Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 07:49:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  THEORY: "Checkmate" is a Rapidfire song?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: THEORY: "Checkmate" is a Rapidfire song?  (Read 5098 times)
Crossbearer
Opening Act

« on: June 13, 2006, 02:14:02 PM »

I came out of lurking to share my theory and see if anyone agrees....

I was just listening the 16 seconds of "Checkmate" and it really does sound like Axl.  It really does...if it's not him, it's a DAMN good imitation.

And come on, admit...the song in the clip really does kind of suck.

It sounds like a lame, cheesy, early 80's metal song.

Maybe that's because it is??

Remember those "Rapidfire" demos from 1983 that never got released?

Songs like:

Ready To Rumble
All Night Long
The Prowler
On The Run

Don't those titles sound more along the lines of this song clip than any of the other leaks we've heard? 

Better and TWAT and CITR just plain ROCKED....really just awesome songs all around.

This little clip of "Checkmate" (a title that was NEVER rumored by ANY source to be on Chinese Democracy) is pretty weak musically and lyrically and melodically...it sounds like a band trying to make it on Sunset Strip fresh off the bus back in '83.

Somebody had the Rapidfire demos and didn't release them for 20 years for some reason or another...I think somebody still thinks they will make money off them.  But I think somebody was trying to trick us into thinking this is really from CD.

I really hope that my theory is correct, I REALLY do, cause this song is just weak by comparison and has no palce being released in 2006.  It sounds like "Europe" or "RATT" or something.

I have no proof, I have nothing to back any of this up.  Just a theory.  I sure hope I'm right though.
SPUNKY
Rocker

do one sweatheart!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:15:44 PM »

I think checkmate sounds pretty good, so far!!

.............................we have to wait and see!!

Grin

SOUTHEND UNITED LEAGUE 1 CHAMPIONS 2006

HAMMERSMITH JUNE 7TH

DOWNLAND 9-11 JUNE GNR
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 02:16:54 PM »

I like it and its 15 secs. Just listen to the first 10 sec clip of CITR, that chorus doesnt indicate how the whole song is.
The song is not from 83, checkmate has axls new voice, its the same voice as in citr
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:20:49 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 02:32:33 PM »

Remember we had about the same amount of time from "My Favorite Pillow" to start, way back when.

And there were people who were SURE it was Axl.

I've heard Checkmate, I think it sounds like Axl for that brief clip, but wouldn't, at all, be shocked if it wasn't should the rest of the song come out.

I'm just saying......

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »

I agree...listen to the Rose/Hollywood Rose demos - Axl's voice sounded completely different. Checkmate/Zodiac (that's what Jackamo says it is) - is definitely Democracy-era Axl.

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 02:38:44 PM »

Remember we had about the same amount of time from "My Favorite Pillow" to start, way back when.

And there were people who were SURE it was Axl.

I've heard Checkmate, I think it sounds like Axl for that brief clip, but wouldn't, at all, be shocked if it wasn't should the rest of the song come out.

I'm just saying......

I said that song was not axl and i was right. I am saying this is axl and I know i am right
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:52:19 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 02:51:16 PM »

i think RATT are cool

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 05:48:53 PM »

I said that song was not axl and i was right. I am saying this is axl and I know i am right

Not for nothing, dave....but that's not quite good enough for me.? That's not to say I don't respect your opinion....I do.? But everyone is wrong at times...and a broken clock is still right twice a day.

As I said, I THINK it sounds like Axl.? I wouldn't be willing to BET it is, though.? Of course, I wouldn't be willing to bet it's not, either.

What I'm saying is, without more of the song...or, miracle of miracles, more info from the band....there's no real way to be sure.? Just as there is no way to be completely sure that song lyrics we think are correct ARE, in fact, correct.  Or tabs from the new songs are, in fact, the way the songs are played.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't get TOO attached to the idea this is definitely Axl, and I certainly wouldn't start jumping to conclusions, or trying to figure out possibilities, based on that idea.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:50:59 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
ROSE22
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 07:34:13 PM »

Not for nothing, dave....but that's not quite good enough for me.? That's not to say I don't respect your opinion....I do.? But everyone is wrong at times...and a broken clock is still right twice a day.  a broken clock is still right twice a day.............i like that ok

As I said, I THINK it sounds like Axl.? I wouldn't be willing to BET it is, though.? Of course, I wouldn't be willing to bet it's not, either.

What I'm saying is, without more of the song...or, miracle of miracles, more info from the band....there's no real way to be sure.? Just as there is no way to be completely sure that song lyrics we think are correct ARE, in fact, correct.? Or tabs from the new songs are, in fact, the way the songs are played.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't get TOO attached to the idea this is definitely Axl, and I certainly wouldn't start jumping to conclusions, or trying to figure out possibilities, based on that idea.
Brody
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 07:42:10 PM »

i wouldnt be surprised! it could possibly be!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 08:00:04 PM »

the fact that all we still have after a month is the short clip, leads me to think that it is a fake Wink

Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 08:00:53 PM »

I am still amazed people don't recognize Axl's voice when they hear it. It just blows my mind. I mean, wow!

As far as exactly how old "Checkmate" is, I am not sure. ?But I would say it is mid/late 90's, judging by the post-grung/punk rock chord progression.

Do we even know that Checkmate is the real name of the song? Anyone?

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 08:05:28 PM »

I am still amazed people don't recognize Axl's voice when they hear it. It just blows my mind. I mean, wow!

As far as exactly how old "Checkmate" is, I am not sure. ?But I would say it is mid/late 90's, judging by the post-grung/punk rock chord progression.

we know nothing other than that 16 seconds exists as a peice of music...there have been some pretty beleivable fakes over the years and i do think it sounds like Axl....but it's impossible to know if it's real or not....until someone proves it false or the whole song leaks  Undecided

Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 08:13:27 PM »

we know nothing other than that 16 seconds exists as a peice of music...there have been some pretty beleivable fakes over the years and i do think it sounds like Axl....but it's impossible to know if it's real or not....until someone proves it false or the whole song leaks? Undecided

First of all, if you listen to the clip you know it's Axl singing. Second, for argument's sake, do people really believe that someone found an unknown and obscure band with that kind of production and a lead singer that sounds like Axl, cut 16 seconds from one of their songs and passed it off as GN'R? If so, fuck GN'R and Chinese Democracy, find me that band and I'll take that instead!

It's Axl. I mean, come on...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 08:17:46 PM »

we know nothing other than that 16 seconds exists as a peice of music...there have been some pretty beleivable fakes over the years and i do think it sounds like Axl....but it's impossible to know if it's real or not....until someone proves it false or the whole song leaks? Undecided

First of all, if you listen to the clip you know it's Axl singing. Second, for argument's sake, do people really believe that someone found an unknown and obscure band with that kind of production and a lead singer that sounds like Axl, cut 16 seconds from one of their songs and passed it off as GN'R? If so, fuck GN'R and Chinese Democracy, find me that band and I'll take that instead!

well IMO it is quite possible that somebody could sound like Axl for 16 seconds...there is actually a guy in a gnr coverband that im told sounds like him...and it's very shitty quality sound....I mean comeon how can you definitevely say that beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is him...I agree it does sound like him but.....chances are it's a fake

Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 08:28:42 PM »

well IMO it is quite possible that somebody could sound like Axl for 16 seconds...there is actually a guy in a gnr coverband that im told sounds like him...and it's very shitty quality sound....I mean comeon how can you definitevely say that beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is him...I agree it does sound like him but.....chances are it's a fake

I've heard many singers trying to sound like Axl's raspy voice (even though they never were all convincing), but never his "normal" voice.

I say there is no chance that song does not feature Axl on lead vocals, so we can only agree to disagree.
micfac
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 08:31:04 PM »

i cant believe whoever released that 16 seconds hasnt released the rest - cmon dude give us the rest of the fuckin song and we'll settle this once and for all - imo the fact they havent suggests an axl or merck cease a desist order is in place which means its gnr chinese democracy material or somebody is very cleverly fuckin with us all.
Niko
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 08:57:18 PM »

come on!! dont call your self gnr fan if you cant recognize axls voice!!!! (thats for almost evrybody in this thread)
Steel_Angel
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 08:57:24 PM »

1)the guy who leaked the 16sec was probably caught by merck cuz of razz.
2)most of us already know "checkmate" isnt the real title of the song
3)ur theory sucks? Undecided IMO

edit: "imsorry's" version of checkmate
its tight. its the same leak tho, haha.
this is so gonna be a kickass song  drool drool drool
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:58:17 PM by frozen Inferno? » Logged
McDuff
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 12:00:43 AM »

that's not Axl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: