Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 06:41:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Download Festival - June 11th
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Download Festival - June 11th  (Read 107626 times)
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #600 on: June 12, 2006, 07:11:43 AM »

get you, dave.
darkmonth
« Reply #601 on: June 12, 2006, 07:16:53 AM »

It takes a brave man to accept he has been wrong... Despite anything else I take twisted's post as a massive positive.....

Thanks man.  I still stand by some of the stuff I'd said before... the whole Robin thing.  Don't like his playing in general.  And the vegasy style of some of the stuff in the past (ie: Rio5... very glitzy).  Download was stripped down... the pyro's etc were the biggest thing and they were very good.  The lighting etc... very basic.  Worked great.

I stand by some of the comments I have made in the past.  But I just like to give credit where credit is due, and in this case... man, Axl Rose proved once again that yes, he IS the greatest frontman to have ever graced the earth.  He HAS made mistakes and stuff.  But at Download, he hit 98% of all his notes, sounded like the 'old' young Axl, with that rasp that we all came to love (not the processed weird smooth 2002 Axl most of us didn't like).  He was on top form.

I seriously just wish it was Robin on Rhythm and Richard on lead tho.  That would be incredible Smiley

Peace! xox
sneeks
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #602 on: June 12, 2006, 07:18:59 AM »

I seriously just wish it was Robin on Rhythm and Richard on lead tho.  That would be incredible Smiley

I fully agree with you on this and have thought the same since 2002.

How could you say that I never needed you
When you took everything
Said you took everything from me

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #603 on: June 12, 2006, 07:41:14 AM »

lol my friends went and....this is just very bad....but they thought that ron thai was slash LMFAO

they were like "lee slash turned up and played with gnr" ........." hihi dudes slash wouldnt do that, did he have a lil hat on" "yeah" "dudes thats bumblefoot the new guitarist" "oh....that sucks"

html sucks
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #604 on: June 12, 2006, 07:45:15 AM »

lol my friends went and....this is just very bad....but they thought that ron thai was slash LMFAO

they were like "lee slash turned up and played with gnr" ........." hihi dudes slash wouldnt do that, did he have a lil hat on" "yeah" "dudes thats bumblefoot the new guitarist" "oh....that sucks"

Oh man........  Shocked

Seriously, how could they think that?  hihi He's nothing like Slash!!
 rofl rofl rofl
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #605 on: June 12, 2006, 07:48:03 AM »

Oh man........  Shocked

Seriously, how could they think that?  hihi He's nothing like Slash!!
 rofl rofl rofl

pah they are lil emo wannabes. shame i couldnt have gone id have soon pointed out who was who lol.

they didnt even know what the songs they played were called only welcome to the jungle. They call themselves fans lmao.

they said gnr played an amazing gig even with the new line up. I still refuse to agree unless i go see them myself which i may do by booking some tickets for the UK tour. Though im worried bout axl

1. Turning up very late
2. not turning up at all
3. starting a riot
4. beating the crap out of someone then starting a riot

html sucks
CD2006
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #606 on: June 12, 2006, 07:48:55 AM »

Dude ... chill out ... it's not a 'review' ... it's just me saying what I think. Nothing official.? And read what I said you cockwit... I stand by my argument that Robin is the weak link.? I stand by that!? ?So what if I think Axl played an amazing gig ... ?? How is that meaningless?? Are you telling me that I should, just because you say so, slag Axl off when I don't think in this case he deserves it?

My fucking God, wake up and don't be so narrow minded!? If your friends tell you that you sucked at playing a game on Mario Brothers, and then the next time you played well, and they told you you did play well, would you tell them to fuck off because it means nothing?

Don't be such a twat.? And shut up, because your opinion means nothing either.

My opinion is based on what I see when I see it, not some pre-defined ideal about what I 'should' think like people like you!

right ok, keep up the insults to bury your "points" further. show your true side some more.
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #607 on: June 12, 2006, 07:50:48 AM »

And he threatened to leave the stage after 'Better' if the crowd persisted in throwing bottles.

So if anyone from besides Axl walks off, it's still Axl leaving? ok

Actually, this show had quite some drama in it and I think they proved themselves very very well. Tommy being pissed, not a bad thing. Robin doing the same earlier. These guys are serious in what they do.

No, this is turning into a classic gig

I think that the only reason Axl didn't walk off and never came back was because of Izzy. I mean, who knows, maybe he isn't going to play anymore gigs with the band this summer, and it would really suck if Axl invited Izzy and then walked home before Izzy got a chance to play.
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #608 on: June 12, 2006, 07:51:19 AM »

Somebody got too close to him and he called the guy a cunt...
Honestly couldn't see Axl using that word.

Anyway, I thought the only insult Axl knew was "fucking asshole"

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
darkmonth
« Reply #609 on: June 12, 2006, 07:52:45 AM »

Dude ... chill out ... it's not a 'review' ... it's just me saying what I think. Nothing official.  And read what I said you cockwit... I stand by my argument that Robin is the weak link.  I stand by that!   So what if I think Axl played an amazing gig ... ?  How is that meaningless?  Are you telling me that I should, just because you say so, slag Axl off when I don't think in this case he deserves it?

My fucking God, wake up and don't be so narrow minded!  If your friends tell you that you sucked at playing a game on Mario Brothers, and then the next time you played well, and they told you you did play well, would you tell them to fuck off because it means nothing?

Don't be such a twat.  And shut up, because your opinion means nothing either.

My opinion is based on what I see when I see it, not some pre-defined ideal about what I 'should' think like people like you!

right ok, keep up the insults to bury your "points" further. show your true side some more.

WTF!?  How am I burying my points!??  LOL!  You muppet!  Others have agreed or given me credit for my post.  Why don't you stop reading just the first sentence of my posts and go back and read again.  I DON'T BURY ANY POINTS!  I TELL IT HOW I SEE IT!

You fool
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #610 on: June 12, 2006, 07:56:38 AM »

Oh shut up.

Great gig. The sound wasn't the greatest where I was and it was apparent something was wrong when the band took a break and Axl didn't move during Better.

But they overcame the obstacles and kicked ass.

Seeing Izzy up there was a nice bonus. Also the added songs were a nice surpise.

I just got back after having to spend a night in Derby waiting for a bus.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
darkmonth
« Reply #611 on: June 12, 2006, 07:58:33 AM »

I hope that 'shut up' was directed at both of us ... because I didn't start an argument... I just defended myself.

Fucks me off when people don't read posts correctly.

If you directed it at me, I hope your stay was shit ... if both... I hope you enjoyed yourself! Cheesy LOL!

The sound was CRYSTAL clear where I was so I am VERY happy.
anythinggoes
« Reply #612 on: June 12, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »

Oh shut up.

Great gig. The sound wasn't the greatest where I was and it was apparent something was wrong when the band took a break and Axl didn't move during Better.

Seeing Izzy up there was a nice bonus. Also the added songs were a nice surpise.

/jarmo

yeah i didnt have the most comftable of nights i was sleeping in the back seat of my car til 4.30am not good after the few days ive had then went up to the sevice station to find all the food shops closed but i made it home around 6.00am in the end tired exhausted and in a way glad but sad this part of my tour is over ah well 6 weeks and ill be back too it.

Hope you enjoyed your stay in England Jarmo it was nice meeting you Jarmo,Graciela,Adz,Will,Arron,Stoned(do you remember the show),Estranged,tonya(in passing),Irish Fecker,nightfall,shoco,migula(sorry cant remember your username all i know is you was from finland) ?and i think it was Calcy we met up with at the airport in Dublin and to anyone else i met these last 5 days i will never forget GNR ARE BACK
badapple81
« Reply #613 on: June 12, 2006, 08:29:05 AM »

Sounds like you guys had a great time!

And by the looks of that medley I saw.. you got to see Axl in fine form! That voice sounded just brilliant!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #614 on: June 12, 2006, 08:30:19 AM »

are there any pics if the show.. or maybe video?
anythinggoes
« Reply #615 on: June 12, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »

are there any pics if the show.. or maybe video?

yes check the appitite for collection im slowly uploading the videos now
jonnybgoode82
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #616 on: June 12, 2006, 08:36:03 AM »

Here's some piccies mothercluckers - I was by the sound stage so they're a bit far away. And after a night's sleep I still stand by everything in my review.

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #617 on: June 12, 2006, 08:39:23 AM »

Oh shut up.

/jarmo

Hey Jarmo! Glad you had a good day mate! Shame we could not meet up again! Well in my opinion yesterday was fucking amazing once again! Yeh it was unfortunate what happened for 5-10 minutes or so, but fuck hey that live music. The band still played a blinding set. I thought Axl was in top form, and the way he raised the tempo even more after the little incident was fantastic. After sitting and reading through these pages this morning, there have been the odd comments about people in the crowd moaning etc, but in all fairness where me and my girlfriend were stood people were fucking loving it all the way through and the photos I took of the crowd just showed to me how much they were into it, they were going nuts! Seeing Izzy live again was insane. That was the first time I have seen him live since Milton Keynes in 93. Skid Row were never really my bag but I though Sebastian was fucking cool last night! I just left there with this huge grin on my face. It was my girlfriends first GnR experience and she said she had never seen a concert like it! Also to get five new songs I thought was pretty cool too! One thing I have been reading since the tour started was that at some gigs people have not been responding particularly well to the new stuff! What a load of bollocks! People were going wild where we were stood and gave each song a great round of applause (admittedly Better was a bit subdued but that was due to what was happening on stage at the time). This was the one gig I was a little worried about on this tour due to the fact that a lot of the people there were not neccarsarily there just for Guns N Roses, but real metallers and into way too heavy shit which is not Guns N Roses style. But apart from the odd minority there, the crowd were blown away! They cant have been going nuts for nothing after each song! I will put up my pics later. It was wicked to meet so many really cool Guns fans there! Take it easy! Mike

Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #618 on: June 12, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »

I was there ... you'll know I've slagged this band in many ways .. .tho I still think I have been fair ... I thought the gig was incredible... the tossers who threw bottles were doing it everywhere ... I got hit countless times... and instead of throwing back, I just turned around and my girlfriend and me ended up in an argument with some twats ... anyways ... after Better, the crowds behind us boo'd... but that was becauyse they were there to throw shit /.... the main bulk of the crowd was energetic and excited.  Axl and his guys put on a phenomenal set.  And yes, I have to say, Axls voice was on TOP form.  All of the group (7 of us) that I took with me (I paid!), agreed that this was Axl's best vocal performance in a decade and a half ...

Robin still erks me ... his playing style just does nothing for me ... Every time Richard rocked out solos etc, he sounded coherent, stylish, great tone, good skill and most of all, very GnR... Robin is the weak link for me ... tho he wasn't awful, I'll say that.  Ron Thal...?  No offence... no need for him.  He was good ... but nothing amazing.  His shred skills are easily matched by Richard.

The crowds LOVED the classics from AFD, and the UYI songs that came on, especially a beatifully performed November Rain, were mesmerising.  The first new song to be played, Better, was boo'd ... but moreso because of Tommy throwing a bottle and the crowd being riled up about them in general... because the performance kicked ass.  Subsequent 'new' song performances were actually greeted with cheers and claps ...

Axl didn't complain ONCE about anything to the crowd... Tommy was the one who threatened to leave, while Axl just had his arms crossed.  If you ask me, Tommy shouldn't have just threatened to leave, he should have jumped in and beat the fuck out of the loser who hit him....

Near the end Axl said "I don't wanna go home .... can't say I meant that an hour ago" and the crowd were happy he was happy.

Overall, probably the best gig I've ever seen.  No technicall issues ... the tiiiiniest vocal mic mix issues for about 10 seconds but after that, the sound was supreme... tho, as with any large stadium gig, that will depend where you are.  We had a majorly awesome view, close enough, and clear sound and vision the whole way. 

Axl was on top form... the band were on top form.  They cut some of the vegasy style shit I'd complained about.... it seemed more raw... was ace.

I am NOT going to say they are better than the old band ... I still love the old band more ... BUT ... they stand as a great band in their own right, and let's hope Chinese is released soon Smiley

xoxo

I wanted to post earlier but my net was buggin.

Good review man. Im glad to see you liked them. Someone said earlier it takes bravery to admit youre wrong and I applaud it.
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #619 on: June 12, 2006, 08:49:30 AM »

don't worry that won't get mentioned in the news, some twats decided a riot was needed to finish the weekend off and proceded to destroy the fucking place.

trees, tents, vans, toilets all set on fire. the poles supporting the lights were ripped down, riot police came and had to use tear gas, to stop the morons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/5070798.stm

About a dozen people have been detained by police after trouble broke out overnight at a rock festival.

Leicestershire Police were called to the site of the Download Festival at Donington Park on Sunday night after reports of fires being started.

When officers arrived, missiles were thrown at them while they tried to control the situation. No-one was seriously hurt.

Some of those detained could face charges of assault and criminal damage.

Superintendent Les Milner from Leicestershire Police appealed for anyone who may have taken pictures or footage of the attacks on their mobile phones to get in touch.

"The disorder involved a number of people and it is not clear at this early stage what sparked the trouble," he said.

Supt Milner said investigations were ongoing and police were collecting witness statements from people still on the site.

Headline act Guns N' Roses closed the three-day festival which was attended by about 75,000 people.

The band's last appearance at the festival in 1988 ended in trouble when a crowd of 107, 000 people surged towards the stage, crushing two fans to death.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: