Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Best Hammerstein Gig??
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best Hammerstein Gig??  (Read 2421 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« on: May 22, 2006, 02:23:22 PM »

So for everyone who was either there or heard the bootlegs, what does everyone think was the best Hammerstein gig? I was only there for the first show, but the setlist was awesome so I'd probably vote that way.

There are alot of ups and downs to each show so it's hard to pick I think.

May 12-First show, band was on FIRE. Axls voice sounded AWESOME. I haven't heard anything but the one poor sounding bootleg so I can only from memory and say the band was pretty tight for the most part. First time they ever played new material including the ONLY performance of There Was A Time.

May 14-They busted out with Rocket Queen but dropped everything new except Better. Plus Axl was having a very hard time vocally from the bootleg I've heard.

May 15-Really solid performance from the band and Axl sounded AMAZING again. Plus, the inclusion of IRS once again. Also, Robin & Richards rendition of Beautiful was awesome IMO.

May 17-I haven't heard any really good sound bites or songs from this show, but the little I've heard suggests that the band was awesome and Axl sounded great again. The obvious plus of Izzy playing on the same stage with Axl in AGES as well as the Kid Rock guest spot.

Thats all the details that spring to mind about the shows. Am I forgetting something? Either way, what does everyone think the best gig was overall?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:24:39 PM »

May 17.
colma
Rocker

I BBQ llamas!

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 02:26:19 PM »

I'd vote May 15th, but I'm biased.  hihi

To say what we are thinking.
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 02:26:31 PM »

I liked the first the best, 6 new songs out of a 19 song set = almost 33% new material.

That's all that matters to me is new material and how his voice sounds.

The guitar solos they each did, I could really care less about, none of them compared to what Buckethead can do.. they are all good guitar players, but not great enough to deserve solo time in my humble opinion, I'd rather have seen more new songs, than them getting solo time, especially if they are doing solos of stuff that is other artists...
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 02:29:56 PM »

I liked the first the best, 6 new songs out of a 19 song set = almost 33% new material.

The guitar solos they each did, I could really care less about, none of them compared to what Buckethead can do.. they are all good guitar players, but not great enough to deserve solo time in my humble opinion, I'd rather have seen more new songs, than them getting solo time, especially if they are doing solos of stuff that is other artists...

yeah I can see that side of things too. For me though it's cool see Axl showcase these guys in that fashion though. Whatever the GNR fanbase thinks of them at least it shows Axl seems to like and believe in them ya know? But I totally agree that the time would be better spent of more new material. I mean (besides his awesome guitar work in general) what better way was there to get the fans to like Robin than to announce that a song we all pretty much love was brought to the table by him.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 02:31:01 PM »

I was only at the 12th and 15th.  Tough to really compare the two as I was on the floor for the 12th and in the Mezz for the 15th.  The energy was beyond intense on the 12th, but I think they sounded better on the 15th (minus a few small parts of 1,2 songs where Axl was straining on some hard parts - but still sounded good).

I don't think any of the shows were bad from what I heard. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 02:32:40 PM »

id vote for the 15th, but thats bc i was there, the 12 could be up there bc it was their first show back and they played twat, the 17th could be the best too bc of izzy ... but either way i dont think you couldve went wrong

Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 02:34:43 PM »

yeah I can see that side of things too. For me though it's cool see Axl showcase these guys in that fashion though. Whatever the GNR fanbase thinks of them at least it shows Axl seems to like and believe in them ya know? But I totally agree that the time would be better spent of more new material. I mean (besides his awesome guitar work in general) what better way was there to get the fans to like Robin than to announce that a song we all pretty much love was brought to the table by him.

Well, it's obvious Axl believes in them if he has hired them to work on the new material, if he wants to showcase them let them play more new songs, so they can get more into the solos (because it's their own work, they will love playing it)... hearing them do renditions of an C.aguilera song really doesn't do it for me. I just can't wait until we can all be able to fully judge the new guys when we get a setlist that has 10 C.D tracks in it.. and 9 classic gnr tunes... hopefully we'll have that by next fall.. and you know what, I bet the new guys will be even happier when they get to play a setlist like that......
smeagol2124
Rocker

I will not go quietly

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 02:35:20 PM »

For me it went:

Fri
Wed
Sun
Mon

Friday for the return, the setlist. ?Wednesday for the guests (Izzy and Kid Rock). ?Sunday the band was dead on and we got the debut of the Richard and Robin killer guitar solo Tongue

All four nights were great, and I got to meet some great people along the way.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 02:36:11 PM »

id vote for the 15th, but thats bc i was there, the 12 could be up there bc it was their first show back and they played twat, the 17th could be the best too bc of izzy ... but either way i dont think you couldve went wrong

I'm hoping that high quality audio appears of the 12th and 17th shows like the 14th and 15th ones that have popped up. I'd really love to hear my show again plus the last gig would be great to have. Out of the two boots I have I think the 15th was WAY better then the 14th.

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 02:38:18 PM »

Well, it's obvious Axl believes in them if he has hired them to work on the new material, if he wants to showcase them let them play more new songs, so they can get more into the solos (because it's their own work, they will love playing it)... hearing them do renditions of an C.aguilera song really doesn't do it for me. I just can't wait until we can all be able to fully judge the new guys when we get a setlist that has 10 C.D tracks in it.. and 9 classic gnr tunes... hopefully we'll have that by next fall.. and you know what, I bet the new guys will be even happier when they get to play a setlist like that......

I completely agree all the way across the board. I don't think these guys hate playing the old stuff but I bet they have some stuff in the can they're just DYING to bust out for us.

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 02:41:48 PM »

The first night was magical, the dreamed night, almost perfect setlist, a memorable performance of ''There Was A Time'' and Axl's voice at it's best.

It's curious: we have lossless recordings of the 2 worst nights, in my opinion, and we have Jazjme mp3 for the best, by far, two night (first and last)

Anyway, all four nights were great, but I think night #1 and #4 were the best, specially the first one

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 02:46:04 PM »

the opener was magical. Everything about that show was PERFECT.

the 17 can be put up there as well because of Izzy

All the shows were excellent but for me the 12th was dead on perfect. from the 3 block long line outside to the microphone chuck....everything was perfect and magical in between.

overall it was a special week for gnr and us the fans. Gnr accomplished a lot with these shows. All thats left is the album. With these past shows they put their own stamp on the gnr name from a touring perspective. It was a coming out party for these members. You can tell by the way they performed that they meant it and were HUNGRY...

drop the album and keep this party going

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
kannon21
Opening Act

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 02:48:54 PM »

The first night was magical, the dreamed night, almost perfect setlist, a memorable performance of ''There Was A Time'' and Axl's voice at it's best.

It's curious: we have lossless recordings of the 2 worst nights, in my opinion, and we have Jazjme mp3 for the best, by far, two night (first and last)

Anyway, all four nights were great, but I think night #1 and #4 were the best, specially the first one

Totally agree man! Friday's concert was just magical love all the excitement of watching them play for the first time in like 3 or 4 years, plus hearing Better! and IRS and TWAT live for the first time ever, that was amazing. And wednesday, well one word, IZZY smoking

Kannon.
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 02:51:55 PM »

I'm gonna' have to say Wednesday, narrowly better than Friday.  I thought that on Wednesday, that might've been better than he EVER sounded, even back in the 90's. 
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 02:55:50 PM »

I'm gonna' have to say Wednesday, narrowly better than Friday.  I thought that on Wednesday, that might've been better than he EVER sounded, even back in the 90's. 

I gotta come up with good audio of that show so I can compare!

madagas
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 02:57:06 PM »

I went to 7 UYI shows including the 4 hour marathon in LA and Axl NEVER EVER sounded better than he did on Wed the 17th. Just my opinion.
Annie
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 02:57:47 PM »

I was there on the 15th and the 17th, both were great but I think the 17th was the absolute greatest GNR show that i have ever seen and that includes missing Buckethead because AXL was so happy! Cheesy
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 02:58:54 PM »

I went to 7 UYI shows including the 4 hour marathon in LA and Axl NEVER EVER sounded better than he did on Wed the 17th. Just my opinion.

Holy shit! That's quite an endorsement for the 17th show!!

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 09:29:43 PM »

I was there on the 15th and the 17th, both were great but I think the 17th was the absolute greatest GNR show that i have ever seen and that includes missing Buckethead because AXL was so happy! Cheesy

I hope the audio that surfaces for May 17 ends up showing off how good everyone says this gig was!

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: