Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:33:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock Am Ring
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 80 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock Am Ring  (Read 170791 times)
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #1460 on: June 03, 2006, 01:02:28 PM »

Review from Norwegian newspaper VG (did my best to translate)
The concert got 3/6, and doesn't seem to concur with the reviews I've read here...

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=118486

Look, he is alive

With a pyro-blast, all of a sudden he stood there again and screamed "Welcome To The Jungle" once more; rock music's most wanted the last years, Axl Rose.

The manic movements across the scene are the same, but maybe not as much as before. Visually, he has, in many ways, grown up. With sungalsses, in colored braids knitted in a tight ponytail. But the sirene-type voice is definetly the same, even though he does not use it as much as before.

It looked promising. "Welcome To The Jungle" is one of the arena-rock's most classic opening, and 70,000 Germans - who patiently waited for the hour-and-a-half delayed concert responded with crazy moshing and crowdsurfing. But then something happens. Ten minutes into the show, we understand that something is wrong with Axl and his band, which also includes their keyboardist Dizzy Reed.

At first we believe something is wrong with the sound - the guys disappears behind the scene, talks to eachother and it seems like they are covering something up. But as the concert progress, the schizofrenia reveals itself in today's edition of Guns N' Roses. Half of the 2 hour, 20 minute long concert vanishes in endless solo parts, especially from the two guitarists. It's like you remain standing and shout quietly: "Slash, come back, please!" when the guitar-masturbation takes itself to bigger heights and becomes effective world-class show-stoppers.

We can not decide if this is a concert or a jam. It does not get better when Axl decides to bring out his pal, Sebastian Bach (Skid Row) on a out-of-tune "My Michelle", while Axl tries his best to ruin Wings' "Live And Let Die", stretch out Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" to the point of boredom, and seem directly uninterested to put the force behind "Sweet Child O' Mine". Then we miss Slash!

Still, there is a glimpse of previous greatness. Axl does a beautiful "November Rain" by the piano, creates arena-goosebumps on "Patience" and finish with a blast (At 0400 in the morning!) with "Paradise City" in a way that does not lag behind the original Guns N' Roses. Too bad it does not occur more often. Axl is definetly alive, but focused is not the word to describe Axl nor his new Guns of 06.

Apparently the same guy gave TOOL a similar treatment and scoring. Knowing this, something tells me this is just another one of those acid-pissing hypocrites.

-PEACE-

Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #1461 on: June 03, 2006, 01:05:59 PM »

Is it me or Axl has just lost his beard ?  hihi
makane
Legend

« Reply #1462 on: June 03, 2006, 01:17:34 PM »

LOL. The darkness just played SCOM intro for like 2 secs, then turned into highway to hell  rofl

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1463 on: June 03, 2006, 01:31:08 PM »

I noticed that too. makane.

It's just you Pingouirose
Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #1464 on: June 03, 2006, 01:38:40 PM »

is it me ppbebe or your girl avatar has a beard  confused
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1465 on: June 03, 2006, 01:54:40 PM »

It seems that no matter what your perspective is, we all agree that this band needs to release new material (single and then album). It seems we all agree that the live shows will improve and the reviews will improve if material is released and then played live. That begs one question....why did they decide to tour 30+ dates without releasing new material and to essentially redo the 2002 tour? I cannot for the life of me think of one good reason. Apparently the music is done and they are just deciding on what songs to put on the 1st album. Surely that could be handled in short form. So why do this without releasing at least a single?

I said when the first dates were announced that this would be a huge joke if they toured again without releasing at least a single. Even hard core Axl lovers like Dave and younggunner said the same thing. Guess what? It is a joke at this point (at least relative to what it could have been). It is a nostalgic act with a cover band replacing legends. That's all this is untill new material reaches the masses (and a few demo leaks that maybe 5,000 people world wide have in=hand doesn't count). It wouldn't be a cover band if an album were released with these musicians playing on it.

I just cannot for the life of me think of why they would tour like this. Unless of course the album is not really done and is not even close to being done (which Axl himself has assured us is done). It's all a bit disappointing really. GNR cannot take over the music scene using songs from 1987.
You are 100% right. The only reason I can see touring at this point is to get Axl back in shape Vocally and Physically for the North American tour. The only way he'll ever be able to get past the stigma of the old band is to release new material. These reviews don't matter anyway. They're just reviewing Axl and the new Guns playing old songs. I can't wait for the new era to start. All we know is he's playing a show in LA in September, so I expect the album will be out by then, if that's when he's starting the North American tour. Only 2 more months of this 2002 rehash and the new era will hopefully be starting.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 03:28:09 PM by Mattattack » Logged
jsg2295
Banned
Headliner

The Album will come.

« Reply #1466 on: June 03, 2006, 02:03:35 PM »

Which of course means two months of bitching about what they are playing on the present tour.
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1467 on: June 03, 2006, 02:29:26 PM »

It seems that no matter what your perspective is, we all agree that this band needs to release new material (single and then album). It seems we all agree that the live shows will improve and the reviews will improve if material is released and then played live. That begs one question....why did they decide to tour 30+ dates without releasing new material and to essentially redo the 2002 tour? I cannot for the life of me think of one good reason. Apparently the music is done and they are just deciding on what songs to put on the 1st album. Surely that could be handled in short form. So why do this without releasing at least a single?

I said when the first dates were announced that this would be a huge joke if they toured again without releasing at least a single. Even hard core Axl lovers like Dave and younggunner said the same thing. Guess what? It is a joke at this point (at least relative to what it could have been). It is a nostalgic act with a cover band replacing legends. That's all this is untill new material reaches the masses (and a few demo leaks that maybe 5,000 people world wide have in=hand doesn't count). It wouldn't be a cover band if an album were released with these musicians playing on it.

I just cannot for the life of me think of why they would tour like this. Unless of course the album is not really done and is not even close to being done (which Axl himself has assured us is done). It's all a bit disappointing really. GNR cannot take over the music scene using songs from 1987.
You are 100% right. The only reason I can see touring at this point is to get Axl back in shape Vocally and Physically for the North American tour. The only way he'll ever be able to get past the stigma of the old band is to release new material. These reviews don't matter anyway. They're just reviewing Axl and the new Guns playing old songs. I can't wait for the era to start. All we know is he's playing a show in LA in September, so I expect the album will be out by then, if that's when he's starting the North American tour. Only 2 more months of this 2002 rehash and the new era will hopefully be starting.

So what happens if in September when they start a North American tour there is no new album out?  At that point it will be beyond rediculous and they need to start billing themselves as a nostalgic act/cover band.  Point being, they have 3.5 months to release a single, film a video, and release the album.  If they tour in the US without the album, it will be pathetic and they will deserve to get hammered by the press.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1468 on: June 03, 2006, 02:34:25 PM »

Which also means that we'll be hearing the same people bitching about as how few classics they play on the coming tour in a few months time.  nervous

is it me ppbebe or your girl avatar has a beard  confused

No worries. Your eyesight is good. Wink

Call me a bimbo or a fashion victim, but beards are in now. And There're 3~4 beardies in my fav band.   Grin
Chief
Legend

« Reply #1469 on: June 03, 2006, 02:59:54 PM »

thanks for the review brownstone, i definitely enjoy reading reviews from fans who were actually there!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1470 on: June 03, 2006, 04:17:51 PM »

Metalica is on the stream now

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
Steel_Angel
« Reply #1471 on: June 03, 2006, 04:28:27 PM »

yer the lead singer looks funny with short hair IMO, and thanks for the review brownstone.
GetInTheJungle
Rocker

Rock Out With Your C**k Out

« Reply #1472 on: June 03, 2006, 04:28:38 PM »

Metalica is on the stream now

When did they start their performance?

12/06/02 Phila
05/14/06 NYC
11/05/06 NJ
11/10/06 NYC MSG
11/17/11 NJ
11/20/11 PA
02/24/12 AC NJ
02/27/12 Phila
11/07/12 Vegas
11/09/12 Vegas
05/13/14 PA
07/14/16 Phila Linc
07/23/16 NY Met
moondance_1
Headliner

« Reply #1473 on: June 03, 2006, 04:32:57 PM »

they started about 30 to 35 minutes ago....

Frankly,My Dear...........
GetInTheJungle
Rocker

« Reply #1474 on: June 03, 2006, 04:35:19 PM »

they started about 30 to 35 minutes ago....

Does anyone know how long they are scheduled to play for?

12/06/02 Phila
05/14/06 NYC
11/05/06 NJ
11/10/06 NYC MSG
11/17/11 NJ
11/20/11 PA
02/24/12 AC NJ
02/27/12 Phila
11/07/12 Vegas
11/09/12 Vegas
05/13/14 PA
07/14/16 Phila Linc
07/23/16 NY Met
god of thunder
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1475 on: June 03, 2006, 04:48:02 PM »

I guess a lot of people would want to know....

- Some people on this forum claimed that GnR Management gave their ok for a stream around 5pm.

- Rockpalast/WDR claimed that they did not get the okay, just for a TV transmission.

- Even when the band was already playing some people claimed to have contacted Merck and he was still pretending that the stream would be on....

Alright....I think many of us wasted hours in front of their computer to see the stream and we were all kind of dissapointed....I guess it would be quite helpful if somebody could enlighten us what happened last night!
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1476 on: June 03, 2006, 04:51:14 PM »

Master Master!!
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #1477 on: June 03, 2006, 04:59:33 PM »

Master...full album in it's entirety to commemorate the 20th anniversary....wow!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #1478 on: June 03, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »

Master...full album in it's entirety to commemorate the 20th anniversary....wow!

nice....how do they sound?

GetInTheJungle
Rocker

« Reply #1479 on: June 03, 2006, 05:03:57 PM »

So far the setlist is good - good selection of older tunes.

I dont care for the newer songs.

12/06/02 Phila
05/14/06 NYC
11/05/06 NJ
11/10/06 NYC MSG
11/17/11 NJ
11/20/11 PA
02/24/12 AC NJ
02/27/12 Phila
11/07/12 Vegas
11/09/12 Vegas
05/13/14 PA