Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 05:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Blues vs Don't Cry
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blues vs Don't Cry  (Read 9792 times)
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2006, 05:01:05 PM »

I would like to be able to listen to a studio quality track of The Blue's before making a final decision, but right now I say Don't Cry is the better song live...of course I saw The Blue's at a show in '02 and Axl's voice wasnt that great the night i was there. smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2006, 05:18:50 PM »

true it's all opinion, but you find robin's solo "amazing".. very few things in this world are amazing
Don't be a smartass, you know its a matter of opinion. It's amazing for me and for a lot of people here.

vince41090
Banned
Headliner

All the love in the world couldn't save you...

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2006, 08:29:05 PM »

^I second that.

"Hey, Axl, put the thing out- it already sounds better than Velvet Revolver"
~Rolling Stone Magazine
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2006, 08:48:58 PM »

No disrespect to all people who like The Blues, but its pretty boring compared to Don't cry...
directionality
Headliner

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2006, 10:41:39 PM »

I place them mostly on equal footing with one another, but I'm partial to "Don't Cry." The reason I say such a thing is because of the piano introduction to "The Blues." It's always sounded forced, almost as though it were added after the fact in an effort to give it an introductory portion. Overall, and to end any more of this digression, I'll conclude with this sentence: "It flows well but not nearly as well as what I hear in 'Don't Cry.'"
vince41090
Banned
Headliner

All the love in the world couldn't save you...

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »

I place them mostly on equal footing with one another, but I'm partial to "Don't Cry." The reason I say such a thing is because of the piano introduction to "The Blues." It's always sounded forced, almost as though it were added after the fact in an effort to give it an introductory portion. Overall, and to end any more of this digression, I'll conclude with this sentence: "It flows well but not nearly as well as what I hear in 'Don't Cry.'"

I'd have to disagree about The Blues intro. It's just a difference in taste, but i feel that the intro really sets up the pace and opens up the rest of the song, I love Dizzy's work there.

"Hey, Axl, put the thing out- it already sounds better than Velvet Revolver"
~Rolling Stone Magazine
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2006, 02:36:17 AM »

I think a more appropriate comparison is "The Blues" vs. "Estranged" as they're a lot more similar. Both songs are much, much, much more complex than "Don't Cry" is.

I think the simplicity of "Don't Cry" helped it to be a big hit. "The Blues" might be too intelligent for the average audience, at least for it to climb all the way up the charts.

Here Today . . .
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2006, 09:11:08 AM »

The Blues is a pop love ballad that sounds dated. Kind of a November Rain kind of song which I consider dated also.. Just not a big fan of love ballads.? I hardly ever listen to Don't Cry anymore either cause I find the lyrics cheesy this day and age.. The music to Don't Cry is still pretty incredible and Axl's voice and harmony with Shannon are great too so Don't Cry all the way.

EDIT: also one of Slash's Best solos.....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:16:18 AM by tomass74 » Logged

gnrbr
Rocker

Everywhere i go i c ya

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2006, 09:49:08 AM »

The Blues is a pop love ballad that sounds dated. Kind of a November Rain kind of song which I consider dated also.. Just not a big fan of love ballads.? I hardly ever listen to Don't Cry anymore either cause I find the lyrics cheesy this day and age.. The music to Don't Cry is still pretty incredible and Axl's voice and harmony with Shannon are great too so Don't Cry all the way.

EDIT: also one of Slash's Best solos.....

i aggree, dont cry is the best! peace ok
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2006, 04:05:05 PM »

I think the Blues is stronger than Dont Cry.

To me, Dont Cry is a very commercial formulaic song, one of Guns' popular but weaker songs. When comparing it to the likes of SCOM or even NR, it doesnt hold up too well

The Blues is going to be a great song I feel

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
ROSE22
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2006, 06:05:45 PM »

right now i feel the blues is the better song. i don't know how i'll feel 10 years from now but right now def. the blues. georgous and sad, heartfelt lyrics.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2006, 06:10:31 PM »

After hearing it yesterday, the Blues. I thought yesterday's perf of the song was better than Hammersmith.

Prefer the more guitar based version though

Here today...ready to rock
guns_n_roses
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2006, 07:04:02 PM »

i dont think its anywhere close to dont cry...

Wait to hear the studio version first, the lyrics in the blues are better.

are not

"Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
You know I'd like to hurt you
But my conscience always tells me no"
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2006, 07:25:30 PM »

When I was growing up, my family had chickens. My mom was really attached to one specifically. Named her Betsy (or was it Bertha?). Anyway, when The Illusions came out, I was still living in that old home with the family. I was playing the album an insane amount of times. Betsy passed away (she was really old for a chicken), and my mom was heartbroken about it. Don't Cry was being played really loud, and my mom started crying so hard. One of those deep hard crying moments. She took it as a sign or something.

Now whenever I hear Don't Cry, I can't help but think about Betsy the Chicken. My mom brings it up once in awhile too. I don't think about Betsy the Chicken when I hear The Blues.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2006, 11:16:30 PM »

I think comparing the Blues against Don't Cry, is like comparing part 1 and part 2 of the Godfather.  They're both great, one will only be better then the other depending on the mood you're in, or if you grown tired of hearing one, therefore play the hell out of the other.  I think the new intro with piano in the Blues makes it more epic, and Don't Cry is a special song because both versions are awesome.

Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2006, 11:50:13 PM »

Don't Cry will always be great to me. The live version of The Blues in 02 was amazing, and at that point i thought it could rival Don't Cry, but the newer version I don't like. Slash's solo in DC is phenomenal, but the solo in The Blues is also great. In the end, it's going to come down to the studio work. I'm betting The Blues will get over-produced like Estranged and end up cheesy instead of soulful. I'm betting on DC being better, but it could go either way.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
dodger girl
Rocker

art is resistance

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2006, 08:31:09 AM »

I think out of the two, I still prefer Don't Cry.. I will have to wait to studio version of The Blues though to see if I change my mind..

but right now I feel The Blues is kind of cloying, too sweet that sometimes I can't stand listening to it. Don't Cry can be annoying too but I find it easier to the ears and not that suffocating ya know..

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: