Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:24:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Thoughts from people that don't drink the kool aid on the new version of GNR
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thoughts from people that don't drink the kool aid on the new version of GNR  (Read 14960 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2006, 06:27:14 AM »

I don't care what they think. They'll all be kissing GN'R if it gets big again.

what makes you say that?? I don't care what bands become big again, I'm not going to act like I'm 16 again.. Most people once they past their teen years or early twenties they don't go ape shit again because a band is back..

with the exception of being a working professional with a wonderful wife and 2 kids...I feel like I'm 16 again!   beer   GNR is back baby!!  Happy Father's Day folks.   peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2006, 06:29:50 AM »

how can they be back, all the people are pretty much new.. Tongue

Well I don't feel they are back, I feel axl is back with a name I know...

if the people I watched at 16 didn't return then they aren't back

yes happy father's day beer
Death Cube K
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2006, 06:46:42 AM »

lets be honest.  Outside this board the new band does not have any respect.  You can't just take 10 + years off and put the title Guns N' Roses on a bunch of new guys and have the general public accept them like they were back in the day.  I expect to hear comments like these until CD comes out and establishes the new band in history.  I expect the new band will make their mark one day.  From the leaks, it sounds promising.  Until then we can't get frustrated about these kind comments.

Yes, you are quite right. You cant expect others to accept this. Its easy for most of us, we have known these players for as long as the old guys now, more or less. For people outside the community they are nothing special. Yet. You cant expect average interested people to dig up these bits on the Internet. For them this is brand new, not something that got established in 1998 and we are used too. They need time, and Axl knows he have to do it carefully. Until Chinese Democracy comes out this band have to prove themselves, and its a loose-loose situation anyway. I admire Axl to bits to go thru this just to give us the music.

It looks promising enough...it will be ok. Just give people time.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2006, 07:25:27 AM »

how can they be back, all the people are pretty much new.. Tongue

Well I don't feel they are back, I feel axl is back with a name I know...

if the people I watched at 16 didn't return then they aren't back

yes happy father's day beer

I guess when I say they're back, I'm referring to GNR the entity, not "GNR Axl-Slash-Duff-Izzy, etc." 

Also, when I say they're back, just listen or watch an '06 song after an '02 song.  99.9% of folks would tell you, and I think you'd admit, Axl's vocals, look, and intensity/heart are 100 times better now.  Robin is 1000 times better than '02 as well.  Is there another rock band out there you'd like to see more? 

Now it's time for me to go fishing with my 3 year old for the first time in his life...how's that for a Father's Day!   love 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2006, 07:57:05 AM »

As soon as somebody likes the show, they're a "fan boy".

As soon as somebody doesn't, they're a "realist".  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2006, 09:30:23 AM »

I think it's great when someone likes the shows or the new guys, I only hate when so called gnr fans hate the old band or the old guys..

it would be like going to the queen board saying I love queen but hate freddy mercury, the new guy is queen hihi

it would be like telling someone I'm a huge gnr fan and they go yeah slash izzy rock, then the person saying no robin richard tommy brain, and they go who??
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 10:33:30 AM »

Mike Guiliana - I'm with you all of the way. Its good to hear someone speak sense on this board whilst everyone sucks up to Axl and the new band as if they are the greatest thing ever. Theyre not, and I doubt they will be - theylll always have the shadow of the classic lineup hanging over them. Why do you think Axl needs to haul Izzy out night after night. To add some credibility, thats why. 'Oh look theres actually 2 members of Guns n Roses up there!'

I saw these new guys at Hammersmith and it rocked, dont get me wrong. But I felt like I was being conned. Which I guess, I was.

Cheers

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2006, 12:05:21 PM »

Mike Guiliana - I'm with you all of the way. Its good to hear someone speak sense on this board whilst everyone sucks up to Axl and the new band as if they are the greatest thing ever. Theyre not, and I doubt they will be - theylll always have the shadow of the classic lineup hanging over them. Why do you think Axl needs to haul Izzy out night after night. To add some credibility, thats why. 'Oh look theres actually 2 members of Guns n Roses up there!'

I saw these new guys at Hammersmith and it rocked, dont get me wrong. But I felt like I was being conned. Which I guess, I was.

Cheers

Great post....

Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2006, 01:01:44 PM »

Cheers!

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
jsg2295
Banned
Headliner

The Album will come.

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2006, 08:15:27 PM »

Cheers
You went to the arena and thought it rocked but thought you were being conned?Why? Someone tell you the originals were back? Someone force you to go at gunpoint? They put a tophat on Robin and call him Slash? I dont understand your con part. I am sure you are a reasonable adult and knew before going that some of the original members werent there. It makes no sense.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2006, 08:47:21 PM »

As soon as somebody doesn't, they're a "realist".? hihi

/jarmo

interesting perception Jarmo

I see it similarly, although I think it goes more like:

Blindly salivating over even the lamest Axl/hired Guns band performance etc..= realist
Questioning the emperors new clothes or objectively critiquing one of our favourite singers of all time = 'hater'

i guess perception is indeed reality  Smiley

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2006, 11:16:34 PM »

Well I have mixed feelings on the whole thing.

On one hand - on the new music i've heard from this line up - you know the stuff: the blues, madagascar, catcher, twat, irs, better......i've felt the new band were simply stunning, awe inspiring, and all around fantastic!!!

On the other hand - when they play the old songs, and in particular the solos composed and previously performed by Slash, I do notice that its a cover of someone elses version. Its a very cool rocking cover version, but if i'm honest I do feel its not quite what it once was, simply from the virtue of it being different people.

Thats not to say I don't support the new band, I'll kill to go to the aussie shows, I'll buy the CD on the first day, and i'll rock out to them for sure.

On the NR video in this thread, I thought Richard did an admirable job of trying to get the same feel, I thought Robin just didn't capture the moment in this instance (no disrespect to robin - i'm not a hater, i LOVE his work on the new songs soooo much, but i just feel this particualr NR solo is not his best hour),  and I thought bumble's solo while very cool - lost a bit of the emotion that would have been in slashs. To me it was more of a cover of buckethead's shreddy outtro.

Now in saying that - i want to go on the record and say that all 3 of these guys are worldclass top notch performers - and I don't take anything away from the new band, I love them.

However, I do feel that in playing the classic hits, esentially what the band is being asked to do is play other people's music, and all musicians will shine more on their own material than on a cover.

So I guess i'm trying to say - to me the new band does an impressive, fun and excellent version of the old songs, enough to rock out to and have a great time, however if people are going to want them to replicate the exact playing and feel of another player then by virture of the simple fact that they are themselves and not that other player, it would never stand up to that test.

Where the new band shine as excellent, is when playing their own material, and I just hope Axl gives us the chance to see more of that soon (ala CD or a setlist heavier in new songs).
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2006, 03:53:39 AM »

I think robin is bad at november rain ever since 02... While his playing is definetly better he just never caputred that song
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2006, 08:30:28 AM »

As soon as somebody doesn't, they're a "realist".? hihi

/jarmo

interesting perception Jarmo

I see it similarly, although I think it goes more like:

Blindly salivating over even the lamest Axl/hired Guns band performance etc..= realist
Questioning the emperors new clothes or objectively critiquing one of our favourite singers of all time = 'hater'

i guess perception is indeed reality? Smiley

rofl

icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2006, 11:31:26 AM »

Cheers

Did you feel conned when Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener weren't there either? Because technically Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener are the originals...  Even though those 2 didn't help build the "empire" just create it.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2006, 01:46:30 AM »

Cheers

Did you feel conned when Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener weren't there either? Because technically Axl, Izzy, Duff, Tracii Guns & Rob Gardener are the originals...? Even though those 2 didn't help build the "empire" just create it.

Dizzy Reed is that you?

Dont be a picky wiseass. Technically this, technically that. Who cares. Were those guys on any Guns recordings or world tours or anything? Nah. Theyre irrelevant. Especially a man called Tracii fer Christ sakes. Whats all that about. Thats my Aunt's name.

If you want to know, I felt conned because theres a bunch of guys on stage butchering all of Slash's solos, Chris Pittman (why oh why Lord), and imo fairly ordinary new tracks at best. TWAT excepted - great song. Its as if Axl decides to hide for 10+ years and then come back with a totally new band and hope that no one will notice. 'Oh look Slash looks a bit funny with a bee guitar and a beanie - I liked his top hat better.'

I like Axl Rose, I like his work, but this whole insistence that this is GNR just doesnt cut it with me. A guy with a foot shaped guitar?! Cmon..... Guns didnt need stupid gimmicks in the old days. And they certainly didnt 'rock out' by playing Christina Aguilera. Most dangerous band in the world - lol.

I could go on.

Why cant he just call the band 'The Axl Rose Band' or something???!

Go on people, flame away.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2006, 08:20:24 AM »

Because the people that left Guns N' Roses LEFT Guns N' Roses. They were not fired. Axl Rose should not have to sit at home and do nothing or rename HIS band because 2 guys decided to QUIT.

Why can't people just understand that Slash and Duff quit and were not fired by a dictator???

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
monkeychow
VIP

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2006, 11:14:36 AM »

Because the people that left Guns N' Roses LEFT Guns N' Roses. They were not fired. Axl Rose should not have to sit at home and do nothing or rename HIS band because 2 guys decided to QUIT.

Why can't people just understand that Slash and Duff quit and were not fired by a dictator???

I love Axl. But the version of the story thats out there is that he got the rights to the name by refusing to go on stage unless everyone else signed. And at a time when guns didnt need another riot. So its not like he owns the band name cos everyone else just got bored and walked away.

Hell  I might quit too if i was one of the most famous guitarists of my generation and Axl was having paul huge re-record my parts, and refusing to use my material (see snakepit1) and the day before I quit I spent the day in the studio with him and he wouldn't even talk to me or look at me. Which is what slash said happened I think.

Look I'm not antil-axl - I think he is the best frontman of all time, and will always be my favourite vocalist of all time, and one of the most amazing creative songwriters out there. He also seems pretty funny and smart in interviews. However lets not sanatise the past to make him perfect. His track history of feuds and trouble shows that he's not always the easiest person to work with.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2006, 07:24:16 AM »

I love Axl. But the version of the story thats out there is that he got the rights to the name by refusing to go on stage unless everyone else signed. And at a time when guns didnt need another riot. So its not like he owns the band name cos everyone else just got bored and walked away.

Hell  I might quit too if i was one of the most famous guitarists of my generation and Axl was having paul huge re-record my parts, and refusing to use my material (see snakepit1) and the day before I quit I spent the day in the studio with him and he wouldn't even talk to me or look at me. Which is what slash said happened I think.

Look I'm not antil-axl - I think he is the best frontman of all time, and will always be my favourite vocalist of all time, and one of the most amazing creative songwriters out there. He also seems pretty funny and smart in interviews. However lets not sanatise the past to make him perfect. His track history of feuds and trouble shows that he's not always the easiest person to work with.

I completely understand that. Being a huge Pink Floyd fan, I always draw alot of comparisions between the two bands history. I always wonder if Roger Waters should've been nicer to Dave, Nick and Richard or if they should've worked harder. In the end I think they should've worked harder. You hear ALOT of stories about how Roger worked and acted and besides the riots and late starts, it's pretty similar to Axl.

I feel that the leader/frontman has a responsibility to do just that; lead. For me all the pushing and pulling that goes on leads to a better product in the end for us the fans. Having heard what we have of Chinese Democracy I think that it's very much Guns N' Roses material. To me, it shows who is/was right in this whole situation.

I think Axl said something once about how the Snakepit album was what Slash wanted the next album to be. From what I've heard I'd take "Better" alone over that ENTIRE album, Contraband too for that matter.

I'm not trying to saint Axl in anyway or forget about shit that he's done that sucked. I just think he's correct in this situation and judging by the music it sounds like he knows whats best for GNR.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
monkeychow
VIP

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2006, 10:15:19 AM »

I think Axl said something once about how the Snakepit album was what Slash wanted the next album to be. From what I've heard I'd take "Better" alone over that ENTIRE album, Contraband too for that matter.

I'll admit VR is in a different style...(although I still love VR)...but....

i've always thought if you took "It's 5 O'clock Somewhwere" and added Axl (like had he been into it) then you'd have an album of rocker type songs quite similar to stuff like "Back off Bitch" and "Perfect Crime" and "Bad Apples" - its that kind of rocky guitar riffs with strong lead guitar parts.  The riffs are the same kind of thing, the only thing that stops them being as good songs is no axl.

Like wise i think if you added Slash to TWAT, the blues, maddy,  or Cather you'd have an illusion era song in the same kind of style as Breakdown or Estranged....

Now before everyone bashes me, i'm not saying this should be done, and I accept the new band is the way it is, but i just find the similarity interesting when so much was ade of the creative differences and so far the leaks don't seem all that different.

I'll grant that  "better" is a little bit different - and I supose the stuff like Silkworms. Maybe I'm wromg I dunno!!...

Anyway I agree Better is a killer track, love that song, i know it was written by robin but its the axl that makes it rock the most I think, hehe..immagine it sung by scott or someone and u see what i mean, it would become like the song "Superhuman" on contraband Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: