Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:42:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228481 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Will Velvet Revolver Survive Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Velvet Revolver Survive Chinese Democracy?  (Read 43203 times)
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2006, 02:17:04 PM »

IF Chinese Democracy ever comes out, I am sure VR will survive.  The only good thing about GNR being split into the 2 bands we have today is there could be twice the rock music to listen to.  I don't think Chinese Democracy will ever be released, but if it does, VR will survive.  I mean we have all heard the leaks and the live songs, and VR is still alive.  Not sure how adding a few new GNR unheard tracks would be the demise of VR.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
titi
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2006, 02:50:26 AM »

No i dont think so Chinese.... will be great
Wayne
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2006, 12:32:57 PM »

VR wont get hurt from chinese dem  they are mediocer and wont be effected by greatness.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2006, 01:03:35 PM »

VR wont get hurt from chinese dem? they are mediocer and wont be effected by greatness.

Roll Eyes

RichardNixon
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2006, 08:03:05 PM »

There is room enough for both. However, I think that maybe after hearing CITR and "Better," Slash and comp. decided to go back to the drawing board.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2006, 09:54:42 PM »

However, I think that maybe after hearing CITR and "Better," Slash and comp. decided to go back to the drawing board.

No disrespect to your good self or your opinion, but I highly doubt the tunes mentioned above
are going to drive any band, let alone a multi platinum, number 1 selling, Grammy award winning outfit "back to the drawing board".

That's just goofy.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RichardNixon
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2006, 10:09:52 PM »

However, I think that maybe after hearing CITR and "Better," Slash and comp. decided to go back to the drawing board.

No disrespect to your good self or your opinion, but I highly doubt the tunes mentioned above
are going to drive any band, let alone a multi platinum, number 1 selling, Grammy award winning outfit "back to the drawing board".

That's just goofy.

Considering how much better those leaks are than anything from ?Contraband,? I wouldn?t be surprised. And while it?s an accomplishment that VR had a #1 album and won a Grammy, I wouldn?t use that as a barometer to measure quality music. Now that's just goofy...Britney Spears has had several #1 albums and no doubt won countless awards, so what?

?Contraband? was a good, very good album. But if they want to top what Axl is doing, they better come up with something exceptional for their new album.
? ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 10:14:07 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2006, 10:55:04 PM »

Considering how much better those leaks are than anything from ?Contraband,?

Subjective opinion, and you're entilted to it.

And while it?s an accomplishment that VR had a #1 album and won a Grammy, I wouldn?t use that as a barometer to measure quality music.

I wasn't using it a "barometer to measure quality music", that's a matter of taste.

Just merely stating a band with that kind pedigree/resume and proven track record of success would hardly be "sent back to the drawing board" by a couple of demo's.

? ?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
gueli
Headliner

Rock and Roll Dudes!!!

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2006, 11:04:20 PM »

I think they will survive CD but mainly due to the fact that the press will Bash CD because it ain`t gonna be a typical Rock And Roll album and will say that Velvet Revolver is the "real GnR", bla bla. But in my opinion CD will be much better than VR next album  Smiley

This melody inside of me still searches for solution...
RichardNixon
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2006, 11:30:18 PM »

Considering how much better those leaks are than anything from ?Contraband,?

Subjective opinion, and you're entilted to it.

And while it?s an accomplishment that VR had a #1 album and won a Grammy, I wouldn?t use that as a barometer to measure quality music.

I wasn't using it a "barometer to measure quality music", that's a matter of taste.

Just merely stating a band with that kind pedigree/resume and proven track record of success would hardly be "sent back to the drawing board" by a couple of demo's.

? ?

1. Yeah it's my subjective opinion. It's also my subjective opinion that "The Seventh Seal" is better than "American Pie."

2. I don't see why VR wouldn't be threatened by Axl's new demos. Rolling Stone and NME both gave them rave reviews, RS even said the leaks were better than anything on "Contraband." Not that RS is gospel, but that's still gotta sting and be a wake-up call.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2006, 11:55:08 PM »

2. I don't see why VR wouldn't be threatened by Axl's new demos. Rolling Stone and NME both gave them rave reviews, RS even said the leaks were better than anything on "Contraband." Not that RS is gospel, but that's still gotta sting and be a wake-up call.

I seriously doubt a group of musicians who have had the success they enjoyed in the prior bands and the success they've had collectively beyond the groups that brought them their initial acclaim are "threatened" by anything musically at this point in their careers.

They're seasoned professionals with a proven track record.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

RichardNixon
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2006, 12:04:59 AM »

I seriously doubt a group of musicians who have had the success they enjoyed in the prior bands and the success they've had collectively beyond the groups that brought them their initial acclaim are "threatened" by anything musically at this point in their careers.

They're seasoned professionals with a proven track record.

Yes, I agree that statement. However, for their new album they need to push the envelope and create something better than ?Contraband.? Artistically, that album was a step back from what both Weiland and Slash/Duff/Matt had done before. If Rolling Stone/NME and the public feel that Guns N? Roses new material outshines VR, VR is going to have to come up with something better than what was on album #1.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2006, 12:37:49 AM »

1. Yeah it's my subjective opinion. It's also my subjective opinion that "The Seventh Seal" is better than "American Pie."

So whats the implication here?  That theres some kind of credible consensus that the GNR demos are superior to VRs recordings? 

I don't see why VR wouldn't be threatened by Axl's new demos. Rolling Stone and NME both gave them rave reviews, RS even said the leaks were better than anything on "Contraband." Not that RS is gospel, but that's still gotta sting and be a wake-up call.

VRs recieved some good reviews - 4 stars in Rolling Stone for instance.  "Slither" as a single recieved rave reviews.  Better than that, it was validated with something like 12 weeks at #1 on rock radio.  Then they followed it up with another #1 single on rock radio.  Aside from that, whats threatening about two good reviews for Axls demos (although your initial point was about the demos themselves and not the press they garnered)?  Should they be threatened by every bands good review?  Youre writing as if GNRs success somehow affects Velvet Revolvers, which I doubt to be the case.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2006, 12:44:53 AM »

If Rolling Stone/NME and the public feel that Guns N? Roses new material outshines VR, VR is going to have to come up with something better than what was on album #1.

RS and NME's opinions/comparisons will have absolutely zero baring on VR striving to "come up with something better". ?I don't think musicians of their caliber and background need much in the form of motivation to outdo themselves, confidence and self expectation provides plenty of drive in and of itself.

As for the general music listening publics view, that jury is still in fact out.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:46:56 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

RichardNixon
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2006, 12:49:32 AM »

So whats the implication here?? That theres some kind of credible consensus that the GNR demos are superior to VRs recordings??

I don't see why VR wouldn't be threatened by Axl's new demos. Rolling Stone and NME both gave them rave reviews, RS even said the leaks were better than anything on "Contraband." Not that RS is gospel, but that's still gotta sting and be a wake-up call.

VRs recieved some good reviews - 4 stars in Rolling Stone for instance.? "Slither" as a single recieved rave reviews.? Better than that, it was validated with something like 12 weeks at #1 on rock radio.? Then they followed it up with another #1 single on rock radio.? Aside from that, whats threatening about two good reviews for Axls demos (although your initial point was about the demos themselves and not the press they garnered)?? Should they be threatened by every bands good review?? Youre writing as if GNRs success somehow affects Velvet Revolvers, which I doubt to be the case.

Of course VR shouldn?t be threatened by every band?s success, only Guns N? Roses. This will be like David Lee Roth vs. Van Halen. If Guns N? Roses ?Chinese Democracy? sells 15 million copies world-wide, gets tons of press, good reviews and a positive reception from the public, VR is in trouble.

When I listen to any of the GN?R demos it?s like ?Slash who?? ?Duff who??

I?m not claiming to know what?s in people?s minds or what will happen in the future. However, I don?t think it?s far fetched to think that VR could be taking so long because they know that Axl?s new Guns N? Roses outshines ?Contraband.? ? ?
RichardNixon
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2006, 12:52:32 AM »

If Rolling Stone/NME and the public feel that Guns N? Roses new material outshines VR, VR is going to have to come up with something better than what was on album #1.

RS and NME's opinions/comparisons will have absolutely zero baring on VR striving to "come up with something better". ?I don't think musicians of their caliber and background need much in the form of motivation to outdo themselves, confidence and self expectation provides plenty of drive in and of itself.

As for the general music listening publics view, that jury is still in fact out.

Of course the reviews and opinions of ?Chinese Democracy? are going to affect Velvet Revolver. VR are a successful band, no denying that, but they still dwell in the shadow of the ginger one?
RichardNixon
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2006, 12:59:27 AM »

LEGEND

NOT LEGEND

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2006, 01:02:32 AM »

..but they still dwell in the shadow of the ginger one?

"Ginger" colored ocular devices tend to cloud objectivty...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2006, 01:03:43 AM »

Of course VR shouldn?t be threatened by every band?s success, only Guns N? Roses. This will be like David Lee Roth vs. Van Halen. If Guns N? Roses ?Chinese Democracy? sells 15 million copies world-wide, gets tons of press, good reviews and a positive reception from the public, VR is in trouble.

Why are they in trouble?  Youre offering fanboy rhetoric without any real basis for it. 

fanboy rhetoric

I?m not claiming to know what?s in people?s minds or what will happen in the future. However, I don?t think it?s far fetched to think that VR could be taking so long because they know that Axl?s new Guns N? Roses outshines ?Contraband.?   

Again, no basis in reality, only in fantasy.
RichardNixon
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2006, 01:19:08 AM »

Why are they in trouble?? Youre offering fanboy rhetoric without any real basis for it.?

fanboy rhetoric

I?m not claiming to know what?s in people?s minds or what will happen in the future. However, I don?t think it?s far fetched to think that VR could be taking so long because they know that Axl?s new Guns N? Roses outshines ?Contraband.?? ?

Again, no basis in reality, only in fantasy.

Did I not just state "I?m not claiming to know what?s in people?s minds or what will happen in the future."

My whole point all along has been that if ?Chinese Democracy? takes off, VR are going to have to compete with that, that?s the reality. Your throwing ?fan-boy? around is just derogatory and not relevant. Saying VR is in trouble if ?Chinese Democracy? takes off is on no way, shape or form ?fan-boy rhetoric.? ? ?

Yes my opinion is that the new GN'R songs are better than VR, you are free to feel otherwise, but you wont be called a fan-boy by me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 01:27:22 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: