Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  MLB - Discuss Yesterday's action or anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB - Discuss Yesterday's action or anything you want  (Read 73204 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #200 on: August 21, 2006, 07:58:01 AM »

Good lord, the Yankee love-fest in this thread is about as disgusting as the past two days have been.? Does anyone yet understand why I despise that team (especially its owner) and 95% of their fans?

....and a bunch of other stuff

(*cough)Bullshit(*cough*).

When you lump all Yankee fans together like that....it just makes you look bad.

I've been a Yanks fan since 1980 (well, if you ask my Dad, who was a lifelong Yanks fan...I was BORN a Yankees fan) when I attended my first game at Yankee Stadium.  I got to see Willie Randloph, Rick Cerone, Reggie Jackson, and Bucky Dent play in that game.  I was hooked.

But there have been a LOT of lean years between '80 and '96.  And I've never wavered as a fan.  So trying to paint every Yanks fan as a fairweather friend, or a bandwagon jumper...well, it just doesn't hold water.   As for why we don't boo our "returning heroes" when they come back with a new team......I'd offer up "why give them more motivation".  I mean, look at what the Fenway Faithful's boos have done for Johnny Damon.  Look at what they did for Roger Clemens as a Yankee.  Look what they did for Wade Boggs.  Doesn't seem to work out too well for you guys, does it.

On Yankees fans only loving winning....not true.  Or not entirely true, anyway.  Yes, we like to win...hell, we expect to win right around now.  And that mindset, from the players, is precisely why they have 26 World Championships in the time the Red Sox have taken to win....one?  For Yankees fans, even when we have long stretches of mediocrity, we know the team is one good season away from winning it all again.  I understand that's a foriegn concept to fans of a team who, for 80-something years, had to find solace to support their fandom in NOT winning.  But to paint the Yanks fans as simply fans of winning is not true.

Now, I can't get on board with those who boo A-Rod, or any other Yank who has a bad game.  It's part of baseball.  And it has happened to just about every (current) Yankee who's last name isn't Jeter.  But that's the way Yanks fans are.  Tough love, and all that. It's part of NY, itself, and within the very fabric of the city, it seems. And while they'll boo you on the field after a bad game....they'll cheer like crazy the next very next night when your number is announced over the PA.

For the record, I'm a Yankees fan, a Celtics fan, and a Giants fan.  Because of where I live (Connecticut, right between Boston an NYC), I get a reprieve on geographics with by basketball team.

Hope you enjoyed last night's game.  I know I did. Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #201 on: August 21, 2006, 08:17:26 AM »

If you're a Red Sox fan, last night's game might have been even more painful than the previous 3 games.

You got your ace giving you a solid start and going deep into the game, your bullpen does better than it has recently, you've got a one run lead going into the 9th with your closer rested and ready to go.  You've got the Yanks who did not pitch particularly well, who's ace left after 4 with an injury, who didn't hit particularly well through the first 8 2/3 innings, who's bullpen was not as effective as it has been, and who had Mariano not exactly pitching his best inning in the 9th (though he pitched out of trouble, the Sox had a good chance to win that game in the bottom of the 9th).

You have all that going for you...and you still lose by 3....to a team that actually had  1 less hit than you did.

Ouch.  That's gotta hurt.

Together again,
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #202 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:26 PM »

Yes, it may have been. The Yanks are currently playing in the 2nd inning in Game #5 going for an unheard of 5 game sweep of the Boston Red Sox. It's a 0-0 game.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2006, 04:10:33 PM »

OMG!  no

It's 2-1 New York in Boston. And now in the bottom of the 9th, Torre brings in Kyle Farnsworth to get the final three outs.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »

Farnsworth does fine...gets his 2nd save of the season. Yankees win 2-1.

More importantly, they sweep 5 games in Boston!
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #205 on: August 21, 2006, 05:20:40 PM »

Sweeeeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hihi
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #206 on: August 21, 2006, 06:18:28 PM »

How embarrassing for Red Saux fans!!! Grin hihi

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #207 on: August 21, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »

We have friends up in Boston, big Sox fans. We Fedex OverNight'ed a broom up to them. Hopefully they open the door tomorrow, and it's sitting there waiting for them to open it! Smiley
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2006, 09:51:53 PM »

Great goddamn googly-eyed jumped up Jesus on a pogo stick.

Like I was saying... worst... series... EVER.

I don't even have kids yet, and yet my kids are already scarred by this series.

I'm sitting here watching football, and all the teams just ooze preparedness like it's some sort of STD.  And all I can think is that these cocksucking dickfurs in the GM chair and managerial seat didn't even try to have a bullpen for this series.  I would rather see the Sox send in a dwarf, to stand at home plate holding the ball on a tee for the opposing hitter, than see Craig Hansen, Rudy Seanez, or Mike Timlin ever pitch in a Sox uni again.  May Allah load all their foreskins (and those of most Yankee fans I know) with Habanero pepper juice.

And pilferk, like I said-- 95%.  You seem to be one of the few I've seen in that limited 5%.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 09:53:28 PM by Mal Brossard » Logged

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2006, 11:26:22 PM »

Attention all boston Fans: STAY AWAY FROM THE LEDGE AND FROM SHARP OBJECTS hihi hihi hihi

To all Met fans: As much as i hate them I hope glavine is able to pitch again this year and is able to finish his career on his terms.....though he's pitched for two mof my least favorite teams, he's always been pretty much a class act
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2006, 11:36:47 PM »

I really really feel bad for the Mets and Tommy Glavine. I play baseball for our varsity highschool team, and a kid a couple years ago was amazing, 5-0 with an 0.94 ERA with tons of strikeouts. He was a lefty and was just unhittable. Predicted to be drafted and such.

Day before we went to states he came to practice with a wrap on his arm, heat wrap, saying his arm felt cold and stuff and that he didn't know what to do. Now it was 85+degrees out with a heat wrap, something was wrong. He went to the doc that day, coach told him to leave and go, and found out he had a blodd clot:(. Had it removed and couldn't pitch again  Sad.

I hope it's not as serious for Tom!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #211 on: August 22, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »

Attention all boston Fans: STAY AWAY FROM THE LEDGE AND FROM SHARP OBJECTS hihi hihi hihi

To all Met fans: As much as i hate them I hope glavine is able to pitch again this year and is able to finish his career on his terms.....though he's pitched for two mof my least favorite teams, he's always been pretty much a class act

Looks like he'll be back next week, if the Post reports are true.  "Treated with Medication" were probably the happiest words Glavine (and the Mets, though baseball, in this case, was sort of secondary to the guys health and well being) ever heard.

Together again,
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #212 on: August 22, 2006, 10:20:22 AM »

I think the time is right and the Red Sox are reeling, and Boston is ripe for a good ole' fashioned butt-whomping!

Man did this guy call it right or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #213 on: August 22, 2006, 11:11:40 AM »

I think the time is right and the Red Sox are reeling, and Boston is ripe for a good ole' fashioned butt-whomping!

Man did this guy call it right or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok

A master prognosticator, for sure!

Smiley

Together again,
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #214 on: August 22, 2006, 12:51:11 PM »

I may have been off when I said the yankees would win 3 of 5.

Man, they just unloaded on them.

Also, the yankees have now scored the most runs in the AL by scoring 47 in their last 5, LMAO.

---

BTW, is anybody besides me getting tired of Mal Brossard's posts?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #215 on: August 22, 2006, 01:39:06 PM »

I may have been off when I said the yankees would win 3 of 5.

Man, they just unloaded on them.

Also, the yankees have now scored the most runs in the AL by scoring 47 in their last 5, LMAO.

---

Nope, I like Mal's posts.  It's sorta fun to watch Red Sox fans squirm, ya know?

The Yanks actually managed to beat the Sox, in 5 games, in every possible, imagineable way that I can think of.

Complete blow out? Yup, got that in game one.

Competetive high scoring game? Yup, got that in game two.

Close game which turned into a late inning blowout? Yup, game three.

Come from behind, bottom of the 9th drama? Yup, game four, with "extra innings" thrown in too.

Close pitchers duel (who EVER woulda pegged THAT game as the pitchers duel, eh?)?  Yup, game 5.

They're going to have to invent new ways for the Yanks to beat the Red Sox, just because of that series.

I bet there are thousands of Red Sox fans crying in their corn flakes (wait, don't Bostonions have a penchant for oat meal??) right now. 

Of course, as Yogi said, it ain't over til it's over.  But as a Sox fan, you gotta look at an almost 7 game margin, and realize the Yanks have only lost 48 games all year.  The Yanks lead is almost 14% of their total losses for the year...with only 23% of the year left.  That doesn't leave you much margin for error, statistically speaking, if you're the Sox.

Actually, if I'm the Sox right now, my focus isn't even on NY.  It's on Chicago.  That's a more attainable target for the moment...at least until/if the Yankees stumble.

Together again,
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #216 on: August 22, 2006, 01:46:41 PM »

The Yankees Schedule:

Out of 39 remaining games, 20 aganist Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Kansas City and Seattle. I feel very confident we have a 9th straight division title on the way...
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #217 on: August 22, 2006, 02:39:07 PM »

(wait, don't Bostonions have a penchant for oat meal??)

Frankly, I prefer cream of wheat.

Seems you're the only one.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #218 on: August 22, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »

(wait, don't Bostonions have a penchant for oat meal??)

Frankly, I prefer cream of wheat.

Seems you're the only one.

No, I'm just the only that says it.

Oh and if you continue to post things like this in this thread, then I will report every post you make that I deem unnecessary.
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #219 on: August 22, 2006, 09:32:39 PM »

The Yankees Schedule:

Out of 39 remaining games, 20 aganist Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Kansas City and Seattle. I feel very confident we have a 9th straight division title on the way...

But if they beat the almighty Red Sox, this should be fine.

Why don't you just....
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: