Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Download Festival - June 11th
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Download Festival - June 11th  (Read 116693 times)
Micky.Fegz
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #680 on: June 12, 2006, 02:47:06 PM »

Actually when he was going off stage you could still see him just stood at the back sometimes dancing away to himself or other ti9mes talking and laughing with Beta!

now we all know better Wink

www.myspace.com/bulletsforteeth
SPUNKY
Rocker

do one sweatheart!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #681 on: June 12, 2006, 02:50:06 PM »

Main stage at Download 2006
Destruction avoided

By John Atkin

John Atkin reflects on Sunday @ Download as Guns n' Roses headlined the festival with their appetite for self-destruction turning into a masterclass.

There's a moment when it all hangs in the balance.

For 30 minutes, Guns 'n Roses have singed the eyebrows and eardrums of the Download crowd. After being over an hour late on stage at Hammersmith earlier in the week, Gn'R are on-time and on-form, opening with flashbombs and the one-two-three suckerpunch of Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy and Mr Brownstone.

Live And Let Die and Knockin' On Heaven's Door follow, before guitarist Robin Finck picks out the signature riff to Sweet Child O'Mine.

But you can tell from the giant screens flanking the stage that all is not well on the braided, goateed visage of Axl Rose. He's been carping about the stage being too slippy and, during a front-of-crowd walkabout, appears to aim the 'c' word at an over-zealous steward. As the band's most famous song dies, he abruptly announces: "We're having some technical problems, so we're gonna take a break."

I was on this Leicestershire soil in 1988 when the over-exuberant response to Guns' debute Donington appearance led to the fatal crushing of two fans. With tonight's restless crowd, semi-delirious on three days of booze, guitars and 30-degree heat, this could all turn nasty. Just as it seems as though Axl's well-documented appetite for self-destruction is about to consume another comeback appearance, guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal saves the day, appearing alone, stage front, to crank out a guitar-only version of Don't Cry which quells the bottle-fight in the crowd enough for normal service to (almost) be resumed.

You Could Be Mine claws back more ground but then Axl's gone again, leaving Finck and Richard Fortus to widdle their way through a (frankly excruciating) guitar instrumental version of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful". That's followed by the night's first new song (The Blues?) in which the level of chatter in the crowd, followed by booing and chants of "sort your f****** head out" , have seasoned Axl-watchers on alert yet again. When bassist Tommy Stinson grabs the vocal mic and threatens to go home if he's hit by one more flying bottle, the rainclouds gathering above Download for the first time all weekend seem an apt, if ominous, portent of a coming storm.

Maybe Axl needs this danger, this threat of impending violence, to really get the adrenaline racing. And as the band rips defiantly in to Out Ta Get Me, the whole dynamic shifts. Dizzy Reed's solo piano version of Ziggy Stardust is warmly received, another new song (Better?) sounds loads, erm, better.

The tide has turned, and it's time for Axl's coup de theatre: "I'd like to welcome a very good friend of mine?Mr Izzy Stradlin?" and out trots his former sidekick to roars of approval. There are now as many members of prime-time Guns n' Roses in this band as there are in Velvet Revolver, and the performance of Think About You that follows throws down a gauntlet for all pretenders.

"Can I get a piano out here?" asks Axl and seated, drink in hand, there's only one way he's going now. November Rain is nothing short of a masterpiece, the band firing, finally, on every single cylinder as the main man, in his own words, "beats the hell out of that old love song."

Another "old friend" is welcomed onstage in the shape of ex-Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach, possibly one of the few frontmen who can give Axl a run for his money in the helium-scream department. The pair trade lines through My Michelle, before Stradlin's recalled for a run through Patience and a punked-out, four-guitar version of Nightrain which, to coin a phrase, rolls like a freight train right through the middle of this dusty field.

The encores, bravely, begin with another newie, Madagascar, before Brian Mantia kick-drums the seven-piece into a masterful version of Rocket Queen.

"I don't wanna go home," says Axl, before admitting: "that's different to how I felt an hour ago."

Two more new songs ? IRS and Chinese Democracy ? are aired, both of them whetting appetites for the new album, before Izzy Stradlin comes out once more for the final two-step, a ramshackle, Stonesy version of Useta Love Her and a thunderous reading of Paradise City which lights up the sky with pyrotechnics and ticker-tape cannons.

Guns n' Roses were once proclaimed The World's Most Dangerous Band. On tonight's evidence that danger is still there, which ? while at one stage threatening to derail the whole show - has instead focused Axl and the band into delivering one of the all-time great Donington performances.

Yes, Metallica were unstoppable on Saturday night, but they didn?t face the pressure of a world waiting to see them put a foot wrong. What Axl delivered in the face of that expectation was a two-and-a-half-hour masterclass in the light and shade of rock'n'roll.

The new album, Chinese Democracy, is reportedly ready for release. If it lives up to tonight, then Guns n' Roses will once again be the biggest band in the world.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/article...n_feature.shtml

SOUTHEND UNITED LEAGUE 1 CHAMPIONS 2006

HAMMERSMITH JUNE 7TH

DOWNLAND 9-11 JUNE GNR
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #682 on: June 12, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

Thanks for the Better video, anythinggoes  ok

Where did Tommy throw his bass at?
SPUNKY
Rocker

do one sweatheart!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #683 on: June 12, 2006, 02:52:42 PM »

Thanks for the Better video, anythinggoes? ok

YO YO YO where is the link my dear???

Huh

SOUTHEND UNITED LEAGUE 1 CHAMPIONS 2006

HAMMERSMITH JUNE 7TH

DOWNLAND 9-11 JUNE GNR
Olorin
« Reply #684 on: June 12, 2006, 02:53:11 PM »

Just talking to my mate who was right at the front.

Axl was well fucked off with certain technicians, pushed one of them away by the face while telling him to fuck off.

When Tommy threw his guitar away, it bounced off a cameramans head.

People thought it was a good show ruined by guitar solos and Axls dissapearing acts.

People kind of expected him to stay and chat to the crowd between songs and had the perception that because he never, he vanished, it was the Axl Rose Primmadonna Arrogance behind it.

Him and his freinds enjoyed it but the general concensus from them, and folk they spoke too, was it could have been great but the gaps between songs killed the momentum big time.

Dont people know by now when axl runs backstage its not because he is a premadonna but he is getting oxygen?

Well we do.

But most folk dont know anything about this band.
anythinggoes
« Reply #685 on: June 12, 2006, 02:54:17 PM »

I haven?t read all the pages so I dunno. But is there anyway to obtain this whole show on mp3 or video!? It's seems fantastic! Best sound, from what I heard on youtube and best setlist by far this tour! drool

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=31760.0

half the show audience shot here mate a couple of songs to upload still
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #686 on: June 12, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »

Thanks for the Better video, anythinggoes? ok

YO YO YO where is the link my dear???

Huh

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=31760.0  ok
sneeks
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #687 on: June 12, 2006, 03:06:38 PM »

That's a nice positive review from John Atkin Smiley

How could you say that I never needed you
When you took everything
Said you took everything from me

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky...
warrocks
VIP

Dance Of Fate....we're not afraid...

« Reply #688 on: June 12, 2006, 03:20:16 PM »

Main stage at Download 2006
Destruction avoided

By John Atkin

John Atkin reflects on Sunday @ Download as Guns n' Roses headlined the festival with their appetite for self-destruction turning into a masterclass.

There's a moment when it all hangs in the balance.

For 30 minutes, Guns 'n Roses have singed the eyebrows and eardrums of the Download crowd. After being over an hour late on stage at Hammersmith earlier in the week, Gn'R are on-time and on-form, opening with flashbombs and the one-two-three suckerpunch of Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy and Mr Brownstone.

Live And Let Die and Knockin' On Heaven's Door follow, before guitarist Robin Finck picks out the signature riff to Sweet Child O'Mine.

But you can tell from the giant screens flanking the stage that all is not well on the braided, goateed visage of Axl Rose. He's been carping about the stage being too slippy and, during a front-of-crowd walkabout, appears to aim the 'c' word at an over-zealous steward. As the band's most famous song dies, he abruptly announces: "We're having some technical problems, so we're gonna take a break."

I was on this Leicestershire soil in 1988 when the over-exuberant response to Guns' debute Donington appearance led to the fatal crushing of two fans. With tonight's restless crowd, semi-delirious on three days of booze, guitars and 30-degree heat, this could all turn nasty. Just as it seems as though Axl's well-documented appetite for self-destruction is about to consume another comeback appearance, guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal saves the day, appearing alone, stage front, to crank out a guitar-only version of Don't Cry which quells the bottle-fight in the crowd enough for normal service to (almost) be resumed.

You Could Be Mine claws back more ground but then Axl's gone again, leaving Finck and Richard Fortus to widdle their way through a (frankly excruciating) guitar instrumental version of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful". That's followed by the night's first new song (The Blues?) in which the level of chatter in the crowd, followed by booing and chants of "sort your f****** head out" , have seasoned Axl-watchers on alert yet again. When bassist Tommy Stinson grabs the vocal mic and threatens to go home if he's hit by one more flying bottle, the rainclouds gathering above Download for the first time all weekend seem an apt, if ominous, portent of a coming storm.

Maybe Axl needs this danger, this threat of impending violence, to really get the adrenaline racing. And as the band rips defiantly in to Out Ta Get Me, the whole dynamic shifts. Dizzy Reed's solo piano version of Ziggy Stardust is warmly received, another new song (Better?) sounds loads, erm, better.

The tide has turned, and it's time for Axl's coup de theatre: "I'd like to welcome a very good friend of mine?Mr Izzy Stradlin?" and out trots his former sidekick to roars of approval. There are now as many members of prime-time Guns n' Roses in this band as there are in Velvet Revolver, and the performance of Think About You that follows throws down a gauntlet for all pretenders.

"Can I get a piano out here?" asks Axl and seated, drink in hand, there's only one way he's going now. November Rain is nothing short of a masterpiece, the band firing, finally, on every single cylinder as the main man, in his own words, "beats the hell out of that old love song."

Another "old friend" is welcomed onstage in the shape of ex-Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach, possibly one of the few frontmen who can give Axl a run for his money in the helium-scream department. The pair trade lines through My Michelle, before Stradlin's recalled for a run through Patience and a punked-out, four-guitar version of Nightrain which, to coin a phrase, rolls like a freight train right through the middle of this dusty field.

The encores, bravely, begin with another newie, Madagascar, before Brian Mantia kick-drums the seven-piece into a masterful version of Rocket Queen.

"I don't wanna go home," says Axl, before admitting: "that's different to how I felt an hour ago."

Two more new songs ? IRS and Chinese Democracy ? are aired, both of them whetting appetites for the new album, before Izzy Stradlin comes out once more for the final two-step, a ramshackle, Stonesy version of Useta Love Her and a thunderous reading of Paradise City which lights up the sky with pyrotechnics and ticker-tape cannons.

Guns n' Roses were once proclaimed The World's Most Dangerous Band. On tonight's evidence that danger is still there, which ? while at one stage threatening to derail the whole show - has instead focused Axl and the band into delivering one of the all-time great Donington performances.

Yes, Metallica were unstoppable on Saturday night, but they didn?t face the pressure of a world waiting to see them put a foot wrong. What Axl delivered in the face of that expectation was a two-and-a-half-hour masterclass in the light and shade of rock'n'roll.

The new album, Chinese Democracy, is reportedly ready for release. If it lives up to tonight, then Guns n' Roses will once again be the biggest band in the world.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/article...n_feature.shtml

now this is good!!? Grin Grin

..... Till Death Do us Apart.....GNR forever!
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #689 on: June 12, 2006, 03:22:16 PM »

Great review by this guy!! Grin
Shirell
« Reply #690 on: June 12, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »

A good review.  Nice one!
gnrbr
Rocker

Everywhere i go i c ya

« Reply #691 on: June 12, 2006, 03:55:03 PM »

a really fucking great review! beer smoking peace ok
Shirell
« Reply #692 on: June 12, 2006, 04:12:05 PM »

This was amazing!? I nearly passed out when Izzy came on stage.? Was about 8 rows from the front got battered.? Very bruised today!!!? Got some pics though most were blurred and spoiled which was a shame.? Did get a few nice ones though, would like to post them but dont know how.? Can someone enlighten me please.

You can host them for free end easy at www.imageshack.us then after you pressed "host it" there several links appear. Copy/paste the lowest link into here, select that link so it gets coloured blue and click on the landscape icon right below the "I"

That's it.
I have been trying this for an hour and my patience is now at an end (three days at Download, I'm sure you understand!) ?I cant figure out how to upload these pics so, as I do know how to email the pics to someone else, can some kind soul who knows how to put these on the site, please let me send them to their email. ?Thanks for your help.

do you have aim
if so usethat
I have no idea at all what this means!?
I've managed to get the photos on suggested hosting but how do I now get them onto this site!  Talk about exasperation!!!!
sootn
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #693 on: June 12, 2006, 04:19:27 PM »

haha, that better video the crowd wasn't digging it. seems like towards the end of the show was better.

axl seemed not happy at all while singing better. funny
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #694 on: June 12, 2006, 04:23:13 PM »

haha, that better video the crowd wasn't digging it. seems like towards the end of the show was better.

axl seemed not happy at all while singing better. funny

Its not the crowd was not digging better, they were pissed because axl and the  band left the stage.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
FortusGNR21
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #695 on: June 12, 2006, 04:27:10 PM »

Well here goes with my review, just back from Download!

First up, I got to the stage about 10 mins before they started, and I couldn't fucking believe it when I heard the intro tape 10 FUCKIN MINS EARLY!!!! Anyways, Jungle, ISE, Brownstone all came and went and rocked a fuckin lot, but you could tell that the mix was horrible and that Axl was getting more and more pissed off by it. He is also struggling with a slippery stage, things are getting quite nervous for me, this is my first time seeing GN'R and I was so fuckin worried that this was gonna be the end of the show, so Axl says "Due to some technical difficulites, we are gonna take a break and you shoulda seen my fave ?Cry, I made my way out of the crowd because I feared a riot.

So after the break, Axl comes back on and does You Could Be Mine but he still isn't happy, he leaves the stage early during the song and comes back out to do a VERY half assed Better, where he looked like he had a face like a smacked ass!!

But then something happens, the sound suddenly becomes a hell of a lot better and Axl's voice for the first time pierces through the mix! And I breath a huge sigh of relief ?ok . From then on in we are treated to what I believe to have been an hour and a half of pure magic! There is no words I can use to describe how awesome OTGM, Nightrain, Paradise, NR sounded.....and more importantly Axl was having a good time even saying "I dont wanna go home, different to an hour ago" ?hihi

So after the fan fare of Paradise that was my first GN'R experience over and I felt satisfied but just dissapointed that things didn't go better than they did at the start. Download was HUGELY skeptical of Axl and I don't think the shit at the start did anything to raise their opinions of him, but I believe that the true GN'R fans went home happy and satisfied that despite all the problems, the old Axl Rose woulda been gone, but nowadays he just sucked it up and got on with it, and IMO gave a sensational last hour and a half!!

Some points :

*Finck and Fortus's Beautiful was not great recieved where I was standing, several people booing, stupid metalheads who can't stand to see any diversity in a set!!
* Stinson took a hissy fit after he got hit with a piss bottle
* Bumble, Finck and Fortus interacted superbly I thought
* Crowd was a tough one, many Slash fans who were there primarily to not give GN'R a chance.
* IRS FUCKING ROCKED!! Download this bootle NOW!!
* Maddy and Chin Dem also blew the shit down!!

Anyways, thats my shitty review, I'm tired so am gonna go sleep! ?peace

I get up around 7, get outta bed around 9, and I don't worry bout nothin no because worryin's a waste of my fuckin time!
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #696 on: June 12, 2006, 04:30:36 PM »

great show! Tommy fucking Rocks!

edit: are there video or mp3 of Dockland Chinese Democracy?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:36:12 PM by Nytunz » Logged

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #697 on: June 12, 2006, 04:48:58 PM »

Axl was well fucked off with certain technicians, pushed one of them away by the face while telling him to fuck off.

People thought it was a good show ruined by guitar solos and Axls dissapearing acts.

People kind of expected him to stay and chat to the crowd between songs and had the perception that because he never, he vanished, it was the Axl Rose Primmadonna Arrogance behind it.

Him and his freinds enjoyed it but the general concensus from them, and folk they spoke too, was it could have been great but the gaps between songs killed the momentum big time.

Dont people know by now when axl runs backstage its not because he is a premadonna but he is getting oxygen?

I mean doesn't everyone know this, I  mean shit this is such common knowledge rofl Stop mistaking die hards for normal people going to see a show
Origen
« Reply #698 on: June 12, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »

I mean doesn't everyone know this, I? mean shit this is such common knowledge rofl Stop mistaking die hards for normal people going to see a show

Exactly, these werent hard core gnr fans, hell some of them wernet even fans so how were they ment to know that.

And at the end of the day Axl was competing with other bands who frontmen never went off the stage and just talked in between songs, so oviously people are going to get pissed if Axl kept dissappearing.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #699 on: June 12, 2006, 05:22:18 PM »

Why would Fortus and Robin play a fuckin Christina Aguliera song anyway?

That is somewhat lame u gotta admit.

Anyhow what is up with u Ireland fans?HuhHuh

Booin like that

the we want Slash chants.

Jesus, I thought i was watching a wrestling PPV.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: