Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:26:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  There has to be a reason for lack of uyi
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There has to be a reason for lack of uyi  (Read 13646 times)
phreakofnature
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2006, 02:58:31 AM »

Axl has good taste thats why. AFD owns UYI
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2006, 03:04:09 AM »

Hatts

the funny thing is he has this super huge band out there and he's playing many songs that only took 5 guys, you'd think the illusions would have fit this band better simply since they have the two keyboard players..

For a man that didn't want to live his life through one album he sure loves it to death.. Must suck for the new band playing covers most of the time..
Dragoon77
Opening Act

Here Yesterday...

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2006, 03:15:56 AM »

Estranged on the 2006 tour:
"I'm only 48 and much to young to let love break my heart..."  Huh   rofl
the song is dated

and:

"I might be a little young
But Honey I ain't naive"

?

hihi

should be: "i'm not young anymore and honey i aint naive"
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2006, 03:43:15 AM »

For a man that didn't want to live his life through one album he sure loves it to death.. Must suck for the new band playing covers most of the time..
But they've all joined the band as members of Guns N' Roses, the GNR catalogue certianly is a huge part of that right?      They aren't the guys who recorded the songs, but these aren't exactly covers either.  Like in any other band, when a member leaves and is replaced, its the same thing, that guy has to learn all the previous material, and he's part of the band, and its that band's song.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2006, 03:51:29 AM »

Hatts
 Must suck for the new band playing covers most of the time..

Funny how nobody said that about Gilby and/or Matt when they were playing AFD songs.......

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2006, 03:55:48 AM »

The "unofficial" history of Guns N' Roses in the minds of many critics and casual fans alike is that the band lost its way on the UYI albums and got left in the dust when stripped down grunge hit the scene.... maybe Axl is responding to that perception.

I know personally that I enjoy the Illusions a lot... but when I see Guns in 2006... I'm want to hear the CLASSICS from the back catalog (many of which are AFD tracks) and NEW songs from Chinese D. I was a lucky son-of-a-bitch when I went to the May 12th NYC show. All the Classics + Better, IRS, CD, Madagascar, TWAT, The Blues. ok

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2006, 03:58:58 AM »

It's hard to please everyone
Actually, its not. Has someone in the GNR camp told Axl what year it is? Last time I checked my calendar, it wasn't 1988. Do you see people begging for AFD? GNR fans haven't waited to hear AFD played almost in its entirety. People who want that will listen to AFD or watch Ritz 88. The only thing shoving AFD down peoples throats is going to accomplish is fan disinterest. You dont just hype CD for years on end and come back with a bunch of old music. Either start showcasing the album like fans want, or name the tour what it really is: AFD Rehash Tour Part2.
Hatts

Funny how nobody said that about Gilby and/or Matt when they were playing AFD songs.......
Its because it wasn't never ending rehash then. All that material was relevant then, and Matt was on UYI. Gilby was on TSI. Also, Izzy left so early in the UYI era that Gilby stepped in immediately. Funny you are trying to compare that to this situation.

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2006, 04:03:41 AM »

Hatts

Somewhat different situation. Axl, Slash and Duff were always the three biggest personalities in the band... at least in the public's mind. As long as those three were there... no one was going to give the drummer who replaced the original guy who was a pathetic junkie... or the rhythm guitarist who replaced the original guy who had no interest in being a part of it any more... a hard time. In fact, those replacements were actually "liked" because they helped keep the GN'R machine moving.

Axl could hit the stage tonight with Slash, Duff, Finck, Fortus, Brain, Reed and Pitman and the entire world would probably embrace it as Guns N' Roses so long as Axl, Slash and Duff were all there.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2006, 04:04:33 AM »

It's hard to please everyone
Actually, its not. Has someone in the GNR camp told Axl what year it is? Last time I checked my calendar, it wasn't 1988. Do you see people begging for AFD? GNR fans haven't waited to hear AFD played almost in its entirety. People who want that will listen to AFD or watch Ritz 88. The only thing shoving AFD down peoples throats is going to accomplish is fan disinterest. You dont just hype CD for years on end and come back with a bunch of old music. Either start showcasing the album like fans want, or name the tour what it really is: AFD Rehash Tour Part2.
Hatts

Its because it wasn't never ending rehash then. All that material was relevant then, and Matt was on UYI. Gilby was on TSI. Also, Izzy left so early in the UYI era that Gilby stepped in immediately. Funny you are trying to compare that to this situation.

its late and my head hurts....be nice to me! haha.

you make excellent points - i guess what i was getting at is at what point do you say "its not GNR"....after steve is fired? when Izzy quits? or is it really just duff and slash people cared about not being in the band? 

I think you're totally wrong about the set list, but we can agree to disagree on that.  I don't know one person who went to Hammerstein on any of the nights and said, "that sucked! I wanted to hear more songs that I don't know!!!!"  There is a whole generation of fans who have NEVER HEARD THESE SONGS LIVE!!!  I saw dads with their teenage kids at the NYC shows and I thought how awesome that was.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2006, 04:06:31 AM »

Hatts

Somewhat different situation. Axl, Slash and Duff were always the three biggest personalities in the band... at least in the public's mind. As long as those three were there... no one was going to give the drummer who replaced the original guy who was a pathetic junkie... or the rhythm guitarist who replaced the original guy who had no interest in being a part of it any more... a hard time. In fact, those replacements were actually "liked" because they helped keep the GN'R machine moving.

Axl could hit the stage tonight with Slash, Duff, Finck, Fortus, Brain, Reed and Pitman and the entire world would probably embrace it as Guns N' Roses so long as Axl, Slash and Duff were all there.

I hear ya....I think even Duff could have been replaced and people would have gotten over it.  Slash and Axl were the two big personalities back in the day.....

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2006, 04:14:47 AM »

you make excellent points - i guess what i was getting at is at what point do you say "its not GNR"....after steve is fired? when Izzy quits? or is it really just duff and slash people cared about not being in the band??

I think you're totally wrong about the set list, but we can agree to disagree on that.? I don't know one person who went to Hammerstein on any of the nights and said, "that sucked! I wanted to hear more songs that I don't know!!!!"? There is a whole generation of fans who have NEVER HEARD THESE SONGS LIVE!!!? I saw dads with their teenage kids at the NYC shows and I thought how awesome that was.
The Hammerstein shows prove nothing. That was mostly hardcore fans willing to hear anything. Wait until this rehash tour plays to empty arenas across the country. Im telling you guys, its just not gonna fly anymore. 2002 proved that. During the UYI in 1991, people wanted to hear new music, and loved that setlist. Why do you think its different now? Because you guys want it to be different? The success of the US tour depends on everything that occurs in Europe. So far, the NY shows and the spain show are strong indications of a 2002 repeat. When he heads back over here and yells, "You know where the fuck you are", there will be an echo, and dont say I didnt warn you.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2006, 04:16:45 AM »

you make excellent points - i guess what i was getting at is at what point do you say "its not GNR"....after steve is fired? when Izzy quits? or is it really just duff and slash people cared about not being in the band? 

I think you're totally wrong about the set list, but we can agree to disagree on that.  I don't know one person who went to Hammerstein on any of the nights and said, "that sucked! I wanted to hear more songs that I don't know!!!!"  There is a whole generation of fans who have NEVER HEARD THESE SONGS LIVE!!!  I saw dads with their teenage kids at the NYC shows and I thought how awesome that was.
The Hammerstein shows prove nothing. That was mostly hardcore fans willing to hear anything. Wait until this rehash tour plays to empty arenas across the country. Im telling you guys, its just not gonna fly anymore. 2002 proved that. During the UYI in 1991, people wanted to hear new music, and loved that setlist. Why do you think its different now? Because you guys want it to be different? The success of the US tour depends on everything that occurs in Europe. So far, the NY shows and the spain show are strong indications of a 2002 repeat. When he heads back over here and yells, "You know where the fuck you are", there will be an echo, and dont say I didnt warn you.

Time will tell I suppose.  All I can say is people really enjoyed the show in NYC, and I know plenty of non die hards who attented.......but anyways, does this mean you're not going to the CA show?  Wink

Also, I thougth a lot of the euro shows had already sold out?  Is that not the case?  and IF CD is really going to be released in the fall, the set list very well could change to include some new songs.  As for diehards/non die hards...to the avg. fan there are SIX new songs being played....while not new to us, they are new to many people...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 04:20:50 AM by HannaHat » Logged

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2006, 04:36:57 AM »

Time will tell I suppose.? All I can say is people really enjoyed the show in NYC, and I know plenty of non die hards who attented.......but anyways, does this mean you're not going to the CA show?? Wink

Also, I thougth a lot of the euro shows had already sold out?? Is that not the case?? and IF CD is really going to be released in the fall, the set list very well could change to include some new songs.? As for diehards/non die hards...to the avg. fan there are SIX new songs being played....while not new to us, they are new to many people...
As far as the CA show, I will most likely go. I have been a GNR fan since 87, and I would like to support new GNR on this tour. But I just cant jump on board with this stale setlist. I really hope he changes it at some point during the Euro tour. AFD songs like NT, MB, RQ,etc, can easily be replaced with new songs and fans not be pissed, because he would still be playing the old hits. There's no reason to dig so deep into AFD.

RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2006, 02:44:34 PM »

I could see skipping songs if these albums were huge bombs. Sometimes I will see a band that I am really into and they will omit albums entirely , simply because they feel that the audience may not be familiar with the material. Of course we know that everyone can't be pleased. I don't expect an acoustic version of Coma or anything like that. Could someone please tell me the incentive for seeing more than one show if the set lists are not varied. Isn't it terribly boring for the band to play the same show night in and night out?

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2006, 02:55:29 PM »

Don't Cry and Civil War for me definitely. Two of my all-time faves.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2006, 02:56:40 PM »

I could see skipping songs if these albums were huge bombs. Sometimes I will see a band that I am really into and they will omit albums entirely , simply because they feel that the audience may not be familiar with the material. Of course we know that everyone can't be pleased. I don't expect an acoustic version of Coma or anything like that. Could someone please tell me the incentive for seeing more than one show if the set lists are not varied. Isn't it terribly boring for the band to play the same show night in and night out?

Agreed.

I'm going to Paris and thinking of going to Wembley but I really don't want to go to Wembley if its the exact same setlist.
gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »

Agreed.

I'm going to Paris and thinking of going to Wembley but I really don't want to go to Wembley if its the exact same setlist.

As far as I know, most bands play the same list night after night, so why are people picking on GNR?  The only band I know that changes the list every single night is Pearl Jam.

I remember a while ago hearing some guy (not from GNR but something simliar) say that setlist do not change much partly due to stage effect and light show that are specific to songs and it's a pain in the ass to change that all the time. (PJ never had a huge lightshow). I don't think it's a great excuse but that what the guy said.

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2006, 03:16:08 PM »

Don't Cry, Civil War, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up would all be cool to hear live again
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2006, 04:07:07 PM »

How about they play NO Guns songs......

Negleyjj
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2006, 06:11:46 PM »

Agreed.

As far as I know, most bands play the same list night after night, so why are people picking on GNR?  The only band I know that changes the list every single night is Pearl Jam.

I remember a while ago hearing some guy (not from GNR but something simliar) say that setlist do not change much partly due to stage effect and light show that are specific to songs and it's a pain in the ass to change that all the time. (PJ never had a huge lightshow). I don't think it's a great excuse but that what the guy said.

It's true, other than Pearl Jam and Dream Theater, very few bands change the set lists up too much
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: