Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 03:34:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Favorite slash work???
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite slash work???  (Read 20122 times)
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2006, 09:11:53 AM »

"Serial Killer" has to be his most technically proficient work.

Agreed - Serial Killer is an awesome song!?

I really enjoy both Snakepit albums (especially the second album).? ?It's Five O'Clock Somewhere is good, and for a long time, I thought it was far superior to Ain't Life Grand.? After listening to the second album for awhile, it really grew on me.? There's some great guitar work on it!

Although Slash's GNR riffs are the best imo, the Snakepit albums are seriously underrated.?

?

Ain't Life Grand could have been better if Rod Jackson wasn't such a tool and his lyrics weren't sooooo fucking terrible..

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2006, 09:28:05 AM »

don't damn me solo

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2006, 10:54:45 AM »

Snake pit....

Neither can I...
gnr1967
Rocker

One person's morality is another person's nonsense

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2006, 01:26:46 PM »

Ain't Life Grand could have been better if Rod Jackson wasn't such a tool and his lyrics weren't sooooo fucking terrible..

True, the lyrics could use some improvement, but I feel Slash's guitar work makes up for it on some of the songs.  Despite Rod being a "tool", I definitely like his voice better than Eric Dover's or, for that matter, Scott Weiland's. 

In any event, there are some good riffs on all the albums - hard to pick a winner. 
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2006, 01:41:40 PM »

For me it was always the solo to DTJ.  it's the perfect solo in my opinion, especially how he "morphed" that solo live into Voodoo Child, then went to Civil War afterwards.

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »

For me it was always the solo to DTJ.? it's the perfect solo in my opinion, especially how he "morphed" that solo live into Voodoo Child, then went to Civil War afterwards.

that is one of my favorite peices of his ever live

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2006, 02:49:40 PM »

The lyrics on Snakepit II were the MOST mature lyrics any Slash band has ever recorded!!!
There wasn't any whining or haterate crap on that album (not saying there is any on Snakepit I or VR).
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2006, 08:48:51 PM »

don't damn me solo

Yeah, that's an awesome solo! beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
RichardNixon
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2006, 07:16:04 AM »

I would have no idea where to start...

But here goes...

Best riffs or solos--WTTJ, PC, Dead Horse, NR, Estranged, Locomotive, Be the Ball, Back and Forth Again, Loving the Alien.
MarioGunner
Rocker

I should've known you're crazy

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2006, 01:11:43 PM »

Hmmmm

My favorite solo of all time is Sweet Child O Mine so I will Start there... Honestly though, all the lead playing on Appetite is amazing....

I also love the acoustic solos on "Your Crazy" and "One In A Million"...

I think over for an over all song "Loco-motive" is just a masterpiece guitarwise (It's a masterpeice in all other aspects too).. From beginning to end it is just Slash at his absolute best.. Also his best work on UYI's
The first Snakepit had some Killer Slash stuff too.... "Neither Can I" is a great guitar song that comes to mind and he tears it up on "Soma City Ward" too...

Someone mentioned the "You Got No Right" solo which is up there with his best as far as I am concerned...? "Dirtly Little Thing" also....

He always tears the shit up during "Knockin On Heavens Door" live... The acoustic version from Argentina is great... But I have some boots from Illusions when he just goes off forever.. "Ilegal I Song" live is just great too....

The collaboration with Lenny Kravitz on "Always On The Run" is awesome too....

It is too hard to pick one favorite so there are a few that came to mind....

gotta throw in the Slither riff? too? ok

Hmm, for me his best work on the UYI was Coma, riffing and soloing, but i gotta admit that i have so much fun playin locomotive, might be my second pick and third, Civil war tied with Don?t Damn Me

You can run like a river
Till you end up in the sea
And you run till night is black
And keep on going in your dream

My NEW Trading Space http://www.freewebs.com/mariogunner/
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2006, 04:37:19 PM »

Hmm, for me his best work on the UYI was Coma, riffing and soloing, but i gotta admit that i have so much fun playin locomotive, might be my second pick and third, Civil war tied with Don?t Damn Me

You can play Loco-Motive???    Shocked

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2006, 08:40:31 PM »

You can play Loco-Motive?Huh ? Shocked

I can play parts of it, not the whole song, but it's definitely fun to play.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2006, 08:42:44 PM »

For your consideration:

Reckless Life - blistering solo
Move to the City from Live Era - when he comes in on the extended band part

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2006, 11:48:02 PM »

Locomotive has got to be the most complex Slash song ever.  There is so much going on there.  The Sweet Child solo is simply perfection.  Cannot be topped.  Paradise City outro solo is the fastest I have ever heard Slash.  Coma too.  Neither Can I and Back and Forth Again are great as well.  It is hard to pick a favorite from my favorite player.

Here is Locomotive live with Beck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMq3G8rdWlk
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2006, 02:28:13 AM »

I always thought ain't life grand had that 80's sound, I love shine, back to the moment is a great tune overall.. I think the album has good vocals and playing it has a real swinging vibe going..
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2006, 03:39:27 AM »

I always thought ain't life grand had that 80's sound, I love shine, back to the moment is a great tune overall.. I think the album has good vocals and playing it has a real swinging vibe going..

aint life grand is my favorite snakepit album, great songs on there, rod sounds much more suited than dover did IMO

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2006, 05:55:46 PM »

aint life grand is my favorite snakepit album, great songs on there, rod sounds much more suited than dover did IMO

they are so different, it's like weiland to axl in sound... I think anyone can like one of those albums, such different singers..

Speaking of slash's greatest works, just listen to UYI 1, he owns that fucking album....

There's times I could care less about the song, but the riffs and solos are amazing
MarioGunner
Rocker

I should've known you're crazy

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2006, 09:04:52 PM »

You can play Loco-Motive?Huh ? Shocked

Hehe yeah, luckly i can and as i say, it?s really fun doing, it took me sometime to learn it,  don?t think it was easy, and after all the work put into it, it was definitely worth it, hehe

It?s one of the songs i practice always so i don?t ever forget it, and it?s a great finger warmer, at least for me

You can run like a river
Till you end up in the sea
And you run till night is black
And keep on going in your dream

My NEW Trading Space http://www.freewebs.com/mariogunner/
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2006, 02:28:29 PM »

Speaking of slash's greatest works, just listen to UYI 1, he owns that fucking album....

There's times I could care less about the song, but the riffs and solos are amazing

Agreed... There are some songs on those albums where the vocals just get under my skin these days... Some are still classic though too.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2006, 03:37:59 PM »

Agreed... There are some songs on those albums where the vocals just get under my skin these days... Some are still classic though too.

For me there are songs like the garden where I am just in awe of the guitar work... Blistering solos, deep long solos.. Everytime I listen to coma it's like wow....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: