Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Cycle sales powered by pricey gas
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cycle sales powered by pricey gas  (Read 1805 times)
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« on: June 06, 2006, 10:43:23 PM »

High gasoline prices are helping boost nationwide sales of motorcycles as commuters look for a fuel-saving alternative to four-wheeled travel.

The Motorcycle Industry Council, a manufacturers' trade group headquartered here, reports that sales of motorcycles and scooters rose 8% in the first three months of this year compared with 2005. Council spokesman Ty van Hooydonk and other industry leaders expect second-quarter reports, due in July, to show another jump in sales.

Vincent Stone, 36, of Los Angeles, shopping at L.A. Cycle Sports in Inglewood, is among those switching. He garaged his van and bought a 25-year-old motorcycle. "It cost me $85 to fill up the van. Man, it's been killing me," he says. "My motorcycle only costs $13 to fill up."

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation says 350,000 people will take its new-rider course this year, up 10% in a year. There are so many newcomers the foundation can't find spots for 40% of applicants.

"The wait time in some states can be months," says Tim Buche, president of the foundation.

At Coleman Powersports in Falls Church, Va., general sales manager Greg Keoho says the store sold 109 motorcycles last month, up from 76 in May 2005. Scooter sales were up to 44 from 35 a year ago.

Vento Motorcycles, makers of entry-level scooters and motorcycles with 250cc and smaller engines, saw a 33% jump in orders in April and May, says Henry Lonski, vice president of sales: "There are a lot of new faces coming into the dealerships, and I believe a lot of that is because of the gas prices."

Tom Lindsay, spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association, says a survey his group took of riders found 35% planned to ride more this year because of fuel prices.

Gas prices may be just the nudge some are looking for."A motorcycle is not a need, it's a want," says Kevin Foster, sales manager at L.A. Cycle Sports. "People are looking for reasons to justify that want, and gas prices do that."

Hugh Hurt Jr., emeritus professor of safety science at the University of Southern California and leading accident researcher, says new motorcyclists should learn safe practices. But he says new riders may not pose a greater risk than others: "The current problem is older riders, bigger bikes and alcohol."

Source: Yahoo news

Wish my car was only $13 bucks to fill it up.

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 05:23:42 PM »

wouldnt the cost of constantly filling up the bikes with fuel equal eventually to that of a car if you're travelling the same distance?

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 05:57:36 PM »

wouldnt the cost of constantly filling up the bikes with fuel equal eventually to that of a car if you're travelling the same distance?

Huh?

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:39:12 PM »

I get 75mpg on my Harley vs 35mpg on my Buick.  Yea, there's definitely a difference.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 02:58:30 PM »

Huh?

Well wouldnt you have to fill up your bike with the same amount of fuel eventually as you would with your car? Lets say for example, your car fills to 100l and your bike 10l. to go the same distance from a bike wouldnt you eventually pay the same amount of money?

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 03:55:52 PM »

Well wouldnt you have to fill up your bike with the same amount of fuel eventually as you would with your car? Lets say for example, your car fills to 100l and your bike 10l. to go the same distance from a bike wouldnt you eventually pay the same amount of money?

just have a think about it...you are assuming that cars and bikes are the same in all respects...motorbikes are much lighter than cars so require less energy to propel them forward, less energy means more distance on the same volume of fuel ... also distance depends on the fuel efficiency of the engine of the vehicles...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: