Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:50:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  theory on why axl wont play more illusion songs
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: theory on why axl wont play more illusion songs  (Read 7078 times)
IRS
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:22 PM »

i'm thrilled that they now play don't cry! Grin
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »

Well, they don't exactly play Don't Cry. So far it's just been Bumblefoot playing it in his solo and the crowd sining w/o the rest of the band joining in. I don't think it'll be long though until they all join in at one of these shows and we get out first Don't Cry performance since what? 1993?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »

Well, they don't exactly play Don't Cry. So far it's just been Bumblefoot playing it in his solo and the crowd sining w/o the rest of the band joining in. I don't think it'll be long though until they all join in at one of these shows and we get out first Don't Cry performance since what? 1993?

Yeah, I think they're building toward that, too.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 12:14:03 PM »

I agree!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
beerman
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 12:17:15 PM »

I am sure he plays what he enjoys singing and what the band plays best. I would hope as the tour get's longer they will add some more UYI stuff and in between the European and US tours rehearse some of the UYI stuff.

5/91 AlpineValley
4/92 RosemontHorizon
1/01 HOB Vegas
11/02 AllstateArena
11/06 AllstateArena
11/11 AllstateArena
2/12 HOB Chicago
4/16 T-Mobile Vegas
7/16 SoldierField
11/17 UnitedCenter
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 12:19:17 PM »

"theory on why axl wont play more illusion songs"

Maybe because the set is already 2 hours long?

kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 12:52:47 PM »

maybe he doesnt play them coz he doesnt want to
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »

maybe he doesnt play them coz he doesnt want to

Now there's a revolutionary thought!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
fishyguy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 06:38:22 PM »

Isnt it blatantly obvious why.

This tour before the release of CD is mostly AFD and after the album is released when they tour again to promote it they'll play more stuff from UYI.

I mean they only have like 3 records to play from.

I bet the Don't cry thing was just a tease hatched up by Axl although, Ron only extended it after fan requests so you never know.

Its funny one of the biggest band of all time only has 3 albums to play material from their 20 year history.

They dont play anything from Lies except "patience"

I would love it if they would add:

Yesterday
Estranged (the song that got me into GNR)
Civil War
Don't Cry

I would prefer they drop:

you could be mine
live and let die
Out to get me
Its so easy
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 06:40:24 PM »

i would like so much to hear Guns N Roses play COMA!!  ok  yes

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
littleredcorvette
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 06:29:14 AM »

For Chrissakes, there's no need for conspiracy theories. Just go and read Axl's press release from just before the 2002 tour. The reasons for the setlist being as it is at these pre-album-release shows are the same now as they were then:

1. To get the new band to feel at home playing the core Old Guns songs i.e. Appetite and the better known Lies/Illusion tracks.
2. To try and get Old Guns fans and sceptics to warm to the new band.

It makes perfect sense for fuck's sake. With 5 or 6 new songs in the set already since 2001, there is no point having even more 'downtime' in the shows and alienating a lot of casual fans by playing 'Locomotive', 'Breakdown' etc etc

They are still in warm-up mode. This tour is serving pretty much the same purpose the original Euro tour did in 2002. The band has played fuck all shows as this band compared to other bands who play to 250,000 people. They are still finding their feet, they still make mistakes on the set songs they are doing. What the fuck would be the point in doing a set aimed at us hardcore fans.

Sure, I'd LOVE it if they spent 3 weeks rehearsing for an intimate club show with a setlist full of rare gems like Coma and Locomotive and then put the soundboard out on the net for us.

But this tour is not about doing what's best for us in the short term, it's about building the fucking band back up. So stop worrying about song-writing credtis and Axl not playing Slash or Izzy songs. Rocket Queen is a fucking Izzy song, Slash wrote the riff for Sweet Child, Ron Thal copies Slash's solo exactly at the end of November Rain. It's not about anything like that.

There would be no sense or logic in introducing more Illusion material at this point. It will be a fucking treat to hear those songs introduced over the next year(s) but right now they're having enough trouble playing their own fucking new songs live, let alone trying to get to grips with bloody Coma. Man.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 06:52:23 AM »

For Chrissakes, there's no need for conspiracy theories. Just go and read Axl's press release from just before the 2002 tour. The reasons for the setlist being as it is at these pre-album-release shows are the same now as they were then:

1. To get the new band to feel at home playing the core Old Guns songs i.e. Appetite and the better known Lies/Illusion tracks.

I never got to read any press release from the 2002 tour and I didn't know they had one that said anything like that. Do you happen to have a link to that?

littleredcorvette
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 02:14:34 PM »

I never got to read any press release from the 2002 tour and I didn't know they had one that said anything like that. Do you happen to have a link to that?

Here's the press release
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=82

You might wanna flick through the articles section for the last half decade cause you may have missed some good stuff. This press release doesn't have the specific bits I was thinking off with Axl commenting on the sets. I have a feeling that might be from one of the US radio interviews in '02.
CDesigner
Headliner

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 06:27:10 PM »

here's another thought along the same lines: what if part of the original rift between axl and izzy was over the lyrics to don't cry? i always thought it was odd that 2 versions of the song were included on UYI and from axl's comments on trunk, i could possibly see the quibble over the two sets of lyrics being a point of contention between the former best friends. maybe refraining from playing it (at least with singing) is an attempt by axl to mend fences with izzy?
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 07:31:57 PM »

Here's the press release

You might wanna flick through the articles section for the last half decade cause you may have missed some good stuff. This press release doesn't have the specific bits I was thinking off with Axl commenting on the sets. I have a feeling that might be from one of the US radio interviews in '02.

WOW you're not kidding. You're right, the exact stuff you referenced wasn't in there but it sure was a very good read. I completely missed that thing through the years. Thanks for the link!

littleredcorvette
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 07:51:29 PM »

Here's the press release

WOW you're not kidding. You're right, the exact stuff you referenced wasn't in there but it sure was a very good read. I completely missed that thing through the years. Thanks for the link!

No problem. It's a shame there isn't a 100% comprehensive archive of New GnR info. Jarmo's got all the main stuff and a lot of other things too but there are a lot more things like interviews with Tommy from his solo tours, of which there are absolutely loads on radio and in print with little GnR details peppered throughout. Plus there have been god knows how many bits of info from various people affiliated with the project plus people like Dizzy's aunt and wife, emails from the band to fans and other random things.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 08:37:12 PM »

Keep in mind, not all of the old stuff fit this new variation of GNR.

Songs like 'Move To The City', great song, loved it during the UYI tour, but I don't think that particular song fits the current band. Neither does more rawer & acoustic-based songs like 'Used To Love Her' & 'You're Crazy' from LIES. I thought it was shocking they did an impromtu acoustic set at The Plumm, 'cause I just don't see this current band was a acoustic 'old skool' rock band. They right now are trying to be more current.

Issues over 'Don't Cry', are understandable, but I heard Axl wouldn't ever sing that one again out of respect for Shannon Hoon's memory. It may be the Izzy strife, who knows. Songs like 'Right Next Door To Hell', 'Dust N' Bones', 'Perfect Crime', 'Back Off Bitch' (only played once or twice anyways), 'Bad Apples', 'Coma' (only played a few times), '14 Years', 'Shotgun Blues' (only played once or twice anyways), 'Breakdown', and 'Locomotive' were rarities even back in the UYI days, that primarily only showed up during the '91 leg. 'The Garden', 'Garden of Eden', 'Don't Damn Me', & 'Dead Horse' didn't show up until '93, and still they were rare. 'So Fine' isn't played because that was primarily a 'Duff-heavy' song.

But other songs like, 'Double Talkin Jive', 'Civil War', 'Yesterdays', 'Pretty Tied Up', and 'Estranged', there's no reason to not see those songs. I wish Axl would drop at least 3 from AFD, and add 3 from UYI.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2006, 09:19:29 PM »

they should really play civil war, but if they start playing more illusion stuff, then the arguement would start saying why are they just playing more old stuff instead of new songs

kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2006, 09:57:40 AM »

coz he doesnt want to.
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2006, 10:30:44 AM »

To tell you the truth,I don't want to hear anymore Illusions stuff.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: