Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:21:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R @ Download festival!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R @ Download festival!  (Read 75842 times)
madagas
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2006, 09:43:24 AM »

James, get a fucking clue-seriously. I'm 39 years old and went to 7 UYI shows. Did you go to that many? I love both the old band and the new. Obviously, you were on a little too much meth back in the day and just missed Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby/Zoo Tv tour (87 to 92). U2 actually played stadiums worldwide. The only time Guns played stadiums in the Us was with Metallica-another huge group. During that time, U2 was selling out stadiums in the Us by themselves. They did not need a crutch or huge supporting act. It is real simple. U2 has more album sales and more concert tickets sold than Gnr-wwwaaaayyy more. NyTUNZ, if the Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are "pop" albums, then I will gladly call myself a "pop" fan. But, being a Tool fan and Gnr fan and a massive Bob Dylan fan, you should know me better than that. yes
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 09:45:58 AM by madagas » Logged
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2006, 09:45:37 AM »

The old band isn't bigger than U2 either... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes? rant Never was....never will be.

From 91-93 they were the biggest band on the planet. At that time they were more popular than U2.
madagas
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2006, 09:47:10 AM »

No they weren't-please refer to above post.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2006, 09:58:09 AM »

James, get a fucking clue-seriously. I'm 39 years old and went to 7 UYI shows. Did you go to that many? I love both the old band and the new. Obviously, you were on a little too much meth back in the day and just missed Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby/Zoo Tv tour (87 to 92). U2 actually played stadiums worldwide. The only time Guns played stadiums in the Us was with Metallica-another huge group. During that time, U2 was selling out stadiums in the Us by themselves. They did not need a crutch or huge supporting act. It is real simple. U2 has more album sales and more concert tickets sold than Gnr-wwwaaaayyy more. NyTUNZ, if the Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are "pop" albums, then I will gladly call myself a "pop" fan. But, being a Tool fan and Gnr fan and a massive Bob Dylan fan, you should know me better than that. yes

I absolutly respect your view on U2. I know for a fact that you are one of the people on the htgth that knows good music, from my point of view.
But i dont agree with you on the U2 part. I dont think U2 ever will get as big as GNR was, and i dont think they will get that much cred in the rock/metal socciaty.
I dont have anything againt U2, but i dont think that they make good music. Maybe for the easy public, but not "listeners" and beeing a Tool fan, i guess u know
what i mean. I dont know how many years, months, weeks or days, it will be until the next BIG BAND will take over the world, but what i do know is, it has have never happend in the Size of GNR. Also, remember that GNR, dident last in the original setup more then some years.. U2 have been around.. hum.. 25? So, they have had alot more time to release cd`s and tour.. ?Anyway, GNR is not music for everyones ear. Tool is not music for everyones ear. But i guess U2 can make music to the same genere as the poptop. And that says why they sells...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:00:29 AM by Nytunz » Logged

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2006, 09:59:39 AM »

James, you were on a little too much meth back in the day
When you start resorting to cheapshots like that, then your posts are irrelevant to me.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2006, 10:05:18 AM »

Search the RIAA cert's
Joshua Tree sold 10 million albums (the best selling u2 album)
Achung Baby has sold 8 million albums
Rattle and Hum 5 million
Zooropa didn't even go platinum

Appetite sold 15 million.
UYI 1&2 have sold a combined 14 million
Lies has sold 5 million

All of those albums are from that time period......... Who was the more popular band??
madagas
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2006, 10:14:37 AM »

I'm talking worlwide album sales and worlwide concert ticket sales during that timeframe (87 - 93)-not album sales from 93 on and career totals-even though U2 HAS MORE ALBUM SALES IN THE US than Gnr-check riaa again-bestsellers (50.5 million to 36.5 million). Concert ticket sales are every bit as important as album sales. Whatever generates revenue. Gnr fans simply exaggerate the truth-fanboy mentality. Guns was big-no doubt-clearly top two, right there with U2. Just not as dominating as we like to think they were.? peace
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:20:11 AM by madagas » Logged
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2006, 10:17:05 AM »

Im sure some of you will get a good kick out of this http://forum.readingfestivalonline.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15451 Especially the part where "axl rose child aka arc" is going around saying slash is back   rofl
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2006, 10:19:46 AM »

The old band isn't bigger than U2 either... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes? rant Never was....never will be.
If you really believe that, then your either one of these new fans that didn't really experience the GNR craze and thinks they know it all, or you just hate the old band. The only thing that rivals GNR 87-91 is Beatlemania.

I'm with James on this one. There is no doubt that they were close but GnR was the single biggest act in the world in 91-93 bar none IMO. You can see (from the quotes below) that UYI tour had approx 7mill fans attend while zoo tv had only 4mill fans although GnR played about 35 more shows. (but 3mill people over 35 shows is like 85,715 people per show which is highly unlikely) Metallica wasn't a crutch, it was a coheadlined tour. people went to see both bands not just one or the other. (and not like i wanna drag Metallica into this but GnR helped them complete their turn to the sell-out side hihi )

U2's last good album was Actung baby IMHO. And U2 was/is a different musicical genre than GnR.

Also U2's first album was in like 1980 and already had 5 albums by the time AFD came out. and have released 4 since UYI's. (not including 2 gh's) Duh they obviously have more total record sales and concert sales. (we're not talking money grubbing U2 of today we're talking U2 in 91-92 vs GnR 91-92.)

Quote from: wikipedia
"The Use Your Illusion Tour was a concert tour by the rock band Guns N' Roses which ran from May 24, 1991 to July 17, 1993. It was not only the band's longest tour, but one of the longest concert tours in rock history, consisting of 192 shows in 27 countries. It was also a source of much infamy for the band, due to riots, late starts, and outspoken rantings by lead singer Axl Rose.

The Use Your Illusion Tour was a promotional tour for the albums Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II, although due to the scale of the tour, the term "promotional tour" is perhaps a trivialization. The tour started on May 24, 1991, shortly after Use Your Illusion I was recorded, but a few months before Use Your Illusion II. The tour marked a high point in the popularity of Guns N' Roses, with a total of over 7 million fans attending, and accompanied by high worldwide album sales. It was a feat that the band was never again able to repeat."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_Your_Illusion_Tour

Zoo TV was a massive, elaborate, innovative, postmodern, multifaceted and multimedia, and very commercially successful world concert tour by the rock band U2 that took place in arenas and stadiums during 1992 and 1993. Different phases of the tour were also known as Zoo TV ? The Outside Broadcast, Zooropa, and Zoomerang.

If U2's 1991 album Achtung Baby was, as lead singer Bono said, the sound of four men chopping down The Joshua Tree, then Zoo TV, the accompanying tour, was the sight of four men trying to reject the white-flag-waving, achingly earnest stage performances that had typified their previous tours in the 1980s. The tour demonstrated immense confidence in the new album, typically opening with six to eight consecutive new songs before playing any old material, surrounding the songs with bewildering visual effects and a subversive take on the band's collective persona.

The tour began in Lakeland, Florida on February 29, 1992 and ended almost two years, five legs, 157 shows, and over four million audience members later in Tokyo, Japan on December 10, 1993. It was the highest-grossing tour of 1992.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_TV_Tour

Highest grossing means most money made, cuz they prolly raped the fans on ticket prices, cuz the tour cost so much to run. anybody know the cost of a ticket for the UYI's tour as opposed to a ticket for Zoo TV Tour? just curious
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:27:01 AM by Neemo » Logged

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #209 on: February 07, 2006, 10:26:54 AM »

I am only listing the albums from that period, and of course U2 has greater album Sales over all, They have put out more albums not to mention atleast 3 greatest hits and 3 or 4 live albums (guns has 1 of each).

But from that periods albums sales, GnR blows U2 away. If I could somehow find a away to quantify concert sales from the start of 91 thru 93 I think you would find that GnR would be on top there as well. (Edit- Nice find Neemo) Any one have ticket scans from the Zoo tour, we can get the GnR prices from gnrontour.com

Using anyother date range is stupid thats like currently trying to compare ticket sales between the Rolling Stones and the Darkness (they are at different points in their careers and played in much smaller venues due to it), but 91-93 would be GnR and U2 in their prime (unless you count u2's current top 40 resurgence (beautiful day, vertigo........))
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:29:58 AM by C0ma » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2006, 10:29:28 AM »

Im sure some of you will get a good kick out of this http://forum.readingfestivalonline.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15451 Especially the part where "axl rose child aka arc" is going around saying slash is back? ?rofl
So that is the top secret info they held over our heads and refused to tell, then they go to some forum we never even heard of and tell it? Thats pathetic. In the tiny chance that its true, I assume Dizzy has been fired for calling Slash a drug addict.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #211 on: February 07, 2006, 10:30:07 AM »

BTW

GnR 7,000,000 fans over 192 shows is 36,458 fans per show

U2 4,000,000 fans over 157 shows is 25,478 fans per show

Tongue

madagas
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2006, 10:32:02 AM »

I understand you can argue either side of the coin. I'm just taking the piss with U2. Gnr was on that level but comparing Gnr to Beatlemania is ridiculous. For christ's sakes, I am not even talking about how big Metallica was in 92-93 or Nirvana. You guys just act like Gnr was the only big rock band on the planet during that time and that is silly.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2006, 10:32:57 AM »

You guys just act like Gnr was the only big rock band on the planet during that time and that is silly.

nah just the biggest  Grin

madagas
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2006, 10:33:52 AM »

and what about the Joshua Tree tour from 87-88??-quote me some really credible stats on that.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2006, 10:35:56 AM »

Please stop the GN'R vs U2 discussion. It's pretty pointless in a thread that has nothing to do with U2.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2006, 10:37:39 AM »

Last time Jarmo Wink

and what about the Joshua Tree tour from 87-88??-quote me some really credible stats on that.

The Joshua Tree Tour sold out stadiums around the world, the first time the band had consistently played venues of that size. The Joshua Tree and its singles had become huge hits and the band was at an apex of their popularity. Tickets for shows were often very hard to get, especially on the first American leg when they only played in arenas.

111 shows. 3 legs. and prolly not all that impressive attendance cuz of arena shows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Tree_Tour

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2006, 10:38:12 AM »

Im sure some of you will get a good kick out of this http://forum.readingfestivalonline.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15451 Especially the part where "axl rose child aka arc" is going around saying slash is back   rofl
So that is the top secret info they held over our heads and refused to tell, then they go to some forum we never even heard of and tell it? Thats pathetic. In the tiny chance that its true, I assume Dizzy has been fired for calling Slash a drug addict.

They knew no one would believe them here so they went to a forum where they would be believed and therefore get attention. Pathetic isnt it?Not only is it pathetic, it just proves they don't know shit.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2006, 10:40:25 AM »

It is pointless to look at 87-88 and compare GnR and U2. They were at different stages in their careers, U2 was touring on their 6th album. Guns N Roses were touring on their freshman album, in support of other bands like Aerosmith (do I get to count tickets from the Pump tour??)

Edit: sorry Jarmo, just saw the warning after I posted...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:43:19 AM by C0ma » Logged
Origen
« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2006, 10:43:09 AM »

Im sure some of you will get a good kick out of this http://forum.readingfestivalonline.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15451 Especially the part where "axl rose child aka arc" is going around saying slash is back? ?rofl

If you are referring to ARC then don't believe a word he says. I knew of him on mygnrforum, he knows jackshit  beer
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: