Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 03:56:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228111 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Chicago.. Anyone live there? What's it like?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chicago.. Anyone live there? What's it like?  (Read 12420 times)
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« on: June 05, 2006, 08:22:03 AM »

Hey,

Recently, my girl and I have been having some serious relocation discussions.  One of the places we're looking at is Chicago, IL.  It seems like a really cool city, lots to do, an actual change of seasons for once in my life (I've lived in Florida since I was born.. trust me, we don't get much of anything like that down here).. and, one of the most important things to me.. a days drive from ALOT of prime vacation destinations in the U.S.

I'd love to hear from anyone that lives there / has lived there who can offer me an opinion on the city.  I'm not worried about work.. trust me, I can work anywhere.  I'm more interested in neighborhood information, interesting tidbits, reasons I should NOT look into Chicago as a relocation point, etc.

Thanks!

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:52:50 AM »

Everybody I know loves Chicago it is supposed to be an amazing city. Brutal winters however.

What's the matter? You getting sick of Floriduh already?

Brody
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:56:45 AM »

Chicago is just like any major city, but it has a bit of midwest to it! Theres you good and bad neighborhoods..

The Herbert Hoover Birth place is just a day drive away 247 miles i think!!  rofl rofl
darknemus
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:13:49 AM »

Smiley - I've been sick of Floriduh for about the last 15 years or so.. its just I've never had a decent opportunity to escape this hellhole.  Now that we, as a couple, have seriously discussed relocation, its a different situation.

Like I said, I know I can work anywhere .. and Chicago strikes me as a good place to cultivate 'side business' as well.  I believe the late great Owen Hart said it best.. "Enough is enough.. and its time for a change!"

-darknemus

pasnow
VIP

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 10:49:36 AM »

I hear it's a great town, but only from friends who have traveled there for weekend Phils/Cubs games, so that's not much help.

Not trying to divert people away to another site, but you may want to try posting on Craigslist.org, in Chicago's board. Try Rant's & Rave's, although a word of caution, most people there tend to be pretty negative due to the anonymity of that site.  yes
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:50:32 AM »

I visited Chicago one time for a 4 day stay (3 nights). ?I stayed downtown in the Lennox Hotel and got to see my Red Sox play at Wrigley Field for the first time since 1913 (or something like that). ?I was there as a guest of a consultant and my wife was invited to come. ?All expenses paid (flight, hotel, tickets, drinks, food). ?We ate at 3 of the most amazing restaurants I've ever eaten at in downtown Chicago. ?There is so much to do downtown. ?It was a great experience. ?I know nothing of the suburbs though. ?

Bottom line, from my very little experience there in the city itself, I loved the place almost as much as Boston (I'd say those are my two favorite US cities that I've visited so far).
darknemus
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 10:54:27 AM »

I visited Chicago one time for a 4 day stay (3 nights).  I stayed downtown in the Lennox Hotel and got to see my Red Sox play at Wrigley Field for the first time since 1913 (or something like that).  I was there as a guest of a consultant and my wife was invited to come.  All expenses paid (flight, hotel, tickets, drinks, food).  We ate at 3 of the most amazing restaurants I've ever eaten at in downtown Chicago.  There is so much to do downtown.  It was a great experience.  I know nothing of the suburbs though. 

Bottom line, from my very little experience there in the city itself, I loved the place almost as much as Boston (I'd say those are my two favorite US cities that I've visited so far).

Very cool.  I plan on living downtown in the city, though - if we go.  I'm kind of tired of the whole suburban thing.

-darknemus

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:27:41 AM »

Smiley - I've been sick of Floriduh for about the last 15 years or so.. its just I've never had a decent opportunity to escape this hellhole.  Now that we, as a couple, have seriously discussed relocation, its a different situation.

what about south beach? i liked south beach.  i wouldnt live in miami, but it's a fun place for vacation. isnt it ?

darknemus
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 11:31:49 AM »

South Beach is great if you're into the beach scene.  I prefer my locales dark and foreboding, myself Smiley

Only time you'll catch me at  the beach is at about 2 AM in the morning stargazing or watching sea turtles come to shore to lay their eggs and stuff.

-darknemus

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 11:38:50 AM »

South Beach is great if you're into the beach scene.  I prefer my locales dark and foreboding, myself Smiley

Only time you'll catch me at  the beach is at about 2 AM in the morning stargazing or watching sea turtles come to shore to lay their eggs and stuff.

-darknemus

oh man, well i guess turtles are fun too Smiley

i really wouldnt live in a sea/ocean city

paris / new york is as much water i can deal with in a city

chicago seems cool, what about boston ? the "intellectual" capital of the united states uh uh ?

Annie
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 03:53:45 PM »

Hey,

Recently, my girl and I have been having some serious relocation discussions.? One of the places we're looking at is Chicago, IL.? It seems like a really cool city, lots to do, an actual change of seasons for once in my life (I've lived in Florida since I was born.. trust me, we don't get much of anything like that down here).. and, one of the most important things to me.. a days drive from ALOT of prime vacation destinations in the U.S.

I'd love to hear from anyone that lives there / has lived there who can offer me an opinion on the city.? I'm not worried about work.. trust me, I can work anywhere.? I'm more interested in neighborhood information, interesting tidbits, reasons I should NOT look into Chicago as a relocation point, etc.
Chicago is great! Almost as great as NYC,there is alot of good theater and GNR and Buckethead make tour stops here!It's getting expensive downtown but there are alot of cool neighborhoods in the city, wicker park and Wrigleyville are more affordable tha Lincoln Park. I love the highrises on the lake. Good fashion and shopping! I love it but the winters SUCK! they last 6 months, november til april! Hope this helps! peace
Thanks!

-darknemus

darknemus
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 04:07:19 PM »

Are winters really that bad there?  I've heard varying reports.  Keep in mind, I'm a Florida boy.. although I LOVE cold weather, I've never lived it for an extended period of time.  In addition, I've never actually 'dealt' with snow.  I've seen it fall, I've seen it on the ground, but I've never dealt with it as an actual 'it snowed' kind of thing.

-darknemus

pasnow
VIP

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 04:36:19 PM »

Snow is great.. However driving in it can be difficult. You know how a hockeypuck simply slides across the ice, YES, that can be your car. However you just drive very slow and it's fine. Plus they usually plow the roads as soon as they can. The snow is great when it first falls.. Especially on weekends when I have nothing to do, although it's also nice to get a day off of work (And it always shocks me how people from the south laugh when work & schools close due to snow, they think it's like closing due to too much rain or something) but it's worst when it sticks around for a long time, as it won't melt until it's above freezing. And really it needs to be above 40F to do any significant melting. So instead of bright white pretty snow there is this car exhaust, black tinted, crusty assed chopped up ice cube style snow, messing up your shoes & lower legs of your pants, tracing water & footprints into your place & carpets etc.

As for the cold, it can be a drag, especially coming from FL. Here in Philly it is what I call cold from Thanksgiving until about mid-March. But I enjoy the change, I couldn't stand every day to be above 70. It really makes me appreciate spring & summer that much more. In the winter months you'll probably will stay inside alot more, as when it's 35 outside people normally don't make as many plans as when it's 80. It might depend on your interests, if you ok with computers, music, movies, DVD's TV & watching sports, you'll be ok. If you like outdoor activities like rollerblading, biking, hitting the beach or more outside oriented things cold winters may not be for you.
Annie
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 04:39:45 PM »

They can be bad. We have some periods in Dec and jan with below zero winchills. I hate driving in snow but they do a great job of clearing the main streets as quickly as possible. But the winters are alot less scarey then hurricanes and gators! You get used to the winters, it's just that wearing a coat , hat and scarf in April gets annoying! Cicago is exciting! I lived in Florida for 7 months 8 years ago and i was surprised how much I missed Chicago! beer I would only consider relocating to LA or NYC or Key west after living here!
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 04:49:36 PM »

I can tell you 2 things about Chicago:

1) The White Sox are now more popoular than the cubs.

2) That Chicago is very windy and very cold.
darknemus
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »

Thanks for the info, everyone.  I really appreciate it. A few quick things.

A. I like to walk, swim, bike ride, but that's about the extent of my outdoor activity.  I do lift weights on occasion when I get that 'vibe' going..but I do that indoors, anyway.

B. Like I said, I love cold weather.. it could just be because I'm a big guy - but I've been in 0 degree weather on top of a mountain before (In Vegas, of all places) and was fine with little more than Jeans, a long sleeved sweatshirt, & a leather jacket. 

C. How's the club scene in Chicago?  Specifically, Rock clubs, Alternative, 'Goth' type hangouts, anything a bit outside the ordinary?  Where am I apt to find bands like NIN, Genitorturers, & Rob Zombie playing?  In addition, where am I going to find stuff like Guns?

D. What are the areas to specifically avoid when looking for a place to live?  Any areas that are just, well, bad areas?  Hard to know that about a place unless you've actually lived there, you know?

-darknemus

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 05:14:21 PM »

I've been in 0 degree weather on top of a mountain before (In Vegas, of all places) and was fine with little more than Jeans, a long sleeved sweatshirt, & a leather jacket. 

i admire people like you. really Smiley

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 05:15:49 PM »

I never lived there, but I was in Tech School in Rantoul, IL. A kid in my class was from Chicago so we went up on the weekends alot. It was from October 90 thru January 91. Yes it gets frigging cold and the wind is a blowin'. I'm from NYC and like the cold as well, I just dont like cold + wind and thats what Chicago has alot of. If you are staying in the city, you can hop the train alot.

I work in the same area as you live now, and if I had the chance to get up to Chicago I would start running now.

Chicago does have a pretty good music scene, I remember more Blues oriented places where I went.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 06:33:36 PM »

what about south beach? i liked south beach.  i wouldnt live in miami, but it's a fun place for vacation. isnt it ?

If you ever want to feel ugly, or have your ego deflated, go to south beach.

It's good for a while, but you can only live that type of lifestyle before you need a blood transfusion. It's great to visit.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 06:36:57 PM »

And if you get lost on the way there, you better know the phrase:

Donde esta "South Beach"?

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC