Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  MLB - Discuss Yesterday's action or anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB - Discuss Yesterday's action or anything you want  (Read 73205 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2006, 03:47:14 PM »

beltran two hrs and one grand slam, third this month... 32 hrs, 90 something rbi... Hopefully they sweep the braves today
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2006, 04:43:31 PM »

METS SWEEP ATLANTA, 14 games in front ,22 games over 500 beer
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2006, 08:55:24 AM »

Despite the salary implications, it's the perfect move for the Yanks -? ?You get Sheffield's replacement for the next few years, when you don't pick up his option, and you get a damn good hitter now and adds insurance in case Sheff or Matsui don't come back when expected

Lidle can eat a few innings for them as well -

Very Sweet beer

See, I disagree.? I mean, I think the Lidle pick up is great for the team.?He has the potential to be their #4 starter, and that drops Wright to #5 (a good place for him, IMHO). But...Abreu?? For Gods sake, why?? Isn't the outfield crowded enough?

First off, Matsui has a long term deal in place, as does Damon.? So they must be looking to replace Sheffield, right?? I have two issues with trading for Abreu to do that:

1) Sheffs option for next year is 13 million...Abreu's is 15 million.? In addition to that, you're not going to be able to trade Sheff this year, obviously, and unless he comes back in Sept and puts up monster numbers (and, assuming Matsui is back...where's he gonna play to do that? More on that in a sec...), it's not gonna be an easy trade in the off season either.? His option is too big and his productivity, after the injury, would be questionable.? So that's a mess.

2) M-E-L-K-Y.? If you're looking to replace Sheff...why go off the reservation?? I know, I know...Abreu is a potential all star who is, possibly, the best pure hitter in the NL.? And, in addition, he has been able to hit for power in the past.? But....Melky has shown some amazing potential this year.? I think he's more than played his way into a chance to be an everyday Yank.? But now, with Abreu coming in.....Melky is going to go back to the bench.? Given how crowded the OF is, he's either going to STAY on the bench....or he's going to be trade bait in the off season.? And that would be, IMHO, a travesty.

So, assuming Sheff comes back this year....what do you think the yanks will do?? Pull the slumping Phillips, make Giambi play 1st every day, and plug Sheff at the DH spot?? 'Cause I gotta say...I'm not too keen on that option.? Giambi is getting up there, and becomes less effective at 1st every year.....but you can't afford to lose his bat, either.

From my perspective...this trade is gonna cause a mess.? It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, I guess, but....it's a mess, none the less.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 08:57:35 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2006, 10:44:48 AM »

I actually agree with most of what you said Batman. I probably would not have done this move if I were the Yanks, but I'm not.

Since they did it, I see it as getting Sheff's replacement for next year, Melky sticks around as the 4th outfielder , Lidle eats innings, and as far as a mess, I think the only mess is dealing with Sheff's ego now, and that should never stop you from making a run at the playoffs. Sheff is a great hitter, but quite the bitcher. He'll complain a little, sure, but as a professional he'll realize that his best chance of getting a good contract next year is to shut up and produce when called upon.

Putting Abreu into the mix makes it a little cloudy, but in my opinion does help them for this year.

You never know, maybe there's more up Cashman's sleeve today
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2006, 10:56:42 AM »

You never know, maybe there's more up Cashman's sleeve today

I hope so.  If they could add ONE more top of the rotation starter (say a #3 level guy...who would actually fill the #4 spot in the rotation), they'd be in much better shape.  But it seems everyone in the hunt needs pitching this year, so the few available GOOD options (Zito, Maddux, possibly Dontrelle) out there require, literally, giving up the farm.  It wouldn't shock me to see Chacon as part of any trade they might put together today..but I'd bet dollars to donuts that an outfielder (and my money would be on Melky or Crosby) would need to be part of the deal, too.  If Melky goes, it would break my heart.

Together again,
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2006, 12:42:36 PM »

This is a good move for the yankees. Abreu in Left, Damon in Center, Matsui (once he comes back) goes to left. Sheffield can be the DH for the rest of the season and then we can see goodbye to him after this season.

Cory Lidge can be a legit. #5 starter...

But, now I see 2 problems the yankees have to attack:

1) Is Randy Johnson really an ace with an 11-9 record with a 5.13 era?

2. If Pavano Returns, it would make a top 4 of Mussina, Wang, Johnson and Pavano. But, who's the #5 starter, Cory Lidle or Jaret Wright?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 12:44:59 PM by Markus Asraelius » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2006, 02:44:31 PM »

This is a good move for the yankees. Abreu in Left, Damon in Center, Matsui (once he comes back) goes to left. Sheffield can be the DH for the rest of the season and then we can see goodbye to him after this season.

Cory Lidge can be a legit. #5 starter...

But, now I see 2 problems the yankees have to attack:

1) Is Randy Johnson really an ace with an 11-9 record with a 5.13 era?

2. If Pavano Returns, it would make a top 4 of Mussina, Wang, Johnson and Pavano. But, who's the #5 starter, Cory Lidle or Jaret Wright?

I don't think we need to worry much about Pavano coming back....at least not this year.  And, IF he does, I'd relegate him to the bullpen for now.  Also, in what I've seen, Lidle will actually become their #4 guy, with Wright slipping to 5th.  They may swap that up, depending on Lidle's first couple of outings but...given Wright's inconsistency.  Though, I agree, Randy has been almost as bad.

Together again,
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »

The Yankees just traded away Shawn Chacon in exchange for Craig Wilson. Craig Wilson will probably split time at 1st with Andy Phillips if not take over 1st for good.

Bottom Line is that the yankees get another steal here.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2006, 08:21:46 AM »

The Yankees just traded away Shawn Chacon in exchange for Craig Wilson. Craig Wilson will probably split time at 1st with Andy Phillips if not take over 1st for good.

Bottom Line is that the yankees get another steal here.

Yeah, this is gonna add to the confusion, a bit. 

On the flip side, though....they've built a nice little "nest egg" of talent, some of which is really expendable now, for some good off-season moves.  Maybe that's part of Cashman's plan.

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2006, 12:47:49 PM »

the yanks made this trade to help them win now. this deal is for 2006. they are struggling just to make the playoffs, and sheffield's return this season is not a guarantee.

and the yanks have no financial worries. abreu will cost them more next year, but who cares? also, abreu is much younger (about 6 years i think), and much healthier.

but yanks fans beware....abreu stats do not show the true player.  hihi

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2006, 01:01:08 PM »

Next year, I dont think the Yanks will pick up Sheff's option. I know he'd be a great help and all with his bat, but I just dont think there is room.

I forsee this lineup:

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Giambi 1B
Arod 3B
Abreu RF
Matsui DH
Posada C
Melky LF
Cano 2B

I HOPE it turns out like that, but you never know in the Yankee Universe.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2006, 01:28:04 PM »

Next year, I dont think the Yanks will pick up Sheff's option. I know he'd be a great help and all with his bat, but I just dont think there is room.

I forsee this lineup:

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Giambi 1B
Arod 3B
Abreu RF
Matsui DH
Posada C
Melky LF
Cano 2B

I HOPE it turns out like that, but you never know in the Yankee Universe.

Matsui as the DH? Maybe in a million years...

Matsui will be our Left Fielder next year.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2006, 01:44:46 PM »

It's all about financial relief

it's more about a bad investment. IF abreu was actually worth $16M, i think the phils would have kept him.

but he's probably only worth about $8M. and when you have a fixed budget like the phils do, you cannot afford to grossly overpay players.

and ed wade has handicapped the team by doing just that with several players (lieberthal, abreu, burrell, wolf).

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2006, 04:01:12 PM »

Personally I was against the Abreu deal.....I've read some things about his defense where he doesn't lay out for balls and has a fear of crashing into fences....which won't go well with some of his teammates and as far as his numbers go, since the HR Derby in 2005, his power numbers are comparable to melky's this year.....

But we got Lidle out of it,so his 1st win with the Yankees will be their first win from the 5th spot in the rotation since May...

The best thing about this deal is they didn't trade their top prospects to get to mediocre ballplayers hihi
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2006, 04:06:25 PM »

Personally I was against the Abreu deal.....I've read some things about his defense where he doesn't lay out for balls and has a fear of crashing into fences....which won't go well with some of his teammates and as far as his numbers go, since the HR Derby in 2005, his power numbers are comparable to melky's this year.....

But we got Lidle out of it,so his 1st win with the Yankees will be their first win from the 5th spot in the rotation since May...

The best thing about this deal is they didn't trade their top prospects to get to mediocre ballplayers hihi

I didn't want Bobby Abreu either but we gave up so little in the trade that it doesn't matter to me now.

Also Abreu's On Base Percentage and OPS is still great and he is a very good defender regardless of his fear of walls.

The only thing I could possibly be worried about is his lack of power numbers.

Also, as a left hander in yankee stadium, your power numbers go up cause of the short porch.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2006, 06:02:54 PM »

I really think it's just one of those situations where Boston was within reach, there were'nt exactly any front-line starters to be had, and the brain-trust did'nt think the current lineup could last or overtake Boston.  Adding Abreu only helps them in their playoff push. Everything else can be sorted out later.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2006, 11:41:09 AM »

And, the yankees and red sox are now tied for the division with about 59 games left to play...
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »

Here come da pain!
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2006, 01:26:32 PM »

Here come da pain!

LOL. What do you mean by that?

You know Varitek is injured and Lowell may be injured.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2006, 01:58:12 PM »

Here come da pain!

LOL. What do you mean by that?

You know Varitek is injured and Lowell may be injured.

What I mean is, that the NY Yankees are about the unleash a whole mess of pain upon Boston and any other team in the AL looking for a playoff bid
( Carlito's Way line )
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: