Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 06:50:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rio is getting GREAT REVIEWS!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rio is getting GREAT REVIEWS!  (Read 30278 times)
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2006, 10:58:11 AM »

I'm glad the show is getting the good reviews.? The stream sucked, but I could tell that it wasn't the right sound.? The band were happy and had a great time, and the fans there got to hear some new music.?

It's getting hard to read these threads though.? Some posters are posting over and over that they thought the show sucked and are arguing with anyone who disagrees with them. No matter how many times you post your opinion, it won't change mine? ok

it was the best show ever... fink is better than slash at playing slashes own music and axls voice was great.  the set list was the best hits ever and bumble is such a nice guy... i love rir!!
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2006, 11:01:03 AM »

I'm glad the show is getting the good reviews.  The stream sucked, but I could tell that it wasn't the right sound.  The band were happy and had a great time, and the fans there got to hear some new music. 

It's getting hard to read these threads though.  Some posters are posting over and over that they thought the show sucked and are arguing with anyone who disagrees with them. No matter how many times you post your opinion, it won't change mine  ok

it was the best show ever... fink is better than slash at playing slashes own music and axls voice was great.  the set list was the best hits ever and bumble is such a nice guy... i love rir!!

Thank you for your sarcasm  hihi  I know what your opinion is of the show.  It is not the same as mine. We are all entitled to our own views. 

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2006, 11:05:33 AM »

My friend and I listen to the show last night......he's a stout old member supporter. ?He has only heard the new band on MTV (so you can imagine what he thinks). ?Anyhow we both agreed that the mix was horrible and apparently they were streaming from the soundboard...SO OF COURSE YOU'RE GONNA HEAR EVERY SINGLE BREATH HE TAKES. ?My friend took this into account and by the time they fixed it somewhere around Rocket Queen, he was in nothing but compliments. ?It's a shame the band is getting shitty comments for AOL's ingenious sound techs. ?I couldn't have been more proud of the band last night. ?Axl was wailing on You Could Be Mine.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2006, 11:21:27 AM »

don't know if it was posted before:

Axl set the World Stage on fire on day two of the Rio In Rio festival. Thankful to the crowd for showing their support, the vocalist showed an energy not seen since the successful early days of the band. Always controversial, Axl Rose came close to breaking the rules after being late onto stage.
Eventually though, after half an hour, Axl and his band came onto stage with the familar opening scream of "You know where you are. You are in the jungle". They had arrived at their jungle, which today, was Rock In Rio.
"It's So Easy" followed, which it certainly wasn't when Guns N' Roses played Alvalade 14 years ago. Today though, Axl did not stumble and ran to all sides of the stage without any problems. Axl's old dress sense has also never been forgotten, today though he is a singer with a new look and a re-enegised spirit which was felt by the crowd.
Axl's first words were, "You are all amazing. Thank you for coming. Thank you for supporting us, and thank you for supporting me.". Axl was speaking to fans who had waited a long time for him and Guns N' Roses to return
In a concert lasting more than two hours long, Axl sang with a renewed voice reminiscent of the early days. "Live And Let Die" set the stage on fire, literally, with fireworks going off on both sides of the stage. The crowd were ecstatic.
"Knocking On Heavens Door" brought back old memories. The singer called on the crowd to join in and they willingly responded, singing the newer and calmer version of the song.
In "Out Ta Get Me", Axl delighted fans at the left side of the stage causing them to surge forward. After that we then heard, among others, "Sweet Child Of Mine", "Patience", and a burst of "Don't Cry" which pleased the crowd immensely.
The tremendous night ended with "Nightrain" and then "Paradise City", which was a fitting farewell from a band who had given one of their greatest concerts in recent times.

www.sp1at.com

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2006, 11:23:45 AM »

was gnr show was most packed show???

I have never seen so many tree
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2006, 11:29:08 AM »

So where are these great reviews? ?We have fanboys and fangirls saying it was awesome (mind you people that wouldn't say a bad thing regardless of the performance), but where are the MTV and RS type reviews?

Some of you need to understand that there are hardcore fans here that are not blinded by our like for GNR. ?We love GNR just as much as all of you, but we have the ability to step outside of that and to give an honest critique of the show. ?If you allow yourself to do that than you would say it wasn't a great performance. ?It certainly wasn't one of GNR's top showes and that's a hardcore fact. ?You would be honest with yourself and say that the band lacks a certain Slash element. ?Of course it's all opinion, but for those of us that have been around longer, we know what the measure stick is. ?We know what the baseline is. ?And let me tell you from experience, this is not even close to the baseline guys. ?It doesn't stand up to the original version yet.

There is one solution. ?Stop being a cover band and release their own material and let it do the talking. ?Why are they even doing this tour without an album anyway? ?It makes no sense whatsoever. ?It is a big mistake to just cash in on the tour and not run the tour off of a new album. ?I've convinced that once they release their own material (if it is good enough), they will start to make that break between old GNR and nuGNR. ?Right now the shows are repetitive and nostaligic and it isn't doing the new band any good really. ?

You can flame all you want, but this is just an honest opinion of a hardcore fan. ? Undecided
shaun
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2006, 11:35:05 AM »

Rio is getting GREAT REVIEWS!

oh i'm so out of touch. So Rock n'Rio has happend  Grin was it shown on television?
So they didn't lay There was a Time. How odd. The new leak of T.W.A.T didn't have Buckethead on it either. Maybe the song is being reworked.

Seeing as it as the Rio show, i guess there sound be some really boot's at last. So looking for a good recording of Better sung live  beer
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2006, 11:40:20 AM »

You can flame all you want, but this is just an honest opinion of a hardcore fan. ? Undecided

note.....opinion.......click the links in this thread and read the reviews.   Wait a few days and you'll see more reviews come and go.  RS usually takes a few days to get something and as for MTV...well if they're not too busy doing a Laguna Beach marathon....then you might see something soon.  Remember it took a while for Kurt Loder to get his review out last time (speaking of which is he still there?)  Anyhow you and your opinion speak for the small minority of people that cling to the past.  There was no Slash element missing last night.......the guitars were awesome (but I'm sure you're basing this on a shitty aol broadcast because you couldn't hear them right?)  The guitars were amazing, very well done.  Rocket Queen never sounded better. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Janabis
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »

Some people are going to hate reading this, but I'm being completely honest and speaking from the heart as a serious long time supporter of Axl and his cohorts. I have nothing against the new lineup. I think they're a cool and talented bunch of guys and I've paid to see them four times. But this RIR gig was one of the weakest performances I've ever seen from any GNR lineup. It had its good moments (Nightrain was fantastic, no doubt about it) but Axl sounded absolutely awful on some songs, the solos took up a huge portion of the set when they should have been playing tunes, and the setlist was completely mundane.

In 2002, Axl said "We'll be back next summer with a WHOLE BUNCH of new songs!" then four years later he returns and plays a set with even fewer new tracks than before. I'm sorry, but that's just fucking weak. If he's that fucking uptight about people hearing his new music then he can at least get the band to learn all of the UYI tracks. They've played two gigs in Europe and we already know exactly what will happen at every show for the rest of the entire tour. You could easily write a review of the July tour dates right now and be spot on except for one or two tracks. Hell, you could practically have written these reviews in 2002 and only been wrong about a couple nunchuk robot solos  hihi.

If they don't want to play new tunes then they should get up there and play all of UYI and Appetite every night instead of just phoning it in with these 5 year old setlists. In '91 GNR played some three and even four hour shows, but now it's just punch in at 11 pm and punch out at 1 am every goddamn time. As for Axl's vocals, maybe they're better than in 2002, but can you honestly listen to a live track like 'Better' and say that Axl isn't having major problems? Every performance I've heard of that song has sounded like a bad karaoke experiment, but with a pretty solid band in the background.

Anyway, I'm making these criticisms as a true fan who WANTS this band to succeed. The leaks kick ass and have me fucking pumped to hear the album, but I've just been so disappointed with how these live gigs are going. If you're totally incapable of seeing any faults in this band and are 100% satisfied no matter what they do, then good for you, but that attitude is detrimental to this band's success and only serves to delay critical improvements and adjustments that really need to be made in order for this band to take off again.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2006, 11:48:22 AM »

So where are these great reviews? ?We have fanboys and fangirls saying it was awesome (mind you people that wouldn't say a bad thing regardless of the performance), but where are the MTV and RS type reviews?

Some of you need to understand that there are hardcore fans here that are not blinded by our like for GNR. ?We love GNR just as much as all of you, but we have the ability to step outside of that and to give an honest critique of the show. ?If you allow yourself to do that than you would say it wasn't a great performance. ?It certainly wasn't one of GNR's top showes and that's a hardcore fact. ?You would be honest with yourself and say that the band lacks a certain Slash element. ?Of course it's all opinion, but for those of us that have been around longer, we know what the measure stick is. ?We know what the baseline is. ?And let me tell you from experience, this is not even close to the baseline guys. ?It doesn't stand up to the original version yet.

There is one solution. ?Stop being a cover band and release their own material and let it do the talking. ?Why are they even doing this tour without an album anyway? ?It makes no sense whatsoever. ?It is a big mistake to just cash in on the tour and not run the tour off of a new album. ?I've convinced that once they release their own material (if it is good enough), they will start to make that break between old GNR and nuGNR. ?Right now the shows are repetitive and nostaligic and it isn't doing the new band any good really. ?

you're so fuckin stupid!!!
Why is mtv or some other review more relevant from review of gnr fan!!!
in mtv work people,some of them like and some of them don't like guns n roses,so quality of review depend of it!!!
I and many fans here are agree gnr is very good band in 2006,and who cares what iron maiden,shakira or britney fans think!!!
I like Axl's and new band performance yesterday

I have never seen so many tree
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2006, 11:56:40 AM »

Great post Janabis.  That sums it up very well.  We all support GNR, but we need to be honest in our critism and not lable mediocrity as brilliant.

As for calling me stupid....well that's about as original as nuGNR's setlist.  The reason that a major publication's review hold more weight with me (more being relative really because who cares what they have to say really) than your fanboy or fangirl review is because it is very obvious that some of you are satisfied with mediocrity.  If we listen to you fanboys/fangirls, you'd think this was a great GNR performance...which it clearly wasn't.  Axl was out of breath on every damn song.  I felt bad for him as he strugglerd with songs that he would have nailed in 1992.

Again, you are obviously young and don't know the baseline or the measuring stick here...which is of course the old lineup and their shows.  No one is dissing GNR or hating on GNR, we are just being honest about the show last night.   So please try to refrain from the "your stupid" comments because it makes you look moronic.
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2006, 12:02:25 PM »

The guitars were amazing, very well done.? Rocket Queen never sounded better.?

richard was amazing with his playing, but the other 2 with the old songs the solos just seem dead and lifeless, fincks guitar tone was shocking at times.

rocket queen was shite if they're gonna play it that way all the time i'd rather them just drop it from the set.

the rest of the gig was great however. aside from the obvious sound issues.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Death Cube K
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2006, 12:07:44 PM »

it wasnt nearly equal to any UYI show

So you're saying Japan 92 was better? Man, see a doctor or something.? ok

Even the Isreal show where they turned down Izzy's amps so only Slash played the stuff?

My gawd mate..

I just looked at the two shows, back to back. Infact, I also checked out RIR2, RIR3, Oklahoma 92 and parts of Oslo 93 and the RIR5 show blew most of them away..only RIR2 could compete IMO.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 12:11:13 PM by Invisible Noise - 2TI » Logged
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2006, 12:12:40 PM »

Great post Janabis.? That sums it up very well.? We all support GNR, but we need to be honest in our critism and not lable mediocrity as brilliant.

As for calling me stupid....well that's about as original as nuGNR's setlist.? The reason that a major publication's review hold more weight with me (more being relative really because who cares what they have to say really) than your fanboy or fangirl review is because it is very obvious that some of you are satisfied with mediocrity.? If we listen to you fanboys/fangirls, you'd think this was a great GNR performance...which it clearly wasn't.? Axl was out of breath on every damn song.? I felt bad for him as he strugglerd with songs that he would have nailed in 1992.

Again, you are obviously young and don't know the baseline or the measuring stick here...which is of course the old lineup and their shows.? No one is dissing GNR or hating on GNR, we are just being honest about the show last night.? ?So please try to refrain from the "your stupid" comments because it makes you look moronic.

Watching frozen frames, on an internet feed, that had monotone quality, and the capability to deliver no more than three tracks of sound at a time, completely dismisses your argument. ?Until the stereo quality feed is out, reserve your judgement. ?I was at NYC, and those shows were mind-boggling. ?Better than the 91,92, andn 93 shows I saw, and other longtime fans saw. ?We love the old band, and we love the new band. ? yes ?No need to diss, that which you do not understand. ? Also, please, tell Slash & his lawyers(who I think keeps sending these patsies & VR street teamers here) that he need's to pay you guy's more. LOL!! ?Slash knows, if this succeeds, he's fucked and out of a big paycheck that would happen if they reunite.
Death Cube K
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2006, 12:14:38 PM »

Also, please, tell Slash & his lawyers(who I think keeps sending these patsies & VR street teamers here)

beer

That was funny stuff!
Annie
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2006, 12:16:28 PM »

The RIO show was such triumph thaT i HAD TO WATCH IT TWICE! ?AXL LOOKED SO HOT!!!!!! and he sounded great! bUMBLEFOOT ?may be a nice guy and he is talented, but he is no BUCKETHEAD. I really miss the Bucket! peace
Janabis
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2006, 12:17:15 PM »

Infact, I also checked out RIR2, RIR3, Oklahoma 92 and parts of Oslo 93 and the RIR5 show blew most of them away..only RIR2 could compete IMO.

They played more songs at all those other shows, Axl sounded a hundred times better in the UYI days, and at RIR 3 they played twice as much new material. RIR 4 sucked compared to any one of those IMO.
Death Cube K
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2006, 12:18:14 PM »

may be a nice guy and he is talented, but he is no BUCKETHEAD. I really miss the Bucket!

I have to admit I do too. Bfoot is a great guitarist, but I kinda liked the freak show that Buckethead was...he added another element to the line up.

People say he didnt fit in..which I thought was bullshit..this is not a "lets try to look like 1987" contest.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2006, 12:25:40 PM »

for those of u who weren?t there, plz believe me when I say the sound and his voice was brilliant... yeah he started patience early and IRS was kinda weird, but besided that he was amazing... his voiced rockes, and the music too... believe me, I was there... and i?m not on the side of anyone as u can see in my review in GNR on tour section...

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
sootn
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »

Bumblefoot tore it up.

We are lucky we got a live show on the internet or all we would be hearing is great reviews.... so quit complaining.

I thought Axl sounded bad really bad maybe it was the stream or whatever.

Then some songs sounded like a damn techno club.

Get the album out and play new music damnit
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: