Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 09:14:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Overall thoughts on the warm up shows.....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overall thoughts on the warm up shows.....  (Read 4552 times)
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« on: May 18, 2006, 05:28:57 PM »

Now that I've been home for a couple days I've really had a chance to think about these shows and I think they were nothing short of an amazing success. In my opinion Izzy Stradlin taking the stage with Axl Rose was not a slap in the face of the new members, but was an utmost show of respect by Izzy and Axl toward one another. It seems to me Izzy wanted to be there to wish this new incarnation of gnr well, and Axl wanted his old bandmate/friend up there who helped write a lot of the old classic tunes to jam out with him before he embarked on a huge comeback tour. It's quite possible that Izzy's eyes welled up with tears because in that moment he realized what Gnr still was to so many people and what? the new gnr is going to be when the new cd is released.
There is something special about when a great champion returns to defy the odds and recapture his glory, there is something special when a person or a sports team rises to the occasion when people simply say that they can't, that's why we all root for cinderella storys, that's why we all like movies like Rocky, that's why we still wait for Axl Rose. We all know how great Axl Rose was with his original set of musicians, we all want him to be that great again, and I think that's what Izzy was feeling up there. There was his old friend Axl, who had been knocked down, but not knocked out over the last 4-5 years, there was the hardcore fans cheering him on, singing word for word, cheering just as loud for Izzy as they were for Axl.. and that emotion probably touched his soul.. I wish I could have been there to see it live. I'm so happy for all of you that did.
Lastly, these shows have helped unite the fan base, I think Robin Finck, Richard Fortus, Tommy Stinson, Pittman and Brain have solidified themselves in being valid parts of this band. I don't want to leave Bumblefoot out, he proved he is a good guitarest and I look forward to checking out his music more, he seems like a great guy. Finally, we all seen how happy Axl Rose looked up there on stage.. he had that look in his eye that has been missing for too long... he was hugging on all the members... something happened that we don't know about in the last 4 years.. he looked at peace with himself, he looked better than ever, I don't know what he was talking about when he said that Sebastion "saved his life" or when he said "I met Sebastion when I was trying to save my life and he was trying to destroy his"... but something great happened in Axl's life and lit a fire under him... I'd just like to thank everyone involved in the pre-sale, the message boards, and all the great gnr fans for coming from all around the world to see these shows. I believe these four shows will ultimately be the catalyst for the greatest comeback in rock n roll history. In the end I believe Axl will have ruled the music in parts of 3 different decades. peace
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 05:30:45 PM by Mr.Intensity » Logged
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 05:34:03 PM »

Good post - I think thats some insightful stuff about Izzy.

I would also say the shows were a smashing success. Think about how differently we think of the band now - Axl is back to himself, Robin has come out, the lead guitar player doesnt look like a freak and the band seems happy. Setlist complaints aside I think GnR are really giving their fans a treat (in Europe and the US anyway  Tongue)
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 05:40:10 PM »

Yeh good post agree with most of that  ok

I think the Bach saved my life comment was in reference to Bach sending Axl to a voice therapist when he lost his voice on the after the 1st show. He's probably got a good point, if Axl hadn't made the second show it could have been catastrophic, so well done Baz  yes

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 05:42:10 PM »

Yeh good post agree with most of that? ok

I think the Bach saved my life comment was in reference to Bach sending Axl to a voice therapist when he lost his voice on the after the 1st show. He's probably got a good point, if Axl hadn't made the second show it could have been catastrophic, so well done Baz? yes

Yeah, but am I the only one that thinks Axl looks more happy/confident now than he did in the pics taken from 2000-2005... am I the only one who sees that the old look in his eye is back???
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 05:43:15 PM »

no you aren't the only one, he looks refreshed happy and sounds amazing, all the shows were a hit..
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 05:45:16 PM »

the " old look" in his eyes ...

Life is back into them, but he seems fully " loved" too. Wink

Maybe axl has found happiness at last.

Nothing to say
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 05:46:29 PM »

Awesome. That's all I can say.

Axl sounded amazing - far better than most 02' shows.

One things for sure - Rock In Rio is going to be AMAZING
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 05:46:48 PM »

Well if they were 'warm up' shows, I can't wait to see what we've got in ?store for us Brits ok

The whole vibe feels so much better this time round

My only dissapointment from the reviews is was there was no mention of a single, video or album. Hopefully Axl is saving this for Rock In Rio.

Here today...ready to rock
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 05:48:19 PM »

yeah! The Axl we came to love is back! Thats for sure! Thay all looked happy,

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 05:49:07 PM »

I'm thrilled with the way the shows went. ?I unflortunately didn't attend any but from all accounts they were more fantastic than any of us could've predicted. ?The only things that could've made them just a tad better would've been one NEW song or possibly an appearance by Brian May to play CITR. ?Other than that, A+++. ?They're back baby!!!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 05:55:09 PM »

if i remember correctly there was a moment during ycbm on the 15th, where axl usually says with your ass in the air, and again if im remember correctly he didnt scream it into the microphone but had a big smile on his face, when the crowd actually sang that part.? they all looked like they were having fun, i really appreciated him mentioning that we re the diehard first day ticket buying motherfuckers or something like that, but we re all diehards, so hopefully their new found enthusiam will lead to big things for the rest of the year.? im just so surprised how much better, and i mean like 100000x better the band was during these 4 shows, then really any point in 2002
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 06:10:26 PM by GnR-NOW » Logged

Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 05:57:24 PM »

if i remember correctly there was a moment during ycbm on the 15th, where actually usually says with your ass in the air, and again if im remember correctly he didnt scream it into the microphone but had a big smile on his face, when the crowd actually sang that part.? they all looked like they were having fun, i really appreciated him mentioning that we re the diehard first day ticket buying motherfuckers or something like that, but we re all diehards, so hopefully their new found enthusiam will lead to big things for the rest of the year.? im just so surprised how much better, and i mean like 100000x better the band was during these 4 shows, then really any point in 2002

Yeah, I remember the "with your ass in the air" part too... because I always sing that part!! I did see him kind of smile when the crowd yelled it.. you know he had to think that was cool...
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 06:00:02 PM »

I only made it to last night's show, but that turned out to be an awesome decision. Axl and the band were on the top of their game, Izzy's appearence was just awesome, and i loved baz and kid rock. I was so close to Axl's platform last night i couldnt believe it. It was by far the best concert I've ever been to, I don't know how anything will top it. Hopefully the full tour following CD's release will be a huge success, but i dont think it could top last night.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 06:04:45 PM »

From someone who didn't attend, I can only say that things looked to go pretty well. Great reception from the fans all four evenings. Good performances given each night by the band. New songs received well by fans. New songs performed well. Some special apearances. Wink And some good reviews.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
AxlGunner
VIP

Ryu says: I am NOT a llama!

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 06:07:33 PM »

intensity-

great post, i agree with everything you said. it was also good to finally meet you, albeit briefly, on friday i believe (i was with dark/craig). anyway, axl seems completely rejuvenated (i think part of it is that he loves the new york lifestyle) and the band has totally reconnected with the fans in a way that it wasnt quite able to do in 2002. good job all around!

now you know me better
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 06:08:53 PM »

I think the Bach saved my life comment was in reference to Bach sending Axl to a voice therapist when he lost his voice on the after the 1st show. He's probably got a good point, if Axl hadn't made the second show it could have been catastrophic, so well done Baz? yes

Yeah, but am I the only one that thinks Axl looks more happy/confident now than he did in the pics taken from 2000-2005... am I the only one who sees that the old look in his eye is back???

No I agree with you, I didn't go to any of the shows but from what I've seen so far he seems so much more into these shows than anything in 02. The old Axl is back ?ok Even little things like he's running around again, I know it's not much but he hasn't really shown that energy since the UYI tour. He has his swagger back, in 02 from what I have seen he seemed somewhat lost in the show like a sheep in headlights, but even just from pics from these shows he looks like he knows he's the greatest living frontman today and he wants his throne back ?peace

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
badapple81
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 06:09:48 PM »

I think Izzy is the most respected former member of GN'R amongst the community, so for him to effectively endorse this new band and the fact that it is now 'Guns N' Roses' and endorse what Axl is doing by appearing on stage with them, is really a big compliment and thing for Axl and the other guys in the band. Hopefully a lot of fans can join this too ?ok
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 06:10:40 PM »

No I agree with you, I didn't go to any of the shows but from what I've seen so far he seems so much more into these shows than anything in 02. The old Axl is back ?ok Even little things like he's running around again, I know it's not much but he hasn't really shown that energy since the UYI tour. He has his swagger back, in 02 from what I have seen he seemed somewhat lost in the show like a sheep in headlights, but even just from pics from these shows he looks like he knows he's the greatest living frontman today and he wants his throne back ?peace

I think he wants it and he's going to take it soon, only Halford can stand in his way... hihi
Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 06:13:24 PM »

I only made it to last night's show, but that turned out to be an awesome decision. Axl and the band were on the top of their game, Izzy's appearence was just awesome, and i loved baz and kid rock. I was so close to Axl's platform last night i couldnt believe it. It was by far the best concert I've ever been to, I don't know how anything will top it. Hopefully the full tour following CD's release will be a huge success, but i dont think it could top last night.

There's no doubt that the shows were a great success and i'm happy about that, especially the Izzy appearance which just blows me away. But, there is a LONG WAY to go. Only in the fall when Chinese Democracy is released (tentatively) will we see whether or not the new incarnation will be able to continue onward and upward. Remember, there are a lot of pissed off people in North America especially who got fucked over by Axl's no shows and the aborted 02 tour. There's the lingering legacy of the original members and the seminal strength of the back catalogue to deal with. There's the 13 year wait for a new record, the press with their knives at the ready to trash it if CD isn't a classic and then there is the much changed face of music to think about. Remember, hard rock ruled in the late 80's early 90's but that's not the case now, and this is a band that is used to multi million selling records too. It will be an eventful rollercoaster ride for sure... like we're not used to that by now. ?hihi
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 06:23:48 PM by Saul Isobel » Logged
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 06:18:15 PM »

I saw all 4 shows, and you could almost see the band gel more and more each night. The last time I saw "GnR" was in '93 so the only constant is Axl and Dizzy. The little time that Dizzy had in the spotlight (The Blues), he made the most of it. That little intro he does of The Beatles will become a classic GnR intro, in my opinion. Axl looked like a kid on Christmas morning. The louder the crowds were the bigger the smile on his face grew. You could tell he was impressed and appreciated the crowds response to him and the entire band, even if we are a bunch of "Downloading Motherfuckers" and "Thieving Bastards" rofl

Robin just impressed the hell out of me, and yes he nailed all the solos this time so I hope everyones happy now. From the stagediving, to walking around in the security pit and laying back into the crowd, to the jam with Richard on Christina Aguileras "Beautiful", I feel Robin shone the brightest during these 4 nights.

I loved that the audience spent more time chanting "GnR" than for just Axl.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »