Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:27:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228528 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Aol Article one interesting fact???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aol Article one interesting fact???  (Read 2554 times)
anythinggoes
« on: May 21, 2006, 03:07:37 PM »

this is the one listed by volcano62 in news section

ill list whole article and highlight the interesting fact??

Dec. 1997

A decade after they released their mammoth debut 'Appetite for Destruction,' Guns N' Roses self-destructed when Axl announced, via fax to MTV, that guitarist Slash was leaving the group. The series of departures would continue with bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum, leaving Axl as the band's only original member. He promised that his presence was enough to keep Guns firing -- and that a new album was on the way.

Feb. 1998

"I'll punch your lights out right here and right now," Axl screamed at a security worker at Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport. While that kind of banter may have received cheers from GN'R concertgoers, the airport personnel were less receptive, and Axl was arrested and spent a day in jail. One year later, he plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disturbing the peace and was fined $500.

Summer 1999

After eight years of studio silence, new GN'R music popped up in an unexpected place: the big screen. Axl's retooled band -- including members of Nine Inch Nails and the Replacements -- re-recorded 'Sweet Child O' Mine' for the Adam Sandler flick 'Big Daddy' and penned a track for Arnold Schwarzenegger's 'End of Days.' The title of the new, industrial-charged rocker nailed starved fans' reaction: 'Oh My God.'

Nov. 1999/ Jan. 2000

Axl told MTV that a new Guns N' Roses album entitled 'Chinese Democracy' would be released "early next year." He then previewed songs -- including 'Catcher in the Rye' and 'I.R.S.' -- for Rolling Stone, which described the sound as "Led Zeppelin's 'Physical Graffiti' remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor." The album didn't arrive that next year . . . or the next six. 

Dec. 2000

"I've been taking a nap for about eight years," Rose told a Las Vegas crowd on New Year's Eve in his triumphant return to the stage. His GN'R Version 2.0 rocked the House of Blues with mega-hits like 'Welcome to the Jungle' alongside cuts from 'Chinese Democracy.' Two weeks later, the band headed south and raised the stakes, headlining Brazil's Rock in Rio festival for a crowd of 200,000.

Dec. 2001 *Page 6 Has anyone seen that photo before i havent

Axl rang in 2002 the same way he did 2001, with a GN'R club gig in Vegas -- this time at the Joint. When a curious Slash showed up to join the party, he wasn't allowed in. "We didn't know what his intentions were," GN'R manager Doug Goldstein said. "If nothing else, it would have been a distraction. Axl was really nervous about these shows. We decided not to take any risk."

Aug. 2002

Thanks to pre-show leaks and host Jimmy Fallon's vintage GN'R T-shirt, the finale of the MTV Video Music Awards was a poorly kept secret -- but a blockbuster. Axl, sporting a black football jersey and long mane of cornrows wrapped in a blue bandana, closed the show with his new mates by tearing through 'Welcome to the Jungle,' the new song 'Madagascar' and 'Paradise City.'

Dec. 2002

The 'Chinese Democracy' North American tour stumbled out of the gate: The opening night in Vancouver was cancelled at the last minute, spawning a riot filled with smashed windows, attack dogs and pepper spray. GN'R managed to play subsequent shows, but when their Philly show was cancelled, another riot ensued. Tour organizers responded by axing the rest of the jaunt.

Aug. 2003

GN'R fans got another preview of 'Chinese Democracy' from an unlikely source: Mets catcher Mike Piazza. A New York radio station played a CD marked 'New GNR' that Piazza said he received in the mail. The station was flooded with calls -- including one from GN'R's management. The disc was returned to Axl's camp the next day at . . . a Mets game. Axl responded, "I've always been a Yankees fan."

Jan. 2006

After years as a rock 'n' roll ghost, Axl reappeared in a graveyard, surprising guests at the launch party for Korn's tour at Hollywood Forever Cemetery -- this time in a hockey jersey. The no-longer-reclusive rocker continued to make the rounds, popping up at the 'Sopranos' premiere, New York's uber-hip Misshapes party, a Derek Trucks show in L.A. and the Victoria's Secret Valentine's bash.

May 2006

"You can hold your breath a lot longer than David Blaine," Axl told the capacity crowd at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom. "I want to thank you for that." In their first show in over three years, GN'R tore through classics and new songs, and brought out Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach for 'My Michelle.' Axl proclaimed love for his new stomping grounds: "New York City, my new Paradise City."

The Future

Will Guns N' Roses make it through their current tour? Will 'Chinese Democracy' finally see the light of day? Will Axl lose the cornrows? Stay tuned for our live broadcast of GN'R's return to the massive Rock in Rio festival, May 27 from Lisbon, Portugal. We're expecting the unexpected.

http://music.aol.com/photo-galleries/where-has-axl-rose-been

So Axl didnt cancel the tour it was the promoters maybe they chickened out

sorry if its the wrong section

GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 03:08:48 PM »

Dec 97 slash leaves?  i thought it was Oct 96

anythinggoes
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »

Dec 97 slash leaves?? i thought it was Oct 96

good point

October 30th, 1996 - Slash leaves GN'R! Axl sent a fax to MTV which said that Slash hadn't been a part of GN'R since 1995. Despite this there will be a new GN'R record.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 11:25:41 PM »

Dec 97 slash leaves?? i thought it was Oct 96

good point

October 30th, 1996 - Slash leaves GN'R! Axl sent a fax to MTV which said that Slash hadn't been a part of GN'R since 1995. Despite this there will be a new GN'R record.

At this point dates that far back, i have no clue about... But i thought after the fax, slash came back in the band for a short time... Only to ummm....Leave
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 11:43:48 PM »

The reason the 2002 was cancelled is because CC told Axl he has to post a $1m bond before every show incase a riot happened again, axl said no so CC pulled the plug.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:00:23 AM »

I have seen that page six pick.

That is when Axl got skinny again at the second new years show.  Even skinnier than he is now.  He was f'n shredded in the abs and had cheekbones again.   

NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 12:42:26 AM »

The reason the 2002 was cancelled is because CC told Axl he has to post a $1m bond before every show incase a riot happened again, axl said no so CC pulled the plug.

i think folks on the boards know that CC was unimpressed with the riots, low ticket sales etc, and wanted an out...but this is the first ive seen it on a media outlet.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Mr.Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 07:18:08 AM »

Dec 97 slash leaves?  i thought it was Oct 96

good point

At this point dates that far back, i have no clue about... But i thought after the fax, slash came back in the band for a short time... Only to ummm....Leave

Axl sent the Fax in early 1997 but Slash had left at the end of 1996.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: