Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 484647 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #2380 on: April 04, 2009, 03:13:04 AM »

Looking forward to seeing Metallica play tonight with both Rob and with Jason! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #2381 on: April 04, 2009, 03:14:09 AM »

Any guesses for what they might play?

I reckon they'll play Enter Sandman or One with Jason, and maybe something off Death Magnetic with Rob.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2382 on: April 04, 2009, 05:16:35 AM »

I'd say either sad but true or enter sandman is a safe bet.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #2383 on: April 04, 2009, 09:09:41 AM »

Has Suicide & Redemption been played live yet?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #2384 on: April 04, 2009, 10:57:24 AM »

would love to see Fade To Black or The Unforgiven...but ya I can see Enter Sandman, One or Nothing Else Matters

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #2385 on: April 04, 2009, 01:48:53 PM »

Well, I know how talented Rob is, but here?s what happens: you can bring the best musician in the history of the world to replace someone in any band, but some guys are "The" guys for a certain band. People claim Trujillo is better than Newsted, however(and with all the mad respect Burton deserves) jason is "The" guy for Metallica. Ever since he left, the stage feels quite empty and background vocals have sucked. I?ve seen Metallica with Jason and Rob on bass guitar, and nothing compares to the energy and connection with the crowd that Jason had.

So, seeing Jasonic with them at least for 1 song is gonna be fuckin awesome!!! and again, I could only wish he stayed or at least that he could come back some day.
My feelings exactly.

Cliff was in fact "the guy" for Metallica...their best 3 albums are all with Cliff...and the stuff Jason did doesnt even come close to touching what Cliff did, and I say this as a Jason fan as well...then again lets remember we are talking about bass playing here, isnt bass one step up from playing the kazoo? (so says Dave Mustaine) hihi

Respect your opinion but I disagree in some stuff. You are right when you say that with Cliff they released their best 3 albums, absolutely. However, with Jason on board they solidified their name in music history...The thing here is Cliff is sadly gone, that?s why I?m only talking about Jason and Robert, and I must insist...Jason?s energy, crowd contact and background vocals are waaaaayyy better than what they are doing now. I just can?t like Rob onstage, the way he acts and moves. Kirk?s background vocals are painful to listen to. How I miss the old performances of Seek and Destroy with Jason going at it full force.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #2386 on: April 04, 2009, 03:52:49 PM »

Any guesses for what they might play?

I reckon they'll play Enter Sandman or One with Jason, and maybe something off Death Magnetic with Rob.

I think they should play three songs.

I would bet my life that they do Sandman with Jason.

And they will play something with Rob, probably Master or Puppets.  I hope they play some DM stuff too.

Not that I'm aware of.
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2387 on: April 04, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »

How I miss the old performances of Seek and Destroy with Jason going at it full force.
Not to metion creeping death, the versions on the live shit record are godlike

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2388 on: April 04, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »

I heard they are playing 2 songs tonight, Sandman and Puppets...read it on blabbermouth...
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #2389 on: April 04, 2009, 05:53:59 PM »

I heard they are playing 2 songs tonight, Sandman and Puppets...read it on blabbermouth...

That would be satisfactory.
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #2390 on: April 04, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »

They jammed a couple of minutes of it the other night when they came back on for their encore.
Sounded killer too from what I've seen on youtube.

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #2391 on: April 04, 2009, 10:48:07 PM »

The Scoop on Metallica's Secret Friday Bash at HOB

"Why is everyone leaving me?" "Fleming, why are you doing this to me?"

The short middle-aged guy is leaning up against the bar, joking with Fleming at the end of what might be just another night at House of Blues. Except that tonight, we're talking about legendary Metallica producer Fleming Rasmussen, the current subject of torment from Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich, who is still hanging out at nearly
3 a.m. at HOB's bar.

On the eve of Metallica's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the band gather at HOB for a super-hush hush party hosted by their longtime management Q Prime, with only friends, Q Prime employees and select label execs on the invite list. Earlier in the week, rumors began to circulate that Metallica would play a secret show before/after the induction ceremonies. By the end of the week, rumors of the event had been downgraded to "private party" status and HOB employees did their best to appear completely unaware of the event, with one employee emailing me back the reply "I honestly haven't heard anything about that!" in response to my inquiry trying to confirm the event. Another associate spoke with Metallica brass and got the message "If Metallica doesn't know you, you're not getting in."

I was there with a label friend of mine that had a high placed connection with Megaforce Records founder Jonny Zazula, and a promise to get in the door on that evening. The only problem is that we've got a bad connection with Jonny's wife Marsha, who keeps answering Jonny's cell phone, unable to hear the caller on the other end.

After a few more phone calls, we decide that it's time to find another way into House of Blues. We encounter a quick roadblock with the HOB employees working the door/guest list, "Who are you" is the question that comes from the HOB employee. "Jonny Zazula" replies my friend. "Who is he?" is the question directed toward me. "Don't I get a plus one?" "No ... um ... well OK, go on inside."

And like that, we're inside. My friend immediately hunts down Jonny Zazula, hugs are exchanged, and Jonny laughs when he hears that we used his name to get in the door. Tonight's party is the best party you've never been to ? free food, free booze and an audience with a dizzying list of future Rock Hall inductees, presenters, and tons of celeb friends.

No pictures is the rule, with the understanding that if you are caught taking pictures with your cell phone camera or otherwise, you'll be shown the door immediately. This allows for an atmosphere that finds all four Metallica members ? singer James Hetfield, drummer Ulrich, guitarist Kirk Hammett and bass player Robert Trujillo ? to hang at ease with friends and family with minimal interruptions. It is without a doubt, one big giant Metallica family reunion, as the members of Metallica reminisce and swap stories with their longtime former and current business associates, musical comrades, and family.

There are staff photographers on hand, hired to capture the evening's events on film. Legendary guitarist Jimmy Page is holding court, talking with Anthrax members Scott Ian and Charlie Benante. Hetfield is deep in conversation with Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry, who is walking with the aid of a lavish wooden cane, the result of recent hip surgery. Others in attendance: legendary Metallica producer Bob Rock (no hard feelings about the trash can drums, I guess,) syndicated radio personality Eddie Trunk, longtime Rolling Stone scribe David Fricke and a couple of former Metallica bass players.

That's right, Jason Newsted AND original Metallica bass player Ron McGovney are both in attendance for the evening. With Rock and Trujillo there, we've got all four bass players from Metallica in the same room. It's good to see Newsted there, and Father Time has been good to him ? he doesn't appear to have aged a day since his 2001 departure from the band. For anyone that was wondering the current state of relations between Newsted and Metallica, it's apparent that things are currently all good, at least for this weekend.

Celebration is the focus for not only the pending Rock Hall induction, but also the incredible legacy of Metallica. And that's why tonight feels so good, because nearly all of the principal players that helped Metallica carve out that legacy, are at House of Blues. It appears that no one was left off the guest list, and nearly all have come to Cleveland to celebrate ? current and former Q Prime staffers, the previously mentioned musical friends, and some important living breathing footnotes in Metalli-history, including "Metal" Joe Chimienti and "Rockin'" Ray Dill. As members of the "Metal Militia," Dill and Chimienti gave crucial early support to the band and also
gave the band a place to stay in their early days. Chimienti's house was also the birthplace for many of the writing sessions for a little album called Ride The Lightning.

During an impromptu roast late in the evening, Dill stood in front of a giant ice sculpture in the Metalli-appropriate shape of a "middle finger salute" (there was also an ice sculpture of "devil horns,") and recalled selling his New Jersey home to a group of young adults. When he told them that James Hetfield had gotten sick in the bathroom, the kids paid attention, remodeling the entire house, except for the hallowed bathroom, which would remain untouched.

McGovney spoke, recalling that the band would refer to themselves as the "young metal attack," a phrase that was used on some of the band's earliest T-shirts and merchandise ? "Young because that's what we
were, Metal, because that's what it was, and Attack, because that's what we did to each other." There were no speeches from the members of Metallica ? there would be plenty of time for that during Saturday's ceremonies ? tonight was all about having fun.

For Metallica, it was an evening that also showed they hadn't forgotten where they came from, or the people who got them there. And how many times do you get the chance to bump elbows with Joe Perry and Jimmy Page in the same room? It was a night to remember for all in attendance, and from this guy here, I'll rate it at two metal horns, way up. Best. Night. Ever. ?Matt Wardlaw

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #2392 on: April 05, 2009, 01:22:32 AM »

Metallica is putting on an awesome show, and Flea's speech was incredible.  We waited up all night to watch this!
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #2393 on: April 05, 2009, 01:42:50 AM »

My point has been proven, Jason Stepped all over Kirk and Rob in the background vocals department. Did anyone see how Rob was kinda on the side while the band accepted the induction?

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2394 on: April 05, 2009, 01:49:11 AM »

Awsome. MoP wasn't the greatest performance, but Sandman was great. Great speeches from everyone, and an awesome performance overall.
God, it was amazing seeing Jason with them again. Would be awesome if they toured with the two bassists.
Huge props to Metallica for acknowledging the past and putting on a classy induction. Everyone up there deserved it.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2395 on: April 05, 2009, 05:49:30 AM »

Awsome. MoP wasn't the greatest performance, but Sandman was great. Great speeches from everyone, and an awesome performance overall.
God, it was amazing seeing Jason with them again. Would be awesome if they toured with the two bassists.
Huge props to Metallica for acknowledging the past and putting on a classy induction. Everyone up there deserved it.

there is no band that treats their fans with more respect than Metallica.  They gave the fans exactly what they wanted tonight, and delivered as always... ok
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #2396 on: April 05, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »

Enter Sandman sounds badass with two basses.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #2397 on: April 05, 2009, 11:22:43 PM »

personally i thought that there preformance was a little below par, james' voice wasn't the best that night in my opinion.

i did like how they had jason come back with them only when i got to thinking about it, why didn't they have Dave Mustaine come back for a song or jam session or something like they did with jason?

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2398 on: April 05, 2009, 11:30:12 PM »

personally i thought that there preformance was a little below par, james' voice wasn't the best that night in my opinion.

i did like how they had jason come back with them only when i got to thinking about it, why didn't they have Dave Mustaine come back for a song or jam session or something like they did with jason?
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115274

MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has posted the following "open letter" on the band's official web site:

"METALLICA, as you know, has been selected to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So, it is with much respect that I say congratulations!

"I also had the nice surprise of hearing that they called to invite me to the pre-ceremony party the night before, and then to the actual ceremony. Unfortunately, as you all know, I will be winding down our European tour with JUDAS PRIEST, so I will be unable to attend. However, I'd like to say to Lars (Ulrich) and James (Hetfield), I am so very proud of all you have accomplished. I will continue to pray for the very best for you and your families, as I always have.

"Thank you for the invitation and thinking of me."

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2399 on: April 05, 2009, 11:32:08 PM »

Updated: METALLICA Performs With Two Bassists At ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME; Video Available - Apr. 4, 2009

METALLICA played "Master Of Puppets" and "Enter Sandman" at tonight's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, with the band's former bassist Jason Newsted and his replacement, Robert Trujillo, both taking part in the performance (the group played as a five-piece). They also led a "surprise jam" at the end of the night consisting of "Train Kept A Rollin'", with RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS' Flea, LED ZEPPELIN's Jimmy Page, AEROSMITH's Joe Perry and Jeff Beck (see video below).

METALLICA was inducted by RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS bassist Flea. With his hair dyed blue and wearing a vintage METALLICA T-shirt under a green blazer, Flea recalled the first time he heard METALLICA, in 1984 while on tour with the PEPPERS. It was 3 in the morning, they were tired, crammed into a van and sick of being on the road, and "this music comes on the radio, and I couldn't believe that it fucking existed," Flea said, according to MTV.com, as guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield jokingly covered his daughter's ears. "It was like I had been living in this normal world, where I knew what everything was that came on the radio, and all of a sudden my mind was being blown by this beautiful, violent thing that was unlike anything I had ever heard before in my life."

Flea profanely described staring at the radio in awe at this music that was explosive, precise, aggressive and intense, with wild and bizarre rhythm changes that he couldn't describe. "I didn't know what it was; the only thing I knew for sure was that it was a mighty thing," he said of "Fight Fire with Fire", likening METALLICA's unique sound to a rarified "cosmic chemistry" and paying moving homage to the special gift of late bassist Cliff Burton, who died in 1986 in a bus accident while on tour with the group.

"When a person gets rocking to their music, everything else disappears, and that person is just one with the rock," Flea said. "It is an inexplicable, awesome thing, and I bow down to it."

Hetfield and drummer Lars Ulrich hugged onstage after giving speeches, and both thanked fans who have followed the band through its ups-and-downs that included the death of Cliff Burton.

"I think rock and roll is about possibilities and about dreams," Ulrich said. "The fact that the six of us can be up on the stage tonight, snot-nosed kids, outcasts, loners who grew up in very different parts of the world, in very different situations and make it here tonight, to this wonderful night in front of all these people down here ... Rock and roll truly is about possibilities. Look at us. METALLICA's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! Can you fucking believe that?"

Hetfield started his thanks with a list of bands he'd like to see enter next, which included KISS, RUSH, THIN LIZZY, TED NUGENT, IRON MAIDEN and MOT?RHEAD. He also dedicated the award to the young musicians trying to make it. "Dream big and dare to fail," he said. "I dare you to do that. Because this is living proof that it is possible to make a dream come true."

METALLICA flew in from Paris, where the group played Wednesday and Thursday nights. The band planned to rehearse with Newsted at soundcheck on Friday but the equipment and the crew apparently arrived later than expected, forcing the soundcheck to be rescheduled for this morning (Saturday).

Video: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=117548

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: