Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 09:49:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228142 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  May 17th show thread POST YOUR REVIEWS IN THE GNR ON TOUR SECTION PLEASE!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 17th show thread POST YOUR REVIEWS IN THE GNR ON TOUR SECTION PLEASE!  (Read 98774 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #800 on: May 19, 2006, 04:31:18 AM »

I have no doubt that New GNR has some spectacular stuff just waiting in the wings, but hiding it all from the world does nothing to help their cause.
Thats what really troubles me. We know new GNR kicks ass. Most of the CD songs we've heard are amazing. I cant even imagine the stuff we haven't heard, and them having this AFD fetish makes no sense, and basing a tour on it is a joke. If the album isnt ready, then dont tour. Simple as that. Just as the new members were finally getting over the "hired guns" label after everyone got to hear a few demos, we are now getting AFD shoved down our throats(again), and the hired guns thing will start rearing its ugly head again.

mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #801 on: May 19, 2006, 04:37:45 AM »

I have no doubt that New GNR has some spectacular stuff just waiting in the wings, but hiding it all from the world does nothing to help their cause.
Thats what really troubles me. We know new GNR kicks ass. Most of the CD songs we've heard are amazing. I cant even imagine the stuff we haven't heard, and them having this AFD fetish makes no sense, and basing a tour on it is a joke. If the album isnt ready, then dont tour. Simple as that. Just as the new members were finally getting over the "hired guns" label after everyone got to hear a few demos, we are now getting AFD shoved down our throats(again), and the hired guns thing will start rearing its ugly head again.
True, but what does the general public know and want from Guns N Roses? They want the hits. Yes us fans all want the new stuff, but the majority of the masses want what Guns N Roses are known for. Maybe once CD is finally released and all the new stuff is out to the entire public then maybe we will see less AFD songs.

What songs dont you want on the tour?? I couldnt imagine any Guns show without WTTJ, ISE,MBS,PC,NT and RQ

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #802 on: May 19, 2006, 04:40:11 AM »

the new group should play staples, wttj, pc, nr scom..

Just to mix it up a bit...

They need to release music period so the fans have a clue and will get excited when something new is played..

The first ten rows are always hopping at these shows because they are more die hards..
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #803 on: May 19, 2006, 04:48:53 AM »

True, but what does the general public know and want from Guns N Roses? They want the hits. Yes us fans all want the new stuff, but the majority of the masses want what Guns N Roses are known for. Maybe once CD is finally released and all the new stuff is out to the entire public then maybe we will see less AFD songs.

What songs dont you want on the tour?? I couldnt imagine any Guns show without WTTJ, ISE,MBS,PC,NT and RQ
The setlist has to be revamped to be taken seriously. If all the world wanted was hits, then every show on the 2002 tour would have sold out. The "people want hits only" theory doesn't have a leg to stand on anymore. The 2002 fiasco killed that theory.

He has to ditch the old shit, even if its hard picking which songs to ditch. I would like all new stuff, but I know thats not possible. A perfect setlist for new GNR would be new material with the huge GNR hits included(Jungle, SCOM, PC, NR). Just drop everything else old. All of the old stuff is great, but that doesn't mean it has to be played. For new GNR to have a chance and succeed Axl is going to have to dump a large amount of the past. The people who think the new band can succeed on AFD are delusional.

mlewis
Rocker

« Reply #804 on: May 19, 2006, 05:10:36 AM »

The setlist has to be revamped to be taken seriously. If all the world wanted was hits, then every show on the 2002 tour would have sold out. The "people want hits only" theory doesn't have a leg to stand on anymore. The 2002 fiasco killed that theory.

He has to ditch the old shit, even if its hard picking which songs to ditch. I would like all new stuff, but I know thats not possible. A perfect setlist for new GNR would be new material with the huge GNR hits included(Jungle, SCOM, PC, NR). Just drop everything else old. All of the old stuff is great, but that doesn't mean it has to be played. For new GNR to have a chance and succeed Axl is going to have to dump a large amount of the past. The people who think the new band can succeed on AFD are delusional.

Just to divulge for a second, I'd like to kill this myth that 2002 was a fiasco. There seems to be a prevailing bout of collective amnesia on this board, in that nobody seems to recall that the European and Asian shows they did then were a huge success- I've got a great clipping from broadsheets in London reviewing the Docklands gig. They played, and sold out  a good number of shows and festivals, with great reviews, and won many new fans.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #805 on: May 19, 2006, 05:19:27 AM »

IN a sence james  on that last post I agree with you, BUT if you read the review  I believe was in the NY Daily News, to kinda pharaphrase, so many and aside from the die hards on the boards, have never ever seen axl before, never seena GNR show, now go back to the trunk interview , whre axl said he felt pressured to do the 2002 shows, well damn makes sense now. Hes at the stage where he is finally commited to this ready to unleash what he has, yet onh the other hand , what didnt actually finish or begin in 2002 is now happeneing. And trust , I met so many GNR fans over the last week who never saw GNR before , and love what and who they are now. And they are so stoked that they got to hear the classic stuff, somethign that probably wont happpen again after cd is released save for a few staples. and for axl and the band to give that to fans is treuly awesome. Say what you will but I think hes doin it the right way now. And Ill tell ya the crowd at the shows was 80& under 30 and 10% old school gunners. !

and the other 10%were fucking kids with parents, fuck there were like a group of 5 10 yrs old with thier parents, on the floor, 3 rows fromthe stage.lol, I had to yell at a drunk ass who was trrying to push up and grabed the mofo and said asshole SONT you fucking see the3se kids here, CHECK yourself, the people around me joine dforce, and the dudes firned apologised and helped drag away his dunbass friend. THen 5 mins later 8 huge body building guys came and made a wall between the kids and the rowdy asses.lol
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:25:23 AM by jazjme » Logged

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #806 on: May 19, 2006, 05:55:20 AM »

Just to divulge for a second, I'd like to kill this myth that 2002 was a fiasco. There seems to be a prevailing bout of collective amnesia on this board, in that nobody seems to recall that the European and Asian shows they did then were a huge success- I've got a great clipping from broadsheets in London reviewing the Docklands gig. They played, and sold out? a good number of shows and festivals, with great reviews, and won many new fans.
I notice your post and list of facts ends before it gets to the most vital part: the NA tour. You didnt kill the myth. You reinforced it. Alot of fans in those countries didnt know what was going on with GNR, and the shows sold out. Listen to bootlegs of those foreign shows, you hear the where's slash chants over the fucking music. In NA, people knew more about CD, and as soon as people knew there was no chance of an album, they didnt buy tickets.

Jaz: I agree with most of what you're saying. Like I told some of my friends, its great that the people who never got the chance to see GNR were able to do so in NY, and if you never seen them in the past, you obviosly want to hear some old stuff. But what you said doesn't really discount the point. They cant live off AFD forever, even there's a few who never seen it performed. You will be seeing half empty arenas again when the tour starts over here. Without CD, this tour ends before it ever gets here, or he will have to do small club tours here to guarantee sellouts. Its impossible to fill twenty thousand seat arenas in every city with people who want to relive AFD. They will save their money for a reunion tour if they want that.

jazjme
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #807 on: May 19, 2006, 05:58:53 AM »

I agree, thats why I dont believe they are gonna do that again, come fall and if (as (I believe) cd will come , it will be a who new ball game. ok

11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
mlewis
Rocker

« Reply #808 on: May 19, 2006, 06:00:46 AM »

Just to divulge for a second, I'd like to kill this myth that 2002 was a fiasco. There seems to be a prevailing bout of collective amnesia on this board, in that nobody seems to recall that the European and Asian shows they did then were a huge success- I've got a great clipping from broadsheets in London reviewing the Docklands gig. They played, and sold out  a good number of shows and festivals, with great reviews, and won many new fans.
I notice your post and list of facts ends before it gets to the most vital part: the NA tour. You didnt kill the myth. You reinforced it. Alot of fans in those countries didnt know what was going on with GNR, and the shows sold out. Listen to bootlegs of those foreign shows, you hear the where's slash chants over the fucking music. In NA, people knew more about CD, and as soon as people knew there was no chance of an album, they didnt buy tickets.

Why is the NA tour more important? They played too many shows in too small markets- that was the mistake there, rather than anything else. The big cities sold out, or nearly; you're a little patronising about the European crowds too- maybe they didn't know about lineups, etc- but they were huge, festival crowds- and on general boards, and anecdotally- these guys loved it. That's much, much more important for the long term future of the band than whether the die-hards are happy.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #809 on: May 19, 2006, 06:41:06 AM »

I'm not "patronizing" Europe. If thats the message you got from that post, then clearly I'm debating the wrong person on this subject. As far as those festivals go, big deal. I'm not even a musician, but if I was on the bill for a festival and it sold out, would you give me the credit? GNR are an american band, and even people who hate them know who they are and have heard of CD. Its a pop culture myth. GNR doing a CD starts now tour with soon not being the word bit that tour on the ass. Like I said, that shit may fly on your side of the globe, but it doesn't fly here. you dont hype an album for 8 years here and then name a tour after it and not deliver. If thats whats happening again, expect the same results. I dont care what cities you pick to play here, without CD the arenas will not sell out.

jazjme
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #810 on: May 19, 2006, 06:53:25 AM »

I'm not "patronizing" Europe. If thats the message you got from that post, then clearly I'm debating the wrong person on this subject. As far as those festivals go, big deal. I'm not even a musician, but if I was on the bill for a festival and it sold out, would you give me the credit? GNR are an american band, and even people who hate them know who they are and have heard of CD. Its a pop culture myth. GNR doing a CD starts now tour with soon not being the word bit that tour on the ass. Like I said, that shit may fly on your side of the globe, but it doesn't fly here. you dont hype an album for 8 years here and then name a tour after it and not deliver. If thats whats happening again, expect the same results. I dont care what cities you pick to play here, without CD the arenas will not sell out.

Which is why for me , now after seen the pics of GNR doin the same thing circa 87 playing one offs in small clubs acoutically and stuff , is really making them gell, and your right, they wont come back to the us till after cd is released after they have built up a buzz that the ringing in the ears wont stop. ahh just like 87 all over, fuckn amazing!

11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #811 on: May 19, 2006, 07:34:24 AM »

yeah no way when they come back to the states will they do a super heavy old lineup show...  it would still sell great but not give the new band their own identity, can't keep playing 5 or 6 new songs only and more old ones forever..
crofty
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #812 on: May 19, 2006, 09:00:12 AM »

I think the toss up is that people know the AFD songs, and outside our little circle, not may have heared the CD songs. and anyone at any gig for any band likes to hear the songs they've enjoyed at home sung live. now we all know the CD songs rock ass. but they're not familiar to the majority. If i weren't such a big fan and went to see GNR, having not heared the new stuff I'd be dissapointed because the band i like has mostly new members and doing mostly new songs I can't groove to because I've not heared them. I think that'll all change once CD is out, then we'll get a lot of new stuff.
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #813 on: May 19, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »

I think the toss up is that people know the AFD songs, and outside our little circle, not may have heared the CD songs. and anyone at any gig for any band likes to hear the songs they've enjoyed at home sung live. now we all know the CD songs rock ass. but they're not familiar to the majority. If i weren't such a big fan and went to see GNR, having not heared the new stuff I'd be dissapointed because the band i like has mostly new members and doing mostly new songs I can't groove to because I've not heared them. I think that'll all change once CD is out, then we'll get a lot of new stuff.

i agree with you there  ok great point crofty  smoking
Schwarzgold
VIP

KAWUGI!

« Reply #814 on: May 19, 2006, 11:31:53 AM »

We always and in every discussion come back to the same point - CD has to be released.  Undecided

Restraint is for suckers.
Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #815 on: May 19, 2006, 12:50:41 PM »

ahh just like 87 all over, fuckn amazing!

Not even close buddy. '87 was a phenomenon that will never be repeated.? Cool
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 12:54:18 PM by Saul Isobel » Logged
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #816 on: May 19, 2006, 01:41:44 PM »

I'd drop Live And Let Die, Brownstone, My Michelle...

And bring in two totally new tunes and an unexpected old classic like "Estranged" or "Don't Cry".  beer
madagas
« Reply #817 on: May 19, 2006, 02:23:44 PM »

James, if you were in that place on the 17th, you'd be singing a different tune-with or without the album. It was a classic and the new tunes were amazing sounding. The whole vibe right now is infinitely different and better than 2002. The band is fuckin' killer. It just feels like this is the time and the album will drop. Maybe I'm still buzzing from the BEST hard rock show I've EVER seen-call the band whatever you want but they are solid and they brought the goods.  peace Jaz, great to meet you. I think Jaz may be the biggest fan on all the boards! Old school and new school. He loves them both....so do I. Literally, watching Izzy and Tommy together almost made me shit my pants! ok
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #818 on: May 19, 2006, 02:25:36 PM »

I'd drop Live And Let Die, Brownstone, My Michelle...

And bring in two totally new tunes and an unexpected old classic like "Estranged" or "Don't Cry".  beer

they should keep michelle imo. the 05. 15 version of that song is amazing. axl`s voice was rarely better ever...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #819 on: May 19, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »

Its pretty simple.

How can Axl expect fans to move on from the old band, when he cant?

Playing almost every song off Appetite and inviting old members to steal the thunder of the new guys who have worked very hard and have to endure tons of criticism and pressure isnt the right thing to do.

I understand as fans u guys were jazzed to see Izzy.

But for a new band tryin to write a new legacy, it just knocked them 5 steps back.

Look at reviews, look at fans, look at rumors.

now the rumors of a reunion are stronger than ever and AXL has himself to blame and no one else.

nice gesture but not a good idea in the long run for the success of this new band.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: