Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dutch guns/rio article
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dutch guns/rio article  (Read 3411 times)
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« on: May 30, 2006, 08:22:42 AM »

from a newspaper called Sp!ts

Here's a rough translation: (please don't pay attention to the typo's Wink )

Axl rose proves slash right, although not intentionally

Guns N'Roses Are finally making
a serious comeback. Well Not really
Guns N'roses...Singer Axl Rose and his
collection of session musicians are
starting their Europe tour.

"How many of you motherfuckers tought we wouldn't show up?" asked Axl rose the Portugese Fans.
We are at Rock in Rio The european version of the Festival with the same name in Brazil.
Guns N'Roses are going to be the closing act for the saturday in the beatifull Parque da Bela Vista.
Axl did not only show up (wether he shows up or not is always a surprise)but he Rocked, well atleast for some parts of the show he did, and for some other parts he didn't. No matter how good the three new guitarists are they'll never be able to replace slash.

The charismatic duo Axl/slash were once the face of one of the biggest rockbands in the world but somewhere after the release of Use your illusion I & II it all went wrong.
Slash wanted to stay true to Blues based rock while Axl wanted a more industrial sound. the band fell apart.
While slash and the others were staying active with other bands Axl dissapeared from the public eye.

He's since been working on His forthcoming album "Chinese Democracy" with his ever changing line up of musicians.
Chinese Democracy is supossed to finally come out this fall but a release date has been pushed back so many times that this really isn't reliable anymore.

A previous attempt at a comeback(2002) failed miserably, shows were cancelled, riots broke out. his status as a rock icon was no more. Axl was slowly turning in to the laughing stock of the whole rock scene.
However the show in Lisboa was no laughing matter Axl gave a descent show nothing earthshattering but just a good show. During the show Axl looked a bit insecure and nervous, he's really lacking his old arrogant appearance.
Axl -44- may have aged a few years but he still runs around like never before and he also hasn't lost his scream however at some parts during Sweet child o'mine he seems to run out of breath.

Axl running out of breath took the momentum out of the show, the same goes for the great but unnecessary solos.
A few songs of the forthcoming album were played but the crowd weren't really affected by it. The crowd only started to go wild when the old songs were played like; Welcome to the jungle, you could be mine and ofcourse the inevitable ballad November Rain. although the songs were played by a group of no name hired musicians they all sounded great.
The thing proven by this show is that Guns N'roses their real power lies in blues based rock and not in Axl's new songs thus meaning slash was right.

A reunion of Axl/Slash isn't going to happen anytime soon not only because of Musical differences but also personal conflicts between the two and serveral lawsuits are making sure a reunion won't happen.

The real Guns N'roses will probably never reclaim their throne but to be fair, Axl is planning a serious comeback this time round and we'll all just have to settle for that.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:25:22 AM by Grouse » Logged
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:29:12 AM »

decent review, except for this
The thing proven by this show is that Guns N'roses their real power lies in blues based rock and not in Axl's new songs thus meaning slash was right.
part. the new songs rock. the fact, that the crowd didn?t go wild to some songs they never even heard before proves nothig.....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 08:34:55 AM »

Wow - coulda written that myself. Spot on! I think Guns fans better get used to this sort of thing. I find it interesting that Axl seems so aware of all the criticism about his tardiness, no shows, feud with Slash etc yet never takes any positive steps to rectify any of it.  no
Schwarzgold
VIP

KAWUGI!

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 08:36:20 AM »

And except the fact, that the mic caused the problems in SCOM.

Restraint is for suckers.
badapple81
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 08:37:47 AM »

Ive heard and seen the clips and Axl was at the top of his game. His voice was great.

It's a shame when kinda settling down and not being angry all the time gets you criticism by fans and the media for not being angry or 'arrogant' as they put it.
TheMole
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 08:39:06 AM »

although the songs were played by a group of no name hired musicians they all sounded great.

That's a bit of an overstatement. They might not be as well known as the old guys once were, but calling them no-names isn't really correct either.
The rest of the article seems fair enough, I think (although they're being too nice about Axl's voice, it really wasn't one of his best performances recently).
estranged.1098
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 08:44:32 AM »

Axl didn't lose his breath in SCOM

The musicians in the band actually have names

The crowd's reaction to the new, unreleased and never heard before songs is perfectly normal and proves nothing

Axl wanted to make a Slash record after UYI, other ideas were brought to the table only after Slash left
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 08:45:02 AM »

although the songs were played by a group of no name hired musicians they all sounded great.

That's a bit of an overstatement. They might not be as well known as the old guys once were, but calling them no-names isn't really correct either.
The rest of the article seems fair enough, I think (although they're being too nice about Axl's voice, it really wasn't one of his best performances recently).

That was a part of the article that wasn't easy to find the right words for so I used "No name..." I should've used something like anonymous, Because when I read it "No name" is quite harsh
TheMole
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 08:46:32 AM »

That was a part of the article that wasn't easy to find the right words for so I used "No name..." I should've used something like anonymous, Because when I read it "No name" is quite harsh
What was the line in Dutch?
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 08:48:48 AM »

What was the line in Dutch?

"al is het dan een stelletje anonieme huurlingen"
TheMole
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 08:55:37 AM »

Hehehe, nice wording in the original. Smiley
Okay, I guess 'a bunch of anonymous hired hands' is indeed not as harsh as 'a bunch of no names', but nonetheless... I don't think you can call the drummer of Primus 'anonymous', I don't think you can call the guitarist of NiN 'anonymous' (and so on, and so on...), so I still don't like that part of the article Wink.
makane
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 09:10:43 AM »

I think 80% here agree on that article, though there were some minor inaccuraties.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

I have to agree with that....a lack of blues has been the main problem in rock (and music in general) since the 80's.

when will bands stop trying to avoid blues-based rock? ?when will they learn that blues-based melodies will always outlast grunge, industrial, techno, etc.

after hearing "the blues" and it's old-school gnr sound, i thought axl would bring back "real" rock n roll...

but the rest of the new songs fall mostly into the industrial/techno category.

i have a feeling the new stuff will just dissappoint me....just like velvet revolver.

it seems that whenever a new band comes along and shows the potential to revive gnr's brand of hard, blues-based rock, they always fall short and end up sounding more like grunge or industrial than anything else.

Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 10:16:09 AM »

The article was spot on.  Agree 100% with everything the guy wrote.
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 10:23:38 AM »

Oh no! The crowd didnt sing along to some unreleased music - time to abandon CD.
Death Cube K
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 10:38:30 AM »

He's since been working on His forthcoming album "Chinese Democracy" with his ever changing line up of musicians.

Yeah, that is sooooo right.

I mean, Tommy Stinson for 8 years, Robin Finck for like 7 years, Dizzy since 91 or something, Brain since 2000, Fortus only a whopping 4 years in the band...

I mean, that is soooo changing...
godiva
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 02:05:37 PM »

Hey grouse,

Thanks for translating and posting  ok

I agree with others saying that it is not fair to bash CD just because the audience isn't cheering for songs they may never have heard before. Remember: it was RIR, lots of people there who haven't followed the band and didn't download the songs. I am more enthusiastic if I can sing along to songs. It doesn't mean that Axl was wrong persuing a different type of sound. I think it would be wrong to try to duplicate AFD over and over again. I'm happy he's trying new things (okay, I could have done without My World and Silkworms  Grin).
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 02:17:14 PM »

In a previous post, I linked a couple of reviews back to the Illusions tour, before the albums came out.  The audience basically reacted the same way they do now, when they don't know the songs.
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 02:41:23 PM »

IT was a decent critic, I agree in almost everything.
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 03:05:12 PM »

WEll that was a pretty terrible review.  Axl, all in all, is getting pretty bad press. 
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: