Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:30:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Blues vs Don't Cry
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blues vs Don't Cry  (Read 9875 times)
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2006, 06:31:38 AM »

The Blues as it was in 2002 is better than Don't Cry in my opinion. I am not really a fan of how they seem to have dicked around with the intro though. Hopefully on the album it sounds like the 2002 version.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2006, 06:31:56 AM »

I think the Blues is going to prove much more timeless than Dont Cry - DC has aged kind of badly compared to a lot of their other stuff.

I love the Blues.

It has not aged! Everybody still loves it, not only Guns n Roses fans... The song is timeless and awesome! I'm talking about "Don't Cry" by the way Tongue
Emerson
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2006, 06:37:49 AM »

Don?t Cry

eggers
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2006, 06:57:57 AM »

Dont Cry hands down. I dont get the hype over the Blues its probablt my least fave of the new songs, Maddy is better and Better is best.
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2006, 08:10:24 AM »

I think the Blues is going to prove much more timeless than Dont Cry - DC has aged kind of badly compared to a lot of their other stuff.

Have to disagree there! don't cry is the blueprint to a sucessful power ballad!

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2006, 08:11:53 AM »

Dont Cry is hands down a Gn'R classic, which is what I bet The Blues will end up being once it's on an album available to the mass public.. ok

Musically, and lyrically, The Blues is far superior, but Dont Cry is by far the more catchy of the two, and for me, the one which tends to get stuck in my head more so than the Blues.

Maybe because it's such a simplistic ballad, that's why it's so easy to digest, but as many have pointed out, it has not stood the test of time as well as some the other songs in Gn'R's back catalogue have.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2006, 08:12:39 AM »

You can't compare them.

Don't cry is the old classic, The Blues is the new classic. Both songs are lirically perfect and have a beautiful melody.
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 08:15:22 AM »

just don't see how DC has not stood well, it's just as meaningful now as it was then, it's simplicity is what makes it so good. People say the blues is better lyrically, that should be the case has axl has grown up since then n so should his songwriting!

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2006, 11:06:48 AM »

Viewed objectively it appears that the blues is overall well written than DC.
That doesn't mean I like the blues better.
I like the simplicity of Don't Cry.

If it is released as a single, it may well be a bigger hit than don't cry, but that all depends on how it is promoted.
crofty
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »

Don't cry is more legendary, and will probably continue to be. Though Personally, I do prefer the blues.
dizzy68
Banned
Rocker

Here Forever!

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2006, 11:48:03 AM »

Well if this CD isn't finally released than Guns n Roses will NEVER have another hit. But I think that if the public actually gets to hear "The Blues", it will easily be a chart topper. It's new, it's fresh and in my opinion the best new song heard so far. It sticks in your head. It's a song that plays well across the board. It's not just a Rock song, but also an Adult Contemporary song and a TOP 40 song as well. Most radio stations will be able to play "the Blues" which is the main reason why it would be very smart to release it first! This is going to be the song that is able to get the word out that Guns n Roses is back! It's my personal favorite.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 11:52:04 AM by dizzy68 » Logged

HOT GIRL VIDEO HERE
Click here to check her out.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2006, 11:59:20 AM »

Is The Blues the new Don't Cry?? Meaning, is it that power ballad that the public is going to connect with and turn into a huge hit.? They are both soft, meaningful songs that are about the same subject and both have great guitar work.? I really think The Blues is going to turn into a huge hit the way Don't Cry did.

I like Don't Cry much better than The Blues.....I think Don't Cry flows much better and Axl's voice is stronger in Don't Cry
Shirell
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2006, 12:04:23 PM »

Te Blues, Love this one and Axl's voice is much stronger on it than it was in '02
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2006, 12:26:30 PM »

Agreed with Shirell about the vocal on the blues of 02.

if the public actually gets to hear "The Blues", it will easily be a chart topper.
It's not just a Rock song, but also an Adult Contemporary song and a TOP 40 song as well. Most radio stations will be able to play

That's my first impression of this song.
Reminds me of some George michael song, "MY way" by Frank Sinatra (and not by sid) and such.
It's a super pop song with deep lyrics.

It's also my personal last favorite (of new songs) but who cares. ok

Donno about the first single idea, as it's different from other songs.
For an indicator of the album, a more schizoid song would be Better.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2006, 02:14:02 PM »

The Blues is a better song than Don't Cry.  The lyrics are much, much, much better.

That doesn't make a better song ....

Melody, Chord Structure, Guitars...

Sorry, Don't Cry is a better song... but you're right, the Blues lyrics are better.  Overall tho, Don't Cyr.

Who said Blues had better solos than Don't Cry?  You're fucking smoking some heavy shit if you think that! Cheesy

I do love the Blues tho.  So far, the best newGnR song for me.

Don't Cry has a little bit better solo, but I really dig the solo on The Blues too.  Don't Cry's signature guitar intro is great too.  It's hard to compare which is better musically because they're different songs.  The Blues is piano driven, Don't Cry is guitar driven.  The Blues, overall is a better song to me.  The lyrics are leaps and bounds ahead, and musically it's just as good but in a different way
Madagascar88
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2006, 02:39:27 PM »

here are the facts:

The Blues is equally a great song as Don't Cry

HOWEVER, Don't Cry has MUCH more of a pop edge to it then The Blues... there isn't that catchy melody in the Blues that'll make it a hit on the radio or with the teen chicks of today.

We all love Estranged and think its one of the greatest songs of all-time... but guess what, much of the common public don't care for it and VH1 even voted it one of the worst songs of all-time.? It was too long and even in some opinions, too boring, to be a real hit.? I think The Blues is similarly a boring song and ballads with a really catchy chorus tend not be successful singles.

and if you honestly think the lyrics to the song will help make it a hit... then you need to get a reality check.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2006, 03:17:09 PM »

I love the people who swear The Blues won't come close - without ever hearing the studio cut...

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2006, 03:54:25 PM »

Well for me its no contest.

The Blues is a much better song than Dont Cry. The solo in The Blues is also awesome and on a par with many of the solos found on the older GnR songs, its bluesy melodic and kicks ass. Blues i also find to be 'heart wrenching' than Dont Cry as the way the song is sung almost sounds as if Axl is crying....Very emotional sounding song.

on par with any solo of gnr, you must be kidding me the blues solo is so boring... It ranks right up there with coma hihi
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2006, 04:21:39 PM »

The 2002 version of the Blues is far superior than Don't Cry. I don't like the new piano intro from 2006, but hopefully that won't be the version on the album. I remember reading an interview with Dizzy where he said they had three versions of each song. I think that Axl reads these boards to see what we think of the different versions of the songs. I hope he does anyway, because I'll be choked if he puts this inferior version of The Blues that he's playing right now on Chinese Democracy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 08:23:23 PM by Mattattack » Logged
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2006, 04:39:01 PM »

i dont think its anywhere close to dont cry...

I couldn't have said it any better.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: