Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 03:40:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  should gnr play more new songs at their shows?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: should gnr play more new songs at their shows?  (Read 9361 times)
slashnbuckethead
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2006, 02:42:58 PM »

theres too many people who waited way too long who havent gotten a chance to ever hear certain songs live so at least for this tour they should play more older songs... esp with no new album out.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2006, 02:44:58 PM »

Well it seems weird that they are filming a dvd so soon..... Why release a DVD after an album has droppped that has no radio single on it? So either they are currently playing the next radio single or.......Well who knows. Maybe it is just for a video.

i say a video...check out the "new" songs that have been played so far each night

May 12,
Better, Madagascar, The Blues, Chinese Democracy, There Was A Time, IRS

May 14
The Blues, Better, Chinese Democracy

May 15
Better, Madagascar, IRS, Chinese Democracy

the only 2 that have played all 3 nights are CD and Better....and they have been waering the same clothes each show.....hmmmm they are getting some live footage for something... i wonder what the setlist tommorrow will be like?

and i am staying with my theory that a single and video will debut this summer during the euro tour ok
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 02:46:35 PM by Neemo » Logged

crofty
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 03:13:17 PM »

Nope.  They're playing just the right mix of songs right now.  Remember, a lot of people at these shows have never heard Better, IRS, and TWAT before.  These songs are new to a majority of concert goers.  Throw in Maddy and The Blues and there's about 1/3 of a show of new material.

I agree with fif. yes i do.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2006, 04:05:35 PM »

I think we should just be happy we're hearing ANYTHING at all.  Up till this last year things weren't looking so hot.  I want to hear the new album as much as anyone, but I'll settle for the classic tunes for now.  Once the new album comes out (fall hopefully) I'm sure the setlist will go through some big changes but until then Axl doesn't want to give you the entire album before you have a chance to buy it.  We've already heard 7 new songs that could potentially be on the album.

Rock on Axl!!!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2006, 04:08:00 PM »

You will nto get to hear new shit until Axl is 100% certain CD is coming out and they are near that date of release. He isn't gonna play his new shit for the bootleggers to have a field day on. The set list will have a lot more new shit once the CD drops.

who cares about bootlegs and leaks...if the music is good, people are still going to buy the album...whether they've heard the songs or not.

why would anyone choose to listen to some shitty live recording rather than buying the actual album?

people want the studio versions...and people buy the albums for sentimental value...to add to their collections...

the fear of bootlegs and leaks getting onto the net is not an excuse to play a bunch of old-ass songs that were recorded by another band.

Because Axl prob wants to debut his new material, the shit he is really banking on when its closer to go time or maybe not even until the CD is dropped. He doesn't want critics bashing it before it even hits the stands.. And well know negative press will follow Axl everywhere. Besides.. Too a lot of fans(the ones who are not of the forums, yeah there are a lot of them) this is still all new to them. They buy tickets to hear their favorites and I would too. When CD is dropped it will change a lot wit the GnR camp. Less older material and more new..

it's like the other poster said earlier:

they played tons of new stuff on the 91 tour before UYI were released...axl even said "it would be a pussy thing to do" to just play old shit from "appetite."

this new gnr just isn't behaving like a letgitimate band with its own original music.  if i was in that band, and i'd spent 10 years recording tons of original music, i'd want to play it and show the world what i've created...i wouldn't play a bunch of old songs that were created by someone else.

they need to start playing their own music - the new band needs to step up and BECOME the new guns n roses...because right now they look like a bunch of desperate musicians who are willing to mooch off of the popularity of another band's songs, just to make a quick buck from touring.

BE YOUR OWN BAND, NEW-GNR...

There is more on Axl now then before. Everyone and their mother in the media expects them to fail. When he feels he is ready to let the public in on some CD tracks he will.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Lowrlder54
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2006, 04:13:40 PM »

He obviously does not play new stuff, because he is not confident in it. I really doubt it has anything to do with the fear of it being leaked on the internet.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2006, 04:18:29 PM »

Well it seems weird that they are filming a dvd so soon..... Why release a DVD after an album has droppped that has no radio single on it? So either they are currently playing the next radio single or.......Well who knows. Maybe it is just for a video.

i say a video...check out the "new" songs that have been played so far each night

May 12,
Better, Madagascar, The Blues, Chinese Democracy, There Was A Time, IRS

May 14
The Blues, Better, Chinese Democracy

May 15
Better, Madagascar, IRS, Chinese Democracy

the only 2 that have played all 3 nights are CD and Better....and they have been waering the same clothes each show.....hmmmm they are getting some live footage for something... i wonder what the setlist tommorrow will be like?

and i am staying with my theory that a single and video will debut this summer during the euro tour ok

Agreed, I too felt the early shows would be used so footage for a new singles video could be filmed, I guess at these shows the crowd will definately be in to the music as well which would look good on a video and wouldn't be guaranteed at other shows this summer.

I think they also played The Blues last night though so assuming that first single video theory is correct it seems most likely the first single is CD, Better or The Blues which have been played every night.

I'm guessing it's Better simply because I don't think CD is strong enough to be a single and I don't think The Blues sounds right for the first single, it's certainly a strong song but maybe not first single material.

Also Better rocks ?ok

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006, 04:20:26 PM »

they played CD, Madagascar, The blues, Better, and IRS last night, so if they played TWAT, thats 6 songs in a 19 set, so thats not bad.  I wish they played TWAT instead of LALD

blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 04:26:20 PM »

they played CD, Madagascar, The blues, Better, and IRS last night, so if they played TWAT, thats 6 songs in a 19 set, so thats not bad.? I wish they played TWAT instead of LALD

considering that this is a NEW band with its own catalogue of songs...i think they should play about 12 new songs, and about 6-7 old ones
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »

They have been playing the Mad, Blues, and CD since I saw them in Vegas 01. ?Those aren't new and CD sucks. ?Get off your ass Axl and release/play the "big guns."
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2006, 04:31:24 PM »

Axl can't win whatever he does.  If he plays 12 new songs and 6 classics he'll get hammered by the media and many fans.  I admit I wouldn't mind hearing 1 or 2 more new songs but if the album isn't gonna be released until December there's no point to playing them.  Then everyone would be saying, release the album now so we can hear the studio versions of the new songs.  No one's ever satisfied.  Just be happy that they've showed up and rocked their asses off for 3 shows so far.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 04:31:54 PM »

I'm sure wants the albums come out .They will add more new songs to the set list.But right now they shouldn't .

Don't want the first time I hear something new to be from some shitty booty.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2006, 04:38:53 PM »

Come Rio I think they should play one unheard song. But it's not realistic for the band to play more than 7 songs off of the album which only has 13.
And they should play Rhiad some more as well.
I think once the tour starts the set list should feature:

Better
IRS
There Was A Time
Catcher In The Rye
Madagascar
The Blues
Chinese Democracy
Rhiad And The Bedouins

Plus some of the older stuff,but no Illusions stuff other than what's already being played. Then once he knows for sure the album is coming out he can play more unheard songs,and less older stuff. Then gradualy drop the older material from the set.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 04:44:15 PM by F*ck Fear » Logged

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »

Having been to two shows I can safely say when the new songs (even Blues, Madagascar and CD) are played, the crowd is visibly deflated.? Minus the few die hards who dig the new tracks (myself included) the rest of the audience is just chilling out...in the Mezz monday people were sitting down for the new songs.

That's an interesting post! Not a good sign that people aren't digging the new stuff on first listen. When the original band debuted Civil War at Farm Aid back in the day everyone went nuts. An instant classic!  ok

Here's a little wake up call for those whining fucks who think Axl and co should be playing unheard CD tracks. Bands primarily tour to promote/sell their new product. These current shows and the Euro ones are carefully planned to appease the old fanbase and prime the new and old for what's to come. It's all about regaining interest in a band that's been out of action with new material for some 13 years! It's ridiculous to play new unherad stuff from a disc that is yet to see the light of day. The leaked demos aside, you won't hear CD stuff until they tour to support it upon release this fall. Until then STFU and appreciate that you're even seeing Axl again because it is a miracle this guy has pulled off a comeback of any sorts after so long in the wilderness.  beer   
EccoTides
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2006, 05:04:31 PM »

For me, the trouble comes up when people refer to The Blues, Madagascar, and Chinese Democracy as "New" songs -

Those songs have been around for 5 years, and for GNR fans who've been on board over the years, they're far, far from new songs.

Sure, it's great to have them in the set - But he could've switched it up a little to throw us maybe one track no one's heard.
Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2006, 05:11:09 PM »

Sure, it's great to have them in the set - But he could've switched it up a little to throw us maybe one track no one's heard.

WHY? What does Axl gain from doing this? Wait for the album and show some respect. The vast majority of Guns fans wanna hear the established classics. For all you know CD may tank and if that happens it'll be just like Metallica... two songs off St.Anger and a shitload of classics, problem solved. ok
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2006, 05:23:30 PM »

Having been to two shows I can safely say when the new songs (even Blues, Madagascar and CD) are played, the crowd is visibly deflated.  Minus the few die hards who dig the new tracks (myself included) the rest of the audience is just chilling out...in the Mezz monday people were sitting down for the new songs.

That's an interesting post! Not a good sign that people aren't digging the new stuff on first listen. When the original band debuted Civil War at Farm Aid back in the day everyone went nuts. An instant classic!  ok

Here's a little wake up call for those whining fucks who think Axl and co should be playing unheard CD tracks. Bands primarily tour to promote/sell their new product. These current shows and the Euro ones are carefully planned to appease the old fanbase and prime the new and old for what's to come. It's all about regaining interest in a band that's been out of action with new material for some 13 years! It's ridiculous to play new unherad stuff from a disc that is yet to see the light of day. The leaked demos aside, you won't hear CD stuff until they tour to support it upon release this fall. Until then STFU and appreciate that you're even seeing Axl again because it is a miracle this guy has pulled off a comeback of any sorts after so long in the wilderness.  beer   

Completely agree with you, I don't know what is so hard to understand about this.

As for my observation, I wouldn't say they were completely bored or uninterested, but the energy level goes WAY down.  People wanted to hear what they know and sing along and dance/rock out.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2006, 05:28:22 PM »

howcome some song lists for the 15th dont have the blues listed, dizzy did his intro then the blues was played ... also axl played 4 songs from UYI, he played 5 from what we expect will be on CD, so he's playing the new stuff, should he play more ... i think we ll see what happens during the european tour, i mean the nyc shows were called warm-ups so if he showed 6 new songs, maybe up that to 10 by the end of the tour, then drop cd in the fall then the following tour be half new half old

EccoTides
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2006, 05:29:52 PM »

WHY? What does Axl gain from doing this? Wait for the album and show some respect. The vast majority of Guns fans wanna hear the established classics. For all you know CD may tank and if that happens it'll be just like Metallica... two songs off St.Anger and a shitload of classics, problem solved. ok

Axl and GNR gain legitmacy and respect by playing their own material, and not rehashing 20 year old songs for the 100th time. Axl gains little by putting on a Greatest Hits Show every night. If Axl wants to prove the doubters wrong, he's not going to do it by playing Out Ta Get Me and November Rain again and again.

As for Metallica, I'm pretty sure they realized what a god-awful album they'd unleashed with St. Anger. With Chinese Democracy, the new songs are actually pretty damn great.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 05:33:59 PM by EccoTides » Logged
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2006, 05:45:19 PM »

Axl and GNR gain legitmacy and respect by playing their own material, and not rehashing 20 year old songs for the 100th time. Axl gains little by putting on a Greatest Hits Show every night. If Axl wants to prove the doubters wrong, he's not going to do it by playing Out Ta Get Me and November Rain again and again.

exactly
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 05:47:14 PM by blues rocker » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: