Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Blues vs Don't Cry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blues vs Don't Cry  (Read 9889 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 01:52:25 AM »

Dont Cry is a cheesy ballad. The Blues is light years ahead of it.

MrProxy
Rocker

Enjoy The Silence!

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 01:53:06 AM »

I like the blues and cant wait for studio version and i personally think that it will be better than Dont Cry!

beer

---------------------------------
Max 200; characters remaining: 130
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 02:11:18 AM »

"The Blues" is a much deeper, heavier song than "Don't Cry." Lyrics wise, I think "The Blues" is a stronger song. Music wise, I'm not as sure. I love Slash's guitar solo in "Don't Cry" (luckily he surived that hellacious car crash so he could still play it!). I agree with the reviewers who said that "Don't Cry" has aged a little more than other GNR songs. I'm not sure what the reason is, but it has, imo. I think the studio version of "The Blues" will have the potential to surpass "Don't Cry." As to whether or not it actually will, though, is anybody's guess. Of the few new songs I've heard ("Better," "Madagascar," and "The Blues"), I see "The Blues" making the biggest impact. It's one of those songs that a lot of chicks will dig.

Here Today . . .
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 02:15:21 AM »

i think there's no fair way to compare the two succesfull-wise. maybe after we'll get cd and get the final version of the blues we would be able to speak about comparing.
but for now if you play the guitar intro to don't cry anywhere people will know the song and probably can sing the chorus (it's not that difficult Grin) and the song is 14 years old. if the blues will stand the test of time i'll be happy but for now, don't cry is the better song. and i don't think it a lot more deeper lyrics wise. don't cry has awesome lyrics imo

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 02:36:27 AM »

The Blues is a better song than Don't Cry.  The lyrics are much, much, much better.  Don't Cry is a great song but The Blues to me is like a shorter November Rain or Estranged
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 02:39:36 AM »

I like dc better more because of the guitar work, better mid solo.. I could care less what the lyrics are..
EccoTides
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 03:06:20 AM »

Granted, the solo in Don't Cry is pretty damn awesome - It's the only part of the song I dig.

I actually like the video more than the song itself. Slash chucking the guitar over the cliff when he's done with it? Excellence.  ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 03:13:08 AM »

Dont Cry to me has always been somewhat overrated.

I personally think The Blues,Twat and Better are all greater songs than Dont Cry.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2006, 03:17:53 AM »

Don't Cry is a great song ?and it is better than The "Blues". ?But I bet you if you give the" Blues" to Slash and Izzy to put in their guitar it would easily kick Don't cry's ass . ?The reason that these new songs don't have the magic as the old songs is not because the new songs are bad, not at all, it's that they lack great guitar. ?Axl is an amazing songwriter ?and as good as these new songs are ?they would be totally incredible if they had a bluesy guitar player like Slash. ?The way That Slash was able to bend those notes and hold them for so long gave the songs life ?and soul . ? These New players don't make the guiatr talk ?like Slash did. ?I understand that Slash can't write shit on his own ?but he would totally kick ass on these songs. ?The new songs are great ?but these new guitar players don't do the songs justice. ?How fuckin great it would have been if in the late 90's ?brian May would have joined GNR ? we would have some kickass solos .
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 03:22:25 AM »

Don't Cry is a great song ?and it is better than The "Blues". ?But I bet you if you give the" Blues" to Slash and Izzy to put in their guitar it would easily kick Don't cry's ass . ?The reason that these new songs don't have the magic as the old songs is not because the new songs are bad, not at all, it's that they lack great guitar. ?Axl is an amazing songwriter ?and as good as these new songs are ?they would be totally incredible if they had a bluesy guitar player like Slash. ?The way That Slash was able to bend those notes and hold them for so long gave the songs life ?and soul . ? These New players don't make the guiatr talk ?like Slash did. ?I understand that Slash can't write shit on his own ?but he would totally kick ass on these songs. ?The new songs are great ?but these new guitar players don't do the songs justice. ?How fuckin great it would have been if in the late 90's ?brian May would have joined GNR ? we would have some kickass solos .

Agree with the exception of "Better"

the rest of the songs especially an amazing song like TWAT just screams out for Slash.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 03:28:07 AM »

Great contributions you both... Roll Eyes

If you don't have anything else to say other than "I agree" or "I agree too", don't bother posting.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006, 04:14:16 AM »

I agree with Ignatius hihi hihi hihi

Ok that wouldve been funny but anyway:

I always thought the Alt Lyrics version was far superior to the Original Dont Cry.

U know the most interesting thing about GNR songs.

GNR are the only band who have amazing songs with complete Shit choruses.

Dont Cry's chorus is horrible, The Blues,NR,Estranged dont even have choruses.

SCOM's chorus is SHIT.

U know they got amazing abilities to be one of the biggest bands ever but yet not have very many choruses to speak of.

EccoTides
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006, 04:41:19 AM »

Agreed on Don't Cry's chorus (in fact, it's damn annoying)... But SCOM? That's a bold statement there.  Cool
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 04:43:04 AM »

Agreed on Don't Cry's chorus (in fact, it's damn annoying)... But SCOM? That's a bold statement there.? Cool

Come on Dude

Whoa oh oh oh Sweet Child O mine
Whoa oh oh oh Sweet Love of Mine

not exactly Longfellow.

For Axl to write such amazing lyrics for some reason he somewhat drops the ball for Choruses.

chas
Headliner

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 04:51:39 AM »

Well for me its no contest.

The Blues is a much better song than Dont Cry. The solo in The Blues is also awesome and on a par with many of the solos found on the older GnR songs, its bluesy melodic and kicks ass. Blues i also find to be 'heart wrenching' than Dont Cry as the way the song is sung almost sounds as if Axl is crying....Very emotional sounding song.
EccoTides
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2006, 04:55:25 AM »

Agreed on Don't Cry's chorus (in fact, it's damn annoying)... But SCOM? That's a bold statement there.  Cool

Come on Dude

Whoa oh oh oh Sweet Child O mine
Whoa oh oh oh Sweet Love of Mine

not exactly Longfellow.

For Axl to write such amazing lyrics for some reason he somewhat drops the ball for Choruses.

I do see your point, and to a certain extent I agree. But in this case the catchiness of Axl's wail makes up for it - It's simple and it's instantly memorable, and fun to sing along to. Perfect chorus, IMO.
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2006, 05:12:55 AM »

Don't Cry is a GNR classic. You won't be able to compare any new songs to the old until they too are classics.

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
Catt
Headliner

Do as you got to, go your own way

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2006, 05:17:26 AM »

The Blues is much more than a ballad, same as Estranged  ok It'll be great for a first single  yes I personally prefer it to Dont Cry. And the guitar work kicks ass.
Come to think of it, the lyrics are better too.
Not that Dont Cry isnt a great song.

darkmonth
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2006, 05:39:10 AM »

The Blues is a better song than Don't Cry.  The lyrics are much, much, much better.

That doesn't make a better song ....

Melody, Chord Structure, Guitars...

Sorry, Don't Cry is a better song... but you're right, the Blues lyrics are better.  Overall tho, Don't Cyr.

Who said Blues had better solos than Don't Cry?  You're fucking smoking some heavy shit if you think that! Cheesy

I do love the Blues tho.  So far, the best newGnR song for me.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2006, 06:05:22 AM »

The Blues is miles better than DC, The Blues is deeper, more mature and musically brilliant, if Slash's solo wasn't so good in DC it wouldn't have got any recognition at all imo, I think it's cheesy and imo the worst ballady/epic song on UYI.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: