 PM »

Velvet Revolver better..... Even though I love the virtuosos in my opinion in Gn' R world the solos have to deal with the speed of the song. And at the moment it doesn't... I support my oppinion in the song Better. Although I love the song, I think the solo doesn't deal with the strong part of the song because the solo is to fast for the rythm... That's what I think... If you listen to nightrain, solos deal very much with the rythm....

What do you think guys?

beer
Rock the jungle
Rocker

Here Today... GONE TO BARCELONA JODER!!

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 06:41:41 PM »

And also it can be a poll thread... ok smoking
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 07:22:16 PM »

So if you don't count Buckethead as new-gn'r, I would say Velvet Revolver has overall much better solos.

From all indicationgs Buckethead's work will remain on the album  Tongue
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 10:57:38 PM »

aside from slashs most known 'post gnr work' (contraband)... saying that his playing isnt as good as what the new guns n roses is etc, is all rubbish... i suggest you go and listen to 'Street Child' the guitar work in that is nothing short of amazing, the solo is absolutly gorgeous!

on contraband the solo in spectacle reminds me of Bad Apples, to me, its the most Guns n Roses sounding solo on the album.

snakepit v1 and v2 have very memerable and typical slash solos.

'nuff said.

No one is saying Slash hasn't made good songs since he left, but overall the Snakepit albums were pretty average.  Contraband was a good album that had some vintage Slash on it, like the riff for Superhuman and some of the aforementioned solos.  It's not that he can't do it, it's just that his consistency for churning out great riffs and solos that seemed almost routine back in the GnR heyday has not been apparent since he left

To me Buckethead's solos on TWAT is better than any of the epic solos on Contraband and the IRS solo is better than any of the any of the heavier solos on the album too.  In fact I think the TWAT outro is neck and neck with the epic solos even from the glory days but that's just one man's opinion
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 02:42:25 AM »

Well Firstly I would say thats not at all a fair comparision...i mean it should be New GnR vs All Slash's post GNR solos not just VR. Seems a bit unfair given that VR intentionally avoided having big solos....most of the solos on 5'oclock are fairly massive.

Anyway...its pointless to compare them anyway.

Bottom line - the new GNR solos are cool - like Robin on "The Blues", his "TWAT" solo in the middle is cool, buckhead on IRS...very cool stuff.

However slash has proven himself on 1,000,000 occasions to also be a brillant soloist. Listen to his solo in "fields of joy" by lenny kravitz, Street Child, Snakepit, all of the GNR records...i mean theres just no denying he is pure class!!

To be honest i dont care for robin's interpretation of the slash solos when they play the AFD stuff, but I totally love robins work on the new songs...

So i think at the end of the day, we're lucky to have two really talented bands. OR we will be when CD is released.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 03:42:47 AM »

To be honest i dont care for robin's interpretation of the slash solos when they play the AFD stuff, but I totally love robins work on the new songs...

I really agree with that statement... I listen to stuff from 02 saw them several times this year, and listen to nr scom, mr b my michelle I think robin screws up a lot of the solos... I do like what he does on better

As for slash both snakepit albums he plays his ass off...

I think a lot of people talk shit though, for all the talking about snakepit the albums should be 4 times platinum.. So everyone knocking it doesn't own it.. No way anyone can hear 5 oclock, ain't life grand, all his solo shit ellan blackstreet then contraband and say he can't solo or some stupid shit like that
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 04:15:56 AM »

I don't really like Robin's takes on the old material much.  Buckethead, Thal and Fortus all do better with the old Slash and Izzy stuff than Robin.  But I think it's clear why Robin's in the band when you hear a song like Better, he's a better songwriter than he is a technical player
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: