Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:22:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VR outdated?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR outdated?  (Read 10276 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 10:32:19 PM »

I don't think they're outdated.  I do think Contraband was a little too safe and conservative for its own good though, and that may have hurt its overall impact and I personally think it hurt the replay value.  I think the main problem with Contraband is that there are a lot of good to really good rock songs but not many standout songs, and most of the songs kind of lost their luster after a bunch of listens.  I went around a year without listening to it before listening to it last week and about half the songs just seem a little bland, they don't make me want to keep listening over and over

Hopefully the next album will take more risks and be a little more brash and distinct.  But I don't think being outdated is the problem for VR
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 11:12:43 PM »

VR's second album will show if this argument has any merit. No one was really floored by Contraband, but Scott came in so late I'm not sure it was the best they could have done. Now they can write music with a band to write for, and a public that has reacted to they're first output. Personally, I think "Come On, Come In" was better than most of Contraband, and that trend of improvement will hopefully continue with Libertad.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 11:41:26 PM »

Well VR were ment to bring back rock n roll etc. But like, i see some of the new british bands (Roadstar, The answer) And they are more what VR should be doing really.

I mean dont get me wrong, i like contraband, but its such a weak debut considering its ment to be a super group and....slash, i know everyones said this a million times how he rarely solos, but it is true, they wanna bring back rock n roll, i want some good guitar work. I dunno, i listen to the new british bands, they have so much more than VR, more complex and talented music. VR are a wasted opportunity, hopefully the new album will take them to new levels, but as for the band who were to bring rock n roll back, they didnt succeed, id say The Darkness did more of that, even with the lame vocals.

Thoughts? This is not a VR hating rant though, great live act.

Right. Great live act. Even better than great, superb. Could not disagree more on the comment:
a. a weak debut
b. a wasted opportunity
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 06:23:18 AM »

Well VR were ment to bring back rock n roll etc. But like, i see some of the new british bands (Roadstar, The answer) And they are more what VR should be doing really.

I mean dont get me wrong, i like contraband, but its such a weak debut considering its ment to be a super group and....slash, i know everyones said this a million times how he rarely solos, but it is true, they wanna bring back rock n roll, i want some good guitar work. I dunno, i listen to the new british bands, they have so much more than VR, more complex and talented music. VR are a wasted opportunity, hopefully the new album will take them to new levels, but as for the band who were to bring rock n roll back, they didnt succeed, id say The Darkness did more of that, even with the lame vocals.

Right. Great live act. Even better than great, superb. Could not disagree more on the comment:
a. a weak debut
b. a wasted opportunity

explain why you disagree?

html sucks
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 06:59:45 AM »

I agree with those that say 'Come on, Come in' is better than most if not all on Contraband - that should bode well for the new album if the Pharrell nonsense doesnt overpower it. Is there really room for another great band to to ruin their sound with pointless hip hop beats and shite samples?

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006, 07:00:49 AM »

I agree with those that say 'Come on, Come in' is better than most if not all on Contraband - that should bode well for the new album if the Pharrell nonsense doesnt overpower it. Is there really room for another great band to to ruin their sound with pointless hip hop beats and shite samples?

i doubt they'd do that.

if they did they wouldnt get very far as there fans like them for doing rock music. not crap.

html sucks
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2006, 07:06:35 AM »

Im intrigued by the whole Pharrell Williams equation. Most people here seem to hate him, but I think the dude knows how to put together some ace songs. Got a good ear and music sense. Itll be interesting to see what happens when he works in a different genre and with musicians who are actually creative.

This thread is all about VR being outdated - I think he will really add some fresh direction to the band.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 07:08:13 AM by Tomorrows » Logged
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2006, 11:36:06 AM »

Slash and Matt addressed the whole producer issue and said nothing was set in stone. In fact they only worked with him for a short peroid and I thought they said they haven't decided on a producer yet.

As for Slash's solos he said he plays what he feels and more importantly what suits teh song.It's not about insert solo here.

All of this was talked about on Camp Freddy radio a few weeks back.

As for VR sounding outdated well to each his own I guess. I find when I listen to Contraband it sound fresh, a little too polished at times but fresh.  Loving the Alien and You Got No Right are gems, too bad they were never released as singles.

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
GNVR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2006, 06:49:42 PM »

VR had a solid debut with Contraband and I expect the next one to surpass it.  I really don't think VR is outdated.  The music is great and  the shows are awesome.  It's nice to see veteran rockers show the little bands how it's done.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2006, 11:18:10 AM »

What is this about no Slash solos on Contraband. Have you listened to the album more than briefly in the background? They're all there, SuckerTrain, DLT, Illegal I all have great solo's not to mention all the others, in fact only Big machine and superhuman dont have "solo's" per se.

Thank You... I get so tired of hearing that when the album is full of solos... 

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2006, 11:24:49 AM »

VR don't sound outdated to me... I don't listen to Contraband much anymore because it has been out 2 years and I have 1,000 other Cd's.. When I do put it on, it still kicks ass.. I usually forget how much it does.. These guys will never be in a band as great as Gn'R were but they are doing pretty damn good and rock pretty f'n hard for a bunch of middle aged dudes...

sootn
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2006, 04:04:46 AM »

Problem #1 no Axl Rose!

Problem #2 Weiland sucks!

VR sucks! How were they meant to bring back rock n roll? cause of a couple xGNR guys. Sorry had to hop in the VR section and talk shit to all you.  yes

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2006, 04:16:41 AM »

the same can be asked about new gnr, how are they going to save rock because it's axl and some people no one knows Wink Only advantage they have is axl uses the name for his solo act..

Weiland has had tons of success, while axl was in hiding he was making multi platinum albums
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »

Problem #1 no Axl Rose!

Problem #2 Weiland sucks!

VR sucks! How were they meant to bring back rock n roll? cause of a couple xGNR guys. Sorry had to hop in the VR section and talk shit to all you.  yes

Solution #1. Its not fucking Guns N Roses.
moreblack
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2006, 12:22:05 PM »

UK rock bands are nice, but they only have success in the UK. None of the bands you mentioned have been heard of here in North America. VR was bigger than any of those. Hell, The Darkness didn't even make a dent on the charts aside from that one single...
VR will be fine. No amount of Scott bashing will change that.

Scott Weiland: "Man, I won't steer clear of shit. If I won't steer clear of wearing a fucking Nazi uniform coming into Europe, you think I'm going to steer clear of 'Fall to Pieces at Ozzfest?"
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »

What is this about no Slash solos on Contraband. Have you listened to the album more than briefly in the background? They're all there, SuckerTrain, DLT, Illegal I all have great solo's not to mention all the others, in fact only Big machine and superhuman dont have "solo's" per se.

Thank You... I get so tired of hearing that when the album is full of solos...?

Persoanlly I thought Big Machine coulda used a huge solo....not that i don't like the song cause it's one of my favorites
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2006, 06:27:29 PM »

UK rock bands are nice, but they only have success in the UK. None of the bands you mentioned have been heard of here in North America. VR was bigger than any of those. Hell, The Darkness didn't even make a dent on the charts aside from that one single...
VR will be fine. No amount of Scott bashing will change that.

Wanna know why they dont get much success out of there (other than in japan)? Cause the companies, radios, mainstream mags dont push them., the darkness became huge in 2004 because the mags pushed them, they were on tv often, then they took too long to release a follow up, and when they did it was pretty shitty so they declined rapidly, i think they did alot for rock though, opened more people up to it.

html sucks
yupyup
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2006, 08:08:03 PM »

So your saying that because they don't sound dated or follow trends  they are outdated?

One album doesn't do in a band. It's a new band who were finding common ground with contraband. The only wasted opportunties are ones not taken.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2006, 08:20:40 PM »

So your saying that because they don't sound dated or follow trends  they are outdated?

One album doesn't do in a band. It's a new band who were finding common ground with contraband. The only wasted opportunties are ones not taken.

not exactly. out dated in there cause more than anything, over shadowed?

html sucks
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2006, 07:54:48 PM »

Thank You... I get so tired of hearing that when the album is full of solos...?

Persoanlly I thought Big Machine coulda used a huge solo....not that i don't like the song cause it's one of my favorites

You gotta remember Slash plays to fit the songs feel, and you gotta have faith in him to play whats best, he might of tried a big solo but it just didnt flow? I find it hard to believe that a lot of people say theres no solo's, when the album is full of great lead's. Maybe its because the feel of the album isnt the same as other Slash stuff. The songs themselves generally arent based in the blues in the classic rock sense even though the solo's themselves still are, after all thats Slash's way of playing
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: