Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228528 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Reasons for TWAT not played?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reasons for TWAT not played?  (Read 6237 times)
andypa1
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: June 10, 2006, 06:54:05 AM »

Hi, when i was waiting for the tour to start the song i wanted to hear played the most was TWAT, but then thats it only for the first night. I dont know if anyone agrees with me but i think TWAT is the best of the leaks, but i love the other 2 as well. But instead of making this a whinging thread, why do you guys think axl stopped playing it? Cos its too emotional? Or cos hes saving the big guns for the album which surely twat is? Anyway i had a dream of holding a girls hand at nec birmingham while axl screamed "I Would do anything for you" i guess it aint gonna happen.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 07:52:26 AM »

I dunno.... It?s very annoying indeed. I was so dissapointed not to hear my favourite CD song in RiR... no

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 07:58:30 AM »

I dunno.... It?s very annoying indeed. I was so dissapointed not to hear my favourite CD song in RiR... no

Yep! Same here.  Undecided

But I think they don't wanna play too many new songs until CD comes out.
nycangel
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 08:04:59 AM »

yea i defintley miss TWAT, but i agree they may be holding off on playing too many new songs before the cd comes out
Origen
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 08:07:18 AM »

Wasn't it played in Madrid as well as New York. I don't think there is any reason why it isnt constant in the setlist.
mr self destruct
Headliner

That's not stardust on my feet

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:10:45 AM »

Hi, when i was waiting for the tour to start the song i wanted to hear played the most was TWAT, but then thats it only for the first night. I dont know if anyone agrees with me but i think TWAT is the best of the leaks, but i love the other 2 as well. But instead of making this a whinging thread, why do you guys think axl stopped playing it? Cos its too emotional? Or cos hes saving the big guns for the album which surely twat is? Anyway i had a dream of holding a girls hand at nec birmingham while axl screamed "I Would do anything for you" i guess it aint gonna happen.

You know, I was just wondering the same thing. It isn't like they haven't practiced to play the song, they have played it already twice, once in NYC and in Madrid... But I wanna hear more. I'm sure Bumble has had enough time to nail that Bucket solo already.

Come on Axl, all the new songs are great, but this is the best so far. At least play it once more on either one of gigs in Helsinki!  Cheesy

Every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun.
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »

I recall at the NYC show, Axl mentioned that they were going to try and ramble through this song, before launching into TWAT.

My personal feeling is that it's a difficult song to perform vocally.  Much like the end of coma, there are no breaks for Axl until the very long guitar bridges.  I remember at one concert during the Illusions tour, Duff started playing the intro to Coma, and Axl stopped him saying, if you want to play that song, you try and sing it.  If Axl's vocals are feeling a bit worn out, trying to sing this song isn't going to help.  My vocals are very similar to Axl's style, and I can usually get through almost all of GNR's tunes, with exceptions to Coma (that ending is very tough) and things start to get rough by the time Axl sings "... but there was a time."

Also notice that the only two times this song has been played (first night in New York and Madrid), the band more time to prepare and rest up.  Now that they're playing shows every two to four days, perhaps a six or seven minute opus isn't something they want to play every night (November Rain aside - though that's much easier to sing).

But you're right, this song rocks, and I always thought that this song of all the new ones would come off the best live (simply for the ending).  It is my favourite of the new songs and I was disappointed that I didn't get to hear it when I saw GNR on the 17th in NYC.  I'm going to see them in Paris on the 20th, and I was thinking of how I could get them to play it.  One idea was to bring a Canadian flag with me and spray paint the word T W A T on it and have my buddy and i hold it up.  Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
Megaguns
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 08:58:55 AM »

fuck knows why they dont play it, they have a sure fire hit on their hands, id bet that axl has his reasons and once CD comes out it will be a part of the set list, id expect that this current tour is a kind of farewell to old gnr music, and when CD drops we will have a new gnr setlist and just a few oldies.

simply put; HE IS SAVING IT BECAUSE IT IS A BIG GUN.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 09:15:10 AM »

Having been there at the Hammerstein on May 12 I can say it is probably my favorite new song, but it sounded like one big mess live. Axl's vocals on it were less than desirable, and the guitars toward the very end were a little messy in the mix. Me thinks there needs to be some major practive done on it before they can play that live on a nightly basis as it sounded the worst live of all the stuff they played if for no other reason than it seems to have more going on than any of the other new ones.
Wolfpac
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 10:27:07 AM »

I don't like any of the leaks/demos so I'm glad he's not playing them.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 10:30:28 AM »

Having been there at the Hammerstein on May 12 I can say it is probably my favorite new song, but it sounded like one big mess live. Axl's vocals on it were less than desirable, and the guitars toward the very end were a little messy in the mix. Me thinks there needs to be some major practive done on it before they can play that live on a nightly basis as it sounded the worst live of all the stuff they played if for no other reason than it seems to have more going on than any of the other new ones.
I saw the video and I didn't think it was that big a mess.  Axl sounded amazing and it was cool watching him and Tommy singing it together..  Robin and Ron both pulled off the solos pretty amazingly too.. I hope they add into the set permanent for CA.
misterbrownstone
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 11:01:52 AM »

same with Chinese Democracy. 
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 11:49:20 AM »

welll i heard it live  Grin lucky me i guess. it's a shame they're not playing CD as well, cuz the new version is sooooo sooo sooo powerful live, i think it's the best song they played in Madrid. the videos on the background are so strong, it's just amazing, the song as a great impact peace

Chinese Democracy!
Schwarzgold
VIP

KAWUGI!

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 12:44:09 PM »

I thought about the samequestion yesterday.

I just saw the video and I think, TWAT is not a good live piece.

Don't get me wrong, I love the song, really - from all leaks its by far my personal favorite. But I think the soundstructure is to complicated to work on stage. It's just a loud mess with a guitar in front and random "there was a ti-aaame"-screams from Axl. The artistic excellence of the song seems not to work on stage - or at least yet.

Maybe that's why they skipped it.

But on the other hand, what do I know. And I have no idea how November Rain or Estranged sounded the first few times.

Restraint is for suckers.
andypa1
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 01:55:41 PM »

cheers guys i agree, concerning wolfpac.. GET THAT GUY OUT OF HERE! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME MR ADMINISTRATOR MAN? YEAH GONE

Yup it sucks but its upto axl, anyways there isnt a girl to hold my hand.
justincrowe
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 02:00:32 PM »

Come on Axl, all the new songs are great, but this is the best so far. At least play it once more on either one of gigs in Helsinki!

i'll second that  ok

as for the topic, maybe they don't play it so much because out of all the leaks, TWAT's been getting the most mixed reviews. people either really seem to like or dislike the song. Better on the other hand, seems to appeal to most.

i personally think it's the best thing we've heard so far from Chi Dem... although The Blues is a close second for me.

08.14.91 - Icehall, Helsinki, Finland
07.06.06 - Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland
tbizzle
Banned
Rocker

"I've got a message for youuuuuuuuuuu"

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 02:15:46 PM »

I was at the may 15th show and they didn't play TWAT.  I was pissed at first because I love that song but the show still rocked and it didn't really make a difference in the end. I believe they'll play it when they're ready.

la la  la la
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 05:05:02 PM »

I love TWAT it's my fav of the leaks and I love Robin, however hearing him attempt to play the outro solo on the 12th boot makes me realise why they're not ready to play it on a regular basis yet.

He tries to replicate Buckets style but fails, why the fuck don't they let Bumblefoot handles Buckets parts?? I thought that's what he's there for and he is the shredder after all

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »

He tries to replicate Buckets style but fails, why the fuck don't they let Bumblefoot handles Buckets parts?? I thought that's what he's there for and he is the shredder after all

Bumble does play the outro on it live, you just can't see it on the video that is floating around. Anyone who saw the show saw that is was Ron playing all of that, not Finck.
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 06:13:52 PM »

Bumble does play the outro on it live, you just can't see it on the video that is floating around. Anyone who saw the show saw that is was Ron playing all of that, not Finck.

Really? My bad.
I still satnd by my statement that he doesn't do it justice though, unfotunately  Sad

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: