Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 06:48:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rio is getting GREAT REVIEWS!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rio is getting GREAT REVIEWS!  (Read 30273 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2006, 12:44:18 PM »

it wasnt nearly equal to any UYI show
So you're saying Japan 92 was better? Man, see a doctor or something.
hihi
Obviously some fans are so blind to the old band and yet try to lead the blind and others.

this is not a "lets try to look like 1987" contest.
If it was, it would make indeed a great freak show, in a bad sense. hihi

Me too miss BH's crisp, sunny sounds and his presence.
Nevertheless every second of RIR show rocked hard.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2006, 12:59:50 PM »

lol as I think I was the only one posting a review on the GNR on Tour section ill post it here too... hihi

I?m writing this without reading any topics or posts about RiR as I want just express myself, my opion based on what I?ve seen and felt yesterday? This sure will get big so feel free to print LOL kidding...

I had a great time yesterday. I was so anxious about the show, I had been waiting for it for months? I was so fucking nervous as time passed? I thought we were going to wait for hours like in Spain, but they ended up being just 30 minutes late? What is pretty good indeed. And then, finally, we started hearing Welcome to the Jungle? and so started a fucking great show, which I won?t forget in the near future.

There were many people there, more than I was expecting? (many GN?R fans and people that just liked the songs, the normal) I loved it, I enjoyed it at my full, but I dunno if most of people who were there did too. I often looked around and when people really looked as they were enjoying it was when the old songs were being played. People were not too excited about the new ones, and to be honest I wasn?t too? And this led me to think about something? GN?R will NEVER be the same?The more I looked at the band, the more I thought of the old one? I never wished so much to have lived in the late 80s and early 90s so I could have felt the real GN?R? I envy so much those of u who have?

I was very close to the stage, I was in the left and Axl was always running there?so I could really glanced at him which on one hand was pretty cool (damn! my brother forgot the camera, I could have taken some great pics... oh well), and on the other hand made me think that... he was old (lol this might be too stupid, but I had to look at him very close to get that conclusion), it?s not the same Axl? I mean he was really energetic, he ran a lot, did the serpentine, all of that, but I can?t explain why but I felt that something was missing there? not his voice however? cos his voice was just BRILLIANT? he sang all the songs perfectly, maybe not so well the new ones, but I really loved his voice? I got the feeling that you, who saw it on TV didn?t feel that way? but I can assure you that he sang too fucking well?better than in the 90s... well but if I could choose, and I think it?s the same for you, I would prefer a Axl who didn?t sing a thing but with the whole band, the real GN?R... as I said before, GN?R will never be the same again... it
doesn?t even matter if they release an album or not, people will always go see these Guns to hear the old hits... that?s what brings people to see the GN?R... and when I mean people, I mean the ordinary ones, not the fans like us, even though I think many fans feel the same way... I mean, if it had been Velvet Revolver in place of these new Guns, I wouldn?t have gone to see them... and why? Cos they wouldn?t play the GN?R hits... yeah... it?s really confusing but even loving Slash and Duff, I wouldn?t go see VR cos they?re not GN?R.... it would have been the same if Axl had made a band of his own...

So, when yesterday I saw GN?R, I felt that something was missing there, and that something obviously is Slash and Duff... oh well, very confusing isn?t it? It?s so sad when you think that GN?R would be soo huge if they were still together... I dunno if I would prefer to have that GN?R were not anymore and keep the old memories... but then... we could not hear our favourite songs live... I don?t think if as I have read here somewhere, Axl will be the one laughing last... cos even if he releases the album... if this tour keeps going great, there will ALWAYS be the ghosts of the old members and the old days... on the other hand, I think Slash and Duff and even Matt may feel great to see that they are really missed there, that they were so important...

I really feel bad about the new members... they were really great last night, Robin and Bumblefoot rocked, I loved their solos... and Richard is just great... but again, we gotta think that it?s really sad that they need three guitarists to do what Slash did all on his own, or maybe with the help of Izzy, yes. Like, in November Rain, they were all switching bettween them in the solos, while Slash would do it on his own, without any problems... People will never admire this new members and they once did with the old ones... What is really bad, cos we can see that this guys are really great, and are so excited when playing the new songs, as they were last night with Better and the blues... But this songs, if the album is released, will never be as great as the old ones., they will not have that magic thing upon them.. and people will always talk about the old ones, as I keep saying. It must be pretty hard for them, I so admire those guys...

Well, but switching to the show again, it was a damn good show, I loved Rocket Queen and You could be mine, they were the best in my opinion... However, I was thinking that this RiR gig would be more special... I thought that Axl, as he did in RiR 3, would be more talkative to the people, that would say anything about the album, or even talk about the past, you know... that would be very cool. but instead, for the little he talked to us, he said almost the same things as he did in Spain and in NYC... he asked us if we were into downloading, and then we said yes and he called us motherfuckers... u know, as he did in NYC... then, he did the James Brown thing, wich I didn?t like anyway (as well as the Richard and Robin Beautiful solos, which I thought were fucking lame? and a bit of Don?t Cry in the solo by Mr.Bumblefoot which put people singing just like in Spain- argh why didn?t they just play it??? ) as he did in Spain... I mean, he didn?t do anything special, he did this show as just a tour show, and I was so not expecting this as this would be by far, the most important show of the tour, being aired in so many coutries... but maybe, as my brother says, he just doesn?t care. But this is not all... I did get the impression that he even sang less songs than in Spain (like Madagascar, My Michele and There Was a Time - the only new music I really liked... I was so sad that they didn?t play it)... but I?m not sure about it as I wasn?t in Spain... I really thought they would do a 3 hours show, that they would play more songs, maybe from the Illusions... but no, nothing like that happened, and yes I was a bit dissapointed about that....

Just to finish this big review (soz guys ), I left as it finished, happy... even being a bit dissapointed and felling that something was missing there (as I said above) I think Axl and the boys did a great show, played the songs very well so I don?t have major reasons to complain... This is what we have now, and as GN?R fans, we gotta be happy that Axl is still doing this shows, so we can have a little about what were the old, magic, fantastic days!

SETLIST (as I recall, not the same order)

WTTJ
It?s so easy
Mr. Brownstone
Live and Let Die
Nightrain
Rocket Queen
Sweet Child O?Mine
November Rain
The Blues
Better
IRS
Knocking on Heaven?s Door
Patience
You Could be Mine
Outta get me
Paradise City

EDIT: I?ve just seen the concert on TV, I taped it and it?s really sad to see how bad it is... No wonder people saying the concert was bad, the sound is so terrible, oh god... and it was so damn good live!! Cry
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:21:59 PM by Ines » Logged

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2006, 01:05:20 PM »

I did get the impression that he even sang less songs than in Spain (like Madagascar, My Michele and There Was a Time - the only new music I really liked... I was so sad that they didn?t play it)... but I?m not sure about it as I wasn?t in Spain...

Yeah, the show in Spain was longer. Mas foi culpa da produ??o do Rock in Rio e n?o da banda.
Eu queria ouvir My Michelle e TWAT? Sad

All in all, Rock in Rio Lisbon was good..............
...except that it was in Lisbon.

Good review, thanks.
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2006, 01:11:55 PM »

nice review, Ines, thanx for posting.  ok
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2006, 01:12:14 PM »

In spain they also played Twat, Madagascar, Chinese democracy and My Michelle

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2006, 01:13:31 PM »

People have been saying that they had to end it early. They were planning on playing Chinese Democracy and Madagascar as part of the encore. If thats true, its unfortuanate, as I really wanted to hear those songs played.
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2006, 01:14:58 PM »

To the people who complain about it being the same setlist... keep in mind, bands don't do live shows for the people who sit around and download every live show they do. It's for the live crowd on that particular night. They pay to hear the old songs.
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2006, 01:17:22 PM »

I'm not complaining, the show was great. But they do usually play those songs, so there must have been a reason for not playing them is all I'm saying.
dk
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »

The reviews given by people that were there seem to be good. ?There are only a few individuals that cant get over the mix and cant believe that the setlist was not desined for them that keep adding bad reviews.

No the show was not the best ever, but for casual fans, the performance and setlist was right on. ?ok
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2006, 01:35:53 PM »

for casual fans, the performance and setlist was right on.

And unfortunately Axl is catering to the casual fans now instead of the hardcore fans.  Probably a smart move in terms of maximizing ticket sale profits.  Probably a bad move in terms of the health of nuGNR.  Time to release an album...otyherwise the longer this tour goes on without a release or a single release, the bigger problem this is going to become.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2006, 01:40:27 PM »

To the people who complain about it being the same setlist... keep in mind, bands don't do live shows for the people who sit around and download every live show they do. It's for the live crowd on that particular night. They pay to hear the old songs.

Great post and a lot of people need to realize this. ?I think it would be funny if Axl pulled a Bob Dylan and showed up for a show and just played all obscure shit. ?

Setlist for the next show
1. Crash Diet
2. Just Another Sunday
3. Silkworkms
4. Anything Goes
5. Shadow Of Your Love
6. Sympathy For The Devil
7. Bring It Back Home
8. Heartbreak Hotel
9. Ain't Going Down

Encore: ?My World.

The people in attendance would just be like ?nervous ?, BUT all the internet bootleggers would be like WHOA I got a live version of Ain't Going Down recorded from a cellphone in the parking lot of the venue.....totally amazing, you can almost hear audible music in it!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2006, 01:42:41 PM »

I'm wondering if some folks here were listening and watching the same show I saw. ?Here are some truths:

WTTJ, YCBM, KOHD, Night Train, NR, OTGM were awesome. ?Amazing stuff. ?The best I've heard since the early '90's.

The IRS we heard on the aol feed was bad, with Axl sounding really bad. ?The intro. of Better was not the sound we've been used to on the demo....however, as it went on, Axl and the guys kicked ass on it. ?

There had to be some reason PC was forced prematurely, none of the band sounded ready for it.

Oh yeah, also, good idea Charity Case! ?Release the album without a tour in the U.S.! ?You've got a great idea there! ?Tell Axl! ?Tell Sanctuary!! ? ?hihi

Damn I wanted TWAT!! ?(at least I got to be at Hammerstein May 12 to see it! ?love)

The new guys can play the old songs just as good as the old band (if not better).

To the haters that want a reunion, I'd love to say f.u., but that's not the proper thing to do. ? Wink ?

Ppbebe mentioned, "Me too miss BH's crisp, sunny sounds and his presence." ? rofl ?rofl ? rofl ?Yeah, me too, I miss that warm and fuzzy Buckethead. ?If you miss his guitar, that's one thing. ?If you miss his presence, next time come to a concert with a corpse. ?You'll get just as much movement and facial expressions. ?Cheesy

There are 6 songs I listed above that were absolutely spot-on and I dare you to listen to them again and argue that. ?ok

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2006, 01:44:03 PM »

The people in attendance would just be like  nervous  , BUT all the internet bootleggers would be like WHOA I got a live version of Ain't Going Down recorded from a cellphone in the parking lot of the venue.....totally amazing, you can almost hear audible music in it!

Funniest post of the tour so far  ok

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2006, 01:45:03 PM »

Great post Janabis.? That sums it up very well.? We all support GNR, but we need to be honest in our critism and not lable mediocrity as brilliant.

As for calling me stupid....well that's about as original as nuGNR's setlist.? The reason that a major publication's review hold more weight with me (more being relative really because who cares what they have to say really) than your fanboy or fangirl review is because it is very obvious that some of you are satisfied with mediocrity.? If we listen to you fanboys/fangirls, you'd think this was a great GNR performance...which it clearly wasn't.? Axl was out of breath on every damn song.? I felt bad for him as he strugglerd with songs that he would have nailed in 1992.

Again, you are obviously young and don't know the baseline or the measuring stick here...which is of course the old lineup and their shows.? No one is dissing GNR or hating on GNR, we are just being honest about the show last night.? ?So please try to refrain from the "your stupid" comments because it makes you look moronic.

Great post. I ALSO WANT Gnr to suceed, but yesterday night's show was not historic. Axl's voice in Madrid was perfect though. Maybe he just needs to calm a bit down and not run so much in bigger stages.

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2006, 01:54:20 PM »

Oh yeah, also, good idea Charity Case! ?Release the album without a tour in the U.S.! ?You've got a great idea there! ?Tell Axl! ?Tell Sanctuary!! ?

Did I say "release the album without a US tour"?  No.  I said he needs to release the album before touring (or at least a single with a date for the album's release set in stone).  This is a joke with the same setlist and same show from 2002.  Without an album it's pointless.  I wouldn't pay to see that show last night, because I saw it December 2, 2002 in Boston.   Same show exactly, with the exception of two mediocre new songs (IRS and Better) and back then the band had a better guitarist.  I won't see this show in the States in the Fall unless we have an album.  I've see it already.  It just reminds me of a Jimmy Buffet show.  Same shit over and over again.

I feel bad for you if you think getting a rahashed tour with nothing new to offer is satisfying to you.  I want more.  I want new material on an album.  I want a single release and I want a video.  And then I want this band to tour on the merits of the new material and make the transition from "cover band" to "band".  I expected more last night.  I expected better.  Maybe I need to lower my expectations.   Undecided
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2006, 02:17:43 PM »

I loved every minute of last night's show.  Even with my bad connection and the sound problems...I'm glad to have shared in the experience.  There were some problems, but it was live.  You can't expect it to be perfect like it would be in a studio.   Roll Eyes

As for rehashing old material... I love the old material.  I think this tour should be a time for the band to really BECOME a band.  I know they've all been together for a long time now (except for Ron) but let's face it.  They've not been TOGETHER...they've all been doing their separate things.  So, they need this tour to gel.  Let's just have a little more patience.  We'll get more new stuff in time...soon?  Who knows.  Let's hope that this time "this fall" means this year. 
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2006, 02:27:43 PM »

Can someone please translate the reviews.  CMon  people
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2006, 02:30:19 PM »

Can someone please translate the reviews.? CMon? people

Yep.
Anyone here who speaks Portuguese? We need some translations, please.

Beta?? Beta!! A little help here......
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »

I was there through the power of the internet.  I am not talking about the sound mix here.  Just talking about everything else.  I don't need to be there to see Axl run out of breath all night and to listen to piss poor guitar solos do I?

Axl was brilliant last night, showing no signs of being particularly out of breath.

What people need to do is watch a video of the old band in an average gig, not one of the landmark ones like the Ritz or Paris. Watch one of the ones like the Isreal show, Axl was awful, the band was shocking.

If you didn't enjoy the show last night, why, oh why, are you still following the band?
Origen
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2006, 02:44:59 PM »

Yeah and people at the show wanted to hear Don't Cry and other classic, but they didnt get that did they.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: