Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:28:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228540 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 488062 times)
jgfnsr
« Reply #480 on: February 23, 2005, 06:58:54 PM »

Furthermore, Q magazine (a reputable, highly respected publication), compiled a list of the biggest bands of all time.
The criteria was based on Album sales, tours, biggest single etc..
Each band's placing was allocated according to a points system that measured sales of their biggest album, the scale of their biggest headlining show and the total number of weeks spent on the US and UK album chart.

Heres the top 20 :

1.Pink Floyd
2.Led Zeppelin
3.Rolling Stones
4.U2
5.Queen
6.Dire Straits
7.Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
8.The Beatles
9.Bob Marley and the Wailers
10.Fleetwood Mac
11.The Eagles
12.The Beach Boys
13.Oasis
14.Bon Jovi
15.Guns N' Roses
16.Nirvana
17.Genesis
18.Bee Gees
19.Metallica
20.Boston

Like I said this is a reputable magazine and I think this list is fairly accurate

Except I wouldn't consider Bon Jovi to have been at any time bigger than Guns N' Roses or Metallica. (Sorry D...)
jgfnsr
« Reply #481 on: February 23, 2005, 07:03:25 PM »

Kayoss, your arguments are laughable at best. Metallica did manage to alienate a good portion of their fanbase, but they are still a fairly successful band. They still go multi-platinum with their albums and have successful tours. Their back catalogue is still pretty successful, too. In fact, the Black Album is selling at a faster rate than AFD and it's only a matter of time before it's total sales are greater than AFD's total sales. On top of that, Metallica is looked upon as a huge influence on the metal genre. So while they may be a joke to some, they have remained a largely successful band.

Your argument that St Anger's sales is a huge fall from The Black Album's is ridiculous. What band can consistently sell 14 million albums? No one. Not even legendary acts such as the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd could generate those kind of sales on a consistant basis. It just doesn't happen. Let's not forget that St Anger was released in an age where sales in rock music as a whole are down. So it is ridiculous to think Metallica would generate those type of sales. Chinese Democracy most likely won't generate those type of sales. In fact, it will be lucky to generate half of the 7 million that each of the Illusions sold. Yet, somehow I doubt you would say anything negative about Axl/GNR when that happens.

Metallica has absolutely nothing to worry about this point and there is certainly no reason for them to be jealous of Axl. Axl hasn't been able to hold a band together for more than a few years at a time. He hasn't been able to release an original studio recording since the Illusions were released in 1991. His big comeback was a huge failure with a cancelled tour and a laughable performance at the VMA's. He is constantly ridiculed by his peers and the music media. He is now known as some crazy recluse who ruined his looks with too much plastic surgery. I think most people would much rather be in Metallica's position where they may be ridiculed for selling out, yet still remain successful rather than being in Axl's sorry position. People may laugh at Metallica, but they surely aren't the joke that Axl has become.

Kayoss does bring up a good point though. 

If James isn't jealous of Axl somehow, why does he manage to bring the him up time after time?  It's like the whole situation with Vince Neil.  There's like this neverending grudge both of 'em have against the guy, even though their association with Axl and the old band was years ago.  And since I'm bringing up people, I think the same thing went for Kurt Cobain.

I think all three of them have (had in Cobain's case  hihi) feelings of inadequacy in relation to Axl.  Which is understandable, as none of them ever held a candle to him...
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #482 on: February 23, 2005, 07:17:27 PM »

any list that puts Oaisis before gnr or metallica should be burned.  rant

as for any of those artists bringing up axl? ya know , I've only heard of james bringing up axl on 2 or 3 occasions , one was when he read GNR's backstage rider during or just after the tour with them and on the SKOM movie .. but the SKOM thing was just begging to be done .. I mean the electric chair and all .. it was a funny parody of the WTTJ video .. and it wasnt a slag , you could see it was just sillyness and fun , not malicious.

How about the way axl constantly ragged on Kurt Cobain during concerts , how about all his anti-izzy spiels befiore DTJ? How about how many time axl has slagged off on vince neil in interviews or steven adler? According to your logic then axl must feel really inadequte to those guys too? Or does it not work the same way for axl as it does for those you listed?  Roll Eyes

Of course not , this is axl land and we are but his minions.  hihi

Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #483 on: February 23, 2005, 07:47:08 PM »

How about the way axl constantly ragged on Kurt Cobain during concerts , how about all his anti-izzy spiels befiore DTJ? How about how many time axl has slagged off on vince neil in interviews or steven adler? According to your logic then axl must feel really inadequte to those guys too? Or does it not work the same way for axl as it does for those you listed?

It's not really the point though.  Yeah, all those things were done/said in the past, but a lot of the music celebrities from that time get asked about Axl/Guns in present day interviews.  Witness MC's interview in Blender? I think, if Axl did an interview today, I would be willing to wager no one would ask him about Vince Neil.  Just saying.  Even Metallica gets asked about the joint Guns tour quite often. 
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #484 on: February 23, 2005, 08:13:40 PM »

If James isn't jealous of Axl somehow, why does he manage to bring the him up time after time?? It's like the whole situation with Vince Neil.? There's like this neverending grudge both of 'em have against the guy, even though their association with Axl and the old band was years ago.? And since I'm bringing up people, I think the same thing went for Kurt Cobain.

I think all three of them have (had in Cobain's case? hihi) feelings of inadequacy in relation to Axl.? Which is understandable, as none of them ever held a candle to him...

I'm sorry that's just plain stupid. So everyone who mentions Axl is just jealous? Give me a break. There is no reason to put someone down to make Axl look better.  Someday you'll realize people mention Axl because they are calling him out on his awful behavior. Except in this case James wasn't even bashing Axl. He was just doing an impression of him. That has zero to do with jealousy.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #485 on: February 23, 2005, 08:22:58 PM »

Furthermore, Q magazine (a reputable, highly respected publication), compiled a list of the biggest bands of all time.
Each band's placing was allocated according to a points system that measured sales of their biggest album, the scale of their biggest headlining show and the total number of weeks spent on the US and UK album chart.

Heres the top 20 :

1.Pink Floyd
2.Led Zeppelin
3.Rolling Stones
4.U2
5.Queen
6.Dire Straits
8.The Beatles
10.Fleetwood Mac
11.The Eagles
12.The Beach Boys
13.Oasis
14.Bon Jovi
15.Guns N' Roses
16.Nirvana
17.Genesis
18.Bee Gees
19.Metallica
20.Boston

Like I said this is a reputable magazine and I think this list is fairly accurate

Except for the fact that you are misstating the facts. The list is for the biggest bands in the UK. It has nothing to do with US or anywhere else in the world. Futhermore, the list means nothing. So what if GNR were bigger than Metallica in their prime? Hootie and The Blowfish's debut album sold as much as AFD. Does that mean they are on GNR's level? Does that mean everyone should know the names of Hootie's members? No, of course not.

GNR were huge for a very short period in time. Metallica's success has sustained over a much longer time period. So it's not a stretch to think that Metallica and James are a bigger household name than Axl Rose is because their name has been consistantly out there for well over a decade. GNR has pretty much done squat since the Illusions tour ended.

I love GNR way more than Metallica, but it's absolutely ridiculous to blindly worship them and constantly put others down to make Axl look better.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #486 on: February 23, 2005, 09:12:24 PM »

Most people forgot about the VMA's and 2002 tour while it was happening to be honest.

Thanks for rephrasing my point.

Metallica are a far cry and a mere shell of what they once were?

Yes, that's what I said and you're not going to convince me otherwise.

For alot of people the 80's version of Metallica means nothing anymore.? People just can't get the silly, goofy, faggish antics and music of today out of their minds long enough to remember how cool they USED to be.

And theres a huge group of gnr fans who say the exact same thing about modern GNR

Based off what?? There's only been one song released from the modern era.? If you're talking about live appearences - don't even get me started on Metallica's crap.? When Axl showed up at the VMA's in 2002 people came out of their seat and pissed on themselves.? When Metallica closed the 2003 show with "Frantic" the crowd was dead and people were leaving the building.? 'Guess Hetfield's "tic-tocking" wasn't exactly their idea of a rockin' time (nor was it mine).

And about Napster - you don't have to justify their reasoning to me.? I didn't say I disagreed with their protest - just pointed out that no matter how you look at it or try to defend them for it - it ultimately hurt them alot more than winning the war would've ever helped (and they didn't win - while Napster temporarily fell there were always other free peer-to-peer sites).

But they stuck to their guns and took a stance that "hey , we wrote and recorded these songs , we own them and we'll say how and where they get sold" no matter if it cost them millions of dollars or millions of fans .. that took balls.

Too bad they weren't able to enforce how or where they were sold despite whining about it for the better part of a year.? You look at it as "taking balls" but I see it as just plain stupid.? They tried to fight a battle that was unwinable from the start and it cost them fans they'll never get back (luckily I was already gone by then? hihi ).

I'm sure there are people who laugh at Axl for 2002.? But there are far many more people who hold Metallica in the lowest regard for years of mediocrity and stupidity.? It may not happen down the street where you live - but it happens here and just about every place I've been.? Metallica has sold alot of albums but there are just as many people who would shit on them at any given opportunity.?

If you want to keep basing their success compared to GN'R's off album sales alone - I'll give you that.? Metallica has been releasing albums over the past decade and have consistently remained in the public eye - GN'R hasn't.? And despite some of the things they've done that have caused many to hate them the name "Metallica" is still very marketable.? But the only people who still hold James Hetfield in any high regard are the hardcore fans that wouldn't leave Metallica's side if they broke in their homes and shot their mothers.? With Axl - people that absolutely hate the guy still admit that he's a brilliant writer and was the most influential frontman (which was the point of my original post).?

PEACE BRO!! Roll Eyes

But just for kicks - in regards to who's name is more marketable:? didn't GN'R's greatest hits album sell about as many copies as St Anger (anyone have the REAL numbers)?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 09:24:38 PM by Kayoss » Logged

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #487 on: February 23, 2005, 09:32:54 PM »

Heres the top 20 :

1.Pink Floyd
2.Led Zeppelin
3.Rolling Stones
4.U2
5.Queen
6.Dire Straits
8.The Beatles
10.Fleetwood Mac
11.The Eagles
12.The Beach Boys
13.Oasis
14.Bon Jovi
15.Guns N' Roses
16.Nirvana
17.Genesis
18.Bee Gees
19.Metallica
20.Boston

Except for the fact that you are misstating the facts. The list is for the biggest bands in the UK. It has nothing to do with US or anywhere else in the world. Futhermore, the list means nothing. So what if GNR were bigger than Metallica in their prime? Hootie and The Blowfish's debut album sold as much as AFD. Does that mean they are on GNR's level? Does that mean everyone should know the names of Hootie's members? No, of course not.

GNR were huge for a very short period in time. Metallica's success has sustained over a much longer time period. So it's not a stretch to think that Metallica and James are a bigger household name than Axl Rose is because their name has been consistantly out there for well over a decade. GNR has pretty much done squat since the Illusions tour ended.

I love GNR way more than Metallica, but it's absolutely ridiculous to blindly worship them and constantly put others down to make Axl look better.

again, I ask you to not look at the longevity of career nor specific album sales
this is not about blind hero-worship, check my prior posts and you'll see that is not the case at all, I offer very balanced opinions - I happen to believe what Im saying here.
I happen to love Metallica - all i am saying is that Guns made a bigger impact to the wider mainstream culture (and bringing up Hootie is silly and weak point frankly, you could also add Britney or Shania if you're to apply that rationale) - i made reference to Nirvana and Eminem to provide examples - not only huge record sales, but huge impact on popular culture through their music and the press they received. Notorious, controversial, topical and vital - not to mention hugely influential.

Guns were a legendary band in their heyday - between 87-91 they had a golden air about them, like you could sense the legend building by the day - very few bands/acts acheive this

If i mis-stated facts in that list, my mistake.
I dont agree with everything on it but it does contribute to some of my argument.

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #488 on: February 23, 2005, 09:52:11 PM »

Most people forgot about the VMA's and 2002 tour while it was happening to be honest.

That people didnt CARE about axl and his new guns when they "came back" in 2002?!

For alot of people the 80's version of Metallica means nothing anymore.  People just can't get the silly, goofy, faggish antics and music of today out of their minds long enough to remember how cool they USED to be.

And for alot of people the 80's version and modern version of metallica matters ALOT just going by the attendance of their current tours. The numbers dont lie. metallica still has a very strong fanbase if not stronger then it's been in years.

There's only been one song released from the modern era.  If you're talking about live appearences - don't even get me started on Metallica's crap.  When Axl showed up at the VMA's in 2002 people came out of their seat and pissed on themselves.  When Metallica closed the 2003 show with "Frantic" the crowd was dead and people were leaving the building.  'Guess Hetfield's "tic-tocking" wasn't exactly their idea of a rockin' time (nor was it mine).

Hahaha ...  one song released .. yeah , thats true. Blame axl for not being ABLE to release more material. And remember , GNR @ the VMA's was hyped as a HUGE surprise all day and night , of course people were gunna be a little extra excited. Metallica closing the 2003 show wasnt hyped as some huge surprise and bro , I dunno if you watched the same show I did but the crowd was INTO the medley metallica did , tons of fist pumping and jumping around. Frantic was a brand new , unheard song at the time .. kinda hard for fans to sing along with it. Madagascar was 3 years old and heavily bootlegged when GNR played the VMA's but I dont remember a whole lot of hooting and hollering when they played it?

Too bad they weren't able to enforce how or where they were sold despite whining about it for the better part of a year.  You look at it as "taking balls" but I see it as just plain stupid.  They tried to fight a battle that was unwinable from the start and it cost them fans they'll never get back (luckily I was already gone by then  hihi ).

But atleast they fought the battle , napster itself folded and these days we are seeing more and more "pay to download" app's popping up. Atleast they fought the battle every other band was afraid to tackle.

I'm sure there are people who laugh at Axl for 2002.  But there are far many more people who hold Metallica in the lowest regard for years of mediocrity and stupidity.  It may not happen down the street where you live - but it happens here and just about every place I've been.  Metallica has sold alot of albums but there are just as many people who would shit on them at any given opportunity.

Did I miss a survey or something? Pray tell , where do you get the numbers? From your ass? Far more people hold metallica in the lowest regard huh? yeah. Ok buddy. Survey says! Where is it you live again? Axl's mansion?

If you want to keep basing their success compared to GN'R's off album sales alone - I'll give you that.  Metallica has been releasing albums over the past decade and have consistently remained in the public eye - GN'R hasn't.
Replace "hasnt" with "cant" and I'll agree .. axl seems unable to release an album.

And despite some of the things they've done that have caused many to hate them the name "Metallica" is still very marketable.

So is "GNR" as evidenced by the number of albums the GH's package sold , an album that it seems all the gnr fans hate cause of a subpar tracklist? Given , I'd love to see how well a Metallica GH's would do. Hmmmm. I think Axl is lucky and savvy to keep the name GNR as he knows it's marketable right out the gate , in a huge way.

But the only people who still hold James Hetfield in any high regard are the hardcore fans that wouldn't leave Metallica's side if they broke in their homes and shot their mothers.  With Axl - people that absolutely hate the guy still admit that he's a brilliant writer and was the most influential frontman (which was the point of my original post).

Actually guy , James is held in very high regard by not only his peers but by many major music critics. Remember , unlike axl who only wrote some of gnr's lyrics and a lil bit of music here and there James wrote every metallica lyric and just about ALL the music besides .. think about that for a second. he's been said to be over and over by his peers and music critics to be the BEST heavy metal rythym guitarist of all time. And to see that guy up on stage able to sing those songs as well as play those complex  guitar parts all at once is inspiring.

PEACE BRO!! Roll Eyes

Seriously , we may disagree on this subject but I mean no harm and wish nothing but peace and respect to you also.  peace

campos
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #489 on: February 23, 2005, 11:38:25 PM »

metallica played arenas and sold millions of album wtihout mtv and radio play.when they played monsters of rock 88 stadium tour.they sold more merchandise than headliners van halen and scorpions.guns cant do that.after use your illusions guns was going down.black album destroyed illusion tweens on billboard chart and this album stayed in world charts in 93.black album never left billboard 200 or top pop catalog chart since 91.unforgiven and nothing else matters was bigger hits then dont cry.metallica was the most played mtv artist in 92.they sold more tsirts than any celebrity.

90-metallica won grammy
91-metallica won grammy
92-metallica won grammy

guns n roses played 192 huge shows in 27 countries in 91-93.metallica played 302 huge show in 37 countries.in summer 92 tour metallica blown away guns with their popularity and perfromance.after metallicas set tons of people leave the places.guns closed is each show.because metallica dont care who played  last.and axl has a huge ego

metallica is  household name.even non music fans know them.they are biggest and most important metal band ever.who is guns in the top 10 in rock history maybe.master of puppets sold more than 10 million copies without video clip.that is success.they sold out stadiums with aggressive thrash heavy songs.what about guns in 92.with piano rock

http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/popcat.jsp
http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts-top-50albums-1993.htm
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=19679
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=32817

and in 92 metallica is the only aritst have 4 albums in the catalog charts.kill-ride-master-justice

campos
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #490 on: February 23, 2005, 11:57:25 PM »

27.  1993 the year in charts. (The Year in Music)
Billboard; December 25, 1993; Bronson, Fred
 ... top new pop artist of the year for combined ... updating of The King And ... crossover artist. London is ... the first year-end reggae ... reggae albums of 1993 all ... is No. 3. CATALOG ALBUMS This ... album of the year, while Metallica is the top catalog artist of 1993. Metallica ... 

a rock band played co headlining tour with thrash-heavy metal band.that says alot.metallica was bigger and more important than guns.and dont forget metallica played huge arena tour without opening act.while guns toured with multiplatinum band skid row.metallica sold out 5 nights in la forum without opening act.if they want they only played stadium shows  every where they want.they we so unreal back in 92-93.in my country nobody knows guns and axl except die hard fans
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #491 on: February 24, 2005, 12:07:14 AM »

Bon Jovi beat em both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok ok ok ok ok

mahan during slippery and NJ Bon Jovi were selling out 10 nights, they were the hottest ticket around

they are still huge internationally

and especially in the UK

their last tour "bounce" sold out not only every arena but NFL football stadiums as well.

u all may think they suck, but 100,000,000 bon jovi fans cant be wrong!

Metallica are one of the only bands that can give GNR a run for their money when it comes to memorable riffs.

Axl is a much better singer in my opinion though but James writes some pretty heavy fuckin lyrics.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 12:11:33 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2005, 12:10:47 AM »

That people didnt CARE about axl and his new guns when they "came back" in 2002?!

Right - because as I've said a couple times now: ?2002 meant nothing compared to the legacy he has built. ?People will always remember the huge impact he and Guns had on the biggest level it could've possibly been. ?James Hetfield and Metallica built a strong following but not quite as high up the cultural ladder as Axl/Guns.

For alot of people the 80's version of Metallica means nothing anymore.? People just can't get the silly, goofy, faggish antics and music of today out of their minds long enough to remember how cool they USED to be.

And for alot of people the 80's version and modern version of metallica matters ALOT just going by the attendance of their current tours. The numbers dont lie. metallica still has a very strong fanbase if not stronger then it's been in years.

I agree that Metallica's fan-base is still strong but it's not near the level it was in the early/mid 90's. ?They've done way too much damage to their career since then which is factually undeniable.

Hahaha ...? one song released .. yeah , thats true. Blame axl for not being ABLE to release more material. And remember , GNR @ the VMA's was hyped as a HUGE surprise all day and night , of course people were gunna be a little extra excited. Metallica closing the 2003 show wasnt hyped as some huge surprise and bro , I dunno if you watched the same show I did but the crowd was INTO the medley metallica did , tons of fist pumping and jumping around. Frantic was a brand new , unheard song at the time .. kinda hard for fans to sing along with it. Madagascar was 3 years old and heavily bootlegged when GNR played the VMA's but I dont remember a whole lot of hooting and hollering when they played it?

I don't blame anyone for the material not being released - just stating the facts. ?And how was GN'R's 2002 VMA appearence hyped all day? ?Jimmy Fallon did a 3-second "Patience" reference about 2 minutes before they went on. ?What else happened? ?When did GN'R play Madagascar live before 2001 (and arms were indeed pumping in unison during that tune - watch it again)? ?Metallica's performace was very lackadaisical and I didn't see much emotion at all in that crowd and Frantic had been out for a while by then anyway (St Anger dropped June 5, 2003 after months of downloads - VMA's were nearly three months later).

But atleast they fought the (Napster) battle , napster itself folded and these days we are seeing more and more "pay to download" app's popping up. Atleast they fought the battle every other band was afraid to tackle.

I would call it smart - not afraid. ?Most bands knew the effort was futile and didn't see the point in sacrificing their careers for a lost cause. ?No matter how many pay-sites are coming around there are still dozens of free ones and probably always will be.

Did I miss a survey or something? Pray tell , where do you get the numbers? From your ass? Far more people hold metallica in the lowest regard huh? yeah. Ok buddy. Survey says! Where is it you live again? Axl's mansion?

Dude, seriously - go to a metal concert or a music store (where actual rock/metal fans shop) and just talk to people - you'll see.

If you want to keep basing their success compared to GN'R's off album sales alone - I'll give you that.? Metallica has been releasing albums over the past decade and have consistently remained in the public eye - GN'R hasn't.

Replace "hasnt" with "cant" and I'll agree .. axl seems unable to release an album.

"Can't" and "Unable" aren't the words I'd choose. ?No matter how you view his methods, Axl has never given a release date on the new album. ?Anytime the album has been thought to be finished and about to drop it's been rumors created by people who have no idea whats going on. ?You can't blame Axl for that. ?If and when he gives an official release date and fails to deliver then such criticism will be valid.

But the only people who still hold James Hetfield in any high regard are the hardcore fans that wouldn't leave Metallica's side if they broke in their homes and shot their mothers.? With Axl - people that absolutely hate the guy still admit that he's a brilliant writer and was the most influential frontman (which was the point of my original post).

Actually guy , James is held in very high regard by not only his peers but by many major music critics. Remember , unlike axl who only wrote some of gnr's lyrics and a lil bit of music here and there James wrote every metallica lyric and just about ALL the music besides .. think about that for a second.

I sense a little hypocrisy here. ?How does it go? ?"Pray tell - where are you getting your numbers? ?From your ass?" ?Do you know James' peers and hang out with the "experts" surveying their opinions?

Axl's writing influence is all over Guns most memorable tunes and I think Velvet Revolver has proven that. ?I mean seriously, who the hell outside of these boards is still gonna be talking about "Slither" and "Fall to Pieces" in 5 to 10 years - let alone 10 to 15? ?Meanwhile, WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise City, Patience, November Rain (and many others) are still referenced even today in pop culture. ?And James did NOT write all of Metallica's lyrics...especially in the beginning. ?Dave Mustaine wrote most of Metallica's early lyrics and alot of the music (which of course Metallica has always denied). ?Hell, "Kill'em All" might as well have been Megadeth's first album. ?And while James used to be good at writing metal - take him out of his element and he's got nothing.? Meanwhile, Axl is extremely versatile and artistic but can still rock out with the best of'em.

And keep in mind that this was originally an Axl/Hetfield debate.? GN'R/Metallica arguments aren't really proving anything right or wrong.

Seriously , we may disagree on this subject but I mean no harm and wish nothing but peace and respect to you also.? peace

Agreed.

disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #493 on: February 24, 2005, 12:27:49 AM »

Is there an accurate site for getting album sales from different time periods? Either American or world wide?
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #494 on: February 24, 2005, 12:29:22 AM »

I would just like to say that "The Memory Remains" by Metallica is such a kickass song, it grants them the right to say whetever the fuck they want.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #495 on: February 24, 2005, 12:34:21 AM »

Does it really matter? They're both legendary in my mind.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #496 on: February 24, 2005, 12:38:31 AM »

again, I ask you to not look at the longevity of career nor specific album sales
this is not about blind hero-worship, check my prior posts and you'll see that is not the case at all, I offer very balanced opinions - I happen to believe what Im saying here.
I happen to love Metallica - all i am saying is that Guns made a bigger impact to the wider mainstream culture (and bringing up Hootie is silly and weak point frankly, you could also add Britney or Shania if you're to apply that rationale) - i made reference to Nirvana and Eminem to provide examples - not only huge record sales, but huge impact on popular culture through their music and the press they received. Notorious, controversial, topical and vital - not to mention hugely influential.

Guns were a legendary band in their heyday - between 87-91 they had a golden air about them, like you could sense the legend building by the day - very few bands/acts acheive this

If i mis-stated facts in that list, my mistake.
I dont agree with everything on it but it does contribute to some of my argument.

There is no doubt that GNR was a legendary band in their heyday but so was Metallica. In fact, Metallica are still considered a legendary band and is looked upon as a huge influence on the metal genre. GNR doesn't quite reach that level where most in the genre lists them as an influence. I think they definitely would have gotten there if they continued on, though.

You can't say you don't agree with everything on that list and then ?present it as if its factual. Do you think Bon Jovi was bigger and more influential than GNR? If you say no, then that proves that list means nothing. ?You can't pick and choose what is factual and what is not.
campos
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #497 on: February 24, 2005, 12:48:38 AM »

one metal band ruled the pop stars
http://www.allmetallica.com/news/031402.shtml

and in 93,metallica released highest certified music video ever.while guns released worst selling cover album ever by a popular mtv band
campos
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #498 on: February 24, 2005, 01:23:20 AM »

Bon Jovi beat em both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok ok ok ok ok

mahan during slippery and NJ Bon Jovi were selling out 10 nights, they were the hottest ticket around

they are still huge internationally

and especially in the UK

their last tour "bounce" sold out not only every arena but NFL football stadiums as well.

u all may think they suck, but 100,000,000 bon jovi fans cant be wrong!

Metallica are one of the only bands that can give GNR a run for their money when it comes to memorable riffs.

Axl is a much better singer in my opinion though but James writes some pretty heavy fuckin lyrics.

st anger debuted number one in 30 countries.this is record in hard rock history

metallica sold 12 million concert tickets in the last 10 years.north america only

their least selling album sold at least 5 million copies worldwide.biggest fan base in the world

they won pop catalog artist of the year award almost every year since 91.look at his link.they sold 3.3 million albums in just north america 2001.without new album

Metallica remain rock music's biggest catalog seller, with more than 3.31 million copies sold of their various albums in the past year, underscoring what Metallica obviously feel is at stake in the band's continued legal battle with music-swapping service Napster.

Catalog kudos also go to the Beatles, whose Beatles 1 provided the group with a #1 record on the Billboard albums chart more than 30 years after the Fab Four disbanded. In 1995 and '96, all three volumes in the Beatles Anthology series also debuted in the top spot during their respective chart run, and CDs from the entire Beatles catalog (aside from Beatles 1) have sold more than 2.12 million copies during 2000 alone.

Among the other perennial sellers whose catalogs moved more than a million in 2000 were Pink Floyd (2.01 million), the Dave Matthews Band (1.40 million), Elvis Presley (1.33 million), Frank Sinatra (1.32 million), Led Zeppelin (1.32 million), AC/DC (1.23 million), Bob Dylan (1.19 million) and the Eagles (1.03 million).

http://www.nsyncworld.com/info/articles/24.shtml

Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #499 on: February 24, 2005, 01:25:19 AM »

One thing that you might want to think about in the ongoing Metallica vs. Guns N' Roses debate is influence. ?I think that even though they're the two best hard rock/metal bands of the last 20 years, Metallica has had a far, far greater influence on young bands than Guns N' Roses. ?First of all, there was their initial influence back in the 80s, when they put out Kill 'Em All and became the first and most popular thrash band in San Francisco, becoming the prime movers of the whole thrash metal scene. ?Then you've got their influence on hard rock/metal in the 90s and 2000s. ?Almost every "heavy" band out there today will claim to have been influenced by Metallica. ?You can see a lot of James Hetfield vocal clones out there (like Sully from Godsmack, or the bald dude from Disturbed). ?James' vocal style was actually the prime reason why rock vocalists moved from the high-pitched 70s/80s style into a deeper and more gruff tone.

Guns N' Roses, on the other hand, were and still are vastly popular, but they didn't have nearly as much musical influence as Metallica on new bands. ?Guns were really the last and best of the traditional hard rock bands, but even though (in my opinion) they perfected the Aerosmith/Stones hard rock cocktail and the sleaze metal of the Sunset Strip bands, they really came at the tail end of it. ?So while people will profess love for GN'R, their influence isn't as solid. ?There were never any squawking Axl clones, or any top-hatted Slash replicas. ?I think the only really huge band that had any influence by GN'R was Skid Row.

Look at it this way. ?Metallica caused the birth of many new subgenres of rock music. ?Guns N' Roses were the last gasp of another.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: