Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 04:48:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  There has to be a reason for lack of uyi
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There has to be a reason for lack of uyi  (Read 12272 times)
Hatts
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: May 26, 2006, 02:42:05 PM »

Knocking on heavens door

You could be Mine

Live and let die

November Rain

There has to be a reason that these are the only four from those albums.  I'm very curious why those are the only ones that they play.   

My theories: Maybe axl doesn't want to play for psycological reasons.  Maybe when he thinks of those songs he assiociates them with the breakup of the original band.  Maybe he won't play songs like "estranged" and "coma" because he associates those with band feelings he had personally that he doens't want to relive.

2.  Maybe he legaly can't play some of those songs because they  belong to other people but that really wouldn't explain you could be mine.

3.  The new band can't play.  I think this is bullshit.  I don't believe that "estranged" is anymore difficult to play than november rain.  This band kicks so much ass and seems to me that they are all playing clean and sober (which i believe was a problem with the old band.)

The band is full of of nothing but the best talent.  non of the members are newbies at music.  They have all been in succesful bands.  I really just think it's a pitty that they don't play more of those songs.

What do you guys think,
Hatts

"If I thought that I was crazy well i guess i'd have more fun."
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 02:45:20 PM »

What other UYI songs do you think they should play?

Don't Cry and Civil War are the only two that I can think of that would be good to add off the top of my head.

Estranged and Coma would be total momentum killers.  Great songs for when you are at home on your couch, bad songs for a concert.  They're just too long.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
chad_er33
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 02:47:46 PM »

i would really like to hear some songs that were rarely played like breakdown, locomotive, coma incorporated into the new shows as well as some songs that have never been played like don't damn me or shotgun blues. ? ok
mlewis
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »

Don't damn me would be ironically very appropriate....
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:48:47 PM »

i really really wanna hear don't cry and civil war,and maybe estranged, which is my fave song. but that would be too much to ask for i guess,i don't know

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
Hatts
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 02:49:10 PM »

Any would be good for me.  I guess that is a good point.  I guess i just really miss Estranged.  The illusion albums were my favorite man.

Hatts

IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 02:51:14 PM »

Songs I think they should play from Use Your Illusion I & II:

-Don't Cry
-Civil War
-Estranged

Those would be nice additions to the setlist...(jmo)
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 02:53:47 PM »

yeah, they should play more from the illusions... like: don?t cry, ?double talking jive, the garden, civil war, 14 years, yesterdays, and most importantly, breakdown, so fine and ESTRANGED!! Shocked

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:57:28 PM »

What Hanna said.

I'd rather hear Locomotive, pretty tied up, the garden or My world( hihi) than those 4 on the set.
but Maybe these are the songs Hatts theory applies to.

makane
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 02:57:53 PM »

He doesn't play them 'cause they rely too much on the old band.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 02:58:26 PM »

and afd doesn't?

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
chad_er33
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 03:00:39 PM »

imo, i wish axl would stop playing live and let die and knockin' on heavens door.  if they are going to play covers, try some new ones for a change or play some more uyi material.
makane
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 03:00:46 PM »

and afd doesn't?
AFD didn't have credits to a single member. (theres "Slash songs" and "Izzy songs")
And I do think AFD does rely on old members, but Axl, for some reason, plays old songs.
(I've seen numerouse fans asking for MORE new songs. Axl said in rio that he plays to OLD songs for the fans, which isn't correct. Fans wanna hear new stuff)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 03:03:44 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Hatts
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 03:02:34 PM »

See i really just don't buy that.  I think the new band could "play the fuck out of those songs".  I really just don't think that those songs are any harder than appetite for destruction.

Hatts

makane
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 03:04:37 PM »

See i really just don't buy that.? I think the new band could "play the fuck out of those songs".? I really just don't think that those songs are any harder than appetite for destruction.

Hatts
It's not about "how hard it is". It's more like who wrote it and whos the lead man on the songs.

Please read this post HannaHat.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 03:08:40 PM by makane » Logged

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 03:07:04 PM »

See i really just don't buy that.  I think the new band could "play the fuck out of those songs".  I really just don't think that those songs are any harder than appetite for destruction.

Hatts

I agree Hatts.  To imply that UYI songs are harder to play then AFD songs is completely absurd.  Its a matter of choice.  There aren't really that many AMAZING UYI songs to be honest.  Estranged and Coma wouldn't be right for a concert and the don't damn me and bad obsession songs are average tunes.  EVERYBODY knows the AFD songs and they are all kick ass rock songs.  I don't mind the set list at all.  If you've been to a GNR show this year and you were "unhappy" with the songs they played you don't know how to relax and have a good time.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 03:09:04 PM »

It's not about "how hard it is". It's more like who wrote it and whos the lead man on the songs.

As far as I know, "Think About You" is an Izzy song, yet that has been played since 2001.

IMO, There is no good reason for them not playing more of the old songs and mixing up their setlist. ?I'd settle for a new cover song!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 03:13:21 PM »

I think the reason is more practical - the AFD songs are more popular (and by most accounts, plain better).  Hes already playing a 2-plus hour show.  Its possible that songs like "Dont Cry" and "Estranged" are omitted for personal reasons...hopefully an interviewer asks about it. 

makane
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 03:15:07 PM »

As far as I know, "Think About You" is an Izzy song, yet that has been played since 2001.

IMO, There is no good reason for them not playing more of the old songs and mixing up their setlist. ?I'd settle for a new cover song!
Well, it's not so clearly led by old members like ie. Don't Cry (written by Izzy and Slash solo. )
Also songs like Double Talkin' Jive/Locomotive,  very Izzy/Slash songs.

RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 03:16:07 PM »

There is no excuse for the lack of Illusion songs. Musically this band is on par if not ahead of old Gn'R so I am sure they could play them if they chose to do so. I know that we will probably never hear Coma but there are PLENTY of songs that should still be played. This 2006 tour should be the time to bust out with Don't Cry and Dead Horse etc. Otherwise this is pretty damn close to 2002.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: