Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:55:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The GN'R "Greatest Hits" thread!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The GN'R "Greatest Hits" thread!  (Read 68205 times)
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2004, 09:12:40 AM »

Eil (a British online store) have it listed for March 15. It's already available for preorder :

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=275873&from=AG01D98

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2004, 10:42:12 AM »

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040219/lath031_1.html

Where does it come from? All this hatred.

1988-Today: 71 shows and counting....
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2004, 10:49:59 AM »

Well, I think we're all resigned to it coming out. In a way I hope Axl just forgets about it. Hopefully Guns N Roses and management will just continue as normal and get CD out as soon as possible.

If it doesn't effect CD then I'm happy. I'm not buying it till CD comes out tho.

@#$%Muther
AC
Rocker

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2004, 10:50:59 AM »

So are the songs going to remastered at least?

AA

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2004, 10:52:23 AM »

WOW!! You guys are fast.  I just got paged by someone who GOT the PR and came here to post about it. Jeesh!! Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Darth Bowie
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2004, 11:01:15 AM »

AA

Yes, the tracks are remastered. They DEFINITELY sound more fuller, especially the APPETITE tracks. You will truly appreciate the production and performances a lot more.

By the way, they did remaster all of the albums, not just the these 14 tracks so expect those to be released at the end of the year.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 11:03:11 AM by Darth Bowie » Logged

"Love is real, real is love" - John Lennon
brian
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2004, 11:15:10 AM »

AA

Yes, the tracks are remastered. They DEFINITELY sound more fuller, especially the APPETITE tracks. You will truly appreciate the production and performances a lot more.

By the way, they did remaster all of the albums, not just the these 14 tracks so expect those to be released at the end of the year.

how do you know this?
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2004, 11:21:41 AM »

Greatest Hits CD - GEFFEN Press Release

Guns N' Roses. GREATEST HITS. For the First Time.
Thursday February 19, 10:01 am ET

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- It may surprise some to realize that Guns N' Roses released only four full-length original albums, and two of those debuted simultaneously. But they were enough to forever change rock 'n' roll. Even more shocking is that one of the great bands in rock history, with its last studio album issued 10 years ago, has never had a "best of" compilation. Now it has. Welcome to the jungle with GREATEST HITS (Geffen), released March 23, 2004.

With 14 selections housed in a digipak, GREATEST HITS features all eight of the band's Top 40 Billboard Hot 100 tracks (five of them RIAA-certified "gold," i.e., sales of more than 500,000 units). Along with spanning the group's five album releases, GREATEST HITS also marks the debut on a Guns N' Roses album of the band's cover of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil" for the 1995 film INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE.

The first full-length album from GN'R, 1987's APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION, is one of the most popular hard rock albums in history. As of February 21, 2004, the album has been on the Billboard Top 200 Albums or Top Pop Catalog chart for a total of 545 weeks. Selling more than 20 million copies worldwide -- 15 times platinum in the U.S. -- it charted #1 for five weeks. The album included three Top 10s: the gold #1 single "Sweet Child O' Mine," the anthem "Welcome To The Jungle" (#7) and the frenzied rocker "Paradise City" (#5).

1988's G N'R LIES, comprised of songs from the group's independently-released 1986 EP LIVE?!*@LIKE A SUICIDE plus new studio recordings, followed APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION up the charts. Zooming to #2, the Grammy-nominated album (for Hard Rock Performance) was five times platinum (each platinum level connotes sales of more than one million units) and claimed the gold #4-charting ballad "Patience."

Then, on September 17, 1991, with one of the most anticipated releases ever in music, both USE YOUR ILLUSION I and USE YOUR ILLUSION II debuted. I featured two gold singles with "November Rain" (#3) and "Don't Cry" (#10) plus another Top 40 with "Live And Let Die" (#33). II boasted another gold hit with the previously-released single "You Could Be Mine" (#29), heard in the film TERMINATOR II: JUDGEMENT DAY. Each of the USE YOUR ILLUSION albums went seven times platinum. I reached #2 and II reached #1. II was Grammy nominated for Best Hard Rock Performance as was the Wings cover "Live And Let Die." GREATEST HITS also culls from II "Yesterdays," "Civil War" and GN'R's take on Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door."

A collection of Guns N' Roses covers of classic, mainly punk, songs that had influenced the bandmembers since their early days, 1993's "THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT?" hit #4 and platinum. Included on GREATEST HITS are its renditions of The Dead Boys' 1978 track "Ain't It Fun" and an unlikely cover of The Skyliners' '50s doo-wop gem "Since I Don't Have You."

Source - Geffen

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
Bahad
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2004, 11:24:19 AM »

Most of us will not buy it, others  dont know who the hell is gn'r.What is the purpose of releasing the GH. Fuck ,GH with a shitty selected tracklist Angry
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2004, 11:25:58 AM »

AA

Really no use for GH, then.
FILTHY
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2004, 11:32:49 AM »

At the very least, it's gonna be a digipak.....
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2004, 11:37:34 AM »

Guns N' Roses. GREATEST HITS. For the First Time.
Thursday February 19, 10:01 am ET

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- It may surprise some to realize that Guns N' Roses released only four full-length original albums, and two of those debuted simultaneously. But they were enough to forever change rock 'n' roll. Even more shocking is that one of the great bands in rock history, with its last studio album issued 10 years ago, has never had a "best of" compilation. Now it has. Welcome to the jungle with GREATEST HITS (Geffen), released March 23, 2004.
ADVERTISEMENT

With 14 selections housed in a digipak, GREATEST HITS features all eight of the band's Top 40 Billboard Hot 100 tracks (five of them RIAA-certified "gold," i.e., sales of more than 500,000 units). Along with spanning the group's five album releases, GREATEST HITS also marks the debut on a Guns N' Roses album of the band's cover of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil" for the 1995 film INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE.

The first full-length album from GN'R, 1987's APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION, is one of the most popular hard rock albums in history. As of February 21, 2004, the album has been on the Billboard Top 200 Albums or Top Pop Catalog chart for a total of 545 weeks. Selling more than 20 million copies worldwide -- 15 times platinum in the U.S. -- it charted #1 for five weeks. The album included three Top 10s: the gold #1 single "Sweet Child O' Mine," the anthem "Welcome To The Jungle" (#7) and the frenzied rocker "Paradise City" (#5).

1988's G N'R LIES, comprised of songs from the group's independently-released 1986 EP LIVE?!*@LIKE A SUICIDE plus new studio recordings, followed APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION up the charts. Zooming to #2, the Grammy-nominated album (for Hard Rock Performance) was five times platinum (each platinum level connotes sales of more than one million units) and claimed the gold #4-charting ballad "Patience."

Then, on September 17, 1991, with one of the most anticipated releases ever in music, both USE YOUR ILLUSION I and USE YOUR ILLUSION II debuted. I featured two gold singles with "November Rain" (#3) and "Don't Cry" (#10) plus another Top 40 with "Live And Let Die" (#33). II boasted another gold hit with the previously-released single "You Could Be Mine" (#29), heard in the film TERMINATOR II: JUDGEMENT DAY. Each of the USE YOUR ILLUSION albums went seven times platinum. I reached #2 and II reached #1. II was Grammy nominated for Best Hard Rock Performance as was the Wings cover "Live And Let Die." GREATEST HITS also culls from II "Yesterdays," "Civil War" and GN'R's take on Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door."

A collection of Guns N' Roses covers of classic, mainly punk, songs that had influenced the bandmembers since their early days, 1993's "THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT?" hit #4 and platinum. Included on GREATEST HITS are its renditions of The Dead Boys' 1978 track "Ain't It Fun" and an unlikely cover of The Skyliners' '50s doo-wop gem "Since I Don't Have You."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Geffen

Note: The hell is a digipak?
Death Cube K
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2004, 11:38:37 AM »

After all this waiting and what do we get? A Greatest Hits CD with a bullshit track listing not authorised by Axl.

Im not gonna buy it.
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2004, 11:40:08 AM »

What a bullshit press release.  They can go fuck themselves.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
fora
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2004, 11:41:04 AM »

not for me. I hate the digipacks.
By the way, no press release on geffen.com interscope.com gnronline.com, as usual.

These guys don't even know a shit about communication or marketing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 11:42:51 AM by fora » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2004, 11:49:38 AM »

Actually, now that I think about it, "Sympathy For The Devil" is a decent selection considering its relatively obscure and is one of the few (only?) GNR tracks not released on an album.  Face it, GNR dont have much when it comes to unreleased material, especially stuff thats recorded well, "SFTD" is as close as you can come to an "unheard song"  for most casual fans.  Only other objections I have are the inclusion of "Aint It Fun" and "Since I Dont Have You," although the latter is understandable since its the only real single (complete with video)  for The Spaghetti Incident?.  Its pretty hard to pick outside of the obvious hits, but I would have liked to see "Rocket Queen," "Nighttrain," and maybe "Used To Love Her".  

Ill buy it eventually, but its certainly not something Ill be getting immediately.
AC
Rocker

« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2004, 11:55:54 AM »

I don't have Sympathy for the Devil on CD, and I've been waiting almost 10 years for it. I personally love their rendition of it, and remastered with the rest of these tracks sounds damn good to me. If I wait for the remastered full albums to be released at the end of the year I'll still be waiting for Sympathy for the Devil as it was only released on a CD single for Interview of the Vampire.

Call me selfish if you like... sorry Axl.

AA.
P.S. - A digipack is a cardboard slipcase the CD sits in. No big deal.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 11:58:00 AM by AA » Logged

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2004, 12:09:49 PM »

God i hate this package. Why are these bastards doing this? it's utterly gratuitous.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2004, 12:14:20 PM »

I love the GNR version of Sympathy. But I have it already. I bought the single when Interview came out(The single also contained a piece from the score).

I will never EVER buy this GH album.

"They can go fuck themselves"

no truer words have been said.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
teroz
Opening Act

Boyz are Gonna Rock ?

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2004, 12:17:47 PM »

"It may surprise some to realize that Guns N' Roses released only four full-length original albums"

That is written like there will be no more GnR albums, it should read "so far" or "have". That sounds a bit scary. Either they mean that there will be no CD, or they haven't really been thinkin' of anything while writing that.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: