Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:23:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R @ Download festival!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R @ Download festival!  (Read 75733 times)
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #280 on: February 07, 2006, 11:15:46 PM »

So last summer, Axl had 6 songs done.

In Jan., he told RS that 26 were nearly done(8 months later if you figure summer to be in June).

I see that as a positive sign that the record (CD) is possibly finished and he's working on a followup album like W AXL ROSE poster suggested. peace

This is what he heard.  He had no way to clarify if this was true or not.  What he heard was studio shop-talk and rumors.  For all he knows, it could have been someone reading an article where Slash said that once, and then repeating it in the studio when he asked.  Really, he has no contacts with anyone in GNR.
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #281 on: February 07, 2006, 11:19:06 PM »

Well, fuck me.

Let me change my smiley to this----------------------->        crying
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2006, 11:21:30 PM »

it could have been someone reading an article where Slash said that once.
Actually, Slash said there were only 2 songs finished. So the 6 finished songs info must come from someone else.

Francisco_Trento
« Reply #283 on: February 07, 2006, 11:22:46 PM »

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=14683

Not sure if it has been posted already, but Metallica confirmed their shows in their official site

Here's what we have so far:

* June 3 Nurburgring, GER - Rock Am Ring Festival

* June 4 Nurnberg, GER - Rock Im Park Festival

* June 8 Arnhem, HOL - Gelredome

* June 10 Donington UK - Download Festival

* June 11 Dublin IRE - Download Festival
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #284 on: February 07, 2006, 11:27:18 PM »

Well, fuck me.

Let me change my smiley to this----------------------->? ? ? ? crying

Take this for what it's worth. ?He did talk to Mike Clink (said Clink was a funny son of a gun) once, in a studio or party, and he said that Clink hinted that Izzy's loss was devastating and the main reason for the delay in new material. ?He said Clink thought the new guy's were talented, and could write, but that Izzy wrote to Axl's strengths and knew his tendencies and soul (not verbatim, but you get the jist). ?My friend, I should note does much studio work, and is also producing some mid-level artists, and some that are becoming more well know. ?He also, since we were young has thought Izzy was god, and might add little tid-bits to make Izzy look better. ?But, I think I have read in other spots (Steven Tyler say's this), that many insiders predicted that it was over, as far as new material was concerned, when Izzy left. ?He was the main songwriting force, and Axl the lyrical force on all four albums with original material.

BTW, I love the new Victoria's Secret commercial!! ?Go UNC!!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #285 on: February 07, 2006, 11:36:09 PM »

Clink hinted that Izzy's loss was devastating and the main reason for the delay in new material. ?
I dont need Mike Clink to tell me that. hihi We've known that since the release of TSI.

dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2006, 11:37:28 PM »

Not sure if it has been posted already, but Metallica confirmed their shows in their official site

gnronline.com still says NOTHING.
Oh well.
Another day another dream shot to hell. hihi
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2006, 11:42:07 PM »

If that's the case, then GNR would most likely avoid these shows, as Metalica live is a fairly well-tuned force that could blow the socks off even a reformed GNR. ?If a reformed GNR had about ten tune-up shows, then doing these shows could be realistic. ?VR, was exceptional at Live 8!! ?But, crazier things have happened, and I still think that there is a major push by the promoters at Download, and other festivals (RIR for sure) to get GNR to reform--heck the whole damn concert & record industry, esp. the rock side of things, would embrace it wholeheartedly!! ?I would imagine Metallica will play with a vengeance.

One thing I might ask, though, why did a reformed Van Halen fail so bad on their reunion? Nothing is a sure bet success. They really bombed, and there was not much interest. ?For some reason though, I think GNR are far more enigmatic/sexier (not just in a physical way) and relevant in the current state than Van Halen--esp. with the success of VR amongst younger rock fans (high school kid's love them)!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #288 on: February 07, 2006, 11:46:28 PM »

Metalica live is a fairly well-tuned force that could blow the socks off even a reformed GNR. ?
rofl rofl Thanks for the laugh. Thats the funniest thing I've seen posted here in awhile.

Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #289 on: February 07, 2006, 11:50:29 PM »

Metalica live is a fairly well-tuned force that could blow the socks off even a reformed GNR. ?
rofl rofl Thanks for the laugh. Thats the funniest thing I've seen posted here in awhile.

They are a major force live, even with some time-off.? Have you ever seen them live?? If not, your statement is foolish at best.? Metallica is a power-metal-machine live.? Don't fool yourself.? I love GNR far more than Metallica, but many nights they upstaged GNR in 1992.  Note, that I think GNR would be fine with tune-up shows. 

If you have not seen Metallica live, go see them.  They are very, very good.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 11:52:22 PM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #290 on: February 07, 2006, 11:53:01 PM »

Metalica live is a fairly well-tuned force that could blow the socks off even a reformed GNR. 

They are a major force live, even with some time-off.  Have you ever seen them live?  If not, your statement is foolish at best.  Metallica is a power-metal-machine live.  Don't fool yourself.  I love GNR far more than Metallica, but many nights they upstaged GNR in 1992.

GN'R blew Metallica away in '92. Obviously thats what the majority of the responces are gonna be (this is afterall a gnr site) but I think its a given that GN'R was much better preformance wise than metallica back then.

gnrevolution.com
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #291 on: February 08, 2006, 12:00:21 AM »

Metalica live is a fairly well-tuned force that could blow the socks off even a reformed GNR.?

They are a major force live, even with some time-off.? Have you ever seen them live?? If not, your statement is foolish at best.? Metallica is a power-metal-machine live.? Don't fool yourself.? I love GNR far more than Metallica, but many nights they upstaged GNR in 1992.

GN'R blew Metallica away in '92. Obviously thats what the majority of the responces are gonna be (this is afterall a gnr site) but I think its a given that GN'R was much better preformance wise than metallica back then.

What show?  I personally thought GNR was better, but many people who were not fanatics of either band certainly thought Metallica was better on many occasions.  I thought they were both phenomenal, both times I saw them in 92!  James Hetfield is a very good live performer--that really is beyond argument.  For the love of women and wine, after all, they are Metallica!
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #292 on: February 08, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »

I don't know. ?Neither Axl or Hetfield can sing their old stuff live anymore. ?Have you heard Hetfield try to sing Master of Puppets in the past 8 years? ?Hell, he has the audience sing half the song for him!

With Bucket in the band, the new gnr was every bit as good as metallica, live. ?Without him, I think Metallica wins hands down. ?Bucket was that important.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #293 on: February 08, 2006, 12:04:24 AM »

I don't know. ?Neither Axl or Hetfield can sing their old stuff live anymore. ?Have you heard Hetfield try to sing Master of Puppets in the past 8 years? ?Hell, he has the audience sing half the song for him!

With Bucket in the band, the new gnr was every bit as good as metallica, live. ?Without him, I think Metallica wins hands down. ?Bucket was that important.

Well, yes and no.  Ever heard of Slash!!  LOL!  I think he would be a nice replacement (tongue firmly planted in my cheek) for Bucket!!   I would love to see this board if GNR announces a few live dates in the near future!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #294 on: February 08, 2006, 01:14:03 AM »

?your statement is foolish at best
 Don't fool yourself.
 many nights they upstaged GNR in 1992.?

I dont see what was 'foolish' about my statement. most everyone here has seen metallica perform live in some capacity, whether its in person, on tv,etc. In those years, there wasn't a band on earth that could blow GNR off the stage. For you to say otherwise is just asking for an argument from people here, and I'm not falling for it. Dont bother replying to this post, or any of my posts. I'm tired of your "foolishness".? ?

Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #295 on: February 08, 2006, 04:50:24 AM »

I don't think a reunion will happen soon. I'm quite confident it will happen sometime in the far future, but not now.

Will Gnr play Download or Rir?? Maybe or maybe not, but if they do, it will be the current band.

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #296 on: February 08, 2006, 05:10:18 AM »

a)? release CD, get flogged by the media and destoy future/potential financial earnings (reunion would still draw if album is good), but maybe score a major artistic & personal success.

b)? Reform the old band, tour the world , rake in millions, and hope to God that they can put out one more relevant-classic album.

c)? release CD, play a few one off shows with the original band to build all kinds of GNR hype (helps CD sales), and then either tour theatre's (would be their best forum for artistic merit and intimate shows) with the new band, or make a great album with the classic line-up and tour again.

or to preserve his enigma status--totally disapear (does not look like that is happening with all the high profile public appearances--he knows that his Vegas appearances will be reported).

good post - I think you summed up Axls options here very well - it is indeed a precarious position for him to be in, albeit entirely of his own making

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
neilh666
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #297 on: February 08, 2006, 06:10:09 AM »

If that's the case, then GNR would most likely avoid these shows, as Metalica live is a fairly well-tuned force that could blow the socks off even a reformed GNR.? If a reformed GNR had about ten tune-up shows, then doing these shows could be realistic.? VR, was exceptional at Live 8!!? But, crazier things have happened, and I still think that there is a major push by the promoters at Download, and other festivals (RIR for sure) to get GNR to reform--heck the whole damn concert & record industry, esp. the rock side of things, would embrace it wholeheartedly!!? I would imagine Metallica will play with a vengeance.
Download is a 3 day festival so if they played then they would never see the 'Tallica boys. They would play on a different night.? Probably a good thing if Axl is still bitter about the comments made in the Year and a Half in the life of Metallica video.? Download festival have just offically announced Download Ireland taking place the same weekend in Dublin.? Only 'Tallica so far...

Two random thoughts with zero evidence so please don't make anything of them.

1:? Rock am Ring in Germany is 3 days too (the weekend before Download).? The only bands worthy of headlining are Depeche Mode and now Metallica which means there is probably a spare headline slot.? ?

2:? I've heard stuff saying Download is announcing its lineup Thursday (tomorrow).? With that in mind if you were an Los Angeles based band looking to make a major major announcement I wonder if there are any events taking place this evening (you know like ones that are televised live on CBS) that would be a good place to make that announcement.

Once again these are just my own spurious thoughts and are in no way based on fact or rumour.? Much more likely to be false than fact etc.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 07:00:56 AM by neilh666 » Logged
DemocracyRose
« Reply #298 on: February 08, 2006, 07:39:45 AM »

I know that this has nothing to do with the Download Festival....

But GNR are not going to play the Reading/Leeds..

No To Reading/Leeds?
Written by Administrator? ? ?
Wednesday, 08 February 2006?
Melvin Benn has said that Guns N'Roses will not be appearing at the Leeds/Reading festival this year in the UK.

Benn has admitted though that he would welcome back GN'R to the festival that they played in 2002.

sp1at.com

NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #299 on: February 08, 2006, 08:43:39 AM »

One thing I might ask, though, why did a reformed Van Halen fail so bad on their reunion? Nothing is a sure bet success. They really bombed, and there was not much interest.  For some reason though, I think GNR are far more enigmatic/sexier (not just in a physical way) and relevant in the current state than Van Halen--esp. with the success of VR amongst younger rock fans (high school kid's love them)!!

Being someone who wasted money on the VH 'reunion' i can tell you it was probably the high ticket price ($100) and word of mouth about how awful the performances were-eddie was drunk to the point he couldnt play (at least at the show i saw, and from what i hear many others) and it was blatlantly clear that the guys couldnt stand each other and it was just a cash venture. i couldnt say if it was because the kids didnt care or not-they probably couldnt afford it in either case!

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: