Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Earlier versions of I.R.S. and Twat Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Earlier versions of I.R.S. and Twat Discussion  (Read 31345 times)
Berra_Volume
Opening Act

Me & Dizzy @ The Cat Club 2005

« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2006, 05:40:14 PM »

I was just informed that these came from a disc with 12 tracks (almost full album) Only 1999/2000 material.

Jim Barber was pretty ecstatic about these tracks.

The Robin Finck/Josh Freese/Tommy Stinson/Billy Howerdel/Dizzy Reed version of the album that existed in 1998 was pretty incredible. It still sounded like GNR but there were elements of Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails and Pink Floyd mixed in. If Axl had recorded vocals, it would have been an absolutely contemporary record in 1999.

But what's the story with the vocals? That's pretty damn good proof Axl had recorded vocal tracks at the time.  Huh

edit: If not in '98, than at least the following year.

But are these new leaks confirmed to be from that era and not from like 2005?
IMO they feel alot more fresh than the old ones - can anyone tell me how these versions match with versions played at the Hammerstein? (I don't have those bootlegs)
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2006, 06:09:33 PM »

I want to hear those 12 songs almost as much as I want to hear the released version of Chinese Democracy. I really hope the rest get out there. Those 2 tracks are amazing.
uncleslashbob
Headliner

Smith can you bring me some tea?

« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2006, 06:57:25 PM »

like this most recent leak of irs much better but, the most recent leak of twat kinda lacks to me
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2006, 07:38:19 PM »

Okay I heard them now (Cough Page 2 Cough)

Neither are as good as the 'newer' versions IMO. TWAT mainly because of the lack of the BH solo, that solo needs to make the album! IRS just doesn't hit as hard as the other version and sounds kinda disjointed. Still nice to have these 'early' versions.

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2006, 08:02:20 PM »

The intro of 1999 TWAT  also isn't as good as the 2002 version. But that song proves to me that the Bucket solo at the end makes the song brilliant.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2006, 08:34:33 PM »

Really digging the I.R.S version, very strange that a "'99" version has Robin's NEW solo in it. As far as TwaT, seems a little more raw to me, less polished, like the vocals, though.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2006, 09:21:57 PM »

Interesting as these versions are, they highlight to me how theyre pretty good songs but a little below the par in terms of being earth shattering to me.

The versions we have already are both far superior, especially TWAT, which sounds a bit flat on this version

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2006, 09:25:53 PM »

Really digging the I.R.S version, very strange that a "'99" version has Robin's NEW solo in it. As far as TwaT, seems a little more raw to me, less polished, like the vocals, though.

You ever think since BH left the band they put back in robins OLD solo before BH was in the band?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
gnrkid03
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2006, 09:29:43 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Bumblefoot redoes the Buckethead solo in TWAT and some of the other songs.  Hopefully he does some work on the TWAT solo and puts it back into the song. 
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2006, 09:38:54 PM »

You ever think since BH left the band they put back in robins OLD solo before BH was in the band?

Actually, no, I hadn't thought about that. You ever think you don't have to reply to every post like a jackass?

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
GunsLova
Rocker

VR? LMAO

« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2006, 02:25:57 AM »

Is the song that's 5:01 Secs file name Twat2 the earlier version? I hope so. Because I like the earlier leak alot better. Ex: as much as most people dont like too many effects and distortions, I luv the little dist on Axl's voice on the earlier version....
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2006, 03:18:47 AM »

Ok...i like that in these versions the vocals are much stronger and easier to understand.....however IMHO this new (or old if its 99) version of IRS is not as cool as the original leak just cos it misses that sweep picking thing at 3:29 - to me it was like the whole song built up to that mad solo over the really long held axl note - and without a massive fast solo there it kinda lacks.

I hope that bumblefoot gets involved now and adds some shred to cover the bits of buckets that have been removed.

I'm no shred devotee, and not really even a bucket fan - but its clear to me that on the end of TWAT and IRS those solos really took it to a new level - now it sounds incomplete. It needs some other kind of solo - be it robin, bumblefoot whovever...it just needs something back where that stuff was...lets pray the CD has it!
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2006, 06:27:31 AM »

Fincks solo on IRS really blows in comparison to BH

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Gordi
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2006, 09:46:17 AM »

So... we're probably not gonna hear the other 10 songs from this CD?  Huh
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2006, 10:27:51 AM »

Does anyone remember when IRS was first leaked as a 20 sec (or thereabouts) clip? I'm sure it was much faster than either of these versions. I'd like to hear the fast version of the song.

Here today...ready to rock
Steel_Angel
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2006, 10:55:07 AM »

yup... i actually still have that.. it sounds bad. but the tempo is speeded..
madagas
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2006, 11:41:10 AM »

I actually like the first part of TWAT better than the full length version. His vocal is much more soulful and the stripped down arrangement is better. However, the second part definitely needs those big solos. I still haven't heard IRS..HINT HINT. Kiss
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2006, 11:53:56 AM »

You know i might be crazy....but i just watched the RIR5 vid of IRS that someone posted earlier....and its hard to tell cos of the mix - but to me it really sounds as if the version they played conforms more to the "99 Demo" than the "BH Demo" (for want of better terms).

Is it certain that they are 99 demos...i mean clearly BH is not on the track...but is it possible this is a new version post his departure...cos it really sounds like the video to me.

What makes me think it isnt just the solos its the way the rhythm part is played...i dunno how to explain what i mean - its kinda more off beat (not incorrectly) i think i mean? Like syncopated or something.

Anyway..as per my previous post..if this is a new version it needs a bumble outro IMHO....
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2006, 11:54:33 AM »

If those songs are from the same 'album' as CITR, isn't safe to say that it is most likely Brian May playing lead guitar?

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2006, 12:01:08 PM »

If those songs are from the same 'album' as CITR, isn't safe to say that it is most likely Brian May playing lead guitar?

rofl

Brian ain't playing on these. Listen to them.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: