Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:23:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  .
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: .  (Read 6407 times)
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 08:31:32 PM »

Problem with the situation is that there is a distinct dropoff in energy level from the classics to the new songs, I know alot of the board members claim that everyone was screaming for the new ones, but having been in that theater you could tell there was a major dropoff in the crowd's energy level. 

It was the same way on the '91 UYI tour before the albums were released. People don't know the songs so they can't get into them as much. You see it for every band when they go out and tour behind the latest album, the older songs always get the biggest cheers.
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 08:56:34 PM »

Quote from the article:

"If "Chinese Democracy" really is coming soon, this would have been a perfect time to showcase it, but the few new songs came and went without much impact amid the nostalgia. The energetic title song, with its more contemporary sound, was a promising indication."

Sorry guys, but this statement is DEAD ON.  Face it - most people ARE seeing them for what they USED to be.  Personally, I still love them now.  I love the new stuff.  But you can't get all pissed off if a critic says this.  He's right.  And people who said "But people were standing around during the Illusion stuff too" are right, but that didn't mean Gn'R was right BACK THEN, either!! 

And the new songs didn't create much impact.  Like I said, I loved hearing them, and thought they sounded great.  But when he starts up a new song without an introduction, how do you expect people to react? 

Personally, for me, this would be like seeing someone like Springsteen.  I love his old stuff.  I couldn't name one of his new songs.  So if he goes up there and plays a bunch of new stuff, do you think I'd jump up and down and go crazy?  No.  And neither would most of you. 

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 09:02:57 PM »

Quote from the article:

"If "Chinese Democracy" really is coming soon, this would have been a perfect time to showcase it, but the few new songs came and went without much impact amid the nostalgia. The energetic title song, with its more contemporary sound, was a promising indication."

Sorry guys, but this statement is DEAD ON.? Face it - most people ARE seeing them for what they USED to be.? Personally, I still love them now.? I love the new stuff.? But you can't get all pissed off if a critic says this.? He's right.? And people who said "But people were standing around during the Illusion stuff too" are right, but that didn't mean Gn'R was right BACK THEN, either!!?

And the new songs didn't create much impact.? Like I said, I loved hearing them, and thought they sounded great.? But when he starts up a new song without an introduction, how do you expect people to react??

Personally, for me, this would be like seeing someone like Springsteen.? I love his old stuff.? I couldn't name one of his new songs.? So if he goes up there and plays a bunch of new stuff, do you think I'd jump up and down and go crazy?? No.? And neither would most of you.?

Still a difference here, I think.  You might not know any of Springsteen's new songs, but at least Springsteen has *released* new songs.  I get your point, though.  Still, let's gauge crowd reactions after CD is released - once people get to hear and know the songs, I bet it'll be a different story altogether.

And personally, I think the fact that they were playing "Better" and the others is a good indicator that they're getting closer to letting the album out of its cage...
Super-Ecwfan1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 09:23:12 PM »

Whats really sad is a lot of journalists and reviewers want the Guns n Roses of the late 80's. They can't see past the fact that times have changed , Axl's no longer that 20 something kid who had a ball of fire and rage. That he's gotten older and the band has changed.

But they are right about the new material. They need time to grow that material and I can see how and why it was leaked. Once the CD happens...it will help people enjoy the mew music and songs. Thats all Axl can ask for.

This is a good review I thought. Its nice to see a good review thats fair.
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2006, 10:43:59 PM »

yeah everyone was fuckin rockin out when better came on.  Irs fuckin rocks harder than any sone since AFD and Twat is a fucking amazing sone as good as NR.  The problem is (in this guys eyes) they are all really fuckin happy.  That's cool.  It's a new band.  That's it.  Axl is not an angry guy in his 20's anymore and that could be the best thing that ever happened to gnr fans. 
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 12:37:13 AM »

If the songs on CD are supposed to be so good then why doesn't Asshole play them?  New band and same old nostalgia.  Doesn't sound much different from the 02 tour or the 92 tour for that matter.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 01:10:05 AM »

If Axl was anything near that same angry street urchin' he was back in '87.... he'd probably be dead. That's the reality. Journalists (and general fans) have no fucking right to fault the guy for being 44 years old and just trying to find a happy existence that includes making music that is an HONEST expression of him and the band in 2006. Fault the new "bands" out there today that are in their 20's and yet STILL fail to bring any danger to popular music. What the fuck is wrong with them? Did their mothers cut their balls off? Why does it fall to Axl Rose to bail their asses out too? He's already proven himself in that regard and paid one hell of a price for it physically and emotionally. Just let the man share his music...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: