Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 06:10:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The reasons Axl wants a shredder in the band
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The reasons Axl wants a shredder in the band  (Read 6803 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 09:49:38 PM »

There is absolutely no need for a gimmick in Guns n Roses.  To an extent, a Shredder is kind of a gimmick.  Ya, they are cool if you play guitar, but if you are just a fan of music, it is kind of self indulgent.  Slash always played for the song.  Is he fast?  eh, not really.  He is more technical then Jimmy Page and Joe Perry, yet below Zakk Wylde and Randy Rhodes.  Slash is just Slash.  The perfect player for the sleazy gritty rock that GNR is famous for.  Rose and Slash were like Page and Plant of there time.  To me, anyone more advanced then the likes of Zakk Wylde is not needed in a Rock n Roll format.  GNR is a bluesy rock band.  I think with the addition of Bumblefoot and Bucket, maybe Axl wants to be more metal or progressive..... 

I will support this new band, but a shredder in GNR is kind of a waste of a shredder if you ask me.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 10:17:01 PM »

I think because Axl can. There are 3 guitarists of varying styles (all of which can and do perform solos) so there is an amazing variety for the guitar tracks of the new songs.

Thats it right there.   The band would be perfectly fine with just Finck and Fortus.  Both are extremely talented and are the best guys for the job ($lash is not missed now).   But having Ron Thal in the band just allows them to do more.  Plus it gives for a fuller sound live.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 10:28:27 PM »

This is called over-analyzing. Trust me I promise!

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 10:30:46 PM »

Why is there so much dislike of 2 rhythm guitarists anyway?

Judas Priest did it and people loved it!
warrocks
VIP

Dance Of Fate....we're not afraid...

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 10:52:46 PM »

maybe axl just spent some time listening to YES, Uriah Heep, Rush, OSI and realized what it takes to have an awesome band with techically skilled musicians. i think that's a good way if he wants to leave really behind the past , 'cause we all know what the word "rock n roll" meant to every individual ex member of GNr and now he just wants to focus on making/creating music. that's what i think. with BF i imaging a session of powerfull mixture of progressive with metal ?Shocked that'be amazing! ?smoking

Cheesy

..... Till Death Do us Apart.....GNR forever!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 01:36:58 AM »

It is worth noting however, that Slash is such an irreplacable loss, that Axl may feel he has to resort to finding a guitarist that is technically better as he knows he will never find anyone truly as magical to Guns as Slash was. So he is leaving nothing to chance from a technical level and can argue that these players are "better" guitarists from a technical standpoint. That, I feel is at the heart of his choice to have this type of player.

Thoughts?

either way, i really dont think it would be to just total Slash's guitar ability's, i mean.....no disrespect him, but Robin n' Richard IMO r' just as good, IMO, r' fuckin' brilliant n' more technical!!

The shredder thing i believe is its somethin' new to add to the GNR sound, not to say 'hey, this guy kills Slash, no bloody way!!

Get out now.

You must be delirious. I should get you sectioned.

truth hurts hey mate Grin Grin

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 02:04:35 AM »

I dont understand these people who think Finck and Fortus can do everything. BH was in the band for 4 years, only to be replaced by someone similar. Opinions may vary, but its obvious the material coming from BH/Bumblefoot is required for this new material, so why do people think it can be done by Finck and Fortus? If it could, would Axl have even hired BH in the first place? When BH left, that was the perfect time for Axl to say, "Hey!! We dont need BH or anyone like him. I have Finck and Fortus!!". Thats not what happened. Chinese Democracy is clearly designed to revolve around that type of player, and there's quite a few people that need to accept that. If they dont accept it, there are going to be alot of sad faces on CD release day. This might be breaking news to some, but the universe doesn't revolve around Finck.

daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 02:30:20 AM »

i think shred guitar was stuck in the 80's and lost for sometime, however i think axl has timed it correctly in a snese that all the young kids in high school who are in to rock music are hearing bands like, bullet for my valentine, avenged sevenfold, trivium, etc etc.

some may think that the music from these bands is shite, however one thing that is true about them is that the guitar parts are "shred" and tend to lean towards technical proffieciency while mainting some kind of musical integrity.

i think this is what axl has seen and so he reckons that shred guitarist is they way to go, and i tend to agree, but it must be done tastefully and not a hark back to the 80's!!!

cheers

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 04:50:56 AM »

What I find interesting is there was an interview with Axl and Slash way back in the appetite days where Axl specifically said he would not want a guitarist like Van Halen, and tho I dont believe he used the word "shredder" he basically said he would not want a shredder guitarist like van halen and prefers someone who plays with more bluesy feel like Slash.  So I guess things have changed
Yeah, things have changed, but that was twenty years ago.

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: