Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:32:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Good book on GNR?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good book on GNR?  (Read 6253 times)
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: May 22, 2006, 04:06:02 PM »

Hi guys.  My name is Keith and I'm a fan of GNR's... I used to be a big fan back when I was 10 (i.e. 15 years ago) and then GNR kinda fell off the earth... I just went to two of their shows in NYC last week and my addiction is back!  I downloaded all of their albums (except spaghetti incident) off itunes last week, and have been "rocking to the oldies" since...

Can you hardcore fans recommend me a good book to read up on GNR and the history of the band, some of the crazy stories, etc.  Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Keith
Wando
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »

The Band That Time Forgot.. by Paul Stenning(?)

The title fits in the situation pretty well  Tongue

Edit: For quick synopsis of GN'R's history I'd recommend HTGTH's history-page.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 04:11:36 PM by Wando » Logged
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:08:09 PM »

ok not slating you or anything it just struck to me if you were a big fan why didn't you have the albums back then??

just something i noticed not to pick on you or anything

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:14:39 PM »

spagetti is a great cover album.i love it

as for the book id recommend as said before.....

the band that time forgot......a good educated insight to whats happend, of corse an unofficial biography

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 04:15:48 PM »

ok not slating you or anything it just struck to me if you were a big fan why didn't you have the albums back then??

had them, but lost all my cd collection... i'm digital only regarding non-dance music (have 1000 vinyl and 300+ cds for dance music) and 1200+ m4ps via itunes... you stickler Wink
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 04:16:10 PM »

Edit: For quick synopsis of GN'R's history I'd recommend HTGTH's history-page.

thanks dude!  Smiley
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »

There is no "good book" on GNR. Only very bad ones.
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 04:51:59 PM »

Check out the 'History' and 'Articles' section of this site's main page. Some old Rolling Stone type articles & interviews. Also notes of the band from @ 1984-current.
Shirell
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 05:00:02 PM »

I read Band that time forgot by Paul Stenning and thought it was shit.  I havent read one decent book on GNR.  Always hoped one of the original band would write one.  Now that would be worth buying.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 05:06:29 PM »

Seriously, an Axl autobiography would be sick (with a movie to go along with it of course hehe).

I think the articles on this site are the best "book/history" of the band I've ever found/read.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 05:08:31 PM »

had them, but lost all my cd collection... i'm digital only regarding non-dance music (have 1000 vinyl and 300+ cds for dance music) and 1200+ m4ps via itunes... you stickler Wink

Dance music?!  nervous

*Resists the urge to rant*
Natasha23
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 05:25:55 PM »

Several years ago I had found Del James' email address and wrote to him.? ?I told him how much I enjoyed the Language of Fear and asked him about the GnR biography he was writing.
He said it was called Shattered Illusions (which is listed in the back of the Language of Fear inside cover) and said it would be released coinciding with the release of the new album.
...This was in 1997.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 05:33:23 PM »

the AFD book by sugarman is pretty decent

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 05:39:58 PM »

Several years ago I had found Del James' email address and wrote to him.   I told him how much I enjoyed the Language of Fear and asked him about the GnR biography he was writing.
He said it was called Shattered Illusions (which is listed in the back of the Language of Fear inside cover) and said it would be released coinciding with the release of the new album.
...This was in 1997.

If he is writing a book it would make sense to release it around the sametime as CD - not much GNR buzz in 97 that I can recall.  James is prob pissed b/c CD hasn't come out as planned so he keeps having to update the book Wink hehe.  Good things come to those who wait though, and I got nothing but time Smiley

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 05:44:34 PM »

I really enjoyed this book too.  yes ok

P.S. Thank you to a special friend out there . Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 06:11:41 PM »

The Band That Time Forgot is almost unreadable.  You can barely move for spelling errors...
Aside from that it just feels like a series of tabloid articles inexpertly strung together.

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
misterbrownstone
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 06:14:37 PM »

There is no "good book" on GNR. Only very bad ones.

haha, agreed.  they're all very slanted and biased.  and they're pretty poorly put together, The Band that Time Forgot is absolutly awful.
ben9785
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 06:38:30 PM »

hey just a idea

this might sound like it is meant in mockery but i would love to see a book detailing "the road to chinese democracy" or something like that...they can pick up at the end of the original GNR era, maybe detailing the last show they ever did as the original lineup, and then pick up from there, feature a whole lot of interviews with various producers, musicians, record company people, close friends and whoever, and just put together a book about the gradual process of Chinese Democracy, how Axl was feeling during that time, and stuff like that..

it also sounds like an idea for a dvd...i dunno just a random suggestion in passing

im sure people would love to hear the experiences of working with axl during the years, if he ever hit a wall creatively, stuff like that..i dunno
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 06:47:15 PM »

Not much to read besides a foreword by Axl Rose and the captions under the photos, but A Photographic History of GnR is really cool. Some great pics, and a little info.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
Shoeboy
Headliner

Got my mojo workin'...

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 10:51:09 PM »

Suprisingly, Mick wall's book; The Most Dangerous Band in the World ain't bad, if you can find it.  Lots of good dirt.  How much of it is true I've no idea.
I think Sugerman's book got a bit hokey with all the discussions of Dionysus and all.

Shoeboy
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: