Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228534 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 487133 times)
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #740 on: July 23, 2005, 12:58:44 PM »

Kirk leaving Metallica wouldn't be a huge blow to the band, he is usually sloppy live and it seems that he uses his Wah Wah pedal on almost all of the songs live which in some cases spoils them.
Really?  I think it would destroy Metallica.  The one thing I thought was lacking on their most recent album was solos by Kirk.

Musically, it wouldn't take 5 minutes to find a guitarist to replace him to play live, but you're right, it probably would destroy them because they've been friends for 22 years  ok

Anyway, I don't want Kirk to leave.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #741 on: July 24, 2005, 01:59:12 AM »

It wasn't Kirk's idea to have no solos.  Actually if you watched Some Kind Of monster, Kirk is quite unhappy when Lars and James bring up the idea of not having any solos on the album.  He eventually gives in, but he was not happy about it.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #742 on: July 24, 2005, 10:47:44 PM »

Roll Eyes

Not even u believe that

Overkill was the first thrash band. Judas Priest did a few thrashy songs like Exciter, but Overkill was the first band to only play thrash metal. As for Metal Church, Lars was a member of that band before Metallica, and you bet they taught him a thing or two!

In the grand scheme of things, Metallica's main contribution was putting out the first thrash album, but they didn't invent the sound or idea of thrash metal.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #743 on: July 25, 2005, 12:06:48 AM »

A quick sidenote, I saw Metal Church live last week and they still got it.  Very good stuff.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #744 on: August 08, 2005, 09:29:44 AM »

i think they are better live now? with robert then they ever were. Please note im only commenting on things after cliff, i have yet to get any live footage with him.

Robert Trujillo is an excellent bassist, but he's not fit to be mentioned in the same sentence as Cliff Burton.

I just managed to get my hands on some stuff Trujillo did after sucidal tendencies, the band is called "Infectious Grooves", I can only describe it as a Primus meets early RHCP's, Roberts bass playing on that album is "INCREDIBLE" and is almost on par with Flea and Claypool. Burton was amazing but this stuff is really impressive!!! your opinion of Robert will be way different after hearing it. I guarantee it.

Seriously, it's too bad metallica didn't utilize his full potential when recording St. Anger. That style of bass playing (Extremely Fast Slap Funk) with some wicked solo's from Kirk would've made for an untouchable album IMHO.

Has anyone else ever heard Infectious Grooves? My favorite song was "Violent & Funky"
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 09:37:37 AM by Neemo » Logged

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #745 on: August 08, 2005, 05:09:23 PM »

I don't think Robert actually played bass on St. Anger.  I do think Trujillo is a very good bassist.  But back in Cliff's day, nobody played bass like that.  Imagine how amazing he'd be now if he was still with us.  I'm not complaining about Robert's being in the band though.  He's an excellent player, and a good guy.  I just hope the rest of the guys' shitty attitudes don't rub off on him.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #746 on: August 08, 2005, 05:26:33 PM »

yeah  robert didn't play bass on ST.Anger ,it was Bob Rock.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #747 on: August 08, 2005, 07:01:27 PM »

yeah? robert didn't play bass on ST.Anger ,it was Bob Rock.

oh woops, my bad, anyway my point was that they should use that style of playing for the next album, and let kirk go wild see where it takes them

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #748 on: August 08, 2005, 07:46:40 PM »

yeah  robert didn't play bass on ST.Anger ,it was Bob Rock.

oh woops, my bad, anyway my point was that they should use that style of playing for the next album, and let kirk go wild see where it takes them

I agree if they used Rob's style of playing and let Kirk do some soloing the next album could be great.

I have heard some of "Infectious Grooves"and rob's bass work is very impressive on it.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Miss-Aussie
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Set U Free

« Reply #749 on: August 11, 2005, 02:20:32 AM »

METALLICA TO SPECIAL GUEST FOR THE ROLLING STONES IN SAN FRANCISCO ON NOVEMBER 13TH AND 15TH AT SBC PARK
NEW YORK, NY - (August 2nd, 2005)

Metallica will be the special guest for the Rolling Stones as part of their "A Bigger Bang" World tour at SBC Park in San Francisco on November 13th and 15th. An additional opening act will be announced shortly with times for both concerts being moved up an hour to 6pm PST. Metallica joins a diverse list of top opening acts, including the Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Pearl Jam, John Mayer Trio, Les Trois Accords, The Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, Trey Anastasio, Joss Stone and Beck.

"Over the course of our career we've been fortunate enough to share the stage with a select few of the bands we grew up on, admired and respected including AC/DC, Deep Purple, Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden. The only band that we have never played with but have always wanted to is The Rolling Stones," says Metallica's drummer Lars Ulrich.

"Having the opportunity to play with them this November in our hometown of San Francisco is both an honor and a privilege. And it's bound to be a lot of fuckin' fun especially since we haven't special guested since 1992! These shows will enable us to recharge our batteries, both creatively and physically, as we prepare for the next phase of Metallica."

Tickets for The Rolling Stones at SBC Park on November 13th are sold out. Tickets for the November 15th performance are on sale now at BGP.com, Ticketmaster.com and at all Ticketmaster outlets including Tower Records, Wherehouse Music, Ritmo Latino, select Save Mart and select FYE stores, and Tix Bay Area in Union Square. To charge tickets by phone, call (415) 421-TIXS, (408) 998-TIXS, (510) 444-TIXS, (209) 485-TIXS or (707) 528-TIXS.

The U.S. leg of the "A Bigger Bang" World Tour is presented by Ameriquest Mortgage Company. Rolling Stones World tour 2005/2006 will be presented by Concert Productions International and produced by WPC Piecemeal Inc.

Live it, Love it, Cherish it, for Rock And Roll is the key to life
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #750 on: August 14, 2005, 01:39:03 PM »

Anybody checked out the tribute band Beatallica?  They are awesome the vocalist sounds so like Hetfield it's amazing.  They cover Beatles songs with a Metallica sound, with quite amusing lyrics;

Sgt. Hetfields Motorbreath Pub Band
It was 20 years ago today
Motorhead taught this band to play
At first they were so out of style
But they?re guaranteed to raise your bile
So may I introduce to you
The act that drank 1000 beers
Sgt. Hetfield?s Motorbreath pub band
We hope you will enjoy the show
Just thrash and let the metal flow
Sgt. Hetfield?s Motor, Sgt. Hetfield?s Motor,
It?s wonderful to drink beer, It?s certainly a swill
You?re such a lovely audience
We?d like to fuck your Motorbreath
You?d love to fuck your...
I don?t really want to stop the show
But I thought you might like to know
James Hetfield?s gonna sing a song
And he wants you all to thrash along
So let me introduce to you
The band who drank 1000 beers
Bring more beer!

Goto http://www.beatallica.org/beatallica.html to download both their albums Beatallica & A Garage Dayz Nite i recommend this for any Metallica fan past or present!  ok
old
Opening Act

« Reply #751 on: August 14, 2005, 06:04:31 PM »

Metallica...

A great band to love, but apparently even greater one to hate.

I recently got 2 of their albums (nostalgic or getting old) after not owning
a record of theirs for 5-8 years. Got Load and Reload, I like them quite a
bit, even tho they are quite different from the older stuff.

For reference, this is from a guy who got his first vinyl in 1984, it was Ride
The Lightning and it was one of the albums that got me into metal, along
with Maiden and Mot?rhead.

Band change over time, it's just a fact, but for my general feelings on this,
I refer you to my signature.

(back to reading the rest of this)
old
Opening Act

« Reply #752 on: August 14, 2005, 06:09:41 PM »

St. Anger wasn't their best, but I thought as an album it was far superior to ...And Justice For All.

I know this might be too late for your mental health, but seek help.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #753 on: August 14, 2005, 07:56:51 PM »

rofl rofl

It's interesting that you're a GnR fan, given your sig.
old
Opening Act

« Reply #754 on: August 15, 2005, 01:13:33 AM »

rofl rofl

It's interesting that you're a GnR fan, given your sig.

I'm not really a fan, more like an interested on looker.
Besides, as far as I can see, the band is dead.
May I be proven wrong.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #755 on: August 16, 2005, 11:14:47 AM »

According to German online ticket agency Eventim.de, METALLICA will be playing several dates in Germany with the ROLLING STONES. No official announcement on the matter has yet been made by the tour promoter, METALLICA or the ROLLING STONES.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #756 on: August 16, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »

According to German online ticket agency Eventim.de, METALLICA will be playing several dates in Germany with the ROLLING STONES. No official announcement on the matter has yet been made by the tour promoter, METALLICA or the ROLLING STONES.

That pairing is just......terrible, almost as bizarre as U2 and Rage against the Machine - do they give any thought to the styles of music both bands play?

As if the crowd that go to a RS gig care about Metallica and vice versa!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #757 on: August 16, 2005, 05:28:14 PM »

I personally like both bands.  But the majority of Stones fans are older people who do not care for Metallica.  And the younger Metallica fans are too ignorant to appreciate the Rolling Stones.  Its not a good mix.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #758 on: August 17, 2005, 05:31:36 AM »

Unless they play Load-era songs it will be a rediculous idea.

I hope they play Fight Fire With Fire  ok

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #759 on: September 19, 2005, 04:00:07 PM »

It pisses me off when fans complain to me"wa, wa, wa Metallica is too over-rated" I don't dig Load through St.Anger either but the first 3 albums opened a door in my life and influenced me to pick up guitar. Every time I say I like Metallica, fans expect me to slam Megadeth, but i don't because I listen to them too. When it comes to bands I don't care about the musicians themselves, it's the music that matters to me. I find it retarded for fans to turn on them for changing their appearence (like cutting the hair and dressing different) that has nothing to do with their musical skills no matter if the album sucks or not. And plus , I don't use radio for music that often, but to hear about concerts and bands going on tour though. I listen to heavy metal but I met some metalheads that are picky about their taste in things..." Wait ,you don't like that band? you're not a metalhead blah,blah, blah." I like metal bands but not all of them. I sure as hell don't like that gothic crap and screamo junk. like Marilyn Manson, Korn, lamb of god... fuck that shit. hey no offense to people that like those bands , just in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: