Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  MTV review
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: MTV review  (Read 8390 times)
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 03:25:27 PM »

However, his voice isn't what it once was: At several points during the 19-song set, it appeared Rose couldn't sustain certain notes, taking breathers here and there or simply deferring to the crowd. Although his pipes were smooth for most of the night, they failed him on at least two critical occasions: "Sweet Child O' Mine" and Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die"

man i have watched a lot of gnr shows (from the 80s,90s,00s) and i have yet to watch one where Axl hit all the right notes-Axl always messes up live no big deal

decent review overall beer

homo homini lupus...
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 03:27:29 PM »

Pretty shitty review if you ask me.....they didn't go on late, axl LOST weight since the last tour, he looked much more fit.  His vocals were the best they've been in years.

i totally disagree that EVERYONE was waiting for slash to show up.  Even the mainstream press that has been fueling the rumors said slash might "show up at a later gig" but not be in NYC.

All in all pretty positive, but they really nit picked the negatives.  the success of the friday show was that he showed up, he rocked out, the crowd was insane, not a failure that izzy/slash weren't there and that he didn't sing EVERY note exactly like the CDs.  MTV has no business reporting this anyways....when is the last time they cared about real rock anyways??

sadly, the new guys will forever be linked to the old band...unless we get 2-3 albums out of the new band and they are massive hits.  But AFD is pop culture, Axl, Slash and Duff are icons - its just a fact everyone has to live with.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 03:28:04 PM »

he made the band look as a buch of "hired guys"

That has very little to do with Axl, and more to do with the fact that there have been in upwards of 15 different people who were at one time or another a full-time member of the band in a recording or touring capacity. Such high turnover in a single band adds to the image that whoever is playing is more employee than band member as it gives the impression anyone is replaceable at any given time.
xxrosesxx
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 03:30:31 PM »

he made the band look as a buch of "hired guys"

That has very little to do with Axl, and more to do with the fact that there have been in upwards of 15 different people who were at one time or another a full-time member of the band in a recording or touring capacity. Such high turnover in a single band adds to the image that whoever is playing is more employee than band member as it gives the impression anyone is replaceable at any given time.

I agree.

Takemedown
Headliner

Livin' Life Full Throttle

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 03:33:36 PM »

pretty cool review...... but biased though...

"a bunch of hired guys who didn`t seem cabable of holding a candle to the old line up"....

and i thought axl`s voice was better than in 2002 from what i heard...? ?and better than 92/92 as well...

they are hired guns! they are not guns n roses! how is this even debatable? Shocked
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 03:39:25 PM »

Hour and 15 mintues late?!?! ?Where the fuck do they get that from?!?! ?The opener went on stage at 9 and played for about 45 minutes or so then there was an hour to set the stage. ?11 was a great time to start. ?once again FUCK MTV!!!! ?Those assholes should stay out of the music scene and make another season of Real World since that's all those fucks do nowadays......

I saw the actual schedule for the evening - if I could figure out how to attach the pic I would - and it lists GnR's set from 9:45 - 11:45, which would explain the 1 hr 15 min late part.  But it also states that BfMV would play from 8 - 8:30, and at least on the 12th, that certainly didn't happen.

As for the review, I think it was fair.  However, after seeing GnR live a few nights back, I'm done remembering the UYI era.  Robin, Tommy, Brain....these guys now *are* GnR, plain and simple.  The "cover band" line will go away real fast after the CD comes out...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 03:41:58 PM »

I'd like to say it's a decent review, but why do they need to call GN'R a "cover band" ... The guys in the band, they've worked hard, they've written the new material, recorded it etc. So isn't it time to forget about the whole "cover band"  thing ?

But then again, this is coming from MTV ... Wich has long time sold its soul ...

Ditto. And the new materials kick ass. well I guess there is some truth in what xxrosesxx said.
I didn't know MTV used to have a soul but I thought it was relatively Axl friendly.
Judging from the boots, his voice and the band performance seem almost better than ever.

Wait n See who will have the last laugh. Angry
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 03:43:16 PM »

Eh MTV .. Looks like some fans enjoyed it.. This is from the You Tell Us section.

"I saw Guns N' Roses at the Hammerstein Ballroom and they were absolutely amazing. I didn't know what to expect, but Axl blew me away."

Jessica, 26
Secaucus, NJ

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
JAC185
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »

Considering they clearly went there wanting it to be bad, they sounded pretty impressed
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 04:07:05 PM »

thats the dumbest review ive ever read.  he was thinner than 2002 and sang as good as ever on Fri.  Fuck MTV.  Also, this is not a gnr cover band and now more than ever i realize axl needs to release a single to make it more legit.
fif
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 04:12:46 PM »

As corny as this sounds Axl should have a fake funeral or something for all the original members of GNR.  Just get something out there to show everyone this is GNR.  Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven/Matt WERE GNR 15 years ago.  I love the old band as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to hold the new guys to what the old band was and expect the same from them.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 04:15:31 PM »

It's not fair to the new guys for Axl not to release the album anymore.... He's got to put that fucking album out and let these guys play some hit songs that Slash and Izzy had NOTHING to fucking do with.... only then will the media cut back on the "cover band" digs...

As far as Axl's "weight issue".... he does sweat a whole hell of a lot and that Patrick Ewing comment was hilarious (especially if you're a Knick fan)... and he is "bulkier" than the UYI days... but in a "pumping iron" kind of way... not a "Chris Farley laying on the coach eating Cheetos" (see RIR III) kind of way.

Lastly, certain reviewers seem to have selective amnesia when it comes to the old band's live performances... at certain shows (Ritz '88, Freddie Mercury Tribute '92, Paris '92, etc.) they were right there with the Stones and Led Zeppelin, but more often than not, they were too pissed off at each other or wasted to give an "A+" performance. In fact, they turned in quite a few "B" and "B-" performances. The new band is FAR MORE reliable in that regard and have shown many times over that they "can play the fuck out of these songs".

All in all, not a horrendous review, but I hope to God MTV sends Loder the next time they cover Guns. ?

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »

the press is never going to give the new gnr much credit...because they are not the same band, but are still calling themselves "guns n roses"

it doesn't bother me, but the critics will never get past it...

if you ask me, axl brought it on himself by using the gnr name...

if he just dropped the gnr name and played mostly new material that was recorded by the new band, it would not be an issue...it would simply be a new band with its own original music...but as long as they use the gnr name (and play mostly old songs created by the original band) people are always going to call them imposters

to be honest, axl does seem to be "hiding" behind the old material and taking advantage of the popularity of the "gnr" name.

if he'd released a few albums since the end of the original band, as was playing only songs that were recorded by the new gnr, people wouldn't be so hard on him...but he can't expect to get much repect from the critics until he actually RELEASES something new...

as long as this band continues to milk the old gnr songs without producing anything new, people won't be able to view the new gnr as legit

the only thing axl can do to prove them wrong is to RELEASE THE MOTHERFUCKING ALBUM and MAKE them respect the new band for what it is.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 04:40:13 PM by blues rocker » Logged
Meanmachine22
Rocker

Trust me it's worth the waiting...

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 04:31:50 PM »

what did you expect? These shitfucking punk monkeys at MTV wouldn't recognize a good show even if the leadsinger and all musicianc ejaculate in their faces. MTV just airs pussy pop and 50 " i am so big and dumb" cent.They just wanna manipulate the youth with this "anti-music fuck shit" they play.... rant

Sorry for the language!!!!!

The album will do the talking i am sure ahh and by the way

FUCK YOU MTV

"when i say the time is right..well, than the time is right fuckhead!"
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006, 04:40:25 PM »

More journalistic fluff. People always have to comment on how Axl only plays the old stuff- well duh! No band on tour only ever plays new stuff.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
crazyfool
Headliner

You dig what i'm saying?

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006, 04:46:18 PM »

pretty cool review...... but biased though...

"a bunch of hired guys who didn`t seem cabable of holding a candle to the old line up"....

and i thought axl`s voice was better than in 2002 from what i heard...? ?and better than 92/92 as well...

i like the new band, but agree with the writer's assessment. 

12/6/02
5/12/06
5/14/06
11/10/06
4/9/16
6/26/16
JustWckd
Rocker

It happened in my lifetime!!!

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006, 05:09:33 PM »

That cover band shit gets old.

Well you seriously don't believe this is Guns N' Roses do you?

12/27/11 Phoenix
04/08/16 Vegas!!!!
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006, 05:11:28 PM »

That cover band shit gets old.

Well you seriously don't believe this is Guns N' Roses do you?

After seeing them on the 12th, *I* do. 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2006, 05:14:31 PM »

I dont get it...

Even if you weren't a fan of Guns N' Roses, and were on the floor on the 12th, you would have been made a fan ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
molta02
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2006, 05:17:00 PM »

Decent review. ?I thought the show kicked ass. ?It strikes me as a review from a person who hasnt really been keeping up with things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: