Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:24:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Possible theory: The record company is holding up Chinese Democracy??
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible theory: The record company is holding up Chinese Democracy??  (Read 4122 times)
smeagol2124
Rocker

I will not go quietly

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 03:41:57 PM »

Sadly, artists have little, if any, say in when an album is released.  This goes for all artists, Eminem and U2 are some recent bigger names that come to mind.  Eminem wanted a late September release, Interscope said no -November is when it is.  It's strictly a deal between the major retailers and the labels, and it all boils down to who is releasing what and how much $ is behind it for promotion from the label.  That's why I am hanging my hat on a Novemeber release date, (I like November 14th actually  ok)  and yes I do know some pretty important "high on the food chain" retail people.  I see 0% chance for September, which means the US tour will indeed start prior to the album being released.

I wonder if the tour will be called "Chinese Democracy World Tour"?  That will be the interesting thing to come out of the US fall tour.  This European tour is all about one thing....(In my best Randy Moss voice).."Straight up cash money homie"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »

A couple quotes from the last 2 shows got me thinking.....

June 4th, 2006 Milan, Italy @ Idroscalo (Gods of Metal Festival) - "you know, as if we could do up here whatever we pleased, but in fact, we can't"

I mean we know Axl reads these sites, so he must have something to say about all the setlist complaints....

maybe.
I think he said that mainly because some fans think as if Axl is almighty and he can do anything he wants and blame him for anything.
like "he always changes his mind!" ....whenever some rumour doesn't come true.

And it is reported that there was a banner saying 'Axl is GOD' @ the milan venue.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 04:55:45 PM »

There needs to be a single out there to ramp up to the US tour. Axl made the mistake in 2002 by scheduling arena shows with no album support or promotion. Axl will find it difficult to support a tour again without new material to support: a single by September would do the job.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
sootn
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 09:32:19 PM »

Bottom line is why would they start touring? Why did 4 songs all a sudden leak. Shit adds up no news to any of you. We should and will have something this year.  fingers X  Tongue

GNR can't have a sucessful US tour without a single or album IMO. How much promotion does this album need? It don't need anything it will be all over the place once a release date comes from Axl and management. People who don't care or know anything about it will know right away. Its not up to Axl to say when to put it out its the record company who knows whats going on behind closed doors now with it. Guitar World coming out with an issue now? The making of CD. Stuff is flying around this year more than anytime. Hopefully it all works out.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 09:53:19 PM »

I don't think Geffen would hold up an album like this, that will easily sell tons and tons of copies making them tons of money. Got to agree that once this is released, hopefully this fall, that Geffen will bring in big bucks from this album.

IMO, Axl wants to get this tour done, go back and put some finishing touches on it, maybe re-record some stuff (possibly with Bumblefoot?), and then release it this fall/winter. I'm hoping for a single around September, maybe with a music video (could be partially what the camera crew is at each show for, maybe throw clips together of a song from some concerts to make a kickass music video). I'd love to see a Better music video, because I just think that has a huge chance to go over big with the public when it's finally released.

Along with that, I'm hoping for a October/November/December release, followed by a tour. That would be great, them getting back from Europe, taking some time off, finish up the album, start out fresh on a US leg of the tour. Hopefully they hit the NYC area so I can go to my second GNR concert!!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 08:09:19 AM »

Sadly, artists have little, if any, say in when an album is released.? This goes for all artists, Eminem and U2 are some recent bigger names that come to mind.? Eminem wanted a late September release, Interscope said no -November is when it is.? It's strictly a deal between the major retailers and the labels, and it all boils down to who is releasing what and how much $ is behind it for promotion from the label.? That's why I am hanging my hat on a Novemeber release date, (I like November 14th actually? ok)? and yes I do know some pretty important "high on the food chain" retail people.? I see 0% chance for September, which means the US tour will indeed start prior to the album being released.

I wonder if the tour will be called "Chinese Democracy World Tour"?? That will be the interesting thing to come out of the US fall tour.? This European tour is all about one thing....(In my best Randy Moss voice).."Straight up cash money homie"

Largely true, but I wanted to comment on 2 things.

First, a November release would actually mean there would likely be a single in September.  So they wouldn't be touring the US with nothing, at least.  And the PROMISE of a new album, at least, along with a new single, would probably bolster the first 1/2 of the tour (I'm assuming the tour follows closely the set up of the failed '02 tour).

Second, on the Euro tour being a cash grab....I disagree.  I don't think it's totally about that.  Probably in part.  But I also think it's about 2 other things.  First, it's about getting the bands name back in the public eye, getting some press, and ensuring that people know GnR are active and prepping them to "recieve" news about the new album.  Second, I think it's about rehersing and gelling as a band, so that when the US leg of the tour kicks of, (hopefully) with new material to support it (single and then album), they're already firing on all cylinders.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 08:15:21 AM »

Sadly, artists have little, if any, say in when an album is released.  This goes for all artists, Eminem and U2 are some recent bigger names that come to mind.  Eminem wanted a late September release, Interscope said no -November is when it is.  It's strictly a deal between the major retailers and the labels, and it all boils down to who is releasing what and how much $ is behind it for promotion from the label.  That's why I am hanging my hat on a Novemeber release date, (I like November 14th actually  ok)  and yes I do know some pretty important "high on the food chain" retail people.  I see 0% chance for September, which means the US tour will indeed start prior to the album being released.

I wonder if the tour will be called "Chinese Democracy World Tour"?  That will be the interesting thing to come out of the US fall tour.  This European tour is all about one thing....(In my best Randy Moss voice).."Straight up cash money homie"

Thats correct, but you got to remember that GnR arent most bands. I dont say this just from a raging fans perspective (even though I am one) because think about it - all these years, all this money and nothing; the band is on a pretty loose leash.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 08:57:34 AM »

First, a November release would actually mean there would likely be a single in September. So they wouldn't be touring the US with nothing, at least. And the PROMISE of a new album, at least, along with a new single, would probably bolster the first 1/2 of the tour (I'm assuming the tour follows closely the set up of the failed '02 tour).

Second, on the Euro tour being a cash grab....I disagree. I don't think it's totally about that. Probably in part. But I also think it's about 2 other things. First, it's about getting the bands name back in the public eye, getting some press, and ensuring that people know GnR are active and prepping them to "recieve" news about the new album. Second, I think it's about rehersing and gelling as a band, so that when the US leg of the tour kicks of, (hopefully) with new material to support it (single and then album), they're already firing on all cylinders.

I can agree pretty much with eveerything you said here Pilferk ok

Thats correct, but you got to remember that GnR arent most bands. I dont say this just from a raging fans perspective (even though I am one) because think about it - all these years, all this money and nothing; the band is on a pretty loose leash.

i think Geffen cut off funding years ago...i don't think they will sink anymore into it until it's out and has sold a 'few' copies (to put it lightly hihi ) also a reason, IMO, to wait until Christmas rush....people make impulse buys at that time so the sales will be skewed slightly by the mad rush to buy something and leave the store ASAFP....ultimately generating a bigger initial sale of the disk and thus more $$$ for everyone involved

A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2006, 09:06:57 AM »

First, a November release would actually mean there would likely be a single in September. So they wouldn't be touring the US with nothing, at least. And the PROMISE of a new album, at least, along with a new single, would probably bolster the first 1/2 of the tour (I'm assuming the tour follows closely the set up of the failed '02 tour).

Second, on the Euro tour being a cash grab....I disagree. I don't think it's totally about that. Probably in part. But I also think it's about 2 other things. First, it's about getting the bands name back in the public eye, getting some press, and ensuring that people know GnR are active and prepping them to "recieve" news about the new album. Second, I think it's about rehersing and gelling as a band, so that when the US leg of the tour kicks of, (hopefully) with new material to support it (single and then album), they're already firing on all cylinders.

I can agree pretty much with eveerything you said here Pilferk ok

i think Geffen cut off funding years ago...i don't think they will sink anymore into it until it's out and has sold a 'few' copies (to put it lightly hihi ) also a reason, IMO, to wait until Christmas rush....people make impulse buys at that time so the sales will be skewed slightly by the mad rush to buy something and leave the store ASAFP....ultimately generating a bigger initial sale of the disk and thus more $$$ for everyone involved

If November is THE month for CD I'd expect a big promotional push to maximise christams sales, if there were TV adverts for GH then I would expect some sort of advert for CD.

As for the euro tour being a cash grab I agree with Pilferk getting the GNR name back in the press and back into music buyers minds a couple of months in advance to a cd release doesn't seem a bad idea at all. Besides they won't be making much money with all the curfew breaking charges they're having to pay  hihi

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
madagas
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 09:11:22 AM »

Pilferk is right for the most part. However, until I get a release date for the album, I am simply going to be suspicious of Axl's motives. The 2002 tour was no different than what is going on now.   Sad
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 09:30:16 AM »

The posts I've read so far about the PR seem to be correct. In all honesty as soon as they (GNR together with the record company) do a press release saying the date of the album it will be everywhere. And by everywhere I mean all news outlets from Billboard to MTV to CNN and so on. We already went over the CNN thing and everyone who thought I was wrong was proven incorrect by the leaks so lets not do that again.  ok

Im sure that the press release will have all the details we need to know including the name of the first single as well as the date it will be released to rock radio. I would assume that they will also include the confirmed dates for the North American tour at that time with a teaser about more dates to follow.

I don't believe the record company is so much holding the band back from anything as helping along the process. There were 30 songs on UYI and the band played about half (or a little less then that) of them before the records actually came out. After the records came out, they actually ended up dropping alot of the songs they played before it's release from the setlist.

At this point (assuming CD is about 13 tracks) we've heard about the same percentage of tunes from it before it's release. I'm sure the record company is on board with that plan.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006, 09:43:18 AM »

The 2002 tour was no different than what is going on now.

In 02 Axl was showing certain numbers on his jerseys. now, no more.

I read it as an indication that the release is fixed. yes
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006, 09:52:06 AM »

The 2002 tour was no different than what is going on now.

In 02 Axl was showing certain numbers on his jerseys. now, no more.

I read it as an indication that the release is fixed. yes

they only played 6 euro/japan/china shows in 2002....they played the same amount of warmup dates in NYC and twice that in Europe already hihi

and there just seems to be more excitement all around this time....between 4 and 6 'new' songs a night, guest appearances...this is a "REAL" tour....2002 was a joke from the get go they just weren't ready...

This time i think it's for real ok
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 09:53:47 AM by Neemo » Logged

madagas
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 09:59:33 AM »

Key word..."you think". Factual reality...no release date set...still only general time frames given...no indication that the album is even done.
madagas
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 10:01:13 AM »

ps Tank, you're a lunatic. Grin
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2006, 10:16:37 AM »

ps No, Barney, I'm just a maniac. Kiss

And neemo I agree about this tour.
But 02 tour wasn't a joke either. They must have suffered serious damage. Lips Sealed
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2006, 10:21:07 AM »

Most certainly the Christmas rush is a massive time for consumers. Its also a time of rushed products aiming to capitalise on it (anyone who likes videogames will probably remember the unfinishable Ultima 9) and it would make perfect sense to release it then.

But, Axl doesnt strike me as someone too interested in business matters and good sales. Nor does he need to be either considering hes got both his name and the GnR name behind him. Remember last week there was a thread about a fake torrent of Chinese Democracy going #1 on the torrents? People want this album and itll sell like crack in LA no matter what time of year.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2006, 10:23:56 AM »

But 02 tour wasn't a joke either. They must have suffered serious damage. Lips Sealed

Well i mean as far as exposure....they played china, japan, belgium, England, USA and Canada....thats it for the "2002 World Tour"

Already in 2006 they played USA, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, Germany, Italy, England and Ireland tonight thats more countires than they played in all of 2002 ?in less than a month Shocked with 20 total countries scheduled so far on this tour...

But, Axl doesnt strike me as someone too interested in business matters and good sales. Nor does he need to be either considering hes got both his name and the GnR name behind him. Remember last week there was a thread about a fake torrent of Chinese Democracy going #1 on the torrents? People want this album and itll sell like crack in LA no matter what time of year.

well i agree with you in the fact that it'll sell hot whenever....but IMO it'll be hotter during XMAS shopping season...I think you are wrong about axl caring about buisiness....why fight to keep the GnR name if he wasn't Tongue
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:26:00 AM by Neemo » Logged

monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2006, 10:31:23 AM »

A couple quotes from the last 2 shows got me thinking.....

June 4th, 2006 Milan, Italy @ Idroscalo (Gods of Metal Festival) - "you know, as if we could do up here whatever we pleased, but in fact, we can't"

June 7th, 2006 London, England @ Hammersmith Apollo Theatre - After playing Better, "That was off our last album"

Is the record company holding up the release of this CD for the Optimal Sales (ie the Christmas rush November) ? and by holding onto the album they are stopping GnR from playing new songs and "burying AFD" (as some people refer to it)?

I mean we know Axl reads these sites, so he must have something to say about all the setlist complaints....

I think the first quote may refer to the setlist - in that like maybe he'd like to get up and play just new stuff or do covers or something else but like theres expectations that he has to play a certain amount of the old songs. I think he said something similar in 2001 at rio but I could be wrong.

As to the second quote...was that show filmed? Maybe the comment was for a DVD - so that it will go nicely with CD when its out? Or then again - could be a joke - or could just be a statement of fact - like better is on CD and that was the most recent album the band has recorded (even if its not finsihed)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2006, 10:36:23 AM »

As to the second quote...was that show filmed? Maybe the comment was for a DVD - so that it will go nicely with CD when its out? Or then again - could be a joke - or could just be a statement of fact - like better is on CD and that was the most recent album the band has recorded (even if its not finsihed)

hmm good observation...but the DVD will show a "Performed on: blah blah blah" and as I understand, every show is being filmed for footage Undecided so I don't think that is the case...but who knows hihi

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: