Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 11:12:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228157 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  VH1 4 part metal special
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: VH1 4 part metal special  (Read 4780 times)
Minneapolisnewsman
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:17:03 PM »

A little off topic, but GNR will be featured on Thursday night's episode.  It's 4 parts, and has been highly entertaining so far.  Just finished Priest, and now onto ACDC!!
illusionone
VIP

I never wanted you to be so full of anger. . . .

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:22:26 PM »

What time - i'll be flying Jet blue from LA back to Boston  8pm - that'll give me something to look forward to on the plane ride :-)

Wake up. . . .time to die
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:36:18 AM »

it airs at 9:00PM (EST) on VH1 with the replay at 12:00AM (EST) and another replay at 1:00AM  on VH1 Classic. All 4 shows are replayed on Saturday in a row from 7PM to 11PM.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 10:09:11 AM »

Fantastic show....its really a great overview of how metal/hard rock was born and how its evolved.  A lot of those VH1 shows are really kinda retarded and poke fun at the artists/music, but this one is much different - it has a documentary feel.
Can't wait for GNR, they probably will spend a lot of time on them.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 02:57:13 PM »

yeah my friend worked on this show. they spent over 1 year and a half doing it. they did a really good job. i think the guns n roses piece is on thursday. i didnt see it yet, but my friend said it is really good.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 04:35:33 PM »

My fave part about last night's show was the metal scene in the UK before it exploded.  The fans would bring cardboard cut outs of their guitarist's guitar, go to the clubs and get on stage and "play" their guitars.  As funny as it sounds, it wasn't meant to be a joke at all - infact they took it really seriously.  I think thats so awesome in a funny way.  The image of thousands of fans at Hammerstein with card board cut outs cracks me up  hihi

vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 08:33:02 PM »

Sounds good! Some of the stuff VH1 has been putting out on hard rock/ metal actually isnt too bad. Especially the 100 greatest artist of hard rock series, I look forward to that everytime I see its gonna be on!
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 08:37:40 PM »

Sounds good! Some of the stuff VH1 has been putting out on hard rock/ metal actually isnt too bad. Especially the 100 greatest artist of hard rock series, I look forward to that everytime I see its gonna be on!

number nine, number nine, number nine...

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
brock
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 10:16:40 PM »

yeah my friend worked on this show. they spent over 1 year and a half doing it. they did a really good job. i think the guns n roses piece is on thursday. i didnt see it yet, but my friend said it is really good.

I saw the preview tonight for the 4th part, can they not get Axl to do n interview??  Everything they use is from 1988 or so.
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 11:48:32 PM »

I saw the preview tonight for the 4th part, can they not get Axl to do n interview??? Everything they use is from 1988 or so.

Well I think one reason Axl wont do an interview is because he seems to not be happy with his appearance. For Axl to get done what ever he got done to his face shows he already wasn't confident with his looks and now im sure he regrets that, also hasn't he requested no photographs a lot? I'm pretty sure he did at the Eddie Trunk radio thing.
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 12:16:13 AM »

I saw the preview tonight for the 4th part, can they not get Axl to do n interview??? Everything they use is from 1988 or so.

Well I think one reason Axl wont do an interview is because he seems to not be happy with his appearance. For Axl to get done what ever he got done to his face shows he already wasn't confident with his looks and now im sure he regrets that, also hasn't he requested no photographs a lot? I'm pretty sure he did at the Eddie Trunk radio thing.

yeah he requested no pitctures at the eddie trunk thing. you also have to remember that axl only resurfaced a little while ago. they had the whole guns n roses piece put together long before axl would be around for an interview.
TOPGUNner
Rocker

Gonna call the president...

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 07:38:31 AM »

There would be no need for Axl to take part in the show because they'll be talking about the old GNR...the GNR that was famous and broke the metal scene. The new GNR has nothing to do with those times, and I highly doubt Axl is interested in focusing in on the past

Got a one way ticket on your last chance ride
Got a one way ticket to your suicide
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 07:41:11 AM »

I caught the very end of something on vh1 classic, it was eddie trunk, scott iann, even seinfeld,  sebation bach and some british dude... Sounded like I hear axl, slash cd, just the tail end..
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 12:04:56 PM »

There would be no need for Axl to take part in the show because they'll be talking about the old GNR...the GNR that was famous and broke the metal scene. The new GNR has nothing to do with those times, and I highly doubt Axl is interested in focusing in on the past

Agreed, I think Axl really wants to move on from the old stuff and focus on the new stuff.  I think if he were to be on the show it would be a signal that GNR IS the past - all the rockers on that show now are so old and tired looking.  Sure some of them are still touring/making music, but they are all well past their prime in terms of sound and success.  I think GNR/Axl is one of the very few bands/artists out there from the 80s rock scene that are still able to be relevant. 

Either way it should be an awesome show.  Really looking forward to it. They ended last nights show so well, really set the stage for how/why Guns was so well received and accepted.  I wonder if once Nirvana enters the picture the show will end.  Is grunge/post grunge music considered metal???  I honestly don't know.

GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 05:58:52 PM »

yeah on they do something on nirvana, soundgarden, alice in chains on tonights show.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 01:01:19 AM »

yeah on they do something on nirvana, soundgarden, alice in chains on tonights show.

Hmm, they didnt' actually.  I have to say it was a pretty big cop out.  They went from Anthrax/PE "bring the noise" straight to Limp Bizkit, Korn and Linkin Park.  uhhhhh, there was a good 5+ years in between the two.  They basically ignored how Nirvana killed rock as we knew it metal/hard rock was virtually non existant for at least 5 years.  Kinda lame.

The guns part was awesome.  Really showed how metallica and guns was hard rock at its peak.

warrocks
VIP

Dance Of Fate....we're not afraid...

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 01:03:44 AM »

awww those times were great!  miss them Undecided

..... Till Death Do us Apart.....GNR forever!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 02:13:18 AM »

Another interesting thing was how after Marilyn Manson (who peaked in the mid 90s really) they didn't talk about any other bands.  From Manson's height to today is almost ten years right?  Doesn't say much for todays rock scene.

It was really cool to see them address how the "old" bands are all doing comeback tours/albums that are very successful.  Just goes to show you that GOOD music will stand the test of time.  Bands like Priest, Sabbath/Ozzy, Maiden can still tour whereas the shitty hair bands (whos music, while fun at the time, kinda sucks now) are playing tiny tiny venues (if they are playing at all).

Goes to show how GNR will always be relevant and why the heavy AFD setlist isn't a bad thing...those are the songs most people want to hear.

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 02:21:49 AM »

Agreed, I think Axl really wants to move on from the old stuff and focus on the new stuff.? I think if he were to be on the show it would be a signal that GNR IS the past - all the rockers on that show now are so old and tired looking.

You obviously haven't seen one setlist from any Axl show from 2002 to the present.  Also, I don't think most of the rockers look any older or more tired than Axl.  Slash looks younger and healthier now than he did back in the 80's.  Also, a little side note...Velvet Revolver throws in 2 GN'R songs per set.  Who's moving on from the old stuff?

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 02:32:38 AM »

Agreed, I think Axl really wants to move on from the old stuff and focus on the new stuff.  I think if he were to be on the show it would be a signal that GNR IS the past - all the rockers on that show now are so old and tired looking.

You obviously haven't seen one setlist from any Axl show from 2002 to the present.  Also, I don't think most of the rockers look any older or more tired than Axl.  Slash looks younger and healthier now than he did back in the 80's.  Also, a little side note...Velvet Revolver throws in 2 GN'R songs per set.  Who's moving on from the old stuff?

I'm guessing you're a Slash fan? hahah.

Did I say Slash looked like shit?  Um, no.  Did you see Jani Lane?  Did you see Russel from Great white?  The guys from Quiet Riot?  Dee Snider?

Speaking of those dudes, they're exactly what I meant by moving on from the "old stuff".  All of those guys haven't done anything new in a VERY long time (if they have its been completely under the radar). 

As for the 2006 set list, he played 6 new songs.  Considering there isn't a new CD out yet, I'd say thats a pretty good sign of moving on.  "Old stuff" was also meant to include the old band - like it or not, its just Axl (and Dizzy hehe) and the new guys now - I could see why he wouldn't want to talk about the old band while hes trying to put out a new one.

As for your more than apparent love for Slash and VR, they only play 2 GNR songs b/c Scott can't handle 95% of GNR's material.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: