Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VR outdated?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR outdated?  (Read 10278 times)
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« on: June 22, 2006, 08:14:23 PM »

Well VR were ment to bring back rock n roll etc. But like, i see some of the new british bands (Roadstar, The answer) And they are more what VR should be doing really.

I mean dont get me wrong, i like contraband, but its such a weak debut considering its ment to be a super group and....slash, i know everyones said this a million times how he rarely solos, but it is true, they wanna bring back rock n roll, i want some good guitar work. I dunno, i listen to the new british bands, they have so much more than VR, more complex and talented music. VR are a wasted opportunity, hopefully the new album will take them to new levels, but as for the band who were to bring rock n roll back, they didnt succeed, id say The Darkness did more of that, even with the lame vocals.

Thoughts? This is not a VR hating rant though, great live act.

html sucks
RichardNixon
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:26:38 PM »

Brit pop like the Sterosonics(sp?) have been popular for a few years now, but there is room for VR, and GN'R.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:27:26 PM »

Meh, whatever to the "bringing back rock n'roll" thing... Every 5 months there's a new band that's supposed to do that. ?Rock fans don't even know what they want anymore.

I enjoy Contraband and can't wait for the next album (which I expected to be out by now). ?I don't understand how VR "should" be doing anything with regards to their music, except making whatever comes naturally. ?I think they are capable of material that is stronger than Contraband... but I don't want them to change their sound to try and force this shift in mainstream music that people seem to be expecting.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 01:25:09 AM »

Good post Easy E..the guys in VR have always been about making music spontaneous without forcing anything and my god they can be spontenouswith songs like Jungle, Estranged which are completely fresh sounding. Thats all they have to do, they are talented and have enough chemistry to create timeless songs. It comes down to how they mesh with Scott. Contraband was rushed. This album should be amazing because they're taking their time and more importantly they know each other and each other's strengths better
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 01:35:07 AM »

Hmmm... you say VR sound outdated, yet you say they aren't bringing back classic rock n roll?
So which one is it? Roll Eyes

I think on Contraband they were trying to show that they could make more than just GN'R style rock. I think this new album will be more of a mix of old and new styles.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 06:51:49 AM »

Hmmm... you say VR sound outdated, yet you say they aren't bringing back classic rock n roll?

I think on Contraband they were trying to show that they could make more than just GN'R style rock. I think this new album will be more of a mix of old and new styles.

meh but contraband is bland compared to some of these new groups.

html sucks
makane
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 07:37:27 AM »

How could they "bring rock back" and play shitty music? I'd rather have them play good rock than play shitty music and be the mainstream successor.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 07:51:42 AM »

This topic, outdated?

By two years.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 08:01:38 AM »

lol how is roadstar mainstream.
How could they "bring rock back" and play shitty music? I'd rather have them play good rock than play shitty music and be the mainstream successor.

html sucks
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 09:53:53 AM »

These british bands are'nt on the same level as VR in any way. Contraband is so much stronger than anything these bands put out.

What is this about no Slash solos on Contraband. Have you listened to the album more than briefly in the background? They're all there, SuckerTrain, DLT, Illegal I all have great solo's not to mention all the others, in fact only Big machine and superhuman dont have "solo's" per se.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »

I liked it a lot and still do.. I think the term supergroup doesn't mean it will change music or make the best album ever.. I think it's harder to bring people together from groups that did well and have that same chemistry as the band's they were in prior..

Anyways how many 40 year olds come back and change music with a new band.. ? How good you do means nothing, zakk wylde makes good music but the mainstream isn't buying 500,000 copies it's opening week..
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 11:03:58 AM »

No band with members this advanced in the careers will "bring back" or  "change the face of the rock landscape", it just doesn't work that way.  History shows us that's a task best left to the youngsters.

What VR did do was remind us that rock can be done at a high level, especially in a live setting.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 12:01:35 PM »

im not saying VR are rubbish, they ARE a great live act i agree, ive seen them myself.

but whoever said contraband is a better album than some of the new bands like roadstar is mad. Have you listened to the album? its great.

html sucks
makane
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 12:06:52 PM »

im not saying VR are rubbish, they ARE a great live act i agree, ive seen them myself.

but whoever said contraband is a better album than some of the new bands like roadstar is mad. Have you listened to the album? its great.
These things are opinions. You can't say someone is "mad" 'cause he doesn't like the same music you do.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 12:23:06 PM »

No band with members this advanced in the careers will "bring back" or? "change the face of the rock landscape", it just doesn't work that way.? History shows us that's a task best left to the youngsters.

What VR did do was remind us that rock can be done at a high level, especially in a live setting.

What a great point Falcon. ok

The only bands that have the power to change the landscape of rock music are the young hungry bands with nothing to loose and alot to prove.  VR hold a stake in resurrecting rock, and that is by having the young bands look up to them.

But the young, unproven bands are the ones that are going to change things.  It'll happen, sooner rather than later.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 12:32:37 PM »

These things are opinions. You can't say someone is "mad" 'cause he doesn't like the same music you do.

well if they like rock music i cant see how they wont like the album if they give it a listen.

html sucks
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »

No band with members this advanced in the careers will "bring back" or  "change the face of the rock landscape", it just doesn't work that way.  History shows us that's a task best left to the youngsters.

VR hold a stake in resurrecting rock, and that is by having the young bands look up to them.

i do totally agree there.

html sucks
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 12:37:45 PM »

No band with members this advanced in the careers will "bring back" or? "change the face of the rock landscape", it just doesn't work that way.? History shows us that's a task best left to the youngsters.

very well *appluads*
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 01:38:49 PM »

2 of the band changed the landscape of rock music forever 19 years ago.

Lightning doesn't always strike twice.

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 04:40:29 PM »

Bands like Towers of London and Roadstar are good rock bands, maybe they'll make a record in the future that is on the same level as VR, but at the moment they're simply not there. peace
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: