Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:21:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  British Media Response To THE RETURN
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: British Media Response To THE RETURN  (Read 3325 times)
Oasis1
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: June 08, 2006, 09:06:21 AM »

Sorry if this has already been posted in one of the million threads here....

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/23263

Guns n' Roses return to the UK
The band premiere four new songs
Guns n' Roses made their long awaited live return to the UK tonight (June 7) for a warm up show before their Download Festival appearance this weekend.

Singer Axl Rose - the only remaining member of the original line-up - returned to the Hammersmith Apollo for the first time in nearly 20 years for a set peppered with classic hits and four new tracks.

Typically, Axl turned up over an hour late with his seven piece band.

But he treated the crowd to a 130 minute set made up of fan favourites 'Welcome To The Jungle', 'Sweet Child O' Mine', 'Mr Brownstone', 'Patience' and Use Your Illusion tracks 'You Could Be Mine' and 'November Rain'.

His band also played new tracks - 'Madagascar','Better', 'The Blues' and 'IRN' - from the long awaited 'Chinese Democracy' album.

The show, which was watched by Queen guitarist Brian May and model Elle Macpherson, saw Axl make a number of costume changes in between spectacular pyrotechniques.

During the Bob Dylan cover 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door', the singer also handed his mic over for a member of the audience to sing.

He was later joined by former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach for 'My Michelle' before the band eventually wrapped up the show with 'Paradise City'.

Guns n' Roses played:

'Welcome To The Jungle'
'It's So Easy'
'Mr Brownstone'
'Live And Let Die'
'Sweet Child O' Mine'
'Madagascar'
'Better'
'You Could Be Mine'
'Knockin' On Heaven's Door'
'The Blues'
'IRN'
'Outta Get Me'
'November Rain'
'My Michelle'
'Patience'
'Night Train'
'Paradise City'

Guns n' Roses are now set to play the Download festival this weekend (June 10-11). For full coverage direct from the site tune in to NME.COM.

? IPC MEDIA 1996-2006, All rights reserved | Site User Terms | Privacy Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Buy Our Content

In The Magazine

Millions
Headliner

It burns when I pee...

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:07:58 AM »

From Channel 4 teletext Music News :

GUNS WAIT TO FIRE

Guns n Roses face a huge fine after their on-off Hammersmith Apollo gig ended at 12.50am on Thursday morning.
The band, who didn't come on until 10.35pm, had agreed a special curfew of midnight with the venue, one hour later than its normal finishing time.

Avenged sevenfold finished the support slot at 9pm. Fans were booing and chanting 'We Want Slash!' from 10pm - but erupted when GN'R finally came on.

Guns previewed four new songs from Chinese Democracy at their late - but ecstatic - Hammersmith gig.

They played Madagascar, better, IRS and meet The President. Sebastian Bach guested on My Michelle.

Introducing Better, Axl rose said, "Lets start with the lewdness, the rudeness and the stay-in-tunedness" , joking afterwards "That was a song from our last album."

A fan impersonated Axl Rose during Guns N Roses' cover of Knocking On Heaven's Door at Hammersmith Apollo. Halfway through the Bob Dylan cover, Rose said "You're looking lively, do you want to help me out?"

Rose held his mic out to a fan in the front row, who sang "Knocking On Heaven's Dowww-errr" in Rose's distinct style, giving Rose a big grin for the rest of the song.

TRANSCRIBED BY MILLIONS.
Millions
Headliner

It burns when I pee...

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:20:32 AM »

They're 2 hours late. Axl Rose (in a nasty brown car-coat, ginger cornrows in a ponytail) dances like a dad and looks like a football manager from 1975.

During the next 2.5 hours, the 3 guitarists will trade solos that go on for weeks. Wars are started and end during Axl's introduction to the band slot.

By God, GN'R are magnificent. This won't be remembered for missed trains, but for Axl beaming back to Earth.

The last, faux-industrial, GNR line-up in 2002 was horribly contrived, Axl Rose an often pitiable figure.

Tonight, he's happy, constantly joking with the crowd and looking like a man about to have the last laugh on the whole world who'd written him off.

he doesn't merely sing the old hits properly, he renews them, that squawk as simultaneously deafening and controlledas it ever was. If it wasn't for that hair, he'd be perfect.

Whether or not its GNR or a glorified solo project, the aray of musicians behind Axl rose are excellent.

Only youngest guitarist Bumblefoot, too twiddly here, is unimpressive and even he shows an enthusiastic potential.

Granted, lulls occuer during individual solos, as if Axl rose is too forcibly making a point to Slash "see how they can do the fiddly stuff! Ha!" But Robin Finck - "the ribbed condom of guitar", says Axl - is endlessly watchable.

They start with a spot-on Welcome To The Jungle, end on a thrilling Paradise City and confetti explosion, have mini-flames errupting from the stage and do a ridiculously good You Could be Mine.

But, its the new songs that fascinate. Madagascar and IRS are big November rain moments, President stadium ready..... and Better is stunning - a funk-rawk monster to rival Sweet Child.

A happy, healthy Axl would've sufficed. Now he's hungry again. Fantastic. 8/10.

TRANSCRIBED BY MILLIONS.
Mr.Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:25:18 AM »

Were on channel 4 did this come from. Teletext?
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:31:48 AM »

I bet they didn't play a new song called meet the President  Grin

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 09:34:39 AM »

Don't think this guy and I were at the same gig.? ?Roll Eyes

Downbeat review from someone who makes it blatantly obvious that his love for Slash has blinded him to the talent standing on the stage with Axl last night.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/articles/22834950?source=Evening%20Standard

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 09:51:53 AM »

I have to say most of newspapers reviews are right about one thing: Drop the THREE guitar players thing, drop most of all the solos/interlude, and just play a full Rock n' Roll show with a terrific guitar duet (the double RF) and a straight setlist, something like "take that in your face".
18 or 20 songs. a full 2H show.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:54:58 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 09:54:36 AM »

Why can't people use existing threads???

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »

I have to say most of newspapers reviews are right about one thing: Drop the THREE guitar players thing, drop most of all the solos/interlude, and just play a full Rock n' Roll show with a terrific guitar duet (the double RF) and a straight setlist, something like "take that in your face".

Three guitarists were fine to me. Bumble was fantastic. Also I think the three guitarists give the show a better sound. I am led to believe that a lot of bands have extra guitarists backstage.

Here today...ready to rock
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 10:00:14 AM »

Guns n' Roses played:

'Welcome To The Jungle'
'It's So Easy'
'Mr Brownstone'
'Live And Let Die'
'Sweet Child O' Mine'
'Madagascar'
'Better'
'You Could Be Mine'
'Knockin' On Heaven's Door'
'The Blues'
'IRN'
'Outta Get Me'
'November Rain'
'My Michelle'
'Patience'
'Night Train'
'Paradise City'

IRN

oh well.... Roll Eyes lol
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 10:08:40 AM by Skeba » Logged

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 10:02:58 AM »

Review from The Times (a British broadsheet newspaper - for those who don't know).

Second paragraph is a corker - Shepherd's Pie massage, anyone?    rofl

http://timesonline.typepad.com/music/2006/06/guns_n_roses.html

Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 10:03:29 AM »

Three guitarists were fine to me. Bumble was fantastic. Also I think the three guitarists give the show a better sound. I am led to believe that a lot of bands have extra guitarists backstage.

this is something that gets on my nerves too... Why is it needed three guitar players?? Isnt two enough? Thiis guys are awesome, that?s right. But I think that by having three guitar players just prooves the endless need GN?R have for slash... don?t u think? Like in November Rain, while Slash used to do the solo all on his own, now we have Robin, Richard and Ron doing each a solo part of the song... I really think they dont need three guitarists... they just don?t! my opinion, anyway.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 10:08:11 AM »

Why can't people use existing threads???

Because I kept getting an error message when I tried to open the thread, that's why I created a new one, won't bother next time.

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 10:10:32 AM »

Because I kept getting an error message when I tried to open the thread, that's why I created a new one, won't bother next time.

This was not just for you... Just a general notification. You were used as an example. That was the 4th thread that I'd seen about a review in a certain paper.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 10:40:57 AM »

nesquick,
I respect many of the things you say and agree on some things (that 2xRF are great duo), but I don't understand why you go down the same road in every single thread... Huh you don't accept 3 guitar players and all the solos7interlude and that is so fine as opposed I like it very much this way... and I don't talk about it in every single thread... no hard feelings, nothing personal, I respect your opinion, but it is enough  ok
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 10:47:25 AM »

ha ha the ribbed condom of guitar... robin fink
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 10:48:29 AM »

But, its the new songs that fascinate. Madagascar and IRS are big November rain moments, President stadium ready..... and Better is stunning - a funk-rawk monster to rival Sweet Child.
Wow, never readed a review praising the new songs that much! Thank you!!

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 10:51:18 AM »

Review from The Times (a British broadsheet newspaper - for those who don't know).

Second paragraph is a corker - Shepherd's Pie massage, anyone? ? ?rofl

http://timesonline.typepad.com/music/2006/06/guns_n_roses.html

funny stuff
the personal hairdresser ? the visas ? yeah right ....

people complaing cause GNR went on stage at 10.35 ... hell. that's early.

agropolus
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 10:52:19 AM »

Meet the President?
WTF?
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »

Interesting reviews, all the reviews from these shows are either really good or very critical but I haven't seen one yet that's not complimented his voice or that could deny the fact that GNR or at least Axl is back  ok

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: