Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 04:39:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  There has to be a reason for lack of uyi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There has to be a reason for lack of uyi  (Read 12301 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 03:16:14 PM »

The reason is they are gonna be playing mostly CD songs when the album drops and will just play the classics, there is no point in learning many UYI songs since they will just be playing about 10 old songs and 10 new at each show after the album comes out.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
makane
Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »

The reason is they are gonna be playing mostly CD songs when the album drops and will just play the classics, there is no point in learning many UYI songs since they will just be playing about 10 old songs and 10 new at each show after the album comes out.
Yeah, after the album comes out... Which is when? Certainly not for European crowds...

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 03:18:55 PM »

It's not about "how hard it is". It's more like who wrote it and whos the lead man on the songs.

As far as I know, "Think About You" is an Izzy song, yet that has been played since 2001.

IMO, There is no good reason for them not playing more of the old songs and mixing up their setlist. ?I'd settle for a new cover song!

i think it has a lot to do with who wrote the songs. if you listen to axl's talk on the trunk show about the illusion era, he doesnt really speak fondly of the whole situation between the band, also, if you look at the credits in all their albums, somewhere along the way it went from being "all songs written by GNR" to "(slash) or (axl) or (izzy)".

i think axl sticks with the ones that he was responsible for, or had the biggest hand in. as far as AFD, even though some songs were started by ertain players, im sure it was more of a collaborative effot then the illusion albums, hence why we hear all of that, and so little of anything else.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 03:22:18 PM »

yeah, they should play more from the illusions... like: don?t cry, ?double talking jive, the garden, civil war, 14 years, yesterdays, and most importantly, breakdown, so fine and ESTRANGED!! Shocked

Maybe Axl should just do 7 hour sets and play every song on every album and then if you still not satisified he can take requests   Roll Eyes

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »

yeah, they should play more from the illusions... like: don?t cry, ?double talking jive, the garden, civil war, 14 years, yesterdays, and most importantly, breakdown, so fine and ESTRANGED!! Shocked

Maybe Axl should just do 7 hour sets and play every song on every album and then if you still not satisified he can take requests? ?Roll Eyes

Yeah,

jesus people, atleast he is out and playing again. why cant anyone be satisfied?

you can all stay at home and listen to the UYI albums then and ill enjoy my spot in the front row.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 03:25:54 PM »

I agree Hatts.? To imply that UYI songs are harder to play then AFD songs is completely absurd.? Its a matter of choice.? There aren't really that many AMAZING UYI songs to be honest.? Estranged and Coma wouldn't be right for a concert and the don't damn me and bad obsession songs are average tunes.? EVERYBODY knows the AFD songs and they are all kick ass rock songs.? I don't mind the set list at all.? If you've been to a GNR show this year and you were "unhappy" with the songs they played you don't know how to relax and have a good time.

Ehm? I hope you're not a musician yourself ? Kiss
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 03:27:19 PM »

I think the reason is more practical - the AFD songs are more popular (and by most accounts, plain better). Hes already playing a 2-plus hour show. Its possible that songs like "Dont Cry" and "Estranged" are omitted for personal reasons...hopefully an interviewer asks about it.

Well I'm not saying that they should ADD the UYI songs and make the entire show longer... I think that each show they should come up with a unique setlist. ?It adds a new level of excitement to a live show when there is an unexpected setlist. ?How many times do you read about the "highlight" of the show being a song the band doesn't normally play? ?People aren't leaving the new GN'R concerts saying "Wow! Can you believe the performance of Out Ta Get Me? ?Lucky we caught the band in this city!"

What bothers me more is Axl's plans for future setlists... Obviously once the album is out there will be an emphasis on the new material... but will the setlists be as calculated and boring as they are now? ?Will it just be the new album with Jungle, SCOM, November Rain & Paradise City? ?If that's the case, why even bother calling the band Guns N' Roses?
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 03:27:33 PM »

I agree Hatts.? To imply that UYI songs are harder to play then AFD songs is completely absurd.? Its a matter of choice.? There aren't really that many AMAZING UYI songs to be honest.? Estranged and Coma wouldn't be right for a concert and the don't damn me and bad obsession songs are average tunes.? EVERYBODY knows the AFD songs and they are all kick ass rock songs.? I don't mind the set list at all.? If you've been to a GNR show this year and you were "unhappy" with the songs they played you don't know how to relax and have a good time.

Ehm? I hope you're not a musician yourself ? Kiss

though i dont agree with that statement, i do think that half of the illusion songs arent worth playing live.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 03:28:05 PM »

Well, if these shows have anything to do with the fans then it shouldn't matter who wrote the songs. I am in ?favor of huge banners with UYI songs at the next tour. even when CD comes out, these songs should be played. I don't think too many people will mind if they cut some of the 9 or so AFD songs they play every night and make room for more UYI. Lets face it, unless they play a 4 hour show most diehards will never be happy.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 03:31:07 PM »

Well, if these shows have anything to do with the fans then it shouldn't matter who wrote the songs. I am in ?favor of huge banners with UYI songs at the next tour. even when CD comes out, these songs should be played. I don't think too many people will mind if they cut some of the 9 or so AFD songs they play every night and make room for more UYI. Lets face it, unless they play a 4 hour show most diehards will never be happy.

no, they really dont have much to do with the fans, and more to do with promotion.

and i think that axl playing his songs makes perfect sense.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »

I think the reason is more practical - the AFD songs are more popular (and by most accounts, plain better). Hes already playing a 2-plus hour show. Its possible that songs like "Dont Cry" and "Estranged" are omitted for personal reasons...hopefully an interviewer asks about it.

Well I'm not saying that they should ADD the UYI songs and make the entire show longer... I think that each show they should come up with a unique setlist. ?It adds a new level of excitement to a live show when there is an unexpected setlist. ?How many times do you read about the "highlight" of the show being a song the band doesn't normally play? ?People aren't leaving the new GN'R concerts saying "Wow! Can you believe the performance of Out Ta Get Me? ?Lucky we caught the band in this city!"

What bothers me more is Axl's plans for future setlists... Obviously once the album is out there will be an emphasis on the new material... but will the setlists be as calculated and boring as they are now? ?Will it just be the new album with Jungle, SCOM, November Rain & Paradise City? ?If that's the case, why even bother calling the band Guns N' Roses?

I agree Eazy. Someone please tell me what incentive there is to see more than one show, if the setlist ?is gonna be the same night in and night out. Not to get off topic but Pearl Jam is  the best example of a popular rock band who varies the set night in and night out. I think they do it for themselves and for their fans.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 03:33:08 PM »

I tend to agree with Hanna and Booker, most are just not as good as the AFD material featured while the others are absolute momentum killers. ?

The only UYI song I'd like to hear would be Yesterdays, would trade that for Patience in a minute...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 03:35:25 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 03:34:41 PM »

I agree Eazy. Someone please tell me what incentive there is to see more than one show, if the setlist ?is gonna be the same night in and night out. Not to get off topic but Pearl Jam is? the best example of a popular rock band who varies the set night in and night out. I think they do it for themselves and for their fans.

pearl jam has more material to pull from.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2006, 03:38:35 PM »

pearl jam has more material to pull from.

And back when Guns used to do varied sets in 91-92 they only had 3 albums. Now they have Spaghetti/OMG/Leaks/CD(someday!). etc. No reason to not switch it up.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2006, 03:41:54 PM »

I think Guns N' Roses playing Guns N' Roses songs makes perfect sense.

Why should it matter how much material they have to pulll from? ?I think everyone agrees that we don't need to hear Shotgun Blues or My World... but there are a handful of UYI songs on there that people would go nuts for if they actually played them.
Montrealer
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »

They are all songs from the AFD era.. YCBM and NR were supposed to be on it.
The other songs are covers... so nothing from the UYI era at all
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2006, 04:09:35 PM »

I think Guns N' Roses playing Guns N' Roses songs makes perfect sense.

Why should it matter how much material they have to pulll from? ?I think everyone agrees that we don't need to hear Shotgun Blues or My World... but there are a handful of UYI songs on there that people would go nuts for if they actually played them.

if by handfulyou mean 3 or 4 then yes, there are 3 or 4 songs worth playing from those, but nothing that would drastically change the set.

id rather hear there was a time be added to the rotation more often than anything from UYI, with the exception of estranged. which he probably wont play since he said that song would be nothing without slash.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Hatts
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »

Hey real quick i realise that this post kind of had a negotive connotation around it which i didn't mean for it to have.  I really don't mind that they play a lot of appetite.  I went to the nyc concert on the 14th and it was fucking great.  I was more interested in maybe getting some answers as to why axl doesn't want to play more of them.  I know that a lot of them will probably never be played but im interested as to why?

The only song i would love if they played is estranged,
Hatts

"If I thought that I was crazy well i guess i'd have more fun."
Eric
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2006, 04:27:31 PM »

The Eddie Trunk interview-I think Axl now thinks the videos are cheesy, he had a hard time getting Slash and Izzy to work on songs, He mentioned he felt pressured to release them, he really hasn't much to say positive about that era-I think Axl was so unhappy during that era, those songs remind him of it-I don't know-a it's amazing out of UYI 1 and 2 he's playing one song GNR wrote-LALD and KOHD covers, of course-I'm surprised, I love a lot of songs from those albums, but a lot of them I didn't like-oops, forgot about You Could be Mine, though-I'll have to go through and think about the "Axl" songs, he was talking about from Eddie Trunk-I still think Don't Cry and Estranged would be awsome from the new band to hear-especially Don't Cry, w 3 guitars.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »

reminds him of the demise of GnR? dunno... Undecided

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: