Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228480 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Will Velvet Revolver Survive Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Velvet Revolver Survive Chinese Democracy?  (Read 43149 times)
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2006, 11:59:09 AM »

Persoanlly I think CD is gonna get blasted by the press no matter how good it is for any number of reasons: band members, length of time, cost, sound, comparisons to old Guns, etc...

And VR will be compared to their last album and how they grew as a band.....

So, I think VR will have an easier time of it than GnR and they will survive CD if it ever comes out
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2006, 08:37:32 AM »

every once in a while I have one, but very far and few in between Grin hihi
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2006, 12:03:45 AM »

I am more curious whether VR will survive "Contraband"
Its a great piece of music, I alternate with GNR stuff and VR, that's how good it is.
If the next album is on par with Contraband or better than it, that is what concerns me most as a fan.

The success of CD will have no bearing on the success of CB and Vice Versa. $30 for great music never killed anyone.

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2006, 06:56:46 AM »

I think even if Libertard is 3x's better then contraband it will have  a very tough time matching it in sales.. getting together 2 ex gnr memebers plus one replacement of gnr and the lead singer of stp was something that caused interest especially after Audioslave..  Music can be better but who knows if they'll be able to go in strong like they did with slither
Brody
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2006, 12:47:18 PM »

Velvet Revolver are only still going because of who they are and the legion of fans they brought with them from their previous bands.

If a new band had brought that album out, it would have flopped pretty spectacularly. It was only the fact that it was Slash, Duff, Matt and Scott from Guns & STP that made people buy the album.

Contraband wasn't at all worthy of critical praise, but I think it sounds like the new stuff should be better. Pharall may not know much about rock, but he will at the very least make the album less middle of the road and far less boring.

Or maybe they still exist cause they were able to write a kick ass record and probuce it!!
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2006, 12:36:52 AM »

do you think that VR can survive chinese democracy. once it is released i think that they wont stand a chance. although i am a VR fan, i cannot see an album co produced by pharrel williams and leny kravitz a success but i hope that they prove me wrong!!! i think that the rise of gnr and the slight decline of VR,which may lead to their down fall will provide us with a reunion tour! i think that once the greatest album ever ie chinese democracy is released VR will begin to regret actions fromt the past. i also hope that the law suit will eventually bring about a mutual respect amongst slash, duff and axl!! time will tell!!!!!!! so what do you think...................................?

bullshit, bullshit bullshit. VR will live and thrive. Grow up, and get a brain.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2006, 07:22:50 AM »

tbh i think CD is gonna be a dissapointment majorly. i mean the leaked tracks havent blew my mind at all, there good but only on a average basis, and if those tracks are axls stand out tracks then we cant expect too much, especially whent the albums one cd and not 2, id have thought after all those years hed (i cant use my grammers keys for some reason now Huh) have gotten more material than just one album.

VR im excited to see what they produce but after all these various things ive heard, you know having loads of guest artists, it seems like we arnt gonna get a album by VR its gonna be more of a  VR and guests album, i mean i dont mind 1 or 2 tracks with guests but a album which most tracks contain guests is silly. 

html sucks
johnnythunders24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2006, 12:27:17 AM »

VR will have the same problem all bands second albums have...labels expect them to sell without promotion
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2006, 12:37:19 AM »

Based on the GNR demos, and the VR songs.? I have to give the edge to GNR, the VR songs are very one dimensional, although slither is a great song.? If I were a VR fan, I would not worry.? VR is an established, original band.? Where as GNR has been remade, and playing the songs from AFD.? I think the CD songs are awesome, but I want to hear more of them, however until we hear more of them, you cant bank on GNR, however you can bank on VR because it has been established.? I love the current GNR, saw them at hammerstein, love the new members, love the new songs.? When I talk GNR, Im talking about the 2006 line up.? The best thing that can can happen is? VR and GNR rival each other head on with new original material.? What a better way to bring back Rock N Roll, then have 2 bands that evolved from the original GNR.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 12:47:10 AM by GnR-NOW » Logged

Ana Vader
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2006, 08:19:08 AM »

Yes VR.. will have no problems because of CD...

I agree. 
johnnythunders24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2006, 01:15:30 AM »

I hope both can avoid beenin compared to each other though cause they are two different things...i mean VR is a success if it goes platinum...axl needs to sell 5X that...i think thats the point though...slash is happy being a good rock band...and making good rock albums...axl wont release anything that isnt as revolutionary as afd and the illusions were
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2006, 03:24:45 AM »

I hope both can avoid beenin compared to each other though cause they are two different things...i mean VR is a success if it goes platinum...axl needs to sell 5X that...i think thats the point though...slash is happy being a good rock band...and making good rock albums...axl wont release anything that isnt as revolutionary as afd and the illusions were

Only reason axl is expected to sell more is because of the gnr name.. if it wasn't called gnr no one would expect him to sell those numbers, also if he didn't wait forever less could still be good
Catt
Headliner

Do as you got to, go your own way

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2006, 03:55:44 AM »

i cannot see an album co produced by pharrel williams and leny kravitz a success

Pharrel is a great producer.....i'm not a VR fan but i almost guarantee that Libertad will kick ass! As for CD, there's enough room for everyone...besides that, lets just wait and see if CD stands up to its own myth (and this really worries me)  nervous yes

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2006, 05:11:31 AM »

i cannot see an album co produced by pharrel williams and leny kravitz a success

Pharrel is a great producer.....i'm not a VR fan but i almost guarantee that Libertad will kick ass! As for CD, there's enough room for everyone...besides that, lets just wait and see if CD stands up to its own myth (and this really worries me)? nervous yes

No album can ever live up to such hype... Axl is lucky that he has such a legendary band name on his side.. Little kids are wearing gnr t shirts, as they do ac/dc back in black t shirts..  Anything trendy can sell big time even if it's not great...

I would have loved to see if axl sold records under a different name how much people would buy... That's just my own personal curiousity
Catt
Headliner

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2006, 05:24:08 AM »

I'm alwayz gonna hold a grudge against Axl for not giving up on GNR name.....it's a thing of decency and common sense...long story and not the right thread  no

I wish all the best to VR and to everyone who knows when to let go and moves on!  peace

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2006, 05:28:02 AM »

I am quite anxious for vr's second effort.. I hope things go according to plans.. I'll feel better once the new shows start in Cali...
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2006, 11:46:17 AM »

I'll say this...

if everything is ok in the VR camp, and they bust their ass and put out a good product, something deep and original and inspiring, then it'll outsell CD.

I honestly believe this now.  Axls attitude and his current lack of respect of fans at shows will be his fownfall in the U.S. I think CD will sell well in Europe though.

I'm concerned about VR though.  there have been far too many "breakup" rumors and rumors of in-fighting.  I remember when I saw VR live it seemed as though they were'nt enjoying themselves. 

I hope VR takes their time and releases the best product they can.  I also need to hear more Slash solos. ok

GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2006, 11:49:25 AM »

I'm alwayz gonna hold a grudge against Axl for not giving up on GNR name.....it's a thing of decency and common sense...long story and not the right thread? no

I wish all the best to VR and to everyone who knows when to let go and moves on!? peace

I wouldnt say its decency, I mean if Slash owned the GNR, snakepit or VR would be GNR.  GNR=$$$ and lots of it, thats the common sense part.  And Axl OWNS the name, why shouldnt he use it.  These guys arent lawyers and respectable businessmen, theyre fucking rockstars ... it would be wrong if they did the decent thing .... sorry to get off topic

Catt
Headliner

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2006, 12:20:57 PM »

I'm alwayz gonna hold a grudge against Axl for not giving up on GNR name.....it's a thing of decency and common sense...long story and not the right thread  no

I wish all the best to VR and to everyone who knows when to let go and moves on!  peace

I wouldnt say its decency, I mean if Slash owned the GNR, snakepit or VR would be GNR.  GNR=$$$ and lots of it, thats the common sense part.  And Axl OWNS the name, why shouldnt he use it.  These guys arent lawyers and respectable businessmen, theyre fucking rockstars ... it would be wrong if they did the decent thing .... sorry to get off topic

still off topic: axl's decision to keep and use the name is somehow greedy.....i personally dont think that greed is cool, rockstar or not. And yes, you can urinate on a plane (nothing to do with izzy, just bumped my mind) and still be decent when it comes to your music. Maybe it was more apropriate to use "dignity" instead of "decency", wasnt it?  Roll Eyes

my apologies to the one who started this thread - no more off-topics i promise

peace

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2006, 04:37:17 PM »

Reel it back in kids, stay on topic.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: