Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Playstation 3 - What's everyone's view?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Playstation 3 - What's everyone's view?  (Read 6765 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »

are they aware of the price ?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 01:17:58 PM »

i totally disagree.the market of the people that buy consoles will totally undertand.
everyone i know is either waiting for the ps3 or will buy it as well as already buying the x box.

We'll see. ?I'm right in the target wheelhouse demographic (almost 32) and there's no way in hell I'll spend $700 (including game and tax) for this system. ?No way. I've bought (or had bought for me) every system I have (NES, Sega MS, SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS, N64, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and 360) within 6 months of release, and usually quicker than that. ?There's no way I'll do that with the PS3 unless the price drops a couple hundred dollars.

And given the loud public outcry that's been documented across the press and the forums, I think there's a LARGE number of people who feel the same way. ?It's just too damn expensive and, until that price comes down to something a little more mass market, their numbers are going to be no where near what their competitors are. ?I'd be worried, if I were them, that I could push through enough units to make "break even" on software. ?They're not offering enough product to charge that kind of premium on it....Blu-Ray or not.

Now, of course, the other option could be that Sony is purposely lowering demand by charging so much, because they know their production is going to be limited. ?It's a way to avoid the 360 launch "shortage" type issues that plagued the console for so long....they couldn't keep up with platinum system demand even at the higher price tag. ?Maybe Sony is figuring they need to charge the extra $200 a system in order to squash some of the demand.....I don't know. ?I HOPE that's the case and SOE is planning a good sized price drop by next years E3. ?'Cause you KNOW that 360 is going to drop their price somewhere around the time Sony releases the PS3, just to steal a bit of their thunder, and certainly by the time the WII comes out.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »

I'll tell you why it's a waste of money - the reason it's so damn expensive is for the Blu-Ray player. That's the reason for the delay, and the reason initial costs put it near $1,000 dollars - and they reduced the size of the hard drive to cut back on costs. The final outcome of PS3 will be proportionate to Xbox 360 in terms of graphics.

Blu-Ray is not going to become the new format of video. I thought it would be at first when reading about it, but then I realized it's being marketed very much like UMDs (which were a major flop) and name-wise it will never be able to compete with HD-DVD. The average consumer isn't going to be able to make the transition to Blu-Ray as easily because when they see HD-DVDs on the shelves (which have boxes that are the same size as normal DVDs, as opposed to Blu-Ray's smaller and ugly boxes) they're going to think, "DVD - that's what I've got." MOST people (read: older people who aren't into technology) aren't going to understand what a Blu-Ray is. Anything that incorporates DVD in its title is going to win. And since HD-DVDs are so similar to normal DVDs in terms of marketing and packaging it will be a much easier transition for people.

Plus, HD-DVD is being supported and pushed by Microsoft and Warner Bros, whereas Blu-Ray's only real supporter is Sony and companies such as Artisen, etc., which are smaller scale.

Plus, GTA5 is coming out on Xbox and PS3 simultaneously this time - and the only reason I was even contemplating holding off for a PS3 was due to GTA being launched on the platform.

Financially I think Sony is fucked because they've had so many delays and production problems that by the time it's released people are all going to have invested in Xboxes, and if the Blu-Rays are a failure and HD-DVD becomes dominant then it's going to render the Blu-Ray drive useless and cost them more money.

i totally disagree.the market of the people that buy consoles will totally undertand.
everyone i know is either waiting for the ps3 or will buy it as well as already buying the x box.

Believe it or not, sales reach beyond die-hard Internet-forum-reading gamers like yourself. There are other markets out there and I have spoken to a lot of gamers who criticize the PS3 for its cost, delays, and Blu-Ray.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 03:07:45 PM »

The $600.00 price tag is a tough cookie to swallow.  I'm gonna wait until all the bugs have been worked out.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 03:39:13 PM »

I think I'm gonna wait a year or two for this one, I'm a video game fan, but not a big enough one to fork out as much as it's goin for. This things usually come out are a mad price for a few months and then dip so I'll probably invest in one then
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 04:27:40 AM »

the XBOX 360 is great..the cell processor is over powered for gameplay for at laeast 5 years...and the price tags and the blu ray discs...nonono...Sonys dropping the ball on tis one...I just bought the XBOX 360...got it chipped...now i can buy games that work for only $4 Cheesy

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 05:20:35 PM »

PS3 - 599.99 (cuz the 499.99 version is shit....)
1 Game - 59.99
-------------------------

658.98 x 1.06 (sales tax) =$ 699.58

--
I'm sorry, I love the PS2 and the PS1 but Sony has lost their mind, there's now way I'm paying that much for a video game system, and I think that this generation war is going to be neck and neck between the 3 systems (360, Wii and PS3) because of Sony's arrogance and stupidty to price their system so high.

Sony's biggest mistake was making Blu-Ray mandatory.  They're forcing this tech. on us when they shouldn't be.  I don't have a TV capable of playing Blu-Ray, and I won't for years... just like most consumers.  There's no way we should have to pay an extra 200 bucks so Sony can force this on us.

Do what Microsoft did.. they put the HD-DVD system seperate, for an extra hundred bucks.

I'll be picking up a Wii and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on November 19th very much and saving a boatload of money.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
Origen
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2006, 05:00:07 AM »

Playstation 3 - What's everyone's view?

There is alot of competition with this generation of consoles. The Xbox 360 is doing very well, the Nintendo Wii although a stupid name will probably do better then the Gamecube. With the prices of the PS3 and Xbox 360 being released months before it,  I don't know how well it'll do in the market compared to the previous two.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 10:13:28 AM »

So, what do you all think about the fact that Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is coming out for the PS3, at launch or shortly thereafter?

Together again,
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2006, 11:42:19 AM »

3 years old so-so game ? yeah. great.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2006, 11:49:43 AM »

3 years old so-so game ? yeah. great.

What???

No, Oblivion is less than 1 year old..came out in March-ish of this year.? Maybe you 're thinking of Morrowind?

Oblivion, to date, is the best selling (and, IMHO, best overall) Xbox 360 game that's been released.? Hardly a "so-so game".

It's not enough to compel me to buy a PS3 (since I already own a 360 and Oblivion), but it's certainly a tough shot at the 360.? The PS3 now has the 360's (debatably) best game, with additional content with somewhat encanced graphics (the draw in is supposedly less severe and the distant landscape is a bit less dramatically different than the near landscape).? I'd say that's a bit of a coup.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 11:51:59 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2006, 11:13:13 PM »

I reserved my PS3 today at a Gamestop.  I'm guarunteed one at launch since they only reserved for their allocation and I'm 3rd on the list.  I haven't decided if I'm gonna sell it or keep it.  I'm 6th on a list at another store, so I'm hoping I can sell my first one for double the cost and use the profit to pay for my other one that I may get at release or a few weeks later.
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2006, 01:15:02 AM »

I'm getting one with the money that I recieve for going to school from the Government  Grin

haha same here
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »

when is it going to be released in europe i heard it that it has been delayed

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: