Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 11:56:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228157 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  VH1 4 part metal special
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: VH1 4 part metal special  (Read 4785 times)
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 02:44:38 AM »

Did I say Slash looked like shit?? Um, no.? Did you see Jani Lane?? Did you see Russel from Great white?? The guys from Quiet Riot?? Dee Snider?

Speaking of those dudes, they're exactly what I meant by moving on from the "old stuff".? All of those guys haven't done anything new in a VERY long time (if they have its been completely under the radar).?
As for your more than apparent love for Slash and VR, they only play 2 GNR songs b/c Scott can't handle 95% of GNR's material.

They only play 2 GN'R songs because they have an album of their own they can play songs from.  Jani Lane and Russel did look bad, but not all of them did.  In fact, I think most of the guys they interviewed look pretty good for their age.  Also, the guys from Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister are considerably older than Axl.  And in defense of Great White, Quiet Riot, Jani, Lane, and most of the other people who appeared on that show, they have been putting out new material on a consistent basis for years now.  You may not like it, but at least they're out there making music for their fans.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Pig Vomit
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 03:07:28 AM »

Agreed, I think Axl really wants to move on from the old stuff and focus on the new stuff.? I think if he were to be on the show it would be a signal that GNR IS the past - all the rockers on that show now are so old and tired looking.

You obviously haven't seen one setlist from any Axl show from 2002 to the present.? Also, I don't think most of the rockers look any older or more tired than Axl.? Slash looks younger and healthier now than he did back in the 80's.? Also, a little side note...Velvet Revolver throws in 2 GN'R songs per set.? Who's moving on from the old stuff?

Sure he does Roll Eyes, Slash looks like a frizzy haired douche bag with a face like a catchers mit(then again he was never a looker in the first place). And who cares if VR only plays 2 GNR songs, if they were smart it would be entirely GNR songs cause every thing they wrote since sucks ass. GNR has over 30 songs ready but why play them when none of them haven't been released yet?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 04:21:50 AM »

Agreed, I think Axl really wants to move on from the old stuff and focus on the new stuff.? I think if he were to be on the show it would be a signal that GNR IS the past - all the rockers on that show now are so old and tired looking.

You obviously haven't seen one setlist from any Axl show from 2002 to the present.? Also, I don't think most of the rockers look any older or more tired than Axl.? Slash looks younger and healthier now than he did back in the 80's.? Also, a little side note...Velvet Revolver throws in 2 GN'R songs per set.? Who's moving on from the old stuff?

Sure he does Roll Eyes, Slash looks like a frizzy haired douche bag with a face like a catchers mit(then again he was never a looker in the first place). And who cares if VR only plays 2 GNR songs, if they were smart it would be entirely GNR songs cause every thing they wrote since sucks ass. GNR has over 30 songs ready but why play them when none of them haven't been released yet?

WHY?? so this "new" band could start acting like one instead of treating the fans to a? COVER SESSION.. I want to burry afd, i can't live my life off that one album rofl All the slash haters all own the post gnr albums hihi

As for your more than apparent love for Slash and VR, they only play 2 GNR songs b/c Scott can't handle 95% of GNR's material. a cover of a song doesn't have to sound like axl, so technically they can cover anything, those chosen songs like brownstone or it's so easy fit the rocking vibe of the live shows..They just fit the bill. this is a gnr board why not love slash, or duff or izzy

all you vr haters must follow them so closely..Doesn't everyone follow bands and people they hate..I bet it's like most sheeple, just follow what others say and bash anything or anyone not with gnr or axl anymore..I've seen several vr shows, a? 5 new gnr shows, at least i give each band the time of day to have real opinions..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:27:27 AM by mikegiuliana » Logged
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 07:25:49 AM »

Sorry Mike, but I gave Contraband more than a few listens, and to me it still sounds like one of the most uninspired, unlistenable rock albums Ive ever wasted my hard earned money on.

Id take Slash's Snakepit, or very early STP over Velvet anyday, but maybe thats just me...

Personally, I also have a hunch that Army of Anyone is going to have one killer debut album that will show who the true talented beings in STP really were ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 07:31:15 AM »

Sorry Mike, but I gave Contraband more than a few listens, and to me it still sounds like one of the most uninspired, unlistenable rock albums Ive ever wasted my hard earned money on.

Id take Slash's Snakepit, or very early STP over Velvet anyday, but maybe thats just me...

Personally, I also have a hunch that Army of Anyone is going to have one killer debut album that will show who the true talented beings in STP really were ok

I never said it was for everyone or everyone liked it.. Just some of the people that hate the ex members so much wouldn't be the ones to run out and buy eevrything they release.. If people don't believe that then they need help..

if I hate a certain player most likely I wouldn't own anything from his solo career...
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 07:34:08 AM »

Can you download this metalspecial soemwhere?I don't think vh1 europe will air them...

shit happens when you party naked
KILLYOURIDOL
Banned
Opening Act

This site is filled with Axl nuthuggers

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 09:57:50 AM »

Man I thought last nights part with GnR was awsome. Only problem is it makes me want the original GnR lineup back. Slash is just as much GnR as Axl is. He owns Appetite. So much of what makes that album great is Slash. He did what Axl now has 3 guys trying to do. I'm not taking anything away from them they all have their strong points but Slash had the whole package. Tell me after watching the clips from the Ritz show that you didn't get this big shit eating grin and say to yourself Thats the GREATEST BAND EVER.? As good as the new band may become with time it can never be what GnR were. Damn I miss those days. Cry

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 10:31:11 AM »

Man I thought last nights part with GnR was awsome. Only problem is it makes me want the original GnR lineup back. Slash is just as much GnR as Axl is. He owns Appetite. So much of what makes that album great is Slash. He did what Axl now has 3 guys trying to do. I'm not taking anything away from them they all have their strong points but Slash had the whole package. Tell me after watching the clips from the Ritz show that you didn't get this big shit eating grin and say to yourself Thats the GREATEST BAND EVER.? As good as the new band may become with time it can never be what GnR were. Damn I miss those days. Cry

you're preaching to the choir.... Yes the show was great last night, anyways it's all past tense talk when gnr is mentioned on these shows..
ritz was fucking awesome, all the guys played their parts in the band.. Wttj was great, you can watch any ritz you like on youtube if you get bored..
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 02:34:55 PM »

Why wasn't I born in the 60s or 70s so I could see the original lineup? Cry crying

shit happens when you party naked
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 02:42:37 PM »

Did I say Slash looked like shit?  Um, no.  Did you see Jani Lane?  Did you see Russel from Great white?  The guys from Quiet Riot?  Dee Snider?

Speaking of those dudes, they're exactly what I meant by moving on from the "old stuff".  All of those guys haven't done anything new in a VERY long time (if they have its been completely under the radar). 
As for your more than apparent love for Slash and VR, they only play 2 GNR songs b/c Scott can't handle 95% of GNR's material.

They only play 2 GN'R songs because they have an album of their own they can play songs from.  Jani Lane and Russel did look bad, but not all of them did.  In fact, I think most of the guys they interviewed look pretty good for their age.  Also, the guys from Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister are considerably older than Axl.  And in defense of Great White, Quiet Riot, Jani, Lane, and most of the other people who appeared on that show, they have been putting out new material on a consistent basis for years now.  You may not like it, but at least they're out there making music for their fans.

If people like those bands new material, good for them.  My point (that again you missed) was they the new material for these bands has been completely under the radar, the masses probably don't even know that those guys are still alive!  I was a HUGE 80s hard rock fan and I've never heard any of these bands new material (but was a fan of most of their old 80s stuff).  Now compare that to Guns who have only had leaks and bootlegs out since their last studio album - the buzz around this band is 1,000,000 time bigger then anything quiet riot has done since 1991 or Jani Lane's solo projects  rofl  When CD drops it will sell more in one month then all of the aformentioned bands have sold combined since 1995 through today.  GNR is still relevant, those bands are not.  Brett Michaels does these shows to look back fondly on the times while Axl is busy making music that matters TODAY (and hes been busy for a very long time hehe!) THAT is the point I was making.

And why you felt the need to bring up Slash and VR I don't know - I wasn't even thinking about Slash/VR b/c they are putting out music that IS relevant and popular.  If you want to talk about Axl vs. Slash/VR there are DOZENS of other threads to do so in.  This thread was about the VH1 show, not the old band vs. the new band.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 02:54:43 PM »

I'm not going to dignify Pig Vomit's post with a response.  Hanna, I could care less if new Poison songs are relevant to the masses or not.  They're good songs, and they're relevant to me.  That's all I care about.  Of course the buzz around GN'R is much bigger.  That's because GN'R was the greatest band ever...as crazymfer so accurately put it.  What's relevant to me may not be relevant to you, and vice versa.  Also regarding Poison, they still play large venues, and their new greatest hits debuted in the Top 20 on the charts.  So I guess their music is still pretty relevant to a great deal of people if they still get that kind of response.  And regarding that VH1 special...seeing those old pictures and the old concert footage friggin' kills me.  It makes me think of what could have (and should have) been.  They should still be ruling the world.  And they would be if that band was still together.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 03:14:20 PM »

I'm not going to dignify Pig Vomit's post with a response.  Hanna, I could care less if new Poison songs are relevant to the masses or not.  They're good songs, and they're relevant to me.  That's all I care about.  Of course the buzz around GN'R is much bigger.  That's because GN'R was the greatest band ever...as crazymfer so accurately put it.  What's relevant to me may not be relevant to you, and vice versa.  Also regarding Poison, they still play large venues, and their new greatest hits debuted in the Top 20 on the charts.  So I guess their music is still pretty relevant to a great deal of people if they still get that kind of response.  And regarding that VH1 special...seeing those old pictures and the old concert footage friggin' kills me.  It makes me think of what could have (and should have) been.  They should still be ruling the world.  And they would be if that band was still together.

Ahhh, now we're getting somewhere Wink   When I say relevant, I don't mean to me or to you, i mean to the masses.  and lets face it, those bands are nothing today, sad but true.  A greatest hits album isn't new material either btw.

yes, it is sad that old guns still isn't together, but its been that way for almost a decade!!!!!  Time to let go and move on.  For me personally, the rock scene is horrible right now.  You say GNR WAS the biggest band ever, I say they are poised to regain that title.  poison, motley, warrant and other bands like that will NEVER have a chance to be big again.  You and me could form a band and have a chance at that title b/c the rock music scene is so pitiful these days (I have a pretty good voice too hahaha).

KILLYOURIDOL
Banned
Opening Act

This site is filled with Axl nuthuggers

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 08:02:53 PM »

You say GNR WAS the biggest band ever, I say they are poised to regain that title.? poison, motley, warrant and other bands like that will NEVER have a chance to be big again.? You and me could form a band and have a chance at that title b/c the rock music scene is so pitiful these days (I have a pretty good voice too hahaha).

Motley Crue sold out show after show on thier last tour and they played 20,000 seat arenas(I personally hate MC). Yet a big deal is made that Axl sold out a 3000 person club. Just because we're GnR fans doesn't mean we should be blinded by the recent emargence of Axl and say these bands are nothing. They have thier Die Hards just like GnR does. 80's metal was a movement that GnR HELPED move into the mainstream. And while these other bands kept chugging along trying to reinvent themselves and stay relivent in the age of grunge and Nu-Metal Axl took his ball and went home, Only to return when metal was mounting a comeback(ie. Godsmack,Tool,RHCP having #1 albums recently) Axl can make this return extremly triumphent but he will never be as big as he once was. He's burned too many people too many times and a few sub-par leaks isn't gonna bring them back. I for one have been waiting for CD way too long for it to have the type of impact AFD had.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2006, 08:06:42 PM »

You say GNR WAS the biggest band ever, I say they are poised to regain that title.  poison, motley, warrant and other bands like that will NEVER have a chance to be big again.  You and me could form a band and have a chance at that title b/c the rock music scene is so pitiful these days (I have a pretty good voice too hahaha).

Motley Crue sold out show after show on thier last tour and they played 20,000 seat arenas(I personally hate MC). Yet a big deal is made that Axl sold out a 3000 person club. Just because we're GnR fans doesn't mean we should be blinded by the recent emargence of Axl and say these bands are nothing. They have thier Die Hards just like GnR does. 80's metal was a movement that GnR HELPED move into the mainstream. And while these other bands kept chugging along trying to reinvent themselves and stay relivent in the age of grunge and Nu-Metal Axl took his ball and went home, Only to return when metal was mounting a comeback(ie. Godsmack,Tool,RHCP having #1 albums recently) Axl can make this return extremly triumphent but he will never be as big as he once was. He's burned too many people too many times and a few sub-par leaks isn't gonna bring them back. I for one have been waiting for CD way too long for it to have the type of impact AFD had.

Whens the last time motley had a hit record/single?  I'm not talking about concerts.  Motley is more well known today for the sex tapes and vince neil/tommy lee reality shows then for their music.

GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2006, 03:13:29 AM »

yeah on they do something on nirvana, soundgarden, alice in chains on tonights show.

Hmm, they didnt' actually.? I have to say it was a pretty big cop out.? They went from Anthrax/PE "bring the noise" straight to Limp Bizkit, Korn and Linkin Park.? uhhhhh, there was a good 5+ years in between the two.? They basically ignored how Nirvana killed rock as we knew it metal/hard rock was virtually non existant for at least 5 years.? Kinda lame.

The guns part was awesome.? Really showed how metallica and guns was hard rock at its peak.

yeah i know they worked on nirvana/aic/soundgarden parts.... i guess the show was too long and they had to cut stuff out. it was wierd how they skipped that 5 years.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2006, 03:24:02 AM »

yeah on they do something on nirvana, soundgarden, alice in chains on tonights show.

Hmm, they didnt' actually.  I have to say it was a pretty big cop out.  They went from Anthrax/PE "bring the noise" straight to Limp Bizkit, Korn and Linkin Park.  uhhhhh, there was a good 5+ years in between the two.  They basically ignored how Nirvana killed rock as we knew it metal/hard rock was virtually non existant for at least 5 years.  Kinda lame.

The guns part was awesome.  Really showed how metallica and guns was hard rock at its peak.

yeah i know they worked on nirvana/aic/soundgarden parts.... i guess the show was too long and they had to cut stuff out. it was wierd how they skipped that 5 years.

very wierd, considering how HUGE of an impact the grunge era had on killing rock.  grunge was also a reflection on the times - they sucked.  but as soon as things turned around in real life, people didn't want to listen to the angsty/depressing songs and music started to be fun again.  they also completely ignored how r&b and hip hop got so big and began to dominate the music scene.  I'm glad they ignored all the 2000+ "rock" though.  Closing out with papa roach and good charlotte would have been depressing haha.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2006, 03:25:24 AM »

Why wasn't I born in the 60s or 70s so I could see the original lineup? Cry crying
why you aren't happy getting to see the cover band hihi Maybe it's better, then you'd have to watch axl and friends after knowing the real gnr your entire life...

Axl does sound great though..
gnrkid03
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2006, 03:28:12 AM »

They didn't touch on Nirvana and such because grunge isnt really considered metal. 
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2006, 03:31:01 AM »

They didn't touch on Nirvana and such because grunge isnt really considered metal.?

basically nirvana is what killed that era so... I never liked labels, I always though of AIC as metal, not grunge..

I love these metal shows.. beer
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2006, 04:18:17 AM »

They didn't touch on Nirvana and such because grunge isnt really considered metal. 

basically nirvana is what killed that era so... I never liked labels, I always though of AIC as metal, not grunge..

I love these metal shows.. beer

I think a key component of grunge/alternative is the lack of any real guitar solos or intricate guitar work.  A LOT (not all) of those bands couldn't play half as well as even the most average of hair bands could. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: