Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 01:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Playstation 3 - What's everyone's view?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Playstation 3 - What's everyone's view?  (Read 6800 times)
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« on: June 01, 2006, 07:27:58 PM »

It will be released on Nov 11 2006 and Nov 17 2006 in Japan and North America, Europe, Australia respectively

Will cost $499 for the less-equipped model with a 20-gb HD and $599 [?425] for the better-equipped model with a 60-gb HD.

What's everyones view on it?

The redesigned controller now has gyroscopic functionality and is wireless, with a USB port in the top to link it to the PS3 to recharge the batteries. The disc-drive is the Blu-Ray drive which is the reason for the extortionate cost.

axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:36:38 PM »

I've always stuck by Sony....I can't wait...the price sucks though...but I don't know, to me SOny is like Gn'R, I'll stick by them no matter what Smiley

Axl is God.
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:37:59 PM »

I'll tell you why it's a waste of money - the reason it's so damn expensive is for the Blu-Ray player. That's the reason for the delay, and the reason initial costs put it near $1,000 dollars - and they reduced the size of the hard drive to cut back on costs. The final outcome of PS3 will be proportionate to Xbox 360 in terms of graphics.

Blu-Ray is not going to become the new format of video. I thought it would be at first when reading about it, but then I realized it's being marketed very much like UMDs (which were a major flop) and name-wise it will never be able to compete with HD-DVD. The average consumer isn't going to be able to make the transition to Blu-Ray as easily because when they see HD-DVDs on the shelves (which have boxes that are the same size as normal DVDs, as opposed to Blu-Ray's smaller and ugly boxes) they're going to think, "DVD - that's what I've got." MOST people (read: older people who aren't into technology) aren't going to understand what a Blu-Ray is. Anything that incorporates DVD in its title is going to win. And since HD-DVDs are so similar to normal DVDs in terms of marketing and packaging it will be a much easier transition for people.

Plus, HD-DVD is being supported and pushed by Microsoft and Warner Bros, whereas Blu-Ray's only real supporter is Sony and companies such as Artisen, etc., which are smaller scale.

Plus, GTA5 is coming out on Xbox and PS3 simultaneously this time - and the only reason I was even contemplating holding off for a PS3 was due to GTA being launched on the platform.

Financially I think Sony is fucked because they've had so many delays and production problems that by the time it's released people are all going to have invested in Xboxes, and if the Blu-Rays are a failure and HD-DVD becomes dominant then it's going to render the Blu-Ray drive useless and cost them more money.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 07:39:43 PM by I'mFromMyGNR » Logged
lul
Headliner

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:50:54 PM »

everyone has to have one..  peace

Time is wasted when you are wasted all the time
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 08:20:42 AM »

I have pretty much every game console (non-portable) known to man....

I bought a 360 for Oblivion about 6 months after release, and didn't mind paying the $399 for the platinum version of the console.

I won't pay $599 for the PS3.  No way, no how.  It's just too expensive.  So, I'll wait a year or two until Sony realizes that their sell through is going to be outrageously pathetic until they can hit something closer to a mass market price.

Given the fact the E3 showing of PS3 games pretty much put the graphics on par with the 360's games, and given the inordinate price.....Just not worth it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
anythinggoes
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 09:26:08 AM »

well ive popped into game to register myself so i can put down a deposit when its comes time to do so the guy told me ?425 with a 60gb harddrive but europe wont be getting the 20gb version?Huh dont know if thats correct though

looks like ill be playing one on day of release might buy two and sell one a friend of mine did it with xbox360 and basically got his for ?100 not bad
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 10:01:51 AM »

yeah ... i'm gonna continue pushing on buttons on a old school pad like some LOOSER ! when i can swing my arms around with my Wii Wii super cool controlers !!!

yeah right. like i'm gonna a looser with a playstation !!

ps3 sucks why ?

01 ) it sucks
10 ) it blows

CAFC Nick
VIP

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 10:09:59 AM »

I'm getting one with the money that I recieve for going to school from the Government? Grin
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »

Excellent 600th post dude! ok

I'll probably get one when the price goes down, but i'm getting a Wii first
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 10:29:05 AM »

I will eventually get one when the price goes way down? ?425??? My dad aint ever gonna pay that money for a Console. Probably get one from Pakistan for cheaper.

I dont get the advantage of a USB with the controller. Whats the advantage?

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
CAFC Nick
VIP

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 10:37:19 AM »

I will eventually get one when the price goes way down? ?425??? My dad aint ever gonna pay that money for a Console. Probably get one from Pakistan for cheaper.

Well the controller is wireless which consumes battery power. The USB connection is so you can plug the controllers into the PS3 to charge up their batteries, unlike the Xbox360 for which you have to continuously buy 2 new AA batteries for each controller every time they run out.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 10:48:01 AM »

yeah ... i'm gonna continue pushing on buttons on a old school pad like some LOOSER ! when i can swing my arms around with my Wii Wii super cool controlers !!!

ps3 sucks why ?

01 ) it sucks
10 ) it blows

Actually, that Wii controller is why I will never, ever buy a Wii.

I could never play with people actually IN the room.  I'd end up killing someone.

It's a good idea, but it's completely impractical for 75% of the world.  Saw it "in action" during E3, hoping that the required range of motion would be small enough to actually be useful.  From the looks of things....it's not.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 10:52:07 AM »

Well the controller is wireless which consumes battery power. The USB connection is so you can plug the controllers into the PS3 to charge up their batteries, unlike the Xbox360 for which you have to continuously buy 2 new AA batteries for each controller every time they run out.

Or spring for $20 or $30 for the rechargable battery pack and charger...which does the exact same thing the PS3 controller makes you do...plug it into a USB slot to charge.

Together again,
CAFC Nick
VIP

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »

Or spring for $20 or $30 for the rechargable battery pack and charger...which does the exact same thing the PS3 controller makes you do...plug it into a USB slot to charge.

But the PS3 one means it already comes with rechargeable features straight from the box unlike having to spend yet more money on a controller which doesn't run out of charge every few hours.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 11:32:56 AM »

But the PS3 one means it already comes with rechargeable features straight from the box unlike having to spend yet more money on a controller which doesn't run out of charge every few hours.

Sure, but you're paying at least $200 more for the PS3 box, so.....they're just rolling the extra cost into the standard package.? You're not actually "spending yet more money" on the 360..you're just spending it up front on the PS3, rather than having a choice to buy it or not with the 360.

Hell, I've seen X-box "bundles" that include a game  (PGR3), the charger pack, the premium edition 360, and an extra controller for $499 (at BJ's Wholesale). Even that's $100 bucks cheaper AND you get an extra wireless controller AND a game.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 11:35:29 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 11:45:20 AM »

ps3 sucks why ?

01 ) it sucks
10 ) it blows

Actually, that Wii controller is why I will never, ever buy a Wii.

I could never play with people actually IN the room.  I'd end up killing someone.

It's a good idea, but it's completely impractical for 75% of the world.  Saw it "in action" during E3, hoping that the required range of motion would be small enough to actually be useful.  From the looks of things....it's not.

nah
i've seen many footages
i used the controller back in september, then january and ... it works
both wide movements, and smaller ones.
works great. and it was like earlt alpha version, i'm sure the e3 version is perfect now

anyway.
if a game's good , it will be good no matter on what system
but then the PS3 price ... come on.

unoturbo
The Little engineer that could
VIP

With 5 million I could do what You spend 50mil on

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 12:08:38 PM »

I thought the PS3 would wipe the floor with the competition from the off but it's going to be held back initially at those prices: you can get an X-Box 360 and Wii for the same price as one PS3! The Wii especially has surprised me by how strong it looks and the controller may solve the only real thing wrong with consoles - you can't play first person shooty games on them for shit.

However, considering the fact that 90% of people are fucking idiots, the PS3 will probably dominate eventually. A hell of a lot of people are loyal to brands no matter what, which is insane, and parents that don't know any better are going to be pursuaded by the Sony name too. Sony is basically gambling its future that this console will be a success and so it will do everything it can to gain market share. The only unknown is the Blu Ray drive, if the format fails Sony will be left to produce very limited numbers of disks which will increase the cost of games considerably.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people
who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 12:39:26 PM »

nintendo rules!

whats new in PS that does NOT involve graphics? nothing, well, the loading the controller thing, way to go Sony! way to go...

while Sony did that, Nintendo revolutionized the whole controller.... fun..

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 12:49:10 PM »

I thought the PS3 would wipe the floor with the competition from the off but it's going to be held back initially at those prices: you can get an X-Box 360 and Wii for the same price as one PS3! The Wii especially has surprised me by how strong it looks and the controller may solve the only real thing wrong with consoles - you can't play first person shooty games on them for shit.

However, considering the fact that 90% of people are fucking idiots, the PS3 will probably dominate eventually. A hell of a lot of people are loyal to brands no matter what, which is insane, and parents that don't know any better are going to be pursuaded by the Sony name too. Sony is basically gambling its future that this console will be a success and so it will do everything it can to gain market share. The only unknown is the Blu Ray drive, if the format fails Sony will be left to produce very limited numbers of disks which will increase the cost of games considerably.

people are idiots to some point. when it's expensive. it's expensive ...
the ipod trend really started when the prices started to look normal.

BA
Linkin Park's worst nightmare
VIP

g,n,f'n,r's!!**

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 01:06:32 PM »

I'll tell you why it's a waste of money - the reason it's so damn expensive is for the Blu-Ray player. That's the reason for the delay, and the reason initial costs put it near $1,000 dollars - and they reduced the size of the hard drive to cut back on costs. The final outcome of PS3 will be proportionate to Xbox 360 in terms of graphics.

Blu-Ray is not going to become the new format of video. I thought it would be at first when reading about it, but then I realized it's being marketed very much like UMDs (which were a major flop) and name-wise it will never be able to compete with HD-DVD. The average consumer isn't going to be able to make the transition to Blu-Ray as easily because when they see HD-DVDs on the shelves (which have boxes that are the same size as normal DVDs, as opposed to Blu-Ray's smaller and ugly boxes) they're going to think, "DVD - that's what I've got." MOST people (read: older people who aren't into technology) aren't going to understand what a Blu-Ray is. Anything that incorporates DVD in its title is going to win. And since HD-DVDs are so similar to normal DVDs in terms of marketing and packaging it will be a much easier transition for people.

Plus, HD-DVD is being supported and pushed by Microsoft and Warner Bros, whereas Blu-Ray's only real supporter is Sony and companies such as Artisen, etc., which are smaller scale.

Plus, GTA5 is coming out on Xbox and PS3 simultaneously this time - and the only reason I was even contemplating holding off for a PS3 was due to GTA being launched on the platform.

Financially I think Sony is fucked because they've had so many delays and production problems that by the time it's released people are all going to have invested in Xboxes, and if the Blu-Rays are a failure and HD-DVD becomes dominant then it's going to render the Blu-Ray drive useless and cost them more money.

i totally disagree.the market of the people that buy consoles will totally undertand.
everyone i know is either waiting for the ps3 or will buy it as well as already buying the x box.

i want to show you something,like joy inside my heart.seems i been living in the temple of the dog.where would i live if i were a man of goldenwords or would i live at all
word and music-my only tool
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: